Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 2:04:23 PM EDT
Is PR worthy of consideration for my next trip?  Looking for a tropical getaway that won't break the bank.

Who says go, who says no?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Close, convenient, fun.

Eta: cost of living is similar to traveling within CONUS. US dollar is the currency. Airplane fares are more or less reasonable from the East coast. Crime targeting tourists is rare and mostly petty theft.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Fly to San Juan.  Be sure to book a rental with Charlie Car over the internet in advance.  You can get a great car for about 113/week that way.  Then, drive it straight to Fajardo and board the Ferry.  You will need to leave the rental at Fajardo.  When you get to Culebra about an hour later, rent a jeep.  Drive around Culebra and see some of the most beautiful beaches ever.  Tamarindo Beach is protected, so when you snorkel there, you will see turtles, Lobster, and all sorts of other fish and creatures.  You will even see a tank at Flamenco beach, voted the #2 beach in the world.  Drive all around, eat some food, maybe even spend the night in Culebra.  There are many homes for rent there.  After, take the ferry back to Fajardo, and drive up to El Yunque, the rainforest on PR.  It is absolutely beautiful.  Once there, hike to the waterfall seen here:  http://youtu.be/eD8fdCL9j3k

When you are done, you can drive wherever you please.  The south coast, which I have not visited, is supposed to be a great place to spearfish.  Roberto Reyes takes you offshore to spear wahoo, dophin, and even marlin.  I had a great time there a few years ago and plan to go back soon.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fly to San Juan.  Be sure to book a rental with Charlie Car over the internet in advance.  You can get a great car for about 113/week that way.  Then, drive it straight to Fajardo and board the Ferry.  You will need to leave the rental at Fajardo.  When you get to Culebra about an hour later, rent a jeep.  Drive around Culebra and see some of the most beautiful beaches ever.  Tamarindo Beach is protected, so when you snorkel there, you will see turtles, Lobster, and all sorts of other fish and creatures.  You will even see a tank at Flamenco beach, voted the #2 beach in the world.  Drive all around, eat some food, maybe even spend the night in Culebra.  There are many homes for rent there.  After, take the ferry back to Fajardo, and drive up to El Yunque, the rainforest on PR.  It is absolutely beautiful.  Once there, hike to the waterfall seen here:  http://youtu.be/eD8fdCL9j3k

When you are done, you can drive wherever you please.  The south coast, which I have not visited, is supposed to be a great place to spearfish.  Roberto Reyes takes you offshore to spear wahoo, dophin, and even marlin.  I had a great time there a few years ago and plan to go back soon.

View Quote

I wish I would have had this advice when I went.  Wife and I spend most the time in Old San Juan.  Pretty cool place and architecture reminds me somewhat of the French Quarter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the info, anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
my brother went this past summer.  I said why the fuck go down there when you can spend the money in FL or AZ or whereever.  He said it was OK.  Only complaint was the workers weren't that friendly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I was born there and spent time between there and Chicago growing up. PR is getting really expensive now. It's still a good place to visit but nearly getting as expensive as Hawaii.

I usually go to Culebra Island as well. But I took a flight as the ghetto .Gov run ferrys suck. Did that once, never again. To buy tickets  you have to be in line at least by 5am.

Rent a car, it will be cheaper if your insurance will cover you when you are outside the country. Travel the coast and to the central mountains area. I like hitting up a place called Las Longanizas in a town called Orocovis. They have awesome spanish style smoked sausage with the typical PR fixings. Go hungry.

You can also visit the Guabate which is a town that is famous for roast pigs. Hit up the Bio-luminecent bay in Ponce. Kayaking and depending on the waves maybe get in some surfing in Isabela, Aguadilla or Rincon.

Hit up Fort El Morro, and walk around San Juan at night but stay close to the groups of folks. There is plenty of shopping and eating places. try out Pollo tropical. Its a chicken joint I always hit up.

If you have any questions hit me up.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the info, anyone else?
View Quote

I got tons of info, what would you like to know?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have to say no, because I felt it was "americanized"  to such a degree that, a lot of times I felt like I was in areas of NYC rather than the Carribean.
Also I would say no to the rain forest, unless with a small group with a good guide, because all you will see is green forest, which then becomes like any other green forest.  
We stayed on either Culebra or Vieques, can't remember which (1996), which although tropical, was rustic.
Although I ran out of time on that trip, I would recommend trying exploring the interior mountain towns for weekend nightlife, for a "authentic" cutural experience.

PS: Also did not care for Jamaica or St Thomas(USVI)
St Croix (USVI was ok for 3 days or so, then take seaplane (awesome) and ferry to St John (paradise)
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]

If you're an outdoors type, do it.  Even right on the island there are places where you can do some good diving and snorkeling a stone's throw from shore.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of things do you like to do?

Snorkeling/SCUBA diving: Try the west coast.  Specifically, the town of Rincon.  For some spectacular diving, charter a boat to the nearby island of Desecheo.
Historical sight seeing:  Old San Juan is hard to beat, with the forts an old Spanish architecture.
Nature: As mentioned, there is the tropical rainforest (El Yunque).  The cave system at Camuy is quite a treat, as well.
Surfing: Also at Rincon.  This is highly dependent of the time of the year, since the waves can be quite good, or flat as a 12 yr old.

Also, there is the radio telescope at Arecibo, with the 1000 foot dish (as 333 yds in diameter).
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Culebra is awesome.  Kayaking Puerto Rico offers some cool tours there.  Old San Juan is neat too - check out Fort San Cristobal if you go.  I also did an ATV tour of some tropical forest area, but I have no idea what organization I went through, but it was a blast.  I plan to go back soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
F Puerto Rico.

Go to Costa Rica.

Cheaper, more beautiful, way more cool stuff to do.

Went there for 3 weeks in 2012.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to Costa Rica instead. Thank me later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Stay away from the caserios.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
F Puerto Rico.

Go to Costa Rica.

Cheaper, more beautiful, way more cool stuff to do.

http://www.lookupmagazine.com/userfiles/Costa%20Rica.jpg

Went there for 3 weeks in 2012.

View Quote

Thinking about taking the family there when my oldest son graduates high school next year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good info here except for Charlie Car. We have a house on the western coast and go to the island about 4 or 5 times a year, maybe more. Of friends and family that use the house, we average between 36-48 visits each year. Charlie Car is tempting due to the lower rates, but they have fucked each of us at least once - for a couple $100 each time. We now fly in to San Juan and take Cape Air to Mayaguez where we rent a car direct from Enterprise in the airport terminal.

Ponce is the 2nd largest city on the island but was boring every time we've gone. Most American expats live in Rincon on the west coast and that area is pretty friendly to tourists and is beautiful to see.

The satellite dish in Arecibo is interesting as are the caves in Camuy (I believe).

Be sure to eat at any kioskos you find - there will be a roadside stop with about 20-30 mom and pop restaurants crammed in a long narrow strip center with open bays. Some of the best food I've eaten has been in Puerto Rico.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go to Costa Rica instead. Thank me later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I have been looking, but the reviews for snorkeling and scuba aren't very good.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Cueva Ventana is pretty cool.  It's an easy cave to explore; there's a little bit of climbing, but no tight areas..it's big inside.

Cueva Ventana Location

I lived on the west side of the island for a few years and enjoyed that area a lot.  During the week, there's hardly anyone at the beaches.  There's a ton of cool bars to hang out at in Rincon.

This is Bahia Sucia (dirty bay) which is a short hike beyond the "Los Morrillos" lighthouse in Cabo Rojo.

" />

This is from the top of El Yunque, the rainforest on the east side.  If you like to hike, this is a must do.

" />

You'll find beaches like this all over the island.

" />
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I lived on the west side of the island for a few years and enjoyed that area a lot.  
View Quote

?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]

I've been there six times in the last 5 years.  

Fun to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I know of a place in the hills just outside of San Juan that only sells rabbit empanadas.   Most awesome empanadas you will ever have.  That Medala sucks though.

Best Rican restaurant in San Juan

Good German restaurant in the hills.

My favorite hotel in PR.  Never stayed there (always with my Brother in Law), but I loved to just hang in the lobby or at the pool.

View from BILs townhome.

Hope you don't need a wheelchair, the sidewalks aren't handicap friendly.

Hope you like pig.

There are some bad areas.

Ok, a LOT of bad areas.

Unfortunately this place closed.  Awesome Spanish food.

I discovered Passoa in PR.  Awesome stuff.

Anyway, PR is almost like my 2nd home.

But just to visit.  Not live.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell yes, stay in San Juan, isla verde at the ritz carlton. Eat at Buddha Thai, go to old san juan, zip lining and vieques.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lived on the west side of the island for a few years and enjoyed that area a lot.  

http://www.rameyafb.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1946pic.jpg ?

Grew up there......
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, found out I'm PCSing down to PR this year, so thanks for all the info everyone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good advise, What ever you do, stay out of La Perla, bad drug ghetto. If you can, go to Quattro, up by Caguas, It's a club in an A- frame on the hillside above San Juan, great music, good people, and a view of San Juan from above

I wish I would have had this advice when I went.  Wife and I spend most the time in Old San Juan.  Pretty cool place and architecture reminds me somewhat of the French Quarter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advise, What ever you do, stay out of La Perla, bad drug ghetto. If you can, go to Quattro, up by Caguas, It's a club in an A- frame on the hillside above San Juan, great music, good people, and a view of San Juan from above

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Perla, LOL.   You have to TRY to go there.  You won't just take a wrong turn.

You do need to walk by the cemetery and then the street overlooking La Perla and check it out though.  See how the 1% lives.  The bottom 1%.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The island of Vieques is just as pretty as culebra, not nearly as touristy nor over built. Picturesque beaches with NOBODY there. And you can also get there via he ferry in Rincon  though I recommend taking a puddle jumper. The cab ride from San Juan is shit and expensive and the ferry schedule SUCKS to the point that you essentially lose a day on the arrival and departure leg of your trip.
Get there, rent a trail rated jeep, go run the trails and check out red, blue and green beaches and hit the biobay as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]
wife and I spent 11 days in PR this passed summer.  We loved it.  We stayed about 45 min outside of San Juan. We hung out in the city and enjoyed the nightlife, bars, and architecture. We also went into the jungle, to various beaches etc.

We had a blast, and have talked about going back.  If I did it again, I would probably send a few nights in SJ and then a few nights outside of the city.  Let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck PR.  

The FL keys are way better, cleaner and way way fucking safer.

I'm sorry, but most of PR is dangerous from a mainlander perspective.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fuck PR.  

The FL keys are way better, cleaner and way way fucking safer.

I'm sorry, but most of PR is dangerous from a mainlander perspective.
View Quote

Only if you are stupid and go where you shouldn't.  I've been all over the island several times in the last few years.  Not a single problem.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The island of Vieques is just as pretty as culebra, not nearly as touristy nor over built. Picturesque beaches with NOBODY there. And you can also get there via he ferry in Rincon  though I recommend taking a puddle jumper. The cab ride from San Juan is shit and expensive and the ferry schedule SUCKS to the point that you essentially lose a day on the arrival and departure leg of your trip. Get there, rent a trail rated jeep, go run the trails and check out red, blue and green beaches and hit the biobay as well.
View Quote

The ferry is in Fajardo, not Rincon.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the info, and Thanks to OP for the timely thread!  I'm going with family for 6 days in March, during spring break

Booked at the Ritz Carlton in hopes of cutting down on the spring breaker types.  I have a couple co-workers that are from PR and they tell me during spring break the college types have sex right on the beach (not the drink) but "it's usually later in the day".  Since I'm taking my 13 year old daughter I'm hoping to avoid those types.  They also recommended Charlie Car rental.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Grew up there......
View All Quotes

You probably wouldn't want to see it, if you haven't already.  We had a lot of retirees come stay in MWR housing and talk about how heartbreaking it was to see what used to be a whole city of manicured lawns and fresh paint.    

Quoted:
Well, found out I'm PCSing down to PR this year, so thanks for all the info everyone.

If BQN, the diving is excellent if you know where to go.  If BSJ, good luck with that.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You probably wouldn't want to see it, if you haven't already.  We had a lot of retirees come stay in MWR housing and talk about how heartbreaking it was to see what used to be a whole city of manicured lawns and fresh paint.    

If BQN, the diving is excellent if you know where to go.  If BSJ, good luck with that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BQN, June-July timeframe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top