Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 7:31:57 PM EDT
Pretty soon im just going to rock a sharpened twig.

Edited I suck at the Internet.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
wat
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you need ammo for a grenade?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Get rid of silly overlarge .380, replace with smaller gun in 9X19.  Then pick a good 147 or 124gr JHP from "the list".
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get rid of silly overlarge .380, replace with smaller gun in 9X19.  Then pick a good 147 or 124gr JHP from "the list".
View Quote
I'd never argue that .380 > 9mm. But there are a ton of people packing .380s in the US.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you shot it? Everyone I know who has shot it (admittedly small sample size) has had multiple FTEs
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Buffalo bore.
Wadcutters.

Fuck that, 9mm.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
FMJs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd suggest you carry FMJ ball ammo.  It'll feed better; and penetration will be improved.  JHP doesn't do anything for ya in either 380 or 32.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have gold dot in mine
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd suggest you carry FMJ ball ammo.  It'll feed better; and penetration will be improved.  JHP doesn't do anything for ya in either 380 or 32.
View Quote

Not entirely true as XTP often performs well in 380.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Hornady XTPs feed just fine in my G42 and Sig 238. Gold dots also work fine.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Very false misinfo based on 80's bullet technology. Watch the video above you.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^This. All the best performers used XTP bullets.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Bingo. Using FMJ is outdated fudd derp.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. - DocGKR
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4336-BUG-s-380-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hornady XTP is the answer you seek. While a do carry a .380 most days it is due to its small size (CW380). I don't understand carrying the glock 42 at all. A Kahr CM9 or PM9 is a hair smaller and has the same capacity. Why not carry a better defensive round if you are already going to carry a larger weapon?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Just get a 938. Problem solved. More power smaller package.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So closing your eyes and ears and ignoring extensive video evidence of new bullet designs meeting and exceeding FBI penatration testing is the way to go? I agree better yet don't use it at all, but loadings with XTP bullets perform as good as most 9mm SD loadings, excluding the unicorn performance of HSTs and the new Winchester "D".

I get that guy is considered a guru, but his research and writings do not include recent ammunition advancements. Just look at the dates on his cited material. For the average Joe grabbing any standard SD .380 loading off the shelf is a recipe for failure, but if your taking the time to lock down a truly acceptable loading there are a few out there
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I could have sworn that Old_Painless did a test and the only .380 that got the required penetration was straight ball.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Have you shot it? Everyone I know who has shot it (admittedly small sample size) has had multiple FTEs
View Quote
Got mine four months ago, it's been reliable in the under 300 rounds I've fired.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I assume this is a pocket pistol, if yes I like Hydra-Shok 380
If this is not a pocket pistol, I would get a more powerful caliber.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hornady XTP is the answer you seek. While a do carry a .380 most days it is due to its small size (CW380). I don't understand carrying the glock 42 at all. A Kahr CM9 or PM9 is a hair smaller and has the same capacity. Why not carry a better defensive round if you are already going to carry a larger weapon?
View Quote
I've been a glock shooter for a long time. Tons of dry fire and live fire reps along with a bunch of formal training on the 9mm versions. The 42 seems very shootable with good sights and a good trigger. I actually shot my brand new 42 better than my shields after not touching a glock for well over two years and firing thousands of rounds through my shields and countless dry practice reps through the S&Ws.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry ball and empty the magazine if, God forbid, you ever have to use it. 380 is my summer carry BTW. Don't forget an extra magazine or two.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Yup.   Carry XTPs if they feed in your gun, otherwise HydraShoks.  HS sucks for most calibers, but it works for .380 (aside from failing to expand sometimes, which makes it equal to FMJ if it fails.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoy the G42 and still carry it.  It's easy to hit stuff with it.  I have PDX in it which is on the 'underpenetrate' list so I'll aim for the shallow targets
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
My post from an older thread on the same topic:

I used to think FMJ but it seems like there are a couple JHP rounds that make 12" now.

Some tests: http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Some more: http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/p/ammo-tests.html
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FMJs.

View Quote

Phukin' this.     If it's a 380, always rock the hard ball.  It'll always feed and get to where it needs to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I ended up staggering back and forth between ball and Winchester T.   Between penetration and damage one will get them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I could have sworn that Old_Painless did a test and the only .380 that got the required penetration was straight ball.
View Quote
I'm not sure if most of the rounds that work were even widely available when he did any of that testing. I remember when the hot Buffalo Bore was about the only thing that would reliably expand and meet penetration spec and it was dicey to carry it in anything lighter than a Bersa Thunder or a PPK.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
XTP and Hydrashok are the two .380 bullets that will offer some expansion while still penetrating 12" even when they expand.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FMJs.
View Quote

Why when there are hollowpoints that will expand yet still meet pentration standards?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So closing your eyes and ears and ignoring extensive video evidence of new bullet designs meeting and exceeding FBI penatration testing is the way to go? I agree better yet don't use it at all, but loadings with XTP bullets perform as good as most 9mm SD loadings, excluding the unicorn performance of HSTs and the new Winchester "D".  

I get that guy is considered a guru, but his research and writings do not include recent ammunition advancements. Just look at the dates on his cited material. For the average Joe grabbing any standard SD .380 loading off the shelf is a recipe for failure, but if your taking the time to lock down a truly acceptable loading there are a few out there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc is an expert and he is right more often than he is wrong. But sometimes his info seems contradictory. There is no rational reason to not use a JHP bullet in .380 as long as that bullet meets penetration standards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top