Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2015 2:04:24 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting a boat, but this it nuts....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2934289/Infographic-reveals-real-cost-owning-superyacht.html

How do you do it?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

How do you do it?
View Quote

Easy.  Sold it
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh. Switch from .40 to 9mm. You can pay for the boat with the money you save apparently.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be more interested to hear why someone with so much money picks such damn ugly boats.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sold all of my .22 ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked on a new build a few years ago (google Cakewalk Yacht, f'in thing's amazing). They never told us how much it cost, but the guy doing the fairing and painting told me that his work was worth somewhere between 14 an 17 million dollars. Including 1400 gallons of fairing compound (like marine Bondo) for $70 a gallon.

Anyway......

He also charters that thing out for a million a week.  Or used to, I see it's for sale now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The 2nd happiest day of a boat owners life is when they buy the boat. The happiest day of their life is when they sell it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be more interested to hear why someone with so much money picks such damn ugly boats.  
View Quote

Most of the drawings are pretty poor. I hadn't heard of jobs boat. I'll have to go find that one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Skippering and maintaining boats for rich people is my profession. I don't screw around with motor yachts as I don't want to have to essentially live with them,I just deal with their sailing play toys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I just use mine on the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 2nd happiest day of a boat owners life is when they buy the boat. The happiest day of their life is when they sell it.

View Quote

anybody that says that was either never really interested in boating to begin with or has never owned a boat
i have a boat  slipped and 2 sea doo GTX's. maintenance is roughly $500 or less a year depending on maintenace interval for all 3 combined
i love being on the water with family and friends and know several people that live on their boat
a lot of half hearted "boaters" will buy a boat use it at first then park it and let it rot alll the while bitching about it not starting when they want to go out after 5 months at a time of it sitting there neglected
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!  I am a repeat offender.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just use mine on the weekend.
View Quote

im on texoma every weekend rain or shine
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my boat. It gets used some year round but at leSt twice a week spring through fall. Treat them well and maintain them and you will get years of enjoyment. This may only apply to outboards in fresh water though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
No mater how much money I had I still wouldn't own a luxury yacht. I don't like being out at sea for nay length of time but I would buy something like a 42' Fountain Lightning.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Bust

Out

Another

Thousand

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
A second mortgage.......I guess.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#18]
sorry my math was off, my point was invalid. rich people cannot afford super yachts, due to my mathematical errors.

sorry rich people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#19]
They do it because they can..!
Have lived in that world for 30 years. It's just money and money they don't even think about.
Quote from a previous boss: if I have to think about the money i spend on Boating I should find something else to do !
Thank God for rich people !
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
As said by many airplane owners "Boat owners have no idea how to spend money"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I worked on a new build a few years ago (google Cakewalk Yacht, f'in thing's amazing). They never told us how much it cost, but the guy doing the fairing and painting told me that his work was worth somewhere between 14 an 17 million dollars. Including 1400 gallons of fairing compound (like marine Bondo) for $70 a gallon.

Anyway......

He also charters that thing out for a million a week.  Or used to, I see it's for sale now.
View Quote

wow, that thing is a beaut clark. just picture the views you could wake up to with that. sadly for
me i get sea sick so my view would be puke on the windows
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of getting a boat, but this it nuts....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2934289/Infographic-reveals-real-cost-owning-superyacht.html

How do you do it?
View Quote

Living in Mothers basement...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a new boat in 07.  I had very specific reasons for buying a boat. 1 was to make memories that I could carry with me for life. See life in my early years was not great.  My relationship with my parents was fractured to say the least and my dad was making efforts to right his wrongs and was doing good on it.  I found out he had cancer and the best times of my life were fishing with my dad and brothers as a kid. No one in my family could afford a boat but me. Out the door I spent about 70k and spend about 500 a year on upkeep like oil changes and keeping the motor in tip top shape.  Some of the best days of my life have been out on the ocean catching fish.
In 4 days in 07 we filled a chest freezer with salmon fillets fresh from the ocean, I catch halibut, salmon, strippers, white sturgeon, Albacore and kokanee
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

anybody that says that was either never really interested in boating to begin with or has never owned a boat
i have a boat  slipped and 2 sea doo GTX's. maintenance is roughly $500 or less a year depending on maintenace interval for all 3 combined
i love being on the water with family and friends and know several people that live on their boat
a lot of half hearted "boaters" will buy a boat use it at first then park it and let it rot alll the while bitching about it not starting when they want to go out after 5 months at a time of it sitting there neglected
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent 18 months cruising around on my sailboat starting from the Great Lakes and sailing it south to the Bahamas. I guarantee that I spent a lot more money and invested a lot more time than you did.

If I had it to do over again knowing exactly what I know now and things were going to be no different I'd still do it again. However, when we sold our boat I never regretted it and I've never looked back.

Someday I'll pick myself up a little skiff to fish the flats with, but I also have no illusions that I'm not buying another hole in the water to dump money into; albeit a smaller hole, but a hole none the less.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
With sport fishing boats you have to be able to throw $100 bills into the water while you are underway and it not affect you in the least to really afford one.  Anything less and you are close to bankruptcy

Megayachts, the boat is usually the least of their worries....private jets to fly to the boat....most of the rich boating folk I know just tell the boat to go to point A, I'll fly there, pick me up at the airport , have a hotel suite ready

It really is a different world of expenses and priorities. ...2 million in fuel is really like paying for Internet for most folks
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Yo..Tier1

Your math is a bit off. 10% of 100m is $10m. Which is about $27/day. that is the start point. The nifty what's it going to cost chart is nothing more than a generalization. There are people that have $3m boats that spend $1.5m/year. It greatly depends on what they want to do, where they want to go and to what comfort level ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Used 14' boat and 25 hp motor was $1500 about 15 years ago.

A lot of my summer runs are 6mi. and some others are 15 mi.

Farther south in the ten thousand islands, the runs can get 30 mi.

So....I think to get about 20 mpg.

Keeping up with the other shit is where I spend money.
Life jackets
fire extenguisher
lights
cushion
registation
parts for motor, I am the mechanic
just rebuilt trailer, paint, lights, rollers, bunks, bearings
upkeep lists just go on.

bigger boat = more upkeep
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I spent 18 months cruising around on my sailboat starting from the Great Lakes and sailing it south to the Bahamas. I guarantee that I spent a lot more money and invested a lot more time than you did. are we in a competition i didnt know about? lol

If I had it to do over again knowing exactly what I know now and things were going to be no different I'd still do it again. However, when we sold our boat I never regretted it and I've never looked back. the parts in orange dont compute to me, sounds to me like you really enjoyed yourself and spent a good bit of money sailing in incredibly harsh waters. the great lakes and the ocean will take its toll on any equipment.

Someday I'll pick myself up a little skiff to fish the flats with, but I also have no illusions that I'm not buying another hole in the water to dump money into; albeit a smaller hole, but a hole none the less. using this reasoning anything you enjoy doing is considered a "hole"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent 18 months cruising around on my sailboat starting from the Great Lakes and sailing it south to the Bahamas. I guarantee that I spent a lot more money and invested a lot more time than you did. are we in a competition i didnt know about? lol

If I had it to do over again knowing exactly what I know now and things were going to be no different I'd still do it again. However, when we sold our boat I never regretted it and I've never looked back. the parts in orange dont compute to me, sounds to me like you really enjoyed yourself and spent a good bit of money sailing in incredibly harsh waters. the great lakes and the ocean will take its toll on any equipment.

Someday I'll pick myself up a little skiff to fish the flats with, but I also have no illusions that I'm not buying another hole in the water to dump money into; albeit a smaller hole, but a hole none the less. using this reasoning anything you enjoy doing is considered a "hole"

some people go to strip clubs and spend money others go to sporting events
the simple fact is, if you think spending money on something that you enjoy doing is dumping it into a hole then you are doing it wrong friend
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

spot on from what i have seen of many "boat owners"

i have a family member who just sold his flats boat, when he first got it he asked me to teach him how to fish.
he refuse to take a flats boat near the flats "he was afraid he would run it aground" then he wouldn't get
anywhere near oyster bars (chasing red fish) "to risky for his boat" so finally we found him a shallow reef
in about 6 foot of water and caught spinner shark all day. i went with him several times as he really enjoyed
this one and only spot about 5 miles out in the gulf with his flats boat

it was a 2012 he paid 25k for it, used it less than 20 times and sold it for 9k.

there is one born everyday.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hardly true, except for those that just have a boat to have it. For others, it's more than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly true, except for those that just have a boat to have it. For others, it's more than that.

This. Also I don't get the bust out another thousand crap. Like anything if you maintain it you will be fine. If you let it sit with the same fuel and oil and let shit get crusty over winter sure. I bought mine new and keep up with oil changes and flushing out fuel while in storage and have had zero issues in years with lots of use and hours put on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. Also I don't get the bust out another thousand crap. Like anything if you maintain it you will be fine. If you let it sit with the same fuel and oil and let shit get crusty over winter sure. I bought mine new and keep up with oil changes and flushing out fuel while in storage and have had zero issues in years with lots of use and hours put on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

these guys above are boaters
those other guys are just boat owners
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
People who say this usually have come out of an older, less expensive (Bayliner) boat that was unreliable. New boats are trouble free, jump in turn the key and away you go. The Sea Ray has never let us down and neither has our new Starcraft.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 28' Carver Riviera. Bought it for $11,000 five years ago. All total it runs me around $4000 per year. However, I use it every weekend from Mid May to Mid October. It is my weekend cabin and retreat. I could probably knock about $500 off the total at a cheaper marina. But all my friends/drunks are at my current marina. I don't get to take vacations so this is my one vice
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yo..Tier1

Your math is a bit off. 10% of 100m is $10m. Which is about $27/day. that is the start point. The nifty what's it going to cost chart is nothing more than a generalization. There are people that have $3m boats that spend $1.5m/year. It greatly depends on what they want to do, where they want to go and to what comfort level ?
View Quote

i fixed it just for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A thousand? Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiit. The last sails I ordered were $18k for the mainsail,$10k each  for 2 jibs and $9k for a spinnaker
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I owned 1 boat in my entire life.

Sold it for more than I paid for it after about 3yrs I think.

Was a 19' Seaswirl cuddy cabin model sitting on a nice galvanized trailer.

Paid around $4K for it back in 1990 ( boat was approx. 5yrs old ) - sold it for $5500 3 yrs later.

Only improvements I made was about $500 upholstery work and stuck in a cheap $200 car radio into the dash.

Got plenty of use fishing / water ski and lake and Puget sound cruising.

Sold it to the 1st guy to look at it - cash deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A thousand? Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiit. The last sails I ordered were $18k for the mainsail,$10k each  for 2 jibs and $9k for a spinnaker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No wonder. You're one of those wind powered weirdos
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#38]
The only time that I have felt envious of someone's wealth was when I watched a program on super yachts.

Seeing the yachts in person in various European ports is very impressive.

Eta: The Khashoggi yacht was a floating palace.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

the simple fact is, if you think spending money on something that you enjoy doing is dumping it into a hole then you are doing it wrong friend
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a competition, you stated your background, I stated mine. And the fact of the matter is that we're on two different playing fields when it comes to enjoying time on the water. Neither is better, just different experiences, but you assumed that I wasn't interested in boating or had never owned a boat as evidence by your first sentence.

As I said, I don't regret my various trips on my boat and to be perfectly honest if I had to do it over again I'd do it the same way as I said. However, I also harbor no illusions about the cost. Our various trips were very expensive from a lot of stand points involving money, interruptions of our careers, etc...but it was also very rewarding. Cross one more thing off our bucket list.

We bought our boat with the intent of doing what we did, in fact we intended to do it longer but life's events got in the way. One of the things that I did observe is that most people choose the wrong boat for their intended use which results in unnecessary cost and frustrations. And that is where the hole in the water lies. If you feel that you're not getting the most bang out of your buck when it comes to you boat, or airplane, or what ever then it's a hole. The phrase: If it float, flies, or fucks then it's generally better to rent, exist for a reason.

Now I am at the point where I just want to pole along and sight fish, I don't need anything more than that. And yes, the little flats skiff that I'm planning on buying will be a hole in the water that uses up money, and in the long run it will likely be cheaper for me to use a guide. However, there are other intangibles that you cannot really put a price on which will make up for the difference. It will certainly be cheaper than our off shore cruiser by a wide margin, but will cost me more than my kayaks currently cost.

As with all things you mileage might vary; hope this clarifies.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't know if this really qualifies as a boat in the way OP thinks, but I own an 18" bass boat that was given to me by my dad. He bought it virtually brand new in 1978, it's a Bass King produced in the Seattle area from the old Chrysler tri-hull mold. Really the only major maintenance items are keeping it covered in the winter, and winterizing the engine. We have painted it every ten years or so. Dad and I (well, I handed him tools) rebuilt the wooden deck when I was about 6.

Of course it also needs to be licensed yearly, pretty small charge.

So many people just don't maintain their boats, it's ridiculous. Just do the same things you would do with a car. It's really not hard or super expensive.

Now that is coming from the perspective of fresh water boating. I probably wouldn't have this attitude if I owned a salt water boat. We live on a peninsula in the middle of the Puget Sound, with access to great boat launches in all directions, but I'll never put this boat in salt water.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I pull it with my "Bro Dozer"
Fish/Duck hunt/tube all around fun

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's not a competition, you stated your background, I stated mine. And the fact of the matter is that we're on two different playing fields when it comes to enjoying time on the water. Neither is better, just different experiences, but you assumed that I wasn't interested in boating or had never owned a boat as evidence by your first sentence.

As I said, I don't regret my various trips on my boat and to be perfectly honest if I had to do it over again I'd do it the same way as I said. However, I also harbor no illusions about the cost. Our various trips were very expensive from a lot of stand points involving money, interruptions of our careers, etc...but it was also very rewarding. Cross one more thing off our bucket list.

We bought our boat with the intent of doing what we did, in fact we intended to do it longer but life's events got in the way. One of the things that I did observe is that most people choose the wrong boat for their intended use which results in unnecessary cost and frustrations. And that is where the hole in the water lies. If you feel that you're not getting the most bang out of your buck when it comes to you boat, or airplane, or what ever then it's a hole. The phrase: If it float, flies, or fucks then it's generally better to rent, exist for a reason.

Now I am at the point where I just want to pole along and sight fish, I don't need anything more than that. And yes, the little flats skiff that I'm planning on buying will be a hole in the water that uses up money, and in the long run it will likely be cheaper for me to use a guide. However, there are other intangibles that you cannot really put a price on which will make up for the difference. It will certainly be cheaper than our off shore cruiser by a wide margin, but will cost me more than my kayaks currently cost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

despite your clarification
my final sentence stands
things that you enjoy doing usually cost money
i consider spending money on hobbies that i enjoy as money well spent  
the fact that you consider it money wasted tells me you may not have enjoyed yourself as much as you put on (part in red sums it up)

good example
i used to off road and rock climb in a 86 k5 blazer. i spent quite a bit of money on tires, lift, motor, axles, winch, tools and all kinds of parts and repair just to tear shit up and spend more. every time i took it out something would break. some people people would say the same thing "its a hole to throw money in" but i enjoyed it. hobbies cost money. any other way and you just sit at the house naked watching T.V.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I hardly ever even crank the outboards on my three boats anymore.  Trolling motor battery always gets a workout though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#44]
MY Disco Volante

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#45]
The question applies to new pontoon boats as much as it does to mega yachts.  The new high end tri-toon boats will set you back $40,000 to $50,000.  Granted they will let you finance them for 15 or 20 years but still who has the money to make that payment, pay for all the fuel it uses, pay a few thousand for a slip or have a truck good enough to tow it to the lake every weekend?  

How are people affording these $300,000 homes, $50,000 truck, and $50,000 boat in areas that have almost no jobs and the median income is around $30,000.  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 2006 Tiara 2900 open parked in the water behind the house, love it.  Being permanently in the water I am a stickler for maintenance but do a lot of the stuff on the engines and generator myself.  Wash it once a week myself and have it detailed and waxed once a month or so.  Every two years, pull it out of the water and recoat the hull.  After all that expense, it is nothing compared to the cost of gas.  About 200gallons per week if averaged over the year

Looking at buying one to put in the keys near my condo now
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#47]
By owning a cheap boat, and small motor (9.9hp). I spend maybe $200 a year, including tax and registration.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#48]

I'm limited to the size boat that I can tow behind my moms car.... When she will loan it to me.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 12' microcraft and a 1977 15 horse Johnson,total cost of ownership $0.My dog mainly uses it as a house.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#50]
For a boat like that, be very rich.  

The rest of us shmucks do our own maintenance and try to use care on the water so we don't hit a stump to avoid costly repairs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top