BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am buying a four seater...Honda has ZERO cargo capacity in that configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I recommend you take a serious look at Honda before you put any money down.   I have a RZR which has served me well but I bought it before Honda had a SxS. Friend just bought a Honda pioneer 700-4. It is an impressive machine.

I am buying a four seater...Honda has ZERO cargo capacity in that configuration.
I've got the 2 seater honda, it's a compromise between sport/utility.  Works great for my use which is mostly on 1600 acres of Florida's finest swamp land , but still has enough ability to be able to play elsewhere.  

It doesn't come close to the capabilities off road, or hill climbing, of a RZR, don't fool yourself.  Those things are mean machines!  

But RZR's don't haul feed, deer, hogs, fencing, etc. very well, and the Honda does.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
gayest thing you see off road... a side by side ATV...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Like stated in other posts it depends on what you are doing. I really wanted a RZR but with the family it was best to get a Crew . I love it bought used with 40 hrs.
It will go places that would be impossible for a jeep. So far no troubles I have had 1000lbs in the bed and it hauls it well. I have no experience with the other brands
but the Polaris has been great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I currently own 7 atv's and UTV's. My hardcore work machines are kubota diesels. They are slow and heavy but are built like tanks.  I have a Yamaha rhino it is nice but not near as powerful or nice as a Polaris. Had bad luck with kawasaki mule and traded it off. Rangers are damn hard to beat and razrs are fast as hell. On the atv side Honda all the way but polaris wins the UTV market.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
1983 Toyota Hilux? Ac and Heat .
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hunting on a 1000acre deer/turkey lease in TN, duck hunting on a 500 acre lease in AR, and duck hunting a 160,000 acre refuge in AR.  Farting around also on an off-road area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've narrowed it down to Polaris, Kawasaki, and Can-Am.

Yes, they're expensive, I get it.  But I need one, I take care of my stuff, so it should last a LONG time.

Any thoughts on these machines?  Biases for/against?

What are you gonna use it for?

In before the just get a Jeep tards.

Hunting on a 1000acre deer/turkey lease in TN, duck hunting on a 500 acre lease in AR, and duck hunting a 160,000 acre refuge in AR.  Farting around also on an off-road area.

OP..if you have to deal with lots of mud..get the polaris 6x SXS, it will go in rear drive where the 4X's won't go in 4by.......polaris all the way..they have atv's/utv's down pat better then anyone....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Polaris.  More trouble free.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I make it before someone suggested the Susuki Samari ????

A/C, heat, defrost, street legal...

Find one, fix it up to your liking for.... $5-7 K ?

ETA:  I did make it, but after reading the thread I can understand why no one did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll toss Arctic Cat in there too. Wildcat X, suspension is awesome. No one can believe how it soaks up bumps. Runs about 70 mph and is a blast.
" />
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Polaris Ranger 2007 EFI model and always had issues with it.  Spent way to much time in shop.  My dad has the 2013 900 xp and it has been in the shop four times.  Sensors and engine issues.  I hate the engine braking on the Polaris.   Unless you keep giving it gas it basically free wheels down hills.  Also there is no hand brake.

I owned a Mule for three years and it was a Tank.  Sucker would pull anything and never got stuck.  The only issue is the ride is not good unless you are blacktop.  Going through a rough field it will beat you to death.  I test drove a newer model with power steering and was very temped.  I took off in the grass and realized I wanted something with independent suspension.

I ended up buying a Rhino last year.  I love the size which makes it nimble in the woods.  It is a 700 so it has all kinds of power and is fun to drive.  I wish it had power steering.

My advice is to test them in a field or close to what you will be using it for.  Riding it on the blacktop at the dealer they all ride great.

I was nervous on the CanAm from the fact the closest dealer was 2.5 hours away from me, but they are nice machines.....

GOOD Luck....

My Current Toy..............

My old Kawasaki Mule..........................
Very Dependable

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol, yes the evil ATV group is eviler because their damage is......different than 2 wheeler damage.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The local ORV park just put up trail cameras due the trail damage that ATV's and those fucking things are causing.

Assholes tearing up the motorcycle single track trails.

Lol, yes the evil ATV group is eviler because their damage is......different than 2 wheeler damage.  

It is. You don't know what you're commenting about. F&ck 4 wheelers on motorcycle only trails.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is. You don't know what you're commenting about. F&ck 4 wheelers on motorcycle only trails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The local ORV park just put up trail cameras due the trail damage that ATV's and those fucking things are causing.

Assholes tearing up the motorcycle single track trails.

Hot.  Button.  Issue.

I ADORE the grey poupon white glove dirt bike crowd.  The ultimate NIMBYs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cab?  Really?  I was thinking just a windshield.  Sell me on it, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've narrowed it down to Polaris, Kawasaki, and Can-Am.

Yes, they're expensive, I get it.  But I need one, I take care of my stuff, so it should last a LONG time.

Any thoughts on these machines?  Biases for/against?

What are you gonna use it for?

In before the just get a Jeep tards.

ranger 900 will work perfect for those needs.  if u can, find one w/ a cab already on it.  im slowly putting mine together but this shit isnt cheap!  

Cab?  Really?  I was thinking just a windshield.  Sell me on it, please.

Well it doesnt get as cold in TN as it does here but even when its 30 and blowing 20mph that cab will make a world of difference.  I ride mine around when its 10 and keeping the wind off helps a lot.  Also staying dry is a plus.  Everything can pop on/off so u can run what pieces u want when you need them.  I ran just a windshield/roof/back window on mine last year, i put doors on this year, world of difference!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Huh, so they got there first...

Hey Polaris guys, I wouldn't get too broken up about it.

121HP, lol. The RZR 1k makes 110, for now.

ETA:

I got to drive an earlier MRZR, one with the 800 engine.

The MRZR's are no different from their civy counterparts, save for the beefy bumpers, and racking.

Now the MV800 multi-fuel ATV... gross.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got the Polaris 900XP with power steering.   No issues whatsoever.   Rides great, the power steering is a plus.   Lots of power.  

Best thing I did last year, wife loves it too.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Kawasaki is out.

Leaning very heavily toward the Polaris 900-6 w/power steering.

Will go drive it and the Can-Am tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why no Arctic Cat?

Because they don't know how to make anything that isn't a sled, unfortunately.

Polaris makes ok sleds, and great ATV's/UTV's.

Arctic Cat makes outstanding sleds, and mediocre ATV's/UTV's.

Why?

I don't know, why is the sky blue? Why does GuyInFL keep making dupe accounts? Why does Aimless have a propensity to lock threds that he dupes? Like other great mysteries, we may never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why no AC?
I've got an 08 700 prowler (1st year) that has not needed any repair not covered under warranty. I have about 2600mi on the original belt and plug. Its a dependable machine that has even been drowned. I replace oil, diff fluids, and batteries. I would love a newer rig but could never justify needing anything more to the chief finance officer, I have other needs too.

Why no Arctic Cat?

Because they don't know how to make anything that isn't a sled, unfortunately.

Polaris makes ok sleds, and great ATV's/UTV's.

Arctic Cat makes outstanding sleds, and mediocre ATV's/UTV's.

Why?

I don't know, why is the sky blue? Why does GuyInFL keep making dupe accounts? Why does Aimless have a propensity to lock threds that he dupes? Like other great mysteries, we may never know.

I've got a 2008 Arctic Cat Prowler that's seen daily ranch hand work sine we bought it. It's broken one rear shock and gone through two stater relays and that's it. I think it's only had one oil change. Also, the exhaust pipe mount broke a long time ago, and as a result, the header has wallowed out the exhaust port. We fixed it with strips of beer can, and it's good as new.

I'm really surprised by its longevity.

That being said, I have a Ranger Crew 900, and it's really nice. I wanted a RZR, but I needed a mix of work/play, and the Crew is perfect. I really wanted a Teryx, but the Kawi dealership here is shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was in Afghanistan at a tiny little FOB where there were a bunch of guys with beards and no name tapes, they used these when they would go out to put the hurt on the bad guys.  They loved 'em.  That's all the endorsement I'd need.  Did you know you can set up a water balloon slingshot between the uprights, and it can be used for things other than water balloons?  They had all kinds of aftermarket stuff on them, but they still were interesting.
http://www.utvguide.net/polaris_rzr_sw.htm
http://www.utvguide.net/images/Polaris-RZR-SW-1.jpg
View Quote

Now that is cool.  Want.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm also looking for a SXS. I want one to plow snow and to hunt out of. So I keep gravitating towards the Ranger. But there seems to be better deals on used RZR's. Are RZR's still capable to plow snow and haul the occasional item in the back?

What should I watch out for when buying used?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
gayest thing you see off road... a side by side ATV...
View Quote

Don't worry Bro, if you work hard and save your pennies, you and your "boys" will be in the side x side you always dreamed of.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#23]
We have a Polaris Ranger XP.  My brothers have treated it poorly several times and nothing has ever broken other than a belt.  I also have a 2014 Cam Am Outlander 650 ATV; it is awesome, but Can Am makes it needlessly difficult for owners to perform their own maintenance. This bugs me because I persevere and continue to do my own PM.

If I was looking for a new SxS today, I would either buy a Polaris Ranger XP or a Can Am Commander.  These both retain some utility function, but both will also go 60+ MPH and are fun to drive.  I'd lean toward the Polaris.  

A used Jeep Wrangler is not a good substitute for a SxS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm also looking for a SXS. I want one to plow snow and to hunt out of. So I keep gravitating towards the Ranger. But there seems to be better deals on used RZR's. Are RZR's still capable to plow snow and haul the occasional item in the back?

What should I watch out for when buying used?
View Quote

Sure u can plow w a rzr.  Lots of people do.  

Just make sure it hasnt been used as a boat and most are gtg.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I`ve ridden bulls, crashed airplanes, had my ass kicked and multiple other exciting things. My Can Am Commander 1000 XT is the best purchase we`ve ever made. Rides like a car, climbs like a goat and is FAST if you need it to be. We have had it on trails from Moab to our place. Hauls firewood, works the garden, carries  the Boxerdog, pulls the john boat our of the lake when it sinks and doesn`t take up a lot of room. I would buy another one in a heart beat. With power steering it is a breeze in all conditions. My wife loves to drive it. The seats are incredibly comfortable.  PLENTY of power (appx. 90 hp).

It is a bit difficult to work on due to the general "smallness" of it but this is NOT a full size vehicle. It just acts like one. I can do a full service in about two hours. FULL service. The aftermarket parts, kits and upgrades are readily available.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Love my Yamaha Viking!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#27]
As a retired Polaris Master Technician, I can honestly tell you to stay away from this garbage.

Kawasaki or Yamaha is the real choice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
honda =  reliable/no power
yamaha = same
kawasaki = 750 twin or 800 whatever it is now, good motor but finicky
can am = amazing power, more money, its a can am!  if u want the top, this is it!
polaris = good power, decent reliability,piles and piles of aftermarket equipment.
arctic cat/suzuki = wildcat is cool, the rest meh.  

ive owned suzuki's, polaris's, kawasaki's and a honda.  the honda never missed a beat but it was babied, used mostly to plow snow.  the other 3 i beat the ever living shit out of and they were broke all the time.  if u wanna ride through rivers/jump creeks/bury them in 4' of mud, you are going to break stuff no matter what machine it is.  

they are not tractors.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a deere at our lake house.......always works.  Id buy a polaris also.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Yamaha Viking 700  seats three big bed for work.  half work half play
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anybody messed with the honda pioneer 700-4..?  The one with the back seats that fold away?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

As a retired Polaris Master Technician, I can honestly tell you to stay away from this garbage.

Kawasaki or Yamaha is the real choice.
View Quote
5-7+ years ago, I would have agreed.  Kawasaki and Yamaha are nothing special relatively speaking in today's market.  In fact they are Non-players.  Now, if they began to attack the SXS market the same way they do with other machines they build, it could be a different story.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Why the "farm use" tags on them?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Went and test drove the Polaris 900 Crew and the Can-Am Commander...both with power steering.  Both are awesome.  The Polaris is definitely better on the utility side.  The Can-Am is awesome on the "cool" factor.  

Tough decision.  It's pretty much a matter of deciding if the Polaris will be fun enough trail riding vs. will the Can-Am have enough utility while hunting/working.  Both are great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I nearly bought the commander.  Has a little more fun factor and that exhaust note is awesome!  Decided the ranger was better because of seat/box.  

Post pix of what u get!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
The commander is definitely more sporty than the Ranger.  I think the seating is better also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a 6 wheeled Polaris side by side that will go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The commander is definitely more sporty than the Ranger.  I think the seating is better also.
View Quote

The thing I am most wrestling with is the seats in the Commander.  By far, they are more comfortable...when you're not wearing waders.  I duck hunt a lot, and I am wondering if the better seats in the Commander might be a hindrance when wearing lots of bulk and waders.  Mind you, I'm in shape...5'10" 175...fatasses would not do well in the Commander.  The more upright seats of the Ranger will be far easier to get in and out of, and perhaps more comfortable on a 15-30 minute ride in duck hunting clothes.

Decisions, decisions.  You know, these things are so expensive, I would not be bashful at all in going back to the dealer for a test drive in waders...in fact, that's exactly what I am going to do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.  I love it, but my 82 would put your head through the roof and rupture a kidney on terrain that a good SXS wouldn't bat an eye at.

A Jeep or Yota is not even in the same ballpark planet Universe as a modern side by side ATV when it comes to handling terrain at speed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nope.  I love it, but my 82 would put your head through the roof and rupture a kidney on terrain that a good SXS wouldn't bat an eye at.  

A Jeep or Yota is not even in the same ballpark planet Universe as a modern side by side ATV when it comes to handling terrain at speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Absolutely.  They're purpose-built from the factory for ass-hauling across rough terrain.

Go check out some video footage of new RZR 1000 or comparable machines and then imagine a truck or jeep attempting the same.  
Now imagine the money and time modifying that truck or jeep to get it in the same ballpark.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
There are really only 2 real options  Polaris, and Can Am. Polaris builds great machines, but you might as well consider them like Dodge.Polaris bombardes the market with so many units, they litterally have no resale value.Nobody wants any used polaris.
Can Am on the other hand, is like toyota, tough as nails, but  keep their  value.
I may be partial, because i own a 2012 800 commander.truth be told, a tacoma too, but i HATE shit that breaks down.
My commander has 3000 miles on it, and gets beat to death, but has never failed to do anything i asked it to do.Mine is not a toy, i haul all of my firewood, and logs out of the woods with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep, never needed it accessed by the dealer, but they sold me on that when I bought it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if I could do it all again, I'd go Polaris for my sport machine in a heartbeat.  They are easier to service and work on, have more dealer support and are the biggest SxS manufacturer by a long shot.  All these things break if you drive them hard, but my Can Am Commander has been the biggest pita I've ever owned because I swear it's built in such a way to require dealers to do everything.  It also has been more fragile than my buddies Polaris stuff and we all drive like assholes.

I own an XP900 Ranger and I would not give another UTV a look f I were to buy again.  It's a beast and runs damn near 65 mph like a caddy.  The new cab systems are like a car.  Polaris does 4 wheel Powersports very well IMO.

To be honest, I don't have seat time in a Kawasaki and never see them on the trails.  I just don't think Kawasaki does much with SXS stuff for some reason.  Now their KX dirt bikes are bad ass, and if I were in the market for a bike, my search would begin and end there.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/brownj255/2015-01-30_19-02-27_818_zpsmp90lb5l.jpg
Yep, never needed it accessed by the dealer, but they sold me on that when I bought it.  

I bought a RZR in 2008. They were bare bones back then. The only options were "red" or "green". I chose red. Still have it.

Yep, that's red

p
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Old School Chenowth for the win.  This thing is a monster, goes anywhere, gets there fast and never lets me down.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Old School Chenowth for the win.  This thing is a monster, goes anywhere, gets there fast and never lets me down.

http://sedonaconnect/postedimages/IMG_2279.png
http://sedonaconnect/postedimages/IMG_2281.png
http://sedonaconnect/postedimages/IMG_2288.png
View Quote

You gotta fix your links... because I really want to see that machine.

My lord, that thing is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thing is a lot of things, but gorgeous it ain't.    It is a beast though.

(Everything that looks like rust, is actually red sand, we have a lot of that here).
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

(Everything that looks like rust, is actually red sand, we have a lot of that here).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That needs to go to Cola Warrior West the weekend of March 22nd.  If for nothing else than for me to simply massage it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

http://sedonaconnect.com/postedimages/IMG_2279.png

http://sedonaconnect.com/postedimages/IMG_2281.png

http://sedonaconnect.com/postedimages/IMG_2288.png
View Quote
Ok that's bad ass

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The thing I am most wrestling with is the seats in the Commander.  By far, they are more comfortable...when you're not wearing waders.  I duck hunt a lot, and I am wondering if the better seats in the Commander might be a hindrance when wearing lots of bulk and waders.  Mind you, I'm in shape...5'10" 175...fatasses would not do well in the Commander.  The more upright seats of the Ranger will be far easier to get in and out of, and perhaps more comfortable on a 15-30 minute ride in duck hunting clothes.

Decisions, decisions.  You know, these things are so expensive, I would not be bashful at all in going back to the dealer for a test drive in waders...in fact, that's exactly what I am going to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you plan on doing things other than trail ride with the machine, I think you'd get sick of a sport SXS in a hurry. Goes for RZR or Commander.  If you plan to hunt, or do any work with the machine, go Ranger.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#50]
My nephew bought a brand new RZR in 09 (i think) and it was a gigantic piece of shit that always broke down.

He finally sold it last year and said he'd never buy another one.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top