Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2015 6:20:45 PM EDT
A kubota rtv900 would be nice but so would a shitter made of gold

There anything like it (gasoline is fine) that doesn't cost as much as a fleet of used cars?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they would be fun, but my suburban cost less than some of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I had more fun on my cheap honda recon 250 than my SxS now, just sucked hauling corn and dead animals on it
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Suzuki Ozark 250.  Really wish i never sold it because it hauled my fat ass all over with ease and if it got stuck it was so light I could just pull it out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Polaris sportsman 500? I have a 2012 model and it's been bulletproof.. It was 5200 out the door.. U can get them cheap used
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

$18,000.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks, I can buy a used Tacoma for that. Or a brand new Subaru.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
the Kubota are both heavy and $$$
it might take some looking but look for a Kawasaki Mule if your needing the bigger motor
or a JD Gator if your just wanting a slow work horse
Polaris Ranger too

here is they key part
your looking for older folk who used the thing around a ranch or maybe checking the mail
not younger folk where its seen every mud hole it can its entire life

bought 2 Gators and a Mule this way
I dont have a preference
just all depends on how much you want to play or work or a combo of both
the work Gators are slow and not toys

ETA: and if your set on new... I cant help you they are all expensive these days
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2003 Honda Rancher that has carried my ass over a good part of NV. I live at 4800 ' and routinely take it to 10,000' and over some incredibly rough terrain and it has never let me down. 75 --80 mile round trips out to the middle of nowhere, OK maybe not the middle of nowhere but you can see it from there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the Kubota are both heavy and $$$
it might take some looking but look for a Kawasaki Mule if your needing the bigger motor
or a JD Gator if your just wanting a slow work horse
Polaris Ranger too

here is they key part
your looking for older folk who used the thing around a ranch or maybe checking the mail
not younger folk where its seen every mud hole it can its entire life

bought 2 Gators and a Mule this way
I dont have a preference
just all depends on how much you want to play or work or a combo of both
the work Gators are slow and not toys

I worked at a place that had a couple 4x4 Kawasaki Mules. Plowed snow with them. ( it's Nevada so there really wasn't that much)  But in any kind of rough terrain they would get stuck in their own shadows.
ETA: and if your set on new... I cant help you they are all expensive these days
View Quote

placed the reply in the wrong damn spot. sorry
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Polaris sportsman 500? I have a 2012 model and it's been bulletproof.. It was 5200 out the door.. U can get them cheap used
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
not looking for an atv, but a sit down atvish thingy, whatever the fuck they call them

my dad has an rtv900, has for about a decade now and it's bulletproof, it's simply out of the question price-wise

running around on somebody else's kawasaki mule right now and it's nice but it's no kubota.  i also have no idea what one costs

just wondering if such a thing is made that doesn't suck and can be had without a wealthy relative dying
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I was really wanting a Ranger Crew but not gonna pay $15,000+ for a base model. Decided to just put a few grand into making my Wrangler TJ a little more comfy for off-road use. Buy a nice lifted Wrangler TJ for less and go all the same places without having to tow anything!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was really wanting a Ranger Crew but not gonna pay $15,000+ for a base model. Decided to just put a few grand into making my Wrangler TJ a little more comfy for off-road use. Buy a nice lifted Wrangler TJ for less and go all the same places without having to tow anything!
View Quote

This makes more sense to me and it comes with a heater.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A kubota rtv900 would be nice but so would a shitter made of gold

There anything like it (gasoline is fine) that doesn't cost as much as a fleet of used cars?
View Quote

sorry, but no.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

not looking for an atv, but a sit down atvish thingy, whatever the fuck they call them

my dad has an rtv900, has for about a decade now and it's bulletproof, it's simply out of the question price-wise

running around on somebody else's kawasaki mule right now and it's nice but it's no kubota.  i also have no idea what one costs

just wondering if such a thing is made that doesn't suck and can be had without a wealthy relative dying
View Quote
I've used the Kubotas on job sites, and like you said, they cost 18k because they can take the abuse and ask for more.  Way more than what I needed.  I picked up a Honda SxS, it's a nice balance between work and play.  I use it on ~1600 acres, does what I need it to.  

A Jeep would not be able to follow it, and if it did would tear up the land.  Plus it doesn't break down

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
A orange rtv-x900wl-a should be able to be bought for around 13,650.

That's spray in liner, atv tires and a 21.6hp Kubota diesel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy an older jeep, save 8,000 bucks.....and you can drive it on the road.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Gently used Polaris Ranger.

Fuck Jeeps, I hate those things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm happy with my Kioti Mechron.  I looked at the Kubota offerings (own a Kubota tractor and dad does as well).  I just coudn't justify the Kubota side by sides.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah these confuse me.

Saw a new one (forget what brand) set up outside of the Costco a few weeks ago. Had 4 seats, a roof, a smallish bed and that was pretty much it ; 21,000.

I bought a 97 Jeep TJ for $3k before.

No idea where this extra $18k+ is coming from as the Jeep is an actual vehicle that can drive on the road, is roughly the same size length/width, has a much stronger powerplant, frame and suspension and you won't spontaneously combust if you get hit by something.

No fucking idea who buys these things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Why would anyone want a diesel atv, side by side or otherwise unless it was for farm use or something like that? Have they done something to mitigate the fumes?

I can't fathom going hunting on one with my clothes smelling of diesel fumes.

My old 1990 Honda 300 4X4 Fourtrax (the blue one) toted my fat ass for better than twenty years, hauled countless deer, and a lifetime worth of bear and never let me down. No flat land action either, all "mountain".

Pushed a lot of snow too for a "small" 4-wheeler. Other than the routine stuff, a battery every four years or so, and a few sets of tires over the years it ran as good as the day I bought it when I sold it.

That said I took good care of it and it was always kept in a out building or garage.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 for $4K used. Just had to re-wire the winch controller and fix a leaking tire.  
$4K seems to be about the cheapest you can get anything decent used. The Rhino has a dump bed rear and lots of parts support so repairs will be easy and relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ours was three years old when we bought it plus a snow plow kit for $4000.  Only failures have been one battery and the winch cable breaking from lifting and dropping the plow blade over & over.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gently used Polaris Ranger.

Fuck Jeeps, I hate those things.
View Quote

The most versatile toy I have ever purchased.

Not cheap, but worth it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]
We have the RTV400 which was $7500 OTD this time last year.  Have put 440 hours on it and it's been rock solid.   For a full day of riding fast, I'd much rather use the Arctic Cat or Yamaha ATV's I have, but the Kubota has been rock solid.  Plenty enough power to putt around on, 4x4 w/locking diff and bought a soft top for winter.  It also has the Subaru Robin fuel injected engine.  

I have  a distrust for all things Polaris. The only thing close in price was the Kawasaki Mule 610, which has almost identical stats but has a carb.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've used the Kubotas on job sites, and like you said, they cost 18k because they can take the abuse and ask for more.  Way more than what I needed.  I picked up a Honda SxS, it's a nice balance between work and play.  I use it on ~1600 acres, does what I need it to.  

A Jeep would not be able to follow it, and if it did would tear up the land.  Plus it doesn't break down    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even at 1900lbs the Kubota can still float over mud my jeep would rut up bady or get stuck in or both
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why would anyone want a diesel atv, side by side or otherwise unless it was for farm use or something like that? Have they done something to mitigate the fumes?

View Quote

?que?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We have the RTV400 which was $7500 OTD this time last year.  Have put 440 hours on it and it's been rock solid.   For a full day of riding fast, I'd much rather use the Arctic Cat or Yamaha ATV's I have, but the Kubota has been rock solid.  Plenty enough power to putt around on, 4x4 w/locking diff and bought a soft top for winter.  It also has the Subaru Robin fuel injected engine.  

I have  a distrust for all things Polaris. The only thing close in price was the Kawasaki Mule 610, which has almost identical stats but has a carb.
View Quote

I'm a fourwheeler guy myself too, but I do sell a ton of the Kubota rtvs.  They have their place for a larger landowner.  I like the diesel models myself, but the RTV400 and RTV500 gas machines are like you said a bit more affordable.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This!

I have a RTV 500.  I bought a beat to hell Geo Tracker for 700 bucks so it could actually haul the 4 of us around my property.  Find a good used car and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My old 1990 Honda 300 4X4 Fourtrax (the blue one) toted my fat ass for better than twenty years, hauled countless deer, and a lifetime worth of bear and never let me down. No flat land action either, all "mountain".

Pushed a lot of snow too for a "small" 4-wheeler. Other than the routine stuff, a battery every four years or so, and a few sets of tires over the years it ran as good as the day I bought it when I sold it.

That said I took good care of it and it was always kept in a out building or garage.
View Quote
Kubota RTV is damn near the size of a Suzuki Samurai. The tailpipe is like four feet away from you, and you're presumably moving in the opposite direction of the fumes. They are spendy, but fucking bomb proof reliable and will climb and controllably descend stuff that will scare the living shit out of you.

Oh yeah, OP. For the love of God, don't get a Mule. They eat $200 fuel pumps like they were candy, and give no warning of when they are going bad.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
They are called UTV's.  I have worked on a couple of ranches I have used Kawasaki Mules, Kubota UTV's, Polaris Rangers and Jeeps.  Kubota was the stoutest built UTV but I hate the engine brake.  I would not waste money on a UTV if it were my money, I would buy a Jeep.  They are cheaper to buy and repair.  I have been at the same ranch for over six years and we have bought 6 new Polaris Rangers every two years because they constantly breakdown and repairs cost a couple of grand every time they go the shop.  The ranch has had the same two jeeps for 12 years.  The owner bought them cheap and when they breakdown and go to the shop its only a couple hundred bucks usually.  By the way the entire ranch is covered in deep sand, like sand dunes from the beach type sand.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They are called UTV's.  I have worked on a couple of ranches I have used Kawasaki Mules, Kubota UTV's, Polaris Rangers and Jeeps.  Kubota was the stoutest built UTV but I hate the engine brake.  I would not waste money on a UTV if it were my money, I would buy a Jeep.  They are cheaper to buy and repair.  I have been at the same ranch for over six years and we have bought 6 new Polaris Rangers every two years because they constantly breakdown and repairs cost a couple of grand every time they go the shop.  The ranch has had the same two jeeps for 12 years.  The owner bought them cheap and when they breakdown and go to the shop its only a couple hundred bucks usually.  By the way the entire ranch is covered in deep sand, like sand dunes from the beach type sand.
View Quote

Not to be a dick, but they don't have an engine brake, the hydrostatic transmission is what provides positive holdback while descending. a feature that many people love because of hauling heavy loads downhill.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've had the Polaris Rangers on jobsites, even new ones, and they were junky IMO.  We always balked at the "best riding UTV" sticker on the glove box.  Some guys love em, but I'd never think about owning one.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a fully loaded 05 or 06 RTV.  It has been completely trouble free.  I use it to haul firewood and my self from the house to the shop.  It gets used every day and I could not be without one.

I would consider selling it but only to replace it with another one.  I like the new one with hard doors.  Mine has a hard top and removable fabric/steel doors

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]
We have an RTV 400 at work we use to take soil samples with and it's great. It was about 8k with brush guard and roof iirc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#35]
My dad has a couple of Kubotas at his farm and they've been nearly bulletproof. The only things they've had to replace have been regular maintenance items such as tires, oil and filters, air and fuel filters, etc. Theyre pretty good about starting even when its cold outside.

I wouldn't spend the money on a Kubota. I'd buy a used Yamaha Rhino 660 or 700 for $4-5k.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]
find a used rhino. Built well and for many years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it has more to do with convenience from the size and weight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kubota RTV is damn near the size of a Suzuki Samurai. The tailpipe is like four feet away from you, and you're presumably moving in the opposite direction of the fumes. They are spendy, but fucking bomb proof reliable and will climb and controllably descend stuff that will scare the living shit out of you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK that a bit of a different story. I don't watch those hunting shows so I had no idea they were so big.

Shame they can't make a MB "Jeep" these days. I swear if I could get it between two trees it would go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not to be a dick, but they don't have an engine brake, the hydrostatic transmission is what provides positive holdback while descending. a feature that many people love because of hauling heavy loads downhill.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and you can fix it for $50 if you don't like it
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a fully loaded 05 or 06 RTV.  It has been completely trouble free.  I use it to haul firewood and my self from the house to the shop.  It gets used every day and I could not be without one.

I would consider selling it but only to replace it with another one.  I like the new one with hard doors.  Mine has a hard top and removable fabric/steel doors

View Quote

we had to replace the freeze plugs underneath the alternator on ours, they rusted out

besides filters and fluids that's been it
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a used Gator 825i last year for $7300 with ~700 hrs on it. It was from a ranch and I could tell it had been used, but not necessarily abused. The suspension bushings were dry and squeaky, the brakes were worn, and it was a little dirty. But the engine ran fine and it had severall bells and whistles, inlcuding a power lift dump bed which is freaking nice. I priced a new one with the same equipment and it was almost $16k!!! I've spent about $500 on it for replacement parts and tune up, lubed the chassis and suspension and it runs great. I found it on tractorhouse.com, so that's my suggestion. FWIW, my brother-in-law has a Ranger 800 and it's also a very nice machine. A little more bench room and it's faster, but he paid around $14k for his and it doesn't have a power dump bed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]
There are chinese offerings. Probably better quality than you'd expect, but always a risk with parts and service accessibility.

ETA: Cheap, possibly total crap, chinese UTVs.  If I had the need and money for a fleet of UTVs/ATVs I'd get at least a couple of the cheaper chinese imports just to see.

And... I want a farm big enough to warrant getting a Commando 4x4 mini truck.  That thing looks like fun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#43]
On a budget I second looking for a used Rhino.  Honda has a new one out with a geared transmission that is around 10k.  The sportier 50" wide versions from Polaris and Arctic Cat also start out around 10k new.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Can Am commander that  I love .
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did that for a while and ended getting rid of both CJ5s. Every trip to our fields or range and something would break and end up wasting hours working on that crap. Bought a new Kawasaki Mule and wish I would have done it sooner.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I did that for a while and ended getting rid of both CJ5s. Every trip to our fields or range and something would break and end up wasting hours working on that crap. Bought a new Kawasaki Mule and wish I would have done it sooner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TJ not CJ, they are very reliable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah TJ's are cheap.  The thing about my Atvs and UTV is that they aren't as heavy and dig in is much when I'm in a hay field, pasture or cow lot.  So less damage to the ground.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#48]
These threads are always the same.

1000 people that say how they could buy xxxx car/truck for that much money; 1000 people who haven't ridden 70MPH through the desert in one.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Jap mini truck.

I have an RTV1100 and an 850 Polaris and I still want a Jap mini truck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, if you can find one in good shape, a Suzuki Samurai.

They're lighter and better approximate the SxS's of the world.

Getting hard to find in good shape, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top