Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 10:16:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm still holding on to my Beanie Babies. Just wait…
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much everyone who didn't buy any.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Does this mean washed up actors like Fred Thompson and William Devane will be pimping Bitcoins now?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone calling the certain death or certain success of Bitcoin is out of their fucking mind.

The "it's tulip bulbs" crowd don't know what they are looking at and the "to the moon" crowd are oblivious to the tremendous risks.

The only sane folks dealing in Bitcoin are those who realize it's an experiment or at the very least a beta for future cryptocurrency schemes and have peppered their angus accordingly.  With that said, after 7 years and multiple boom bust cycles, it's proven to be a surprisingly robust experiment.

This article from November 2011 is worth a read:
The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin - Wired Magazine
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Enron and pets.com were listed on stock exchanges too...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What's next? Kreiger-ans?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Brian Kelly, the guy who wrote that opinion piece, also wrote this book.

The Bitcoin Big Bang

Book Description

Publication Date: November 17, 2014

Get a handle on the digital currency revolution, and learn how to get on board

The Bitcoin Big Bang is a guide to navigating the uncharted territory of digital currency. Written by CNBC contributor Brian Kelly, this book goes beyond Bitcoin 101 to explain how this transformative technology is about to change the world. Digital currency is thrown into perspective against the history of payment systems and its own evolution, as readers are invited to explore the ways in which this technology is already changing the way business gets done. Readers gain insight into the mechanisms behind Bitcoin, and an expert perspective on digital currency's effect on the future of money and the economic implications of the Bitcoin revolution.

In the same way that e-mail changed the way we transfer information, the decentralized Bitcoin network is about to revolutionize the business world, the legal profession, and even the role of the government. The Bitcoin Big Bang dives head first into this paradigm shift, allowing readers to:

Explore the origins of digital currency

Learn the history and evolution of payment systems

Discover how the Bitcoin network is facilitating free and instant transfer of value

Understand the mining of Bitcoin, and how to invest

The digital currency revolution has implications that spread far beyond the finance industry. Anyone who exchanges payment for goods and services is on the cusp of the next big push in societal evolution, and only an understanding of the technology and a clear knowledge of the systems and behaviors at play can fully prepare us for the changes to come.

The Bitcoin Big Bang is the go-to guide, helping those who use money use it better.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]

The only way to control the opposition is to lead it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe we are moving toward an electronic currency, but it will be government or banker controlled for obvious reasons.

Remember, bitcoin is vulnerable to: theft via hacking (happened once from Australia and once I know in Europe), loss via disappearance of the virtual wallet (Mt. Gox), and the internet kill switch
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]

So was Enron.

eta: (beat!)
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So was Enron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So was Enron.

The NYSE was a stakeholder in Enron?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#12]
This just in, Beanie babies are anonymous and can be used to buy real goods..

oh wait.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a shitload of them to go with my Carbon offsets
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So was Enron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So was Enron.

Enron was a mismanaged and corrupt organization and completely dissimilar to Coinbase. I mean, you're comparing apples to space shuttles.

CoinBase is an exchange where you can swap bitcoin for USD. A similar setup would be taking your USD and swapping them for Canadian dollars, where the exchange company takes a small fee for their services. Right now Coinbase isn't charging a fee, but the concept is the same. There are literally hundreds if not THOUSANDS of cryptocurrencies out there, and new ones are being released every day. Bitcoin and Litecoin are being accepted all over the world, and is becoming more and more popular. As for the hacking and loss of wallets, we've seen that happen, what two or three times in seven years? Meanwhile, how many US banks have folded in the same time period? How devalued have world currencies become?

With that said, only a moron would put their entire life savings in crypto. Anyone who has ever looked into investments, the very first lesson they learn is to not put everything they have into one thing, because if shit goes south, you'll lose you ass. The Mt. Gox case is the prime example of that. Don't keep all your wallets on a server you don't have access too. make a copy of your wallet on a thumb drive or even a flash card and stick it somewhere safe, that way you have a backup should something happen.

For golly gee wiz info, I hold coins in:
Bitcoin
Litecoin
Dotcoin
PetroDollar
Guncoin
RippleLite
BitCentavo
LottoCoin
Aricoin
CryptoClub
Digibyte
MetalMusicCoin
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Enron was a mismanaged and corrupt organization and completely dissimilar to Coinbase. I mean, you're comparing apples to space shuttles.

CoinBase is an exchange where you can swap bitcoin for USD. A similar setup would be taking your USD and swapping them for Canadian dollars, where the exchange company takes a small fee for their services. Right now Coinbase isn't charging a fee, but the concept is the same. There are literally hundreds if not THOUSANDS of cryptocurrencies out there, and new ones are being released every day. Bitcoin and Litecoin are being accepted all over the world, and is becoming more and more popular. As for the hacking and loss of wallets, we've seen that happen, what two or three times in seven years? Meanwhile, how many US banks have folded in the same time period? How devalued have world currencies become?

With that said, only a moron would put their entire life savings in crypto. Anyone who has ever looked into investments, the very first lesson they learn is to not put everything they have into one thing, because if shit goes south, you'll lose you ass. The Mt. Gox case is the prime example of that. Don't keep all your wallets on a server you don't have access too. make a copy of your wallet on a thumb drive or even a flash card and stick it somewhere safe, that way you have a backup should something happen.

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Dotcoin
PetroDollar
Guncoin
RippleLite
BitCentavo
LottoCoin
Aricoin
CryptoClub
Digibyte
MetalMusicCoin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was Enron.

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Dotcoin
PetroDollar
Guncoin
RippleLite
BitCentavo
LottoCoin
Aricoin
CryptoClub
Digibyte
MetalMusicCoin

Why not DogeCoin?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why not DogeCoin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was Enron.

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Dotcoin
PetroDollar
Guncoin
RippleLite
BitCentavo
LottoCoin
Aricoin
CryptoClub
Digibyte
MetalMusicCoin

Why not DogeCoin?

Sold it all. But it's actually doing quite well in the markets, considering it was created as a joke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Little digital tokens backed by nothing but a hope that you can sell them to a greater fool tomorrow are not the future of currency, and have no intrinsic value.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoins-have-no-value-2013-4
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Little digital tokens backed by nothing but a hope that you can sell them to a greater fool tomorrow are not the future of currency, and have no intrinsic value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds like some other currency I know about...

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm still holding on to my Beanie Babies. Just wait…
View Quote

Pokemon cards here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Do I need a wallet to carry them in ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does this mean washed up actors like Fred Thompson and William Devane will be pimping Bitcoins now?
View Quote

"Hey Jeese!"... *throws coin*
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Other than being backed by an indebted government cash and bank accounts are the same.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Doesn't a "regulated exchange" defeat the entire purpose of BitCoins anonymous finances?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Recent WSJ article.

It doesn't sound dead to me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doesn't a "regulated exchange" defeat the entire purpose of BitCoins anonymous finances?
View Quote

Yeah, I thought bitcoins were for buying stinger missiles and ladyboy slaves?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I have USD in my wallet too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bitcoin isn't anonymous, it's pseudonymous. There will, however, be cryptocurrencies that approach (but never reach) true anonymity.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Arfcom can't wrap its head around Twitter and struggles with the concept of valuations.

Cryptocurrencies.......?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a good market appeal they should go with people like Snowden and Assange.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Government can't have that. So they fix it by becoming the gatekeeper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Government (and central banks) can't have that. So they fix it by becoming the gatekeeper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Government (and central banks) can't have that. So they fix it by becoming the gatekeeper.

BTW, US government is one of the biggest holder of BitCoins. Asset seizure of course.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I believe we are moving toward an electronic currency, but it will be government or banker controlled for obvious reasons.

Remember, bitcoin is vulnerable to: theft via hacking (happened once from Australia and once I know in Europe), loss via disappearance of the virtual wallet (Mt. Gox), and the internet kill switch
View Quote

Whoa... you mean to tell me that if you fail to properly secure your computer, someone can steal your bitcoins along with your bank credentials?  Shocking.

There's no such thing as an "internet kill switch".
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bitcoins will never be a real "currency" until it is no longer used as an investment by most of the people buying it and people want to use them to trade goods and services. Most people until now don't look at bitcoins as a way to buy and pay for stuff.

That said, there is a hell of an incentive for this type of "currency".

In the last 5 years, there has been a sharp decline in the use of cash and an explosion in the use of credit/debit cards. For merchants, who face increasingly lower margins due to internet competitors, the fees associated with credit and debit cards are going to be eventually a place they look to eliminate from the cost of doing business. AND that is exactly what will drive this changeover. AND it might happen quickly.

Bitcoin or something similar could fit that use like a glove because it is cheap to use an a medium of exchange. It is like a dollar in that is doesn't cost much to take it.

It is never going to happen as long as people feel that bit coins are an investment, but something that is cheaper to use than credit cards is going to be successful in the future. It might just end up being bit coins.
View Quote

The liquidity difficulty is what has been the limiting factor in bitcoins adoption in my opinion. Once people are able to quickly move digital dollars into bitcoins and pay at the point of sale you will see more people accepting it. Reducing the time the payer holds 'value' in btc also reduces the risk of rapid changes in valuation that come with speculation.

I made a bit of money in btc and plan on using it as a method of payment at my business.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The liquidity difficulty is what has been the limiting factor in bitcoins adoption in my opinion. Once people are able to quickly move digital dollars into bitcoins and pay at the point of sale you will see more people accepting it. Reducing the time the payer holds 'value' in btc also reduces the risk of rapid changes in valuation that come with speculation.

I made a bit of money in btc and plan on using it as a method of payment at my business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bitcoins will never be a real "currency" until it is no longer used as an investment by most of the people buying it and people want to use them to trade goods and services. Most people until now don't look at bitcoins as a way to buy and pay for stuff.

That said, there is a hell of an incentive for this type of "currency".

In the last 5 years, there has been a sharp decline in the use of cash and an explosion in the use of credit/debit cards. For merchants, who face increasingly lower margins due to internet competitors, the fees associated with credit and debit cards are going to be eventually a place they look to eliminate from the cost of doing business. AND that is exactly what will drive this changeover. AND it might happen quickly.

Bitcoin or something similar could fit that use like a glove because it is cheap to use an a medium of exchange. It is like a dollar in that is doesn't cost much to take it.

It is never going to happen as long as people feel that bit coins are an investment, but something that is cheaper to use than credit cards is going to be successful in the future. It might just end up being bit coins.

Agreed on that point. There are only a few places that I know of that swap btc for usd, coinbase and bter being two of them, and if their service goes down, companies could get hosed in the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top