Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 10:14:36 PM EDT
I just paid six thousand for one, and it was installed today.

First problem. Wrong bed. It was supposed to be split so that both sides could raise independently. Then bad news, whoops, my model isn't actually offered with the split, and that will be several hundred more to upgrade. No easy solution, no compensation whatsoever offered for their mistake so far, just frustration. (We're stuck with this bed until it gets sorted out).

Problem two. Wife's side pump doesn't work right. Apparently they don't test these things prior to or during install. The guy in the store said these newer model pumps go for 10+ years without any maintenance, which is hard to believe since this one didn't make it one day.

So I'm debating a full return. What say you? Any others with experience, good or bad? I want to make up my mind by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sleep Number Bed = padded version of this :

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I love our sleep number.  We got it around 2007 and I haven't had a sore back since.  We have one of the dual chamber models.  I'm a bit heavier than my wife, and I have to have the bed very soft.  She, very hard.  This makes for an interesting setup where it almost feels like I'm downhill from her.

Beds been good, though.

We paid slightly less than $6k.  You must have gotten a top of the line model.

Just give them a call and see what they can do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Sleep number bed and mypillow, the best 2 things I ever bought.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Sleep Number, No.

Tempurpedic.  YES.   Best investment I have have made in myself.  Worth every penny, year after year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had ours over 10 yrs. some prom lies, but resolved via warranty . They replaced my side of split king twice and wife's side once . Best thing we did was get top o'line sheets for best hot/cool comfort. We still enjoy nights sleep in our own bed so very much more than in any resort, inn or upscale hotel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell did you people buy for $6k? Mine was only $3k with dual chambers and head/foot elevation.  I skipped the hotel room massager, and figured the climate control was not worth the added cost. I'd it really twice the cost for this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't have one if I had all your money.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My Sleep Number is 6 or 7 years old and I LOVE it.

Chuck a Memory foam topper on it? Bliss.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sleep Number, No.

Tempurpedic.  YES.   Best investment I have have made in myself.  Worth every penny, year after year.
View Quote

I like our tempurpedic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife and I have one with one chamber each.
Think we paid around 1K. step up from base maybe. I don't remember as its been about 5 years.
Only problem we have had is the center seems to sag, I don't know if we have "over used" the middle with extracurricular activities or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
We have had ours for about six months now and love it. I sleep like the dead.

They didn't test during install? That's odd. They guys that came and installed ours were very professional. I asked if I could watch them put it together so when I have to move it I would know what went where and they told me that they prefer that I watch them. They explained as they went and showed me all the tricks they have. They made sure both remotes were programmed and that the bed worked as it should. Made sure we understood everything, answered all our questions.

They were also very happy with the glasses of iced tea we provided them.

We got the P5 split king with adjustable base.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Worst night of sleep I have pretty much ever had was on a sleep number bed.  I am pretty easy, but it was just damn uncomfortable.   Good luck, OP.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Really expensive air mattress.  Greatly disliked ours.  You have to pump them up every few days, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Worst night of sleep I have pretty much ever had was on a sleep number bed.  I am pretty easy, but it was just damn uncomfortable.   Good luck, OP.  
View Quote

When we first for ours, I hated it. Couldn't find the right setting, and since I thought I slept best on a firm mattress, I just kept cranking it up until it was like sleeping on a slab of granite.

Then I let out a bunch of air and started sleeping like a baby. Loved it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got mine about 2 weeks ago love it
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, it's basically a fancy air mattress. The real significant advantage is the ability to change the firmness at will, without any movement or effort other than reaching out for the remote. You can't do that with other types of mattress.  
Everybody talks about "finding your sleep number" as though the mattress is a simple "set and forget". Psssht. It's got a damn air pump and remote for a reason.
I have about 8 "sleep numbers", varying widely from 10 to 85, depending on how much I abused my back and hips that day, and typically change the setting 2x per night.
That's the real "sleep number advantage".
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really expensive air mattress.  Greatly disliked ours.  You have to pump them up every few days, etc.
View Quote

Ours never goes down unless we tell it to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
We got a sleep #. Tried every damn # from 0 to 100. Week after week. In the end, I couldn't get out of bed one day. My back was killing me. Wife's was too.

Went and tried a tempurpedic. Did the 90 home trial. It was fantastic. Our backs were much better. You couldn't give me one of those air mattresses again. I'd rather sleep on a rock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sleep Number, No.

View Quote

I had tempurpedic and recently went with Serta IComfort, Both are really nice, but i sleep better on Serta, I think it was savant model.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I am replacing a Posturepedic, so definitely not getting another memory foam bed. They are nice, but I need something more elaborate for my back and hips. I'm becoming an old man (over 40 now) so this is like a medical necessity heh. I am certainly interested in other beds that compete with Sleep Number though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like our tempurpedic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sleep Number, No.

I like our tempurpedic.

Ditto this!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sleep Number, No.

View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#24]
How many ounces of Gold could you buy for one of those?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Tried Sleep number sent it back.  Ended up with a Temperpedic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
We like ours; we didn't pay but 1/3 what you paid.  Sure it is the lower end version; but it does have independent sides .  Great to sleep on, however it is not so great for sex.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Tried one at a hotel. totally underwhelmed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sleep Number, No.

View Quote

This. Just bought a king size Tempurpedic fully adjustable.

Insomnia = gone
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Wife had to have one maybe 4 years ago and that sleepnumber is a complete piece of shit.

Damn thing was like $4000 or $5000 so living with it just out of spite to cost amortize it over a couple more years.

Thing leaks, so you have to pump it back up every week.  The fun part is that you push the button on the remote and its says say 90....I am like the fuck you are set at 90, so you have to set it down to 80 to get it out of its electronically induced alzheimer's, then its like oh sorry I really am at 50 which flashes on the remote and it pumps itself up to 80.  Then push the button again to get it back up to 90.

The foam top sacks out after a year or two and there is one small divot on my wifes side and a huge divot on my side, where the sheets now bunch up.  She is 5'2 120lbs and I am 6'2 220lbs so neither of us are huge.  Even with the bed made with the comforter on you see the divot on my side.  I wake up every morning looking like a zebra from sleeping on sheets that bunch up in the divot.

They have no bounce back like a normal mattress so fucking on them sucks balls as well.

I literally plan to take that fucker out to my buddies ranch, soak it in lighter fluid and light that bitch up in a year or two when it gets replaced with a normal mattress.

I implore you if you are still under the return policy to take that thing back before its too late.

I think the only worse household invention is the front loading washer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I like ours,glad we bought it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Didn't read all the post but I have personal experience and anyone that ask me I tell that they suck! Hope you like having a wall right down the middle of the bed. Spend the money on a real pillow top mattress and don't look back.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a T&N foam mattress off Amazon for a couple bills. And a hammock w/ stand I build from pipe at Lowes. Bet Im more comfortable, and with the money I saved Ill fund my IRA for the year. Good day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We like ours; we didn't pay but 1/3 what you paid.  Sure it is the lower end version; but it does have independent sides .  Great to sleep on, however it is not so great for sex.
View Quote

Try sleep number 100 for that.......

The newer one's have a setting for sleep number 100.....

From all the threads on here about the Sleep Number Beds, you either LOVE IT, or you HATE IT......

I love mine......Started with the basic one (that didn't have the number settings) years ago, and then upgraded to the pillow top, newer pump, with the numbers....Great nights sleep every night.

Give it a good honest try.

And, if you don't like it, send it back!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#36]
My parents used to have a sleep number bed.  One christmas while I was home on leave, it popped like a balloon...  scariest. shit. ever.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Seems like we have one of these at least once a month now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Being able to adjust the bed is the ticket.

Love mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top