Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:23:45 PM EDT
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-public-defender-detained-outside-court-6046088.php

Video in link.

A San Francisco deputy public defender was handcuffed and arrested at the Hall of Justice after she objected to city police officers questioning her client outside a courtroom, an incident that her office called outrageous and police officials defended as appropriate.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I can see the cops point of view. She was not representing the "client" in the matter they were investigating and it was not a custodial interview. Yet it seems like a very stupid thing for the cops to do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can see the cops point of view. She was not representing the "client" in the matter they were investigating and it was not a custodial interview. Yet it seems like a very stupid thing for the cops to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She asked for it... she legitimately asked to be arrested.

Other attorneys with the public defender’s office filmed the interaction, in which the plainclothes officer, Sgt. Brian Stansbury, told Tillotson, “I just want to take some pictures, OK, and he’ll be free to go.” When she declined his request, Stansbury said, “If you continue to do this, I will arrest you for resisting arrest.”

“Please do,” Tillotson responded
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The DA's office is going to tell the cops their shits fucked up and they're retarded. It will be tossed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A lawyer has the right to interfere with questioning. Photography, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That is not exactly true.  The cop is going to get bitch slapped in this instance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm thinking the kid should have walked away. Lawyer did nothing wrong either.  If the Officer wanted information beyond name and address then I would have thought a Miranda warning would apply.  Without a formal detention or arrest, then no picture either if he did not want to comply.

Not saying the defendant was a saint here.  Just not agreeing with the way this was handled.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Arrest me for resisting arrest ????
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
In before
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

My thought too...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  How exactly was she resisting arrest in questioning the officer's "not being detained" questions and photography?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

LOL, WTF is that ???
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Lawyers vs Cops   Oh goodie!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL, WTF is that ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL, WTF is that ???

A monkey flinging poo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Monkey flinging poo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/01pics-L/super-friends-73_L09.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Courthouse isn't the place for that.

In the end, no one will really get into any kind of serious trouble, other than being pissed off, but you're starting to dance with the idea of a "police" state if you don't nip this in the bud right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
State Attorney's Office will drop charges on a minimum and will bitch slap the agency for fucking with one of their own.

This will be a turf war in thd courtrooms.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/486/675/

Read the supreme court case of ARIZONA, Petitioner v. Ronald William ROBERSON. They ruled that because a defendant had a lawyer in an earlier case that he couldn't wave his right to counsel in a different case without counsel. Even though the police didn't know of the earlier case the SC said they should have known. This guy was with his lawyer outside of court and is much more clear cut than that case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Could have and should have been handled a whole lot better than this. The attorney should not have been arrested because the officers should have been a whole lot smarter about what they were trying to do. And the prosecutor should have coordinated something with the Defense attorney to facilitate the photography.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you all read it in that voice too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is not exactly true.  The cop is going to get bitch slapped in this instance.
View Quote

bet money on it.  And to everyone here siding with the police, you are the same wretches who are outraged when it happens to YOU.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the end, no one will really get into any kind of serious trouble, other than being pissed off, but you're starting to dance with the idea of a "police" state if you don't nip this in the bud right now.
View Quote

other than being pissed off?  This is the kind of ignorance that really gets to me...first she has an arrest on her record now.  She has to get this expunged.  Every job she applies for particularly federal jobs with sec clearance, she must disclose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
She did not create joinder.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

That just makes their actions even more idiotic.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

other than being pissed off?  This is the kind of ignorance that really gets to me...first she has an arrest on her record now.  She has to get this expunged.  Every job she applies for particularly federal jobs with sec clearance, she must disclose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, you mean simply being arrested is actually a terrible thing?

I have been reassured that this all gets 'fixed' in court!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh, I wouldn't hire a defense attorney unless they'd been arrested once or twice for their client.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Not Guilty.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure did.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.  Don't fight it on the side of the road, wait until court.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like the cop messed up to me but I'm no expert are there any lawyers on this forum?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Douchebag
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#36]
He wasn't being questioned. He was being arrested.  Its a thin legal line but its there.  If they were just detaining him for arrest then she is in the wrong.  

They probably told her to step off and get out the way and she refused.  

That's what got her obstructing. She could have talked to him at the station.  

The arrest wont hold up because of politics but I see why they did it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He wasn't being questioned. He was being arrested.  Its a thin legal line but its there.  If they were just detaining him for arrest then she is in the wrong.  

View Quote

Read the article. He was not being arrested. He was being questioned and photographed. Like I said, this could have been handled a whole lot better with coordination between the LEO, the Prosecutor, and the PD. Some jurisdictions do a better job of this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have some other knowledge of this case because that is not what the story said.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
She did not create joinder.
View Quote

She should have created joinder  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm thinking the kid should have walked away. Lawyer did nothing wrong either.  If the Officer wanted information beyond name and address then I would have thought a Miranda warning would apply.  Without a formal detention or arrest, then no picture either if he did not want to comply.

Not saying the defendant was a saint here.  Just not agreeing with the way this was handled.
View Quote

If he's not in custody you don't need Miranda.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the jurisdiction. A lot of local rules require Miranda even before custodial interrogation begins.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well you are making me dig deep back to law school, but there is a difference in the rights invoked from Miranda and from those once he indicates he wants a lawyer.  I apologize I cannot terse out the details right now from memory, a better lawyer than me will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

well you are making me dig deep back to law school, but there is a difference in the rights invoked from Miranda and from those once he indicates he wants a lawyer.  I apologize I cannot terse out the details right now from memory, a better lawyer than me will be along shortly.
View Quote
Safe Harbor.  Once the suspect says the "L" word the police cannot continue to question.  However, if the suspect voluntarily re-initiates the conversation then anything he says is admissible.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:If he's not in custody how do you arrest someone for interfering with photographing him?  
View Quote
Oh here we go, another cop-bashing thread.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If he's not in custody how do you arrest someone for interfering with photographing him?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's not in custody how do you arrest someone for interfering with photographing him?  

In Florida it would be Resisting an Officer Without Violence. That is to say the suspect was arrested for interfering with an officer while he was executing a lawful duty. Here, if the officer was lawfully taking photographs, the PD could be arrested for interfering with such (if CA law is comparable to FL law).

That said, I still think this was a stupid arrest even if legally sustainable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By obstructing the investigation. They were probably doing a consensual encounter and she decided to butt in.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
State Attorney's Office will drop charges on a minimum and will bitch slap the agency for fucking with one of their own.

This will be a turf war in thd courtrooms.
View Quote

For a public defender? I could see it if she worked at some fancy firm the prosecutor wanted to be a partner at in the future.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

By obstructing the investigation. They were probably doing a consensual encounter and she decided to butt in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which would not get filed in a million years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top