Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If the police are public servants why would there encounters with the public not be public.  Of course after an investigation is concluded or no charges are pressed.  You don't want to tamper a possible jury pool.  Other than that it should all be public so people know what cops deal with.  It will also help the public know if they should be happy or upset how the institution they set up are performing there rolls.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the police are public servants why would there encounters with the public not be public.  Of course after an investigation is concluded or no charges are pressed.  You don't want to tamper a possible jury pool.  Other than that it should all be public so people know what cops deal with.  It will also help the public know if they should be happy or upset how the institution they set up are performing there rolls.
View Quote

Where rolls?  I'm kinda hungry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

So you're good with me posting your traffic stop, along with your DL, INS, Registration on the internet for everyone to see?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.  A year-old request for authorization to purchase three sub-$300 tablets to enable a certain unit to have field access to certain databases has finally been answered........by someone from the city's version of IT showing up yesterday with three $800+ desktops, complete with large monitors, speakers, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These police cams will be an industry changer, processing and catologueing all of the raw data will become a career on it's own.

QFT. I've said it before, this is not as simple an issue as some people make it out to be.

There are technological answers that could make it easy.  Choose wisely to drive the lifecycle cost down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Nothing is chosen wisely when municipalities pick technology.  

Ain't that the truth.  A year-old request for authorization to purchase three sub-$300 tablets to enable a certain unit to have field access to certain databases has finally been answered........by someone from the city's version of IT showing up yesterday with three $800+ desktops, complete with large monitors, speakers, etc.

Just governments being bad stewards of taxpayers, no real shock there.  But don't tell me its imoossible because incompitence is acceptable behavour.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These police cams will be an industry changer, processing and catologueing all of the raw data will become a career on it's own.

QFT. I've said it before, this is not as simple an issue as some people make it out to be.

There are technological answers that could make it easy.  Choose wisely to drive the lifecycle cost down.

Probably the truest thing I'm going to read today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just governments being bad stewards of taxpayers, no real shock there.  But don't tell me its imoossible because incompitence is acceptable behavour.

View Quote
It's not imoossible because incompitence is acceptable, it's imoossible because incompitence is real.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why? What are they trying to hide?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If its unavailable as evidence, its worthless.  

That said, it should be available for pending cases only.

I like this.

If there is a specific complaint, the footage gets reviewed by a grand jury and adjudicated from there.

The everyday mundane footage and non specific footage gets recycled/dumped every 30 days.

If there is evidentury value, fine, the legal system has access, otherwise.........piss off.

Public servant = my right to see what they do every day.

They work for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
They should be able to keep it private if they wish short of a court order.

If they choose to release it, fine.

The local gang bangers could find out quickly who was snitching up in here if it were streamed live or even time delayed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What exactly do body cameras fix? What do they solve?

Obama loves them. He says they should be in any area where questions of judgement are. I'm thinking he should wear one. I'm in for 5$.

Maybe everyone should just hire honest cops?

The city I live in has a fantastic reputation. Love my guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They work for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

If there is a specific complaint, the footage gets reviewed by a grand jury and adjudicated from there.

The everyday mundane footage and non specific footage gets recycled/dumped every 30 days.

If there is evidentury value, fine, the legal system has access, otherwise.........piss off.

They work for me.

What are you trying to hide?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They should be live streamed to U stream. I would pay to watch live stream policing in the Ghetto or white trash areas. Its like COPS.... but live.
View Quote

i already have too many productivity sinks readily available...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not imoossible because incompitence is acceptable, it's imoossible because incompitence is real.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure its real.  The question is what happens wheb it rears its head.  Did anyine in the IT department in schotchy's anecdote get punished?  I can guess on an answer.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So you're good with me posting your traffic stop, along with your DL, INS, Registration on the internet for everyone to see?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a distinct difference between a government agent unilaterally making a citizen's private information public (when there is no business logic to do so) versus the activity/actions/information of a government agent acting in his/her official public employee role being made public (exempting of course those things the courts have already determined must be private such as child welfare incidents, etc.). If you fail to understand that distinction, you really shouldn't be a law enforcement officer.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to.  The only check on this sort of thing is the voters, and by and large, they just don't seem to care in any place I've heard of in this country, or at least any moderate to large municipality.

Police incompetence?  Front page news around here, together with public outcry to fix it.  

City incompetence and total waste of taxpayer money?  No one cares.

Heck, the missus was digging into something unrelated a while back, and discovered that the city had bought several empty lots from a filming company a year ago.  The lots were bought by the company (which is based out of a small house in NJ if you believe corporate filings,) for exactly what their assessed value was per the city assessor's office, which was something around $38,000.00.  The price the city paid for these lots, which still sit empty, when they bought them from the film company?  $3,500,000.00 of taxpayer money, as listed and reported by the registrar of conveyances for the city.  She went to three local media outlets with it, assuming they'd jump on it and uncover more of the same.

Nope.  No one cares.  It won't sell enough ad space I guess.

So don't tell me things are going to be different when it comes to technology purchases going forward.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sure its real.  The question is what happens wheb it rears its head.  Did anyine in the IT department in schotchy's anecdote get punished?  I can guess on an answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell no, because the IT guy is dating the mayor's daughter.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not likely----they just did the delivering.  Purchasing decisions are made at a far higher level here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a distinct difference between a government agent unilaterally making a citizen's private information public (when there is no business logic to do so) versus the activity/actions/information of a government agent acting in his/her official public employee role being made public (exempting of course those things the courts have already determined must be private such as child welfare incidents, etc.). If you fail to understand that distinction, you really shouldn't be a law enforcement officer.

I'm well-fucking aware of the difference.

Can you not understand that is the point I'm trying to make.

Jesus, fucking, shit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They work for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this.

They work for me.
Not 100% true. There are things public employees do that the public should rightfully not have access to. The rub is determining what those things are. Child protective services, welfare recipient personal information, protected health information, etc. are just examples of data/information that is, and depending on the granularity of it, should be protected.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Be realistic I didn't say make my private info public i said the video.   Add in time date.  I said it should be public not that I want to see it.   Only evil hides in the dark.  I think executions by the state should be public as well.  If the gov is doing the right thing it has nothing to hide.  Light is a great disinfectant we should not be afraid to use it.  This isn't for cop bashing I have 1 in the family.  They do excellent work most of the time but most that you see is the bad.  Make it open and possibly change that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Out of my lane here... but wouldn't the admission of any of these recordings into evidence in any sort of trial preclude them from FOIA requests?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#21]
No problem with them private, but discoverable in any criminal/civil case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They work for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

They work for me.

But they record interactions with those that don't work for you and you have no right to see what is in their home, car, or on their person.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm well-fucking aware of the difference.    

Can you not understand that is the point I'm trying to make.

Jesus, fucking, shit.

You didn't make it well then. There is a difference between video/images of a police encounter where personal identifiers/information of those involved are not discernible versus the government agent making publicly known said personal identifiers/information.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Be realistic I didn't say make my private info public i said the video.
 Add in time date.  I said it should be public not that I want to see it.   Only evil hides in the dark.  I think executions by the state should be public as well.  If the gov is doing the right thing it has nothing to hide.  Light is a great disinfectant we should not be afraid to use it.  This isn't for cop bashing I have 1 in the family.  They do excellent work most of the time but most that you see is the bad.  Make it open and possibly change that.
View Quote
What do you think is going to be recorded?

When I'm sitting in the car with your DL in front of me, or I'm in your home writing a report, all of that is one the video.

Yea, there will be lots of down time, and I could care less about you watching it. I care about a woman's ex-husband getting her fucking address off of the "I STREAM TRAFFIC STOPS.COM" website.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Wonder how you'd get around FOIA?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not 100% true. There are things public employees do that the public should rightfully not have access to. The rub is determining what those things are. Child protective services, welfare recipient personal information, protected health information, etc. are just examples of data/information that is, and depending on the granularity of it, should be protected.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

They work for me.

Why do you hate freedom / the constitution?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But they record interactions with those that don't work for you and you have no right to see what is in their home, car, or on their person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

They work for me.

Don't invite the man into your life.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be realistic I didn't say make my private info public i said the video.  Add in time date.  I said it should be public not that I want to see it.   Only evil hides in the dark.  I think executions by the state should be public as well.  If the gov is doing the right thing it has nothing to hide.  Light is a great disinfectant we should not be afraid to use it.  This isn't for cop bashing I have 1 in the family.  They do excellent work most of the time but most that you see is the bad.  Make it open and possibly change that.

When I'm sitting in the car with your DL in front of me, or I'm in your home writing a report, all of that is one the video.

Yea, there will be lots of down time, and I could care less about you watching it. I care about a woman's ex-husband getting her fucking address off of the "I STREAM TRAFFIC STOPS.COM" website.

On the bright side imagine all the jobs that would be created at all the law enforcement agencies across the nation for an employee to review every single second of footage captured on police bodycams and then blur out any personal identifying information. Just think of the countless hours of footage from airport or transit cops. God, imagine how dull that job would be watching.editing that footage.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be realistic I didn't say make my private info public i said the video.  Add in time date.  I said it should be public not that I want to see it.   Only evil hides in the dark.  I think executions by the state should be public as well.  If the gov is doing the right thing it has nothing to hide.  Light is a great disinfectant we should not be afraid to use it.  This isn't for cop bashing I have 1 in the family.  They do excellent work most of the time but most that you see is the bad.  Make it open and possibly change that.

On the bright side imagine all the jobs that would be created at all the law enforcement agencies across the nation for an employee to review every single second of footage captured on police bodycams and then blur out any personal identifying information. Just think of the countless hours of footage from airport or transit cops. God, imagine how dull that job would be watching.editing that footage.  

Sounds expensive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Why keep the video private if the police have nothing to hid?  

I agree that it should be private to the general public but available to the people involved in the case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]
It should be available.  Add a fee to it to prevent the "basement dwellers".  If your an involved party up to 1 hour of video is free, it's $100 an hour after that.  If you're not an involved party than it's $100 per minute with no free part.

Or we could just have the cops wear masks and use aliases.  Can you picture a cop pulling you over in a halloween mask and saying "Greeting sir! I'm officer Fuck You, do you know how fast you were going?"  Hell, Extorris might come out of retirement for that.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds expensive.
Hey, that's what Democrat's are for! To pay for all the expensive stuff society "needs" that those evil Republicans are unwilling to fund.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#34]
...Cornish, chair of the House Public Safety Committee, introduced a bill that would classify the video from body cameras as private data accessible only to law enforcement and the subjects of the video. He said privacy concerns and the cost of redacting data are the reasons to keep the videos confidential....
View Quote

Doesn't seem unreasonable, but its safe to say that it will be horribly abused.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
jmho... but anything should be publicly available AFTER the investigation and case has ended. no different than any other legal document.
View Quote

So, the video of me finding you behind the bar banging some dude should be public?

No criminal charges and I told you guys to knock it off.

The stuff we see is often private. It has no business in the public realm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I think i'm going to send in a FOIA request for "every document, recording, and video the Country has since 1776" to who ever i need to send it to.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think i'm going to send in a FOIA request for "every document, recording, and video the Country has since 1776" to who ever i need to send it to.

View Quote

National archives.  Expect a hefty bill estimate to accomplish.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Private? What does that even mean?

View Quote

Does that mean unavailable to a FOIA request?

I don't think they should be public, but they should be available.
Exactly

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Simple....truth hurts.....Cause they do have something to hide Recording there interactions with the public add a level of "accountability" It protects them aswell as us. If there fighting that with there 50 different excuses.......what does that tell you
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good.

Basement dwelling Tommy doesn't need to be able to request videos of some of the shit cops see. Why would a video of me finding a father who hung himself or a father who slit his wrists in the bathtub with his family downstairs need to be made public?
View Quote

Public servants on the clock should have nothing private
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good.

Basement dwelling Tommy doesn't need to be able to request videos of some of the shit cops see. Why would a video of me finding a father who hung himself or a father who slit his wrists in the bathtub with his family downstairs need to be made public?
View Quote

///THREAD///
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cop paid for his/her own camera...ok, it's private.

If I paid for the camera (my tax dollars) fork it over, the video is MINE.
View Quote

So that B-2 bomber and it's nuke payload belong to ME?  Cool!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#43]
It should be available to anyone with a legit interest in the case upon request.  Interest in this case does not mean curiosity. It means that they are somehow involved in the case.  What they do with it after that is their business.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Including what occurs on the job in a private home.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
So an encounter of any kind with an officer would be a license to put your face on youtube?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why Lt Gorman stays back in the APC!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#47]
The first perv with a website to FOIA all the College Campus PD sex assault interviews is going to make millions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Simple....truth hurts.....Cause they do have something to hide Recording there interactions with the public add a level of "accountability" It protects them aswell as us. If there fighting that with there 50 different excuses.......what does that tell you
View Quote

I can't speak for the other 729,970 officers in the USA but my 30 man department would welcome them.  I could care less if my daily activity is recorded.  Currently not in budget, but I suspect that will change in the coming years...

You get me talking to myself, singing to song on radio and people lying.  Thats the normal work day.

"I didn't mean to go thru that red light..."

"I didn't mean to steal those shrimps in my drawers..."

"These ain't even my pants.."  (Yes, this has been said to me..)

"There's no WAY I was doing 54 mph in that 40 mph zone...my car can't go that fast.."

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

The people here are all for rights and privacy, but want to make every video public when the police are having a private conversation with a person, responding to a crime, or dealing with critical incidents.

The CHP trooper that posted aftermath of a car crash was not treatly kindly here. He sent out some photos of the crime scene, which should be made public based upon the thoughts of some people here.

If the videos are public information, am I allowed to retrieve my own videos and publish them? Am I not also granted that right since they are public documents? How would victims and people feel knowing that the officer can not only witness their private incident but that he could also go post them on Youtube when he is done?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#50]
You do not want the video being publicly available on a whim trust me.

For instance, your wife suffers some type of issue. She strips her clothes off a did nude. Law enforcement will be sent to secure the scene for EMS due to the nature of the call. Also due to the nature of the call OR policy we have our body cam rolling. Now little timmy basement dweller can request that video and post your wife nude on the radio.

Second your son discovers auto erotic asphyxiation. I get called and to help document the scene for evidentiary purposes OR policy I have my camera rolling. Now your sons whole school/Facebook can get the video of him hanging on the door naked.

I am a pro-body cam LEO as I think it would stop of a lot of things from the public and would make he bad apples in my profession stop the stupidity if they are being recorded. But I do not think the public should babe willy-nilly access to the footage.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top