BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not quite the same thing.  OP was asking what a missile boat would after expending its missiles, not what they would do if the home country (or at least if BBC Radio 4,) was knocked out.

As an aside, given that being a metric for the opening of the things, I wonder how much money the U.K. spent to make very darn sure BBC Radio 4 never went down?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, look at how the Brits handled it:

Letters of Last Resort

While I'm sure the particulars differ they do give a pretty good idea of the available options.

Not quite the same thing.  OP was asking what a missile boat would after expending its missiles, not what they would do if the home country (or at least if BBC Radio 4,) was knocked out.

As an aside, given that being a metric for the opening of the things, I wonder how much money the U.K. spent to make very darn sure BBC Radio 4 never went down?

The most interesting part to me was the indication that the Brits had considered the option of escaping to an allied country.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Letters of Last Resort

While I'm sure the particulars differ they do give a pretty good idea of the available options.
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The most interesting part to me was the indication that the Brits had considered the option of escaping to an allied country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Letters of Last Resort

I'm still just think about an imaginary conversation in Whitehall:

"Sir!  We've a problem with the submarine communications system!  We can't get in touch with our missile sub!"

"Nothing to worry about, my dear chap, nothing to worry about."

"But Sir, there's also a power outage in the West End!"

"Bloody hell."

ETA:  Seems I jested too soon----apparently, if the Manchester Evening News is to be believed, there was a scare in '04 when Radio 4 actually went off the air for a bit.  I rather doubt it was that serious of an issue, given that everything else in the world was working, but still.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty sure the ssbn's are screwed. They cannot submerge with all the missles gone.

the spook boats have to have concrete poured into some of the empty tubes for ballast.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Letters of Last Resort

What the article references is to have them fall under the C2 of an allied country.  England has to worry since they are relatively physically small having their national command authority quickly eliminated with little flight time for warning.  At least here there's enough space around to spread out risk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I asked my Pop this year's ago.  His response was he wasn't worried about it, because after they launched the last one his plan was to go to his cabin and eat a bullet.  He figured if it got that bad, we would all be dead and he would have no reason to go on after the launch.
View Quote

I'd have to think AU or NZ would offer a port they could respply at. Not sure if they'd be targets by the Soviets, so they might be in danger from that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh those silly all male crews...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
During the Cold War they were going to beach on an uninhabated island and start repopulating the world.

Don't be ridiculous.  There would be plenty of women to pick up from the oceans after they were blown out of their countries by the nukes.  That's why you want all male crews.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure the ssbn's are screwed. They cannot submerge with all the missles gone.

the spook boats have to have concrete poured into some of the empty tubes for ballast.
View Quote

Uh, what?  

ETA:  Ok, maybe someone can tell me I'm wrong, but a UGM-133 seems to weigh 130,000 pounds, per Wikipedia.  The physical dimensions of said missile, ignoring the space around the missile in the tube, are such that water, occupying the same space, would weigh nearly three times that.

ETA2:  I guess if they launched on the surface, then submerged with the missile doors sealed.........but even then I doubt it.  In short:  that's not how it works; that's not how any of this works!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
So after full on exchange the other side is going to instantly know when a sub surfaces anywhere in the world and meets up with a surface ship .... really?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Irrelevant. The UFO people would have revealed themselves and deactivated all the missiles mid-flight. No high-energy weapons would work anymore, so we'd have to go back to bludgeoning each other to death.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhhhh, no.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to Australia and repopulate with convict girls.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So after full on exchange the other side is going to instantly know when a sub surfaces anywhere in the world and meets up with a surface ship .... really?
View Quote

In the event of a full exchange, will assets on either side capable of ASW continue seeking enemy subs (likely with extra vigor) until they themselves are neutralized?  Most likely.

Will subs be able to get reliable communications to some higher command capable of authorizing resupply missions to rendezvous with said subs in a safe environment without the possibility of interception by the other side?  Not likely.

Will random resupply assets cruise around looking for friendly subs to help?  No.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sheesh, what does he know?  Besides, he's obviously crazy and shouldn't be trusted, since he, you know, served on subs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think they are easily resupplied at sea ... then their job would be finding enemy naval forces

No submarine is easily resupplied at sea. And during a shooting war, you don't want a submarine hanging out surfaced.

I find that very hard to believe ... especially if they are out of food.

Yeah god forbid you actually listen to the guy who has SERVED ON SUBS........

Sheesh, what does he know?  Besides, he's obviously crazy and shouldn't be trusted, since he, you know, served on subs.  

Those bubblehead dudes are a little..off
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't a Boomer that has shot it's missile now just a big slow Really, Really, REALLY Quiet  attack boat?
View Quote

FTFY  :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you take the missiles out pierside, yes, you have to add ballast.

But when you launch them, the tubes fill with water.  There are comp tanks that automatically adjust for the slight diff between seawater and the weight of the missile.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes they could.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes they could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they could.

What do you know?  Like, dude, you were obviously a truck driver in the army or something, so you must know nothing about them fancy boats what go under the waves.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think they are easily resupplied at sea ... then their job would be finding enemy naval forces

No submarine is easily resupplied at sea. And during a shooting war, you don't want a submarine hanging out surfaced.

Lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol

Helo transfers were always exciting.  I always thought I'd rather take my chances with the corpsman and his DIY surgery videos than having to get helo'd off if I got badly hurt or sick.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I asked my Pop this year's ago.  His response was he wasn't worried about it, because after they launched the last one his plan was to go to his cabin and eat a bullet.  He figured if it got that bad, we would all be dead and he would have no reason to go on after the launch.
View Quote

Launching would have given away position even long ago.
Expect a nuke and the resulting pressure wave to have destroyed them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no SSBN would be destroyed by nuke (outside of nearby tactical nuke, like nuclear armed torpedo or depth charge.)

By the time a strategic nuke could get to where a sub was when it launched its missiles, said sub would be far away, and that is assuming instant launch at the sub when it fired----factor in real life, and no, no SSBN would be hit with strategic weapons.

ETA:  Assuming the commander of said putative missile sub didn't decide to just hang around and do nothing after launch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Once an SSBN shoots its load it becomes an SSN.  And they are not that slow.  Not as fast as an SSN but still not slow by any means.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Those bubblehead dudes are a little..off

Hey dude, I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
During the Cold War they were going to beach on an uninhabated island and start repopulating the world.
View Quote

nvm
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Helo transfers were always exciting.  I always thought I'd rather take my chances with the corpsman and his DIY surgery videos than having to get helo'd off if I got badly hurt or sick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Eh... you guys just don't do them enough to be confident in the ability of our rotorheaded brethren.

Seriously though, I always said the only thing that would get me on a wire voluntarily were the words "manila highline"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Yeah, I saw those twice in twenty years. And both times were high speed low drag types for training.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I would imagine that a Submarine Tender would have some capacity to reload a submarine is supports...

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]
They have torpedoes... hunt surface ships.  Then head to Tahiti and repopulate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Where are the approximate areas US SSBNs patrol?  For the Pacific.  I'd figure it'd be south of the Gulf of Alaska outside of shipping lanes.  No idea where they'd be in the Atlantic.  Out in the mid-north Atlantic somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would imagine that a Submarine Tender would have some capacity to reload a submarine is supports...

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1987/DD-ST-87-08790.jpeg

http://mscsealift.dodlive.mil/files/2013/03/USS-Frank-Cable-V.jpg

View Quote

If the wiki is accurate we've only got two tenders left.  There's mention of them being capable of passing out tomahawks but I can't find anything suggesting they can UNREP a Trident II.

The tomahawks look a lot easier to manage provided they're not loaded in seven at a time like that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where are the approximate areas US SSBNs patrol?  For the Pacific.  I'd figure it'd be south of the Gulf of Alaska outside of shipping lanes.  No idea where they'd be in the Atlantic.  Out in the mid-north Atlantic somewhere?
View Quote

That is one of the things that only a select few have any idea about.  The ssbn patrols were one  of the highest claclassifications.  Yes they could possibly patrol mid Pacific closer the the western side.  I know our ssns play cat and mouse with the russian ssns and ssbns but that is their primary job.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

With what women?  During the Cold War there were no women on subs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay.... that was the only flaw in the plan....

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone else know that we (the nuclear equipped nations) have exploded something like 2100 nuclear weapons since 1945? IIRC about half above ground-granted in "isolated" parts of the world but still......

I'm not saying a full on nuke war wouldn't suck.....but I think a lot of us would survive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't they naturally flood upon firing?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#38]
If you do a little research from the 80's a Victor class ssn was caught in a fishing net in the Puget sound.  It drug a fishing boat for a few miles befor surfacing to get untangled.  That is how close they got.  You van assume ours would do the same.  

The statement about an ssbn being a big SLOW ssn after launch, well lets just say they are a lot faster than you might think.  But yes they are a big ssn after launch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1987/DD-ST-87-08790.jpeg

http://mscsealift.dodlive.mil/files/2013/03/USS-Frank-Cable-V.jpg

View Quote

Yes, in protected waters. The bottom pic is in Guam, I believe, and is of the tender loading a Tomahawk into a VLS tube on a 688. Neither tender supports SSBNs anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No, no SSBN would be destroyed by nuke (outside of nearby tactical nuke, like nuclear armed torpedo or depth charge.)

By the time a strategic nuke could get to where a sub was when it launched its missiles, said sub would be far away, and that is assuming instant launch at the sub when it fired----factor in real life, and no, no SSBN would be hit with strategic weapons.

ETA:  Assuming the commander of said putative missile sub didn't decide to just hang around and do nothing after launch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The precise location of a launch is fixed within seconds of motor ignition.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes they could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they could.

I find that really hard to believe.

Never a sub guy around when you need one's expertise. Sheesh.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they could easily withstand the huge shock wave of a nuke underwater even many miles away.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That is one of the things that only a select few have any idea about.  The ssbn patrols were one  of the highest claclassifications.  Yes they could possibly patrol mid Pacific closer the the western side.  I know our ssns play cat and mouse with the russian ssns and ssbns but that is their primary job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if I had Google Earth on this computer and the range of Trident missiles from Wikipedia, I could figure out where they'd be from the maximum area of impact from seas not close to Russian shores and not under the ice caps.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#44]
All US SSBNs have an odd number of nuclear missiles. Reason being, they are to save one missile so they could steam to any surviving port and demand resupply with the threat of nuking the port if it didn't comply.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#45]
SSBNs launch while submerged.  After launch they do not pop to the surface like a cork.  They can submerge after launch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because they could easily withstand the huge shock wave of a nuke underwater even many miles away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not even sure any country fields nuclear torpedoes or depth charges as they are pretty much a suicide weapon. And for a myriad of reasons, targeting an SSBN with an SLBM/ICBM seems very remote/not likely.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convict, I mean, Australian females could be selected by computer for factors from youth, health, sexual fertility, intelligence, and a cross-section of necessary skills.

Naturally, they would breed prodigiously, eh? There would be much time, and little to do. Ha, ha. But ah, with the proper breeding techniques and a ratio of say, ten females to each male, I would guess that they could then work their way back to the present Gross National Product within say, twenty years.

But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious...service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

It is an astonishingly good idea, yes?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the crew doesn't even know where their patrol area is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/19/19e3c5963b43b35ffdbb9c2caf78ece18cf63f74bb1b39ddc5e6d7662367172d.jpg

You sir win the internet for the day
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not even sure any country fields nuclear torpedoes or depth charges as they are pretty much a suicide weapon. And for a myriad of reasons, targeting an SSBN with an SLBM/ICBM seems very remote/not likely stupidly difficult and a waste of a strategic weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not even sure any country fields nuclear torpedoes or depth charges as they are pretty much a suicide weapon. And for a myriad of reasons, targeting an SSBN with an SLBM/ICBM seems very remote/not likely stupidly difficult and a waste of a strategic weapon.

FIFY.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top