Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 10:30:31 PM EDT
I experienced this hell on earth two weeks ago.  I woke a couple of Friday's ago about 2:00am with a massive sharp pain in my abdomen.  I didnt go to work that day and the pain got so bad, i couldnt get off the bed without getting light headed and feeling like i was going to pass out.  By the time my wife got home from work, my temperature shot up to 103.7.  

I spent the next two days in the hospital and it has taken all of these last two weeks to recover.  This was easily one of the worst pains i've ever had and i dont wish it on anyone

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, when I was 30.  Colon ruptured, about died.  Had the bag for 3 months till they decided I could live some more.  Colon resection, life is good again.  That was 20 years ago.  Good luck to you.

Take Metamucil every day.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep - onset was fast, all inside one day - took probably 2 weeks to get back to normal - the antibiotics changed the way everything tasted, even water. Hurt enough I did the 2 in the morning er visit, it felt like something was really wrong.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My grandma did.  Refused to go to the doctor until it was too late.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Have it, hate it.

Just consulted a surgeon a bit ago, he thinks it can be treated with an antispasmodic instead of surgery. Getting scoped next week. That sucks too, well mostly the prep sucks.

I've had spells off and on for about 4 years now.
Seems to be they popcorn is my downfall. I'm trying to do the right things and eat healthier and more fiber but that sucks too.

I really hate the idea of a colonectomy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit me when I arrived in Kuwait. Had surgery at Arifjan. Removed half my colon. Was able to complete my tour in Taji. Haven't been to bothered with it since except for minor gas pockets that hurt. VA told me to go fuck off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, it sucks...the bad thing is you can't tell when it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandma did.  Refused to go to the doctor until it was too late.
View Quote

Exactly what happened to my grandmother.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to google it and now I think I know even less than when I knew nothing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Not acute case . But enough to land me in the er anyway. They claim its better now. But I still feel some discomfort, mild pain in the same place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  It blows
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is pockets/craters/thin spots in the colon/small intestine that get infected. They cause severe pan and can rupture causing all kinds of bad shit including death.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Had this last year and like others said fiber is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Surgery 12 years ago.   No major problems since.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep. Had several episodes from it. Was admitted in ER three times from it, although after the first time when I was diagnosed it was easier for them to treat me. Doc put me on a constant dose of flagyl and cipro until i had laparoscopic surgery to cut it out.

My strong suggestion to anyone suffering from it is to go ahead and have the surgery done asap. In the long term you will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad had it. Ended up with a colostomy bag. Doctor said it was stress induced.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is pockets/craters/thin spots in the colon/small intestine that get infected. They cause severe pan and can rupture causing all kinds of bad shit including death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep. Had several episodes from it. Was admitted in ER three times from it, although after the first time when I was diagnosed it was easier for them to treat me. Doc put me on a constant dose of flagyl and cipro until i had laparoscopic surgery to cut it out.

My strong suggestion to anyone suffering from it is to go ahead and have the surgery done asap. In the long term you will be glad you did.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. Good to know the surgery is successful. I'm trying the antispasmodic s for now to see if they do the job. So far so good, just went through a slight attack if it and the pills worked without cipro and flagyl.

But I do fear the rupture or a full colon removal if it comes to emergency removal.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, had it and thought it was a weird kidney stone till Dr. pressed on lower left abdominal quadrant and I somehow levitated off the exam table.

Miralax and antibiotics fixed it up, mine was a bad reaction to a spinal injection. Wouldn't wish it on all but my most bitter enemies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, last year.

Easily the most agonizing pain I have ever experienced. "Somebody PLEASE kill me now" level pain.

Spent a week in the hospital having antibiotics shotgunned into me and another two weeks with a PICC line
in my arm taking antibiotics after that. That sucked: every six hours, day and night.

Missed having to have surgery by THIS much, Thank God. Haven't had it again, knock on wood.

Damn, that hurt.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jesus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus.

Just another way nature can play the "bang, you're dead" joke on you when you least expect it.

My uncle just passed away from a colon infection with complications from surgery.  Not sure if AD related or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
oh yes my friend.
I put up with it for a few days and then it went nuclear and told my wife to drive me to ER because I was dying.

I almost ended up with surgery but some massive doses of Rocephin cleared the immediate issue.  I will never eat popcorn again, which more than likely caused mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Diverticula are pretty common. It isn't until you get a buildup and infection that it is even noticed.  Try more fiber, as it is thought fiber can reduce the formation and inflammation of them. The pain sucks, but it can go away with antibiotics and proper diet.  If you just can't shake it, then you might need surgery.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Dupe
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is an image showing diverticula. They are the white pouches you see at the bottom of the transverse colon. (The six or so "drops" of white you see across the middle). The reason they are white is that they trapped barium from a recent contrast study, much like they trap digested food and become infected.  They are simply outpouchings of the intestines, and you can see why they easily hold food in.

Page fromwhich the image was referenced: http://images.rheumatology.org/viewphoto.php?imageId=2861514
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#25]
My mother has had it for over 20 years.  I'm currently involved here at work in a study revolving around gut surgeries (as well as whipples and HIPECs)  and a new protocol and used those surgeries as the starting point for Length of Stay, Cost and Readmission statistics.  Patients in the study were released from the hospital sooner and had lower costs and fewer complications.  We're looking for a larger group to study readmission.
If my mom comes in for problems, my intention is to demand they give her the new protocol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had it twice in the last year. It sucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had it hit me once so far, it wasn't nearly as bad as some others here have had though, I guess it was a mild case for me.

So far all of the things the Dr. has told me not to eat has worked for me. No more corn, peanuts, pistachios or any kind of nut.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Had it several times.  I can relate.  First time that I had it same thing.  Went to the er with a very high temp.  After several bouts.  Had a foot of my colon removed.  No issues (after 12 years) until last year.  Got another infection.  Caught it in time that I didn't have to go to the hospital.  Meds took care of the infection.  Reminds me.  I have to go take some fiber now.  

Don't joke around with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I see that you are in WV.  My Dr. that did the surgery is very familiar with it.  He is also very pro 2nd!  If you ever do the surgery I can highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#30]
My dear spouse has had it for years.  A round of Cipro fixes it after a few days.  

No problems as long as irritating foods (e.g. popcorn) are avoided.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My dear spouse has had it for years.  A round of Cipro fixes it after a few days.  
No problems as long as irritating foods (e.g. popcorn) are avoided.  

Good luck!
View Quote

I was prescribed cipro and phlagyl (spellling?).

Never in my 40 years have I ever experienced the feeling of the remedy being worse than the symptoms. That cocktail of antibiotics made me so sick that last Thanksgiving I could only stomach about five bites of dinner.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, 3 bouts of it so far over a three year period.

I cut corn and nuts from my diet, and haven't had a recurrence since (2 years.) Some research says corn isn't a problem, but there seems to be a correlation in my case.

And you're right, it's horrible.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had a few attacks over the last couple of years, but they only lasted 24-hours. Pain was moderate and I always chalked it up to IBS.  Last attack I had was in April of 2014.  Pain was so bad that I was begging my wife to shoot me and put me out of my misery (I was doubled over screaming like a banshee...). My temp shot up to 102-deg.  At that point, wife drove me to a walk-in clinic. Doc told me it was diverticulitis - gave me cipro/flagyl and Percocet.  Told me if I was still in agony in 6-hours that I should get my ass to the emergency room ASAP. I didn't even make it 4-hours.

I was admitted and was hooked up to an antibiotic drip for 5-days. Lots of saline/dextrose bags - no food or water by mouth. Also, lots of Dilaudid - which was a godsend.

My laproscopic surgery is scheduled for 23 February.  Barium enema is this coming Monday, as my colonoscopy couldn't be completed due to a sigmoidal stricture.

The thought of surgery scares me, but not more than having my colon bursting and dying from peritonitis......

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#34]
It killed a member here- ErictheHun if I am not mistaken.  Most of my family on my dads side has had it me included.  I had to have 10 " of sigmoid colon removed 4 years ago. been pain free since then but I have to watch what I eat, (plenty of fiber and I take 4 stool softeners every day or I don't Poop)  I was in pain for years at the beltline on my left side, I was on antibiotics for it off and on, and finally ended up in the ER with extreme pain, had an emergency scope and it showed a bright red area in the colon (didn't show on CT BTW) and when I had surgery the area was heavily scarred and smaller than it should be.

It is not something to mess with.

Had a scope last year and doc said everything looked great and see ya in 10 years. so yes it was worth getting it done. I had 4 incisions (small) and they took it out through my belly button. It was painful but keep up on the meds and walk when they let you(in the hospital), it helps things heal quicker and gets you out of the hospital quicker.  good luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Had it, gone now. After a few rounds of Cipro, almost unbearable pain, opted for surgery ten years ago. All is well now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep. 4 1/2 hours of surgery when they also found a Meckel's Diverticulum. They're usually about 2" long, mine was big enough to wrap around my pelvis and attached itself to it.

Don't eat nuts or seeds. You'll beg for a quick death.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The thought of surgery scares me, but not more than having my colon bursting and dying from peritonitis......

View Quote

Don't worry about the surgery, it will be just fine.  I remember laying on the table and the anesthesiologist said "ok here we go" and my arm and chest got cold, and that was it.  Woke up a few hours later with everything said and done.  Had the surgery Tuesday morning, was discharged from hospital Friday morning. I was up and walking Tuesday night around the hallways at the hospital. After getting home I took it really easy for 7-10 days taking Tylenol 3 as needed and kept getting better every day. The only problem I had was pissing after the anesthetic (which is apparently pretty common). My doc didn't have a catheter put in while I was in surgery, so for the first day after surgery the nurses needed to snap one in when my bladder got too full. After that I was pissing like a champ.  Couldn't take a deuce til Thursday night though, but considering part of my poop tube got cut out I suppose that's not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine was so bad I eventually had 6" removed from my colon.  Tried modified diet but was a constant problem was in constant pain even when there wasn't an infection.  I was only 39. Said I was way Young to have the problems I did.  Fiber is your friend! In countries where they have little to no processed food they have zero cases of it.  Processed food typically had limited fiber.  I pretty much raised myself. So my diet was always the 3 food groups(box can drive through). The docs were certain that's why I had it bad so Young.  Since the surgery (2 years ago) no problems but have made changes to my diet.

I wonder though if it might having a generic component to it.  I had an uncle who went out to dinner one night then get sick after. Thought it was bad food and he is the type who doesn't like going to the doctor.  He waited until they had to call 911 for him.  It was so bad his colon burst and he actually died a few times on the operating table.  About a year later after many surgeries they eventually saved 12" of his colon.  He had to use a bag most of the time until they reattached the 12" they could save.  Don't mess around with it idont wait if your are having a lot of pain.

The odd think is having the problem with it saved my life.  In the process when they finally did a colonoscopy after a few rounds of antibiotics they found a polyp that they removed that they tested.  When the doc explained the results he said well the good news is while it was about as per cancerous as it could be without being cancer you now have to get yearly colonoscopy.  He also said by the time I got to the age where a colonoscopy was recommend I probably would having been dead quite a few years. So having the diverticulitis pretty much saved my life.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Not "acute" I don't think but I did end up in the hospital for 2 days with it last fall. Stomach ache for 5 weeks, went to my family doctor after the 4th week but it wasn't caught then even though she pressed on my lower abdomen. After the 5th week I said fuck it, we have insurance, lets go to the ER. Docs weren't too worried since I wasn't showing the typical symptoms, until they saw the MRI results. 2 days of I.V. antibiotics took care of it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes. It's horrible. Have been hospitalized 5 times for over a month total with it and finally had half of my large intestine taken out.

Have been pretty much free of symptoms since except for one time I was hospitalized with it again and wound up receiving an overdose of dilaudid and went into respiratory arrest followed by cardiac arrest. By the grace of God a tech found me and I was asystole on the monitor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck me I feel like death.

Hoping the Bentyl or antibiotics kick in soon.

Crockpot of hot sausage all ready to eat and all I can do is smell it. But damn it does smell good.

I hate this fucking disease or whatever it's considered.

At least I know what did it, I was weak. Fucking popcorn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top