Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:38:20 PM EDT
I've narrowed it down to Polaris, Kawasaki, and Can-Am.

Yes, they're expensive, I get it.  But I need one, I take care of my stuff, so it should last a LONG time.

Any thoughts on these machines?  Biases for/against?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe get a used Wrangler instead?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
2014 ranger 900 Browning here.  love mine.  

I had a polaris quad back in the 90's and it was a huge POS, so i was hesitant to buy another but so far so good.  I use mine for hunting, hauling xmas trees on a tree farm and a good romp in the mud from time to time.  I wanted the bench seat for kids/dog.  Nobody else offers a bench seat...  

I just ordered 30" tires/forward a arms for mine.  Here's a pic of her w/ a 3" lift and 27" tires...

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Why no AC?
I've got an 08 700 prowler (1st year) that has not needed any repair not covered under warranty. I have about 2600mi on the original belt and plug. Its a dependable machine that has even been drowned. I replace oil, diff fluids, and batteries. I would love a newer rig but could never justify needing anything more to the chief finance officer, I have other needs too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't want the hassle of building/upgrading/repairing.  I'll need to barge it over to the refuge when the water is down.  Need room for up to 4 people and gear.  

ATV is a better option for me right now for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
3000 flawless miles on our 900XP.

Aftermarket following like Harley.

Heard an add last night that said the RZR has sold 5x the number of vehicles it's nearest competitor has.

(Don't know how true that is though)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, they're expensive, I get it.  But I need one, I take care of my stuff, so it should last a LONG time.

View Quote

What are you gonna use it for?

In before the just get a Jeep tards.

Mine.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a Polaris Rzr 800.  It's a tank, climbs most anything and is fast.

My advice is buy used.  There are many out there with low hours/miles for half the price of new and might already have the upgrades you want.

You will not be disappoint.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get a mule, unless you like replacing $200 fuel pumps regularly, and without warning. The new injected ones don't seem to be as bad, but the pump is in the tank and the fuel filter is built in so I'm guessin' it wont be cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
if I could do it all again, I'd go Polaris for my sport machine in a heartbeat.  They are easier to service and work on, have more dealer support and are the biggest SxS manufacturer by a long shot.  All these things break if you drive them hard, but my Can Am Commander has been the biggest pita I've ever owned because I swear it's built in such a way to require dealers to do everything.  It also has been more fragile than my buddies Polaris stuff and we all drive like assholes.

I own an XP900 Ranger and I would not give another UTV a look f I were to buy again.  It's a beast and runs damn near 65 mph like a caddy.  The new cab systems are like a car.  Polaris does 4 wheel Powersports very well IMO.

To be honest, I don't have seat time in a Kawasaki and never see them on the trails.  I just don't think Kawasaki does much with SXS stuff for some reason.  Now their KX dirt bikes are bad ass, and if I were in the market for a bike, my search would begin and end there.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why no AC?
I've got an 08 700 prowler (1st year) that has not needed any repair not covered under warranty. I have about 2600mi on the original belt and plug. Its a dependable machine that has even been drowned. I replace oil, diff fluids, and batteries. I would love a newer rig but could never justify needing anything more to the chief finance officer, I have other needs too.
View Quote

Why no Arctic Cat?

Because they don't know how to make anything that isn't a sled, unfortunately.

Polaris makes ok sleds, and great ATV's/UTV's.

Arctic Cat makes outstanding sleds, and mediocre ATV's/UTV's.

Why?

I don't know, why is the sky blue? Why does GuyInFL keep making dupe accounts? Why does Aimless have a propensity to lock threds that he dupes? Like other great mysteries, we may never know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Id guess polaris sells a lot more than anyone else.  Can Am makes great machines also, id love a maverick turbo!!!

As someone else said, buy used.  I picked mine up w/ 25 miles on it and for a shitload less than new.  Search craigslist/forums/ebay etc.  

if you want a ranger, prcforum.com is a good place to go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunting on a 1000acre deer/turkey lease in TN, duck hunting on a 500 acre lease in AR, and duck hunting a 160,000 acre refuge in AR.  Farting around also on an off-road area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
we have an `09 rzr with over 5k miles and no problems or breaks that i didnt cause myself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

3000 flawless miles on our 900XP.

Aftermarket following like Harley.

Heard an add last night that said the RZR has sold 5x the number of vehicles it's nearest competitor has.

(Don't know how true that is though)
View Quote
I went the contrarian route because of this specifically, because I wanted something different.  Once again, the market has a way of working itself out, and people buy the stuff that offers the best all around value.  For side by sides that's Polaris right now.  I saw on a Wall Street report that they have 40% market share even with all the competitors like Honda, yamaha, can am, deere and the Chinese shit.  Thats impressive. And it's an American company.

I like Honda ATV's, Polaris for any side by side stuff and Kawasaki for dirt bikes IMO.

Eta:  based on your use, OP I'd get the Ranger 900 XP with power steering.  Add a roof, fglass windshield and a glass or poly rear window. It will run 65 mph on gravel, and will get you in places you've never dreamed of.  Consider adding an LED bar as well.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if I could do it all again, I'd go Polaris for my sport machine in a heartbeat.  They are easier to service and work on, have more dealer support and are the biggest SxS manufacturer by a long shot.  All these things break if you drive them hard, but my Can Am Commander has been the biggest pita I've ever owned because I swear it's built in such a way to require dealers to do everything.  It also has been more fragile than my buddies Polaris stuff and we all drive like assholes.

I own an XP900 Ranger and I would not give another UTV a look f I were to buy again.  It's a beast and runs damn near 65 mph like a caddy.  The new cab systems are like a car.  Polaris does 4 wheel Powersports very well IMO.

To be honest, I don't have seat time in a Kawasaki and never see them on the trails.  I just don't think Kawasaki does much with SXS stuff for some reason.  Now their KX dirt bikes are bad ass, and if I were in the market for a bike, my search would begin and end there.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Kawasaki Teryx, I love it it is pretty fast about 53mph, but i can also get firewood and do chores. Get the machine that suits your needs. I cannot describe how much more I use my property since getting my side by  side. Its a great tool/toy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Daughter just sold hers

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks good!  I just ordered a set of terminators!  My outlaw mst's suck!  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
The lack of Yamaha being a choice is a disappointment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/brownj255/2015-01-30_19-02-27_818_zpsmp90lb5l.jpg
Yep, never needed it accessed by the dealer, but they sold me on that when I bought it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

nice!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I recommend you take a serious look at Honda before you put any money down.   I have a RZR which has served me well but I bought it before Honda had a SxS. Friend just bought a Honda pioneer 700-4. It is an impressive machine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wrangler took 1 hr to cover the same distance a quad did in 15 minutes.
I'm about over that bitch, but I'll keep the wrangler and get  a quad.  Arf way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]
AC
Merican!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Polaris or can am.

Ignore the rest unless you need a dedicated farm machine.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hunting on a 1000acre deer/turkey lease in TN, duck hunting on a 500 acre lease in AR, and duck hunting a 160,000 acre refuge in AR.  Farting around also on an off-road area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ranger 900 will work perfect for those needs.  if u can, find one w/ a cab already on it.  im slowly putting mine together but this shit isnt cheap!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a 09 Arctic Cat sport/work built like a crude tank.  Also have a 13 RZR 800 that can scare the fuck out of me and we take it monthly riding.  I see everything at riding areas and the newer RZRs beat all for play.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Is that supposed to be a tribute to AC's Wildcat?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Are we talking for work or play?

I put several hundred hours a year on mine... so I like ones that are simple and easy to maintain

Teryx is anything but

Rangers are better
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Kawasaki Mule-very utilitarian but slow.
Can-Am-No experience
Polaris Ranger-I have XP 900 crew. Fast, excellent suspension, power steering. Would definitely but another one.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm about over that bitch, but I'll keep the wrangler and get  a quad.  Arf way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Air down?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#32]

And........welcome to louisiana
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#33]
another vote for Polaris here...
if you do buy one you might want to invest in the extended warranty.
I bought my rzr in november of last year, it went back to the dealer for some work..500 bucks...warranty covered it...

2012 RZR 800s with 2k miles on it. and it is a blast to drive!
and my 2011 Polaris sportsman 500h.o. with 1500 miles on it...this thing has been a great 4 wheeler...I have never had to take it in to get fixed I do all the scheduled maintence work on it..

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#34]
The local ORV park just put up trail cameras due the trail damage that ATV's and those fucking things are causing.

Assholes tearing up the motorcycle single track trails.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The local ORV park just put up trail cameras due the trail damage that ATV's and those fucking things are causing.

View Quote
Lol, yes the evil ATV group is eviler because their damage is......different than 2 wheeler damage.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#36]
ATV's are not side by side.  UTV's are side by side
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are we talking for work or play?

I put several hundred hours a year on mine... so I like ones that are simple and easy to maintain

Teryx is anything but

Rangers are better
View Quote

I have a '10 Ranger HD with over 7000 miles.  I haven't done anything to it except replace a tire that wasn't tough enough to run over a broke off t-post.  It has a 1000# payload.  Power steering and EFI.  Not fast, but 50 is enough for what we do with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
We run around in the dunes quite a bit.

I would go Polaris for sure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I recommend you take a serious look at Honda before you put any money down.   I have a RZR which has served me well but I bought it before Honda had a SxS. Friend just bought a Honda pioneer 700-4. It is an impressive machine.
View Quote

I am buying a four seater...Honda has ZERO cargo capacity in that configuration.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#40]
And if you want a little adventure I highly recommend the Hatfield McCoy Trails.

Link

600+ Miles of awesomeness!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

What does ORV mean? Oh, Never mind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ranger 900 will work perfect for those needs.  if u can, find one w/ a cab already on it.  im slowly putting mine together but this shit isnt cheap!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cab?  Really?  I was thinking just a windshield.  Sell me on it, please.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Polaris and dump the stock cage.A 900 I put a cage on last summer and a 1000 sitting in the shop now.

The 1000 isn't done yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you going to be doing with this thing?  That's a pretty important question.

ETA:  Oops, just saw your plan.  The windshield will keep the wind and bugs off your face, but without a rear windscreen the dust going down the road is going to just wrap around and choke you to death.  I had a 4 seater Polaris 800 with a full cab.  It was too big for being in the pasture and the cab kinda sucked.  It was ok in the winter, but the rest of the time I had the doors off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have a Polaris Rzr 800.  It's a tank, climbs most anything and is fast.

My advice is buy used.  There are many out there with low hours/miles for half the price of new and might already have the upgrades you want.

You will not be disappoint.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae99/pjhog/3255146bb631cbc93b3280e9c5703406_zps341fcc5b.jpg
View Quote

This. Rzr's are the shiznit
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, yes the evil ATV group is eviler because their damage is......different than 2 wheeler damage.  
Around here it is impossible to "destroy trails". Nature does a damn good job of that with underbrush and junk foliage that takes over. Stop riding on a trail for one year and next year it will be as if it never existed.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Polaris makes nice systems, engineered for the new grooved frame/cab system. Doors and glass fit flat into the frame for better sealing and fit.  Cabs have come along way over just the last few years.  Also some nice aftermarket systems.  They are much more car like now.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Thread needs more pics. Rzr 900 & 800 goodness!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By stutzcattle

What are you going to be doing with this thing?  That's a pretty important question.
ETA:  Oops, just saw your plan.  The windshield will keep the wind and bugs off your face, but without a rear windscreen the dust going down the road is going to just wrap around and choke you to death.  I had a 4 seater Polaris 800 with a full cab.  It was too big for being in the pasture and the cab kinda sucked.  It was ok in the winter, but the rest of the time I had the doors off.
View Quote
The 800 had a round tube frame and the cabs SUCKED on those.  The new 900 and 570 along with all the mid size Rangers all have the new profile tube which seals much better.  Night and day.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Yep.
Here's the 570 I had before I bought the XP1000.  That little fucker was like a goat on rocky hill climbs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top