Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Also op, when you get to a real issue, YouTube it.

Someone somewhere has solved it already.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My old boss showed me 3 workbooks his last day of work. I now have his job and spend a good amount of time in those workbooks. Google was my friend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
super TAG
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All valid points. My comment was in reference to folks like the previous poster that have essentially created lightweight business applications in spreadsheet form.

Make that little bit of extra effort up front and build the front end in Access and you have something that should ultimately be easier to work with and scalable beyond the computer on which it was created.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this until I started working with an great Access guy.  Now, I'm pretty adept at both.

Which one gets used depends on 2 factors.  First, the amount of data involved.  Second, whether I'm ever going to do it again.  

The time investment in Access is just too high for a one time thing.

All valid points. My comment was in reference to folks like the previous poster that have essentially created lightweight business applications in spreadsheet form.

Make that little bit of extra effort up front and build the front end in Access and you have something that should ultimately be easier to work with and scalable beyond the computer on which it was created.

With a little care in the table/data structure, an Access DB can migrate easily to SQL if the need grows, as well.  Access is pretty damn powerful, for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Learn how to use the question mark button.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Learn how to use the question mark button.
View Quote

Don't use the question mark button.  It has sucked ass for the last several years.  Just Google your problem instead.  You'll get much better results.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

whutevar

Some people not liking/doing/using pivot tables will not be the end of civilization, so don't go about getting your panties all up in a twist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"pivot tables" were mentioned.

had one project where the lead thought these were a great idea

I've told the higher ups I'd sooner quit than do those again.

I still believe this. I will never do that again!

Dumming down of america

whutevar

Some people not liking/doing/using pivot tables will not be the end of civilization, so don't go about getting your panties all up in a twist.

No hate, stupid people allow me to charge ridiculous amounts of money to fix companies.

ZOMG!! Pivot tables! So hard.......
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Our quality engineer at work came down and was wanting us to put tolerance data in a spreadsheet and asked me why we don't have excell on our floor computers. I told him we're not smart enough to use it . He then looked at me like.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
How do I upgrade from Lotus 1-2-3?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do I upgrade from Lotus 1-2-3?
View Quote

You can't. You can only downgrade to Excel, and Excel clones. Sorry, but anyone who has a Heavy Metal image as an avatar should know that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No hate, stupid people allow me to charge ridiculous amounts of money to fix companies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"pivot tables" were mentioned.

had one project where the lead thought these were a great idea

I've told the higher ups I'd sooner quit than do those again.

I still believe this. I will never do that again!

Dumming down of america

whutevar

well, considering the only ones we ever dealt with were created by this one guy and none of us had a good experience,
I'm willing to bet it had a lot to do with what he created.
No big deal, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.. you can have my share
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would second mrexcel.com.  Also, reverse engineering someone else's work.

With about 10 formulas and pivot tables you can do 99% of what you need to do.

Vlookup

Concatenate

Subtotal

Left, Right, Mid

Len

Month, Day, Year

Index, Match

Find

Trim

Sumif

Count, Countif

If, and, or

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.mrexcel.com/

I did our entire production scheduling system from costing, outsourced parts ordering, individual machine scheduling, purchasing, cut lists, etc. using Excel and VBA. Not the greatest tool for the job, but it turned about 4 1/2 days worth of work into literally the click of a button. The forums on mrexcel.com were priceless.

I would second mrexcel.com.  Also, reverse engineering someone else's work.

With about 10 formulas and pivot tables you can do 99% of what you need to do.

Vlookup

Concatenate

Subtotal

Left, Right, Mid

Len

Month, Day, Year

Index, Match

Find

Trim

Sumif

Count, Countif

If, and, or

and exact

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I learned a lot of what I know about Excel by looking at sheets that I find useful and "reverse engineer" them.

You will learn how the sheet was designed and built, you will learn formulas and all kinds of cool stuff.
View Quote
That's how I did it. I made my own accounting software from scratch with Access and Excel.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Learn C++,by far more powerful.
View Quote

Oh yeah, that's a totally reasonable alternative.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My old boss showed me 3 workbooks his last day of work. I now have his job and spend a good amount of time in those workbooks. Google was my friend.
View Quote

Anytime I take over someone's job (and I do that a lot more frequently than I'd like) I generally set as my first task the purging of their tools and crutches, Excel workbooks are priority ONE.

If you're using Excel as a standalone application, you're doing it wrong. Oh, you can do it, but it'll never be "correct" and it will always be vastly more fragile and more difficult work.

Excel is the "answer" that virtually everyone with a passing familiarity with computers migrates to. It's almost *always* the wrong answer.

There are COTS packages that do what you want Excel to do and do it properly, with scalability. You can hire a dev to write you an application to do *precisely* what you want to do, probably a LOT cheaper than you think.

Please, stop bending a spreadsheet program into a hybrid/bastard database, calendar, inventory, accounting, reporting, invoicing, tax and HR tool.

That's not what Excel is for. Oh, it *can* do all that shit but, it *shouldn't* be doing any of it.

I say this as a guy who has, long ago, mastered the program.

For the OP, the best way to learn how to use an application as wide and deep as Excel is to start having problems and work toward solving them with the application. You're never going to get far trying to do it by rote memorization of the, literally, millions of ways of doing "stuff."
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is a lot of stuff that gets done in Excel that would be more at home in Access.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There is a lot of stuff that gets done in Excel that would be more at home in Access.

Or Project.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Far too many people don't get this.

Excel is a data analysis tool. Use it to access a database, do not create the fucking database in excel.

My latest use for Excel was to create a spreadsheet to analyze the cost per round to purchase XM193 from various vendors. The output was cost per round for each increment of ordering (20 or 90 rounds per box) and included shipping cost per round. I could see the increments where I could buy more boxes without an increase in shipping cost so free shipping on those boxes was essentially free. More boxes with free shipping. Nice!

Using a jackhammer to crack walnuts, sure. But it was fun, gave me practice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top