Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/31/2015 1:01:09 PM EDT
I didn't want to derail the missile silo thread, so I started a new one.

If a nuclear war had taken place between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, what were nuclear submarines supposed to do after they had fired all their missiles?

I mean in a worst-case scenario, if they had "shot their wad", so to speak, and all US or friendly ports were destroyed by Soviet nukes, where were they supposed to go?

I assume space is at a premium on a submarine, so how long could they go w/o re-supply?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
During the Cold War they were going to beach on an uninhabated island and start repopulating the world.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
During the Cold War they were going to beach on an uninhabated island and start repopulating the world.
View Quote

Oh those silly all male crews...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

With what women?  During the Cold War there were no women on subs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If a nuclear war had taken place between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, what were nuclear submarines supposed to do after they had fired all their missiles?

I mean in a worst-case scenario, if they had "shot their wad", so to speak, and all US or friendly ports were destroyed by Soviet nukes, where were they supposed to go?

I assume space is at a premium on a submarine, so how long could they go w/o re-supply?
View Quote

Secondary mission, ASW.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so serious?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think they are easily resupplied at sea ... then their job would be finding enemy naval forces
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Secondary mission, ASW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secondary mission, ASW.

Yep.  No reason to let those torpedoes go to waste.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't say it was a good plan.  

But the non-joke answer is report in to the remaining command and control elements for additional orders, I wouldn't be surprised if they had them rendezvous with remaining forces to replace lost personnel but really nobody that's actually going to say anything knows for sure and even then there would be a lot of seat of the pants decisions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not gonna stop 'em from trying.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would think they are easily resupplied at sea ... then their job would be finding enemy naval forces
View Quote

No submarine is easily resupplied at sea. And during a shooting war, you don't want a submarine hanging out surfaced.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Silent Running?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silent Running?

Run Silent, Run Deep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Run Silent, Run Deep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silent Running?

Run Silent, Run Deep.

On the Beach.

ETA:

or the remake

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Being on an SSN I think finding a place in the pacific with island girls would by my desire..  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

To alternate places.

Normal load-out is 90 days food.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Go here
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No submarine is easily resupplied at sea. And during a shooting war, you don't want a submarine hanging out surfaced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine an SSBN surfacing would basically be an act of suicide in such circumstances.

I would also suspect that given how our SSNs would be making it their mission in life to destroy every enemy SSBN possible, the other side would be doing the same.  Given the fervor with which enemy ASW units would be hunting boomers, and given how un-stealthy launching ICBMs is, I reckon the most likely mission of an SSBN after launching its missiles is to act as a target for the other side.

ETA:

Lt. George:  "Captain, what should we do if we trod on a mine?"
Captain Blacakadder:  "Well leftenant, the usual procedure is to leap 300 feet in the air, then scatter yourself about the landscape."
Lt. George:  "Very good Sir!"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find that very hard to believe ... especially if they are out of food.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet those crews hated those war games.

"Aww, come on Skipper - we did the uninhabited island execise last month!"  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/19/19e3c5963b43b35ffdbb9c2caf78ece18cf63f74bb1b39ddc5e6d7662367172d.jpg

LOL,
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I asked my Pop this year's ago.  His response was he wasn't worried about it, because after they launched the last one his plan was to go to his cabin and eat a bullet.  He figured if it got that bad, we would all be dead and he would have no reason to go on after the launch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I asked my Pop this year's ago.  His response was he wasn't worried about it, because after they launched the last one his plan was to go to his cabin and eat a bullet.  He figured if it got that bad, we would all be dead and he would have no reason to go on after the launch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
the new subs are solar powered  .    
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'd imagine an SSBN surfacing would basically be an act of suicide in such circumstances.

I would also suspect that given how our SSNs would be making it their mission in life to destroy every enemy SSBN possible, the other side would be doing the same.  Given the fervor with which enemy ASW units would be hunting boomers, and given how un-stealthy launching ICBMs is, I reckon the most likely mission of an SSBN after launching its missiles is to act as a target for the other side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ocean is very much big.

And unstealthy or not, Ivan has to generate a target package, get it approved, and transmitted out to the actual shooters.  Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and call that 1hr.  Then we've got launch stuff that has to happen, plus time of flight.

Heck, you've got time to catch a meal, a movie and squeeze in a quick nap before any counterfire arrives; by then, we're out of the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, look at how the Brits handled it:

Letters of Last Resort

While I'm sure the particulars differ they do give a pretty good idea of the available options.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes the better part of a day when you're tied up to a pier in a calm harbor.  With cranes.  That's after making a gaping 10' hole in it by removing the escape trunk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]
We always lived at Ground Zero, and being the CO, he had access to all of the CEP and damage/survivability projections.  Pop is the most stable person I know, and to hear that from him was disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And unstealthy or not, Ivan has to generate a target package, get it approved, and transmitted out to the actual shooters.  Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and call that 1hr.  Then we've got launch stuff that has to happen, plus time of flight.

Heck, you've got time to catch a meal, a movie and squeeze in a quick nap before any counterfire arrives; by then, we're out of the neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I know we tried our best to shadow their missile boats with our attack subs during the Cold War, and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they were doing the same.  Assuming my assumption is correct, for at least some of our SSBNs, there would have been a Soviet attack sub skipper somewhere nearby who would have just noticed our sub having pooped out a bunch of canned sunshine for his homeland.  I imagine his response would not be to phone home and ask for instruction.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

'On the Beach'....the old one. 1959 movie.

I see this was already posted.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They regularly do BSPs (Brief Stop for Parts). But these are usually done in protected waters and is only what can be hand carried across a small brow. A surfaced submarine does not have a lot of free board.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah god forbid you actually listen to the guy who has SERVED ON SUBS........
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, look at how the Brits handled it:

Letters of Last Resort

While I'm sure the particulars differ they do give a pretty good idea of the available options.
View Quote

Not quite the same thing.  OP was asking what a missile boat would after expending its missiles, not what they would do if the home country (or at least if BBC Radio 4,) was knocked out.

As an aside, given that being a metric for the opening of the things, I wonder how much money the U.K. spent to make very darn sure BBC Radio 4 never went down?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]
A boomer may not launch it's full compliment of missiles during a first strike, so it's quite possible that after launching (1st strike) the boomers would go deep and quite and wait for orders for a possible 2nd or even 3rd strike.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We always lived at Ground Zero, and being the CO, he had access to all of the CEP and damage/survivability projections.  Pop is the most stable person I know, and to hear that from him was disturbing.
View Quote

We were within the "won't hear the boom before the flash gets ya" zone too, and my dad worked a bit with the primary target in the area.  He never even told us it was there.  I found out myself later and quizzed him on it.  "Weren't no reason to worry anyone."
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#36]
They would rule the sea

I'm pretty sure our nuke subs could go quite some time without resupply, and there were almost certainly secret anchorages and resupply depots all over the world for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh, what does he know?  Besides, he's obviously crazy and shouldn't be trusted, since he, you know, served on subs.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting question.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Not even a 13er!  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Already posted, and nothing to do with the OP's question.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Look again at his user name and avatar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silent Running?

Run Silent, Run Deep.

On the Beach.

ETA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awm50kJQeeI

or the remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBPr3uiAMM

I'll have to check out the original. [:)
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait, this just sank in.

You are suggesting that after a nuclear exchange, even assuming underway replenishment of subs is easy, which it is not, that normal resupply procedures would be in effect?

I mean, I know the world wouldn't actually end, but to suggest that after the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. unloaded on each other and various other parts, along with probable full commitment by the U.K., and possible use by France and China, that an SSBN could just call HQ and get a resupply of anything seems a trifle......over-optimistic.  

At about the level of optimism involved in panning for gold in your own shower.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well, I know we tried our best to shadow their missile boats with our attack subs during the Cold War, and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they were doing the same.  Assuming my assumption is correct, for at least some of our SSBNs, there would have been a Soviet attack sub skipper somewhere nearby who would have just noticed our sub having pooped out a bunch of canned sunshine for his homeland.  I imagine his response would not be to phone home and ask for instruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are procedures for delousing on the way out of port.  Once clear, their chances of regaining contact are to use your words, like panning for gold in the shower.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We were within the "won't hear the boom before the flash gets ya" zone too, and my dad worked a bit with the primary target in the area.  He never even told us it was there.  I found out myself later and quizzed him on it.  "Weren't no reason to worry anyone."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've likely been neighbors at one time or another.  I read a book a few years back, the author somehow got a copy of the old Soviet SIOP.  The fewest number of targeted warheads aimed at me growing up was 3.  All 1Meg ones.  My understanding is that the mission after launch was ASW/ASUW until they were dead or Wnchester, then head to a friendly port or shore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#47]
"Captain, all missiles have been launched. NORAD is reporting total devastation of the northern hemisphere. What are our orders?"

"Our orders are to sail south and find an uninhabited Island where we must begin repopulation procedures."

"But sir, this is an all male crew!"

"We have our orders chief, now go get my lube and assless chaps"

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Isn't a Boomer that has shot it's missile now just a big slow attack boat?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are procedures for delousing on the way out of port.  Once clear, their chances of regaining contact are to use your words, like panning for gold in the shower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't trying to get anyone to say anything they shouldn't, and please don't, I was just saying that both sides play the same game, and while I doubt they were/are our equal, I also doubt that their success rate was zero.  

I mean, I realize that while I am not entirely off-roading here, I am at the least wildly dodging oncoming traffic, but to compare apples to steaks for a moment, in my own job we, generally speaking, have far better training, tactics, communications, support, and equipment than the folks who typically oppose us with violence, but some of us die at the hands of others every week anyway, nationally speaking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Isn't a Boomer that has shot it's missile now just a big slow attack boat?
View Quote

It's the seeds of humanity at that point
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top