Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it should be streaming for free 24/7 for all to see...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think we are viewing this from two different angles. I'm saying how different is it if the video is not public and considered evidence only available via a subpoena. If it were public domain then it's a different discussion with reams of privacy concerns
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would image the same law(s)/regulations pertaining to law enforcement vehicle dash cams would/should apply to officer body cams. I'm guessing those laws probably vary by state, but most would probably list the dash cam video as evidence and not public record, only available via subpoena in court.

Just a guess.

When was the last time you had a dash cam footage of inside a house on a domestic,  or a DOA?
How is it different? I mean, other than seeing their couch, toilet, and dinnerware on the table both dash cam and body cam show the same categories of things - people and stuff. Body cam footage would basically be like an episode of cops.

I am not explaining the obvious difference.
I think we are viewing this from two different angles. I'm saying how different is it if the video is not public and considered evidence only available via a subpoena. If it were public domain then it's a different discussion with reams of privacy concerns

That's the thing... As of right now, it will be FOIA discoverable...which is what we're all against.
Make it restricted/available under subpoena, and you'll find cops complaints (and the ACLU's) about body cams going waaay down.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

And watch taxes rise exponentially to cover the massive cost to make that happen...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is it different? I mean, other than seeing their couch, toilet, and dinnerware on the table both dash cam and body cam show the same categories of things - people and stuff. Body cam footage would basically be like an episode of cops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would image the same law(s)/regulations pertaining to law enforcement vehicle dash cams would/should apply to officer body cams. I'm guessing those laws probably vary by state, but most would probably list the dash cam video as evidence and not public record, only available via subpoena in court.

Just a guess.

When was the last time you had a dash cam footage of inside a house on a domestic,  or a DOA?

Do you have a daughter???  Hope someone doesnt catch her in the backseat of a car some night, or in a major accident where she had to be trauma stripped in the back of the ambulance while the cop is there getting information...Great fun for your neighbors... Do you have a Son??  hope he isnt found stripped and beaten because he talked to the wrong girl where his balls are swollen to the size of a volleyball... is THAT something you want your neighbors to look at??.are your parents older???  Hope one of them doesnt have a heart attack and die on the crapper...wouldnt THAT just be a peach for everyone to see???  As a Cop, on Duty, no, i really didnt have any expectation of privacy, other than in the Locker room...... but on a NIGHTLY Basis i was thrust into places where the general public has NO FUCKING Right to tread.....   I would have gone utterly batshit insane if the guys who took care of my daughter and did cpr on her the night she died had cameras running and that footage was plastered all over the web.

ETA:  Before some dipshit starts saying "Hyperbole" Every example I listed above were actual calls i was on...several of them multiplied dozens of times over my career.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And watch taxes rise exponentially to cover the massive cost to make that happen...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but I'm fed up with the "cops get away with all kinds of stuff all the time and everywhere" mentality.

As I've stated in other threads, 20, 30 even 1000 stories of bad cops or bad decisions by cops is a fraction of the 3/4 million officers out there...but you wouldn't know it from some peoples perception or media coverage.

I say let them see the spit in the face of a cop, or the slug in the cops jaw or shitty way people treat cops and each other.  Maybe the perception will change.

Maybe not.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top