Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/31/2015 8:49:02 AM EDT
Kelly's Heroes (1970): Telly Savalas as "Big Joe".  Kelly and Oddball are the most recognized and quoted (especally Oddball) but Savalis sets the tone contrasting the regular Army mentality against a group of wartime draftees and assorted misfits.  

The Caine Mutiny (1954)-  Humphrey Bogart usually gets the accolades for his performance (which is completely warranted) but Jose Ferrer's performance as the defense attorney for the mutineers is excellent.

The Quiet Man (1952) Victor McLaglen as Squire "Red" Will Danaher.  His performance as a blustering country squire and older brother to John Wayne's love interest literally makes the movie.  He's hilarious.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Kellys heros is great movie,  clint is awsome.

This was the movie that got me dreaming of rock climbing and mountaineering.  I never understood what it was about when I was young.  And my dad editted out the titties at the begining part.

Skipping up a decade I freaking loved this movie. Awsome kungfoo.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Kurt Russell is underrated in general.

I thought he was awesome in "Soldier"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Edmund O'Brien as Freddie Sykes in The Wild Bunch.  

" />

Pike Bishop: They set it up.

Lyle Gorch: "They"? Who in the hell is "they?"

Sykes: [laughs hysterically] "They"? Why, they is the plain and fancy they, that's who "they" is! Caught you, didn't they? Tied a tin can to your tail. Led you in and waltzed you out again. Oh my, what a bunch! Big tough ones, hunh? Here you are with a handful of holes, a thumb up your ass, and a big grin to pass the time of day with. They? Who the hell is "they?"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Since this movie is over 20 years old, I have to go with this guy's performance, which might be the best acting I've ever seen:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a made for TV movie by Michael Landon called "Where Piegons go to die". Typical ML movie but Art Carney gave a good performance in one of his last films.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]
"One Million Years BC"

John Richardson's performance was . . .  Wait a minute! There were other actors (besides Raquel) in that?!? What?

ETA: spelling and picture link!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Since this movie is over 20 years old, I have to go with this guy's performance, which might be the best acting I've ever seen:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6upl2ecgb1ryljseo1_1280.png
View Quote

Good one.  He exudes odious coward in that role.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#8]

I don't know what acclaim the movie got at the time but I think Bogart fucking stuck that shit like a gold medal gymnast.  Awesome movie.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]

One of my dad's favorite movies.  Watched it with him as a kid. Now I watch it to remember that time.
Love this movie.
Mickey Rooney.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Edmund O'Brien as Freddie Sykes in The Wild Bunch.  

http://<a href=http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/images_zpsruuka6s0.jpg</a>" />

Pike Bishop: They set it up.

Lyle Gorch: "They"? Who in the hell is "they?"

Sykes: [laughs hysterically] "They"? Why, they is the plain and fancy they, that's who "they" is! Caught you, didn't they? Tied a tin can to your tail. Led you in and waltzed you out again. Oh my, what a bunch! Big tough ones, hunh? Here you are with a handful of holes, a thumb up your ass, and a big grin to pass the time of day with. They? Who the hell is "they?"
View Quote

Haaa!!!!!!

I have that movie on DVD.  It's a must see for any gun guy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but it goes beyond that. With all of the other characters in the movie, I knew the actors and actresses that played them, and while many of them were interesting or entertaining to watch, this particular character actually convinced me I wasn't watching an actor...act. It's hard to explain, but maybe it had something to do with me not being familiar with Stephan Lang, therefore I didn't recognize him during the movie. Having said that, his performance was so genuine, so thorough, so complete, that my brain pretty much accepted his part of the film as being somehow actually played by the historical person.

It's kind of weird, but there it is. To my knowledge, there's never been another actor or actress that pulled that off and tricked my brain like that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed, but it goes beyond that. With all of the other characters in the movie, I knew the actors and actresses that played them, and while many of them were interesting or entertaining to watch, this particular character actually convinced me I wasn't watching an actor...act. It's hard to explain, but maybe it had something to do with me not being familiar with Stephan Lang, therefore I didn't recognize him during the movie. Having said that, his performance was so genuine, so thorough, so complete, that my brain pretty much accepted his part of the film as being somehow actually played by the historical person.

It's kind of weird, but there it is. To my knowledge, there's never been another actor or actress that pulled that off and tricked my brain like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did seem thoroughly authentic.  Good analysis.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The Lighthorsemen

In 1917 when the British forces are bogged down in front of the Turkish and German lines in Palestine they rely on the Australian light horse regiment to break the deadlock.
View Quote

Eiber and Siskel gave this movie two thumbs up and both stated that the final charge was the best horse scene ever filmed. I'll repeat that, it has the best horse scene ever filmed.

Mild profanity(IIRC they used the word 'bullshit') and a brief scene of male nudity that is of extreme hilarity, especially to anyone with .mil experience .  Well, worth the watch. It can be watched by the entire family.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Lighthorsemen

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYyMjQ4MTU3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDkzNDQzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Eiber and Siskel gave this movie two thumbs up and both stated that the final charge was the best horse scene ever filmed. I'll repeat that, it has the best horse scene ever filmed.

Mild profanity(IIRC they used the word 'bullshit') and a brief scene of male nudity that is of extreme hilarity, especially to anyone with .mil experience .  Well, worth the watch. It can be watched by the entire family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Lighthorsemen

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYyMjQ4MTU3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDkzNDQzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

In 1917 when the British forces are bogged down in front of the Turkish and German lines in Palestine they rely on the Australian light horse regiment to break the deadlock.

wow.  
Never seen it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Jose Ferrer in The Caine Mutiny is a great choice.

I'd nominate Ralph Meeker, both for Paths Of Glory and Kiss Me Deadly.  He was a great actor.

Trevor Howard in The Third Man is another.  He was perfect as the cynical MI/CID officer.

"Death is at the bottom of everything Martins, leave death to the professionals."

"Go back to your hotel Martins - people get killed everyday in Vienna and you were born to be killed."

Orson Wells gets all the attention and it isn't really fair, Howard's performance made the film, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Subscribing to this bitch.
Y'all are posting some movies I've never seen.

Thanks, first spear.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorite scene from a movie is from The Searchers when Brad Jorgenson thinks he spots Lucy and Ethan tells him she was raped and mutilated:

I think that scene was the best performance John Wayne ever gave.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Max Von Sydow as the Alsatian in 3 Days of the Condor. Personification of hidden evil.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Anyone who spent a lot of their youth in the woods always remembered this scene ...

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Max Von Sydow as the Alsatian in 3 Days of the Condor. Personification of hidden evil.
View Quote

Good choice, but he wasn't evil in that story.  The beauty of that character is how they made him the sympathetic voice of wisdom at the end.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jose Ferrer in The Caine Mutiny is a great choice.

I'd nominate Ralph Meeker, both for Paths Of Glory and Kiss Me Deadly.  He was a great actor.

Trevor Howard in The Third Man is another.  He was perfect as the cynical MI/CID officer.

"Death is at the bottom of everything Martins, leave death to the professionals."

"Go back to your hotel Martins - people get killed everyday in Vienna and you were born to be killed."

Orson Wells gets all the attention and it isn't really fair, Howard's performance made the film, IMO.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent choice. I concur.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#24]
WIZARDS

THEY KILLED FRITZ!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ-nMc0WGE

Lord of the Rings - THEY KILLED FRITZ!!!   Good BUTT!!! not as powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T54_S9715yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting pick.

I'll have to keep that in mind next time i see it.

He has a big screen presence, but his best roles are the ones where he is subdued.  IMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting pick.

I'll have to keep that in mind next time i see it.

He has a big screen presence, but his best roles are the ones where he is subdued.  IMO.
Great pick, G. Joubert is the most interesting character in the movie. Read my signature line.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stephen Lang is probably the best actor working today because he doesn't play himself, the way bigger-name actors do. He disappears into his roles. His work in Tombstone, Public Enemies, Gods and Generals, White Irish Drinkers, etc. is usually the best part of the movie.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Kelly's Heroes (1970): Telly Savalas as "Big Joe".  Kelly and Oddball are the most recognized and quoted (especally Oddball) but Savalis sets the tone contrasting the regular Army mentality against a group of wartime draftees and assorted misfits.  

View Quote

The Caine Mutiny (1954)-  Humphrey Bogart usually gets the accolades for his performance (which is completely warranted) but Jose Ferrer's performance as the defense attorney for the mutineers is excellent.

The Quiet Man (1952) Victor McLaglen as Squire "Red" Will Danaher.  His performance as a blustering country squire and older brother to John Wayne's love interest literally makes the movie.  He's hilarious.

Love when Jose Ferrer throws his drink after toasting into Arthur Murrey's face.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://m00ch.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/sahara1.jpg

I don't know what acclaim the movie got at the time but I think Bogart fucking stuck that shit like a gold medal gymnast.  Awesome movie.

View Quote

On this topic, I thought the actor who played Sgt. Tambu did an excellent job
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
cool hand Luke
actions have consequences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3CPz21NzUc

the day the earth stood still
short movie worth the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY

and just for fun
when you want to say something  with out saying it
send em a utube link that says it all...
like this  ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ic08qOoMH8

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Charles Bronson in The Dirty Dozen.

Raid on Entebbe was also a good movie that he did well in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Not that old or yet a classic , but John Hurt's role in The Proposition

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]
An obscure tv western starring Dan blocker called "something for a lonely man".  blocker was incredible.

Jack good as stebbings in the cary grant movie "father goose"... He had some excellent one liners...

Billy Vera (a relatively obscure singer) as pinky Carruthers in "buckaroo banzai"

George c Scott and Michael sarrazin in "the flim flam man"...

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The Tremor Brothers....specifically , Chris Pine , in Smokin Aces

(and , arguably , Ben Affleck's finest role)

...and of course . . . . who could forget the elevator scene ?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Chino.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think Kurt Russell is underrated in general.

I thought he was awesome in "Soldier"
View Quote

I thought he did well in Dark Blue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, he was at the top in that role.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://m00ch.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/sahara1.jpg

I looked him up.
An interesting fellow. "Ingram was born near Cairo, Illinois, on the Mississippi River; his father was a steamer fireman on the riverboat Robert E. Lee. Ingram graduated from the Northwestern University medical school in 1919 and was the first African-American man to receive a Phi Beta Kappa key from Northwestern University.[3]
Rex Ingram
Thank you
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Revenge of the Nerds

Brian Tochi as Toshiro Takashi

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Amadeus

F Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri, not overlooked but this guy absolutely owned that part

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://mla-s2-p.mlstatic.com/figura-de-accion-16-big-joe-telly-savalas-2da-gm-7656-MLA5245789155_102013-F.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Jose_Ferrer_in_Caine_Mutiny.jpg

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11712-15479.jpg

View Quote

Excellent choices.  McLaglen could do it all.  Drama, comedy and tragedy.  By the way, McLaglen was in his 60s and not in the best of health during the shooting of The Quiet Man but still managed to do that famous fight scene.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Gary Busey in the Gumball Rally.

Plus Raul Julia

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
wow.  
Never seen it.
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lighthorsemen

wow.  
Never seen it.
Thanks
Recommend that you do.
Tell you what. I'll put my money where my mouth is. I'll spot you the NetFlix fee if you don't like it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Speaking of Telly Savalas, he did a great turn as Blofeld in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Amadeus

View Quote

F Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri, not overlooked but this guy absolutely owned that part

One of the greatest unsung villains in movie history right there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm pretty sure F Murray Abraham won an Oscar for his role as Salieri.

He's make a good add to the list for his coked-up drug-dealer in Scarface though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love when Jose Ferrer throws his drink after toasting into Arthur Murrey's face.  

The reference above to Steven Lang's Ike Clanton applies in Murray's case as well.  He plays, perfectly, an odious coward.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Another under-rated performance, Jack Hawkins in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

The scene where he 'convinces' William Holden to accompany them on the mission was classic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Are we there yet?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Gary Bussey in "Gumball Rally"   It was pure inspiration.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top