Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 8:34:37 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has used one of them. I was thinking of picking up a Bluetooth enabled OBDII plug and downloading a corresponding app instead of just buying a generic scan tool. Id just need the basics of read/clear codes and maybe a few live data streams
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Torque
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Torque and whichever one of these looks best for you:

I have one of these from when they went on sale for $4.

It works fine, but if I get another one, I will get one with a lower profile. I have the bluetooth version too. Both work equally well.

The location of the OBDII port on my cars is generally near my left knee, and my daily driver is a manual, which means I will bump it frequently if I leave it plugged in.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
cheapo reader  from amazon and torque app works fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Apple is wifi and dash command app
Android is Bluetooth and torque app

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Torque is what I use.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
the ones I've tried were toys at best (Torque/ Strategic tool) except for VCDS mobile, which is pretty much tits and one of my favorite tools ever but not cheap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Does the OS make a huge difference with the app?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the ones I've tried were toys at best (Torque/ Strategic tool) except for VCDS mobile, which is pretty much tits and one of my favorite tools ever but not cheap.
View Quote

VCDS mobile? More info please
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Torque plus whatever the most you want to spend on the OBD2 dongle is. I run the pro version of Torque and a shitty ELM327 dongle. If you are going to use this for more than just code checking/clearing or real time use of more than one gauge i'd get one of the more expensive connections as the cheap ones can be hit-or-miss on certain cars and update frequencies. They work for to check/clear codes and look at a sensor or two depending on it's refresh rate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda

Apple has Bluetooth locked down; torque won't pay licensing fee, so no torque on apple. Torque better, FYI
Best solution on apple is dash command, IMHO, and it supports wifi
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Torque, and a Kiwi2BT device....

awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have to have the ross tech hex-net cable and be on a wifi network.

I'm not impressed with it..
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Torque
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Torque is what I use.
View Quote

Here's an old screenshot

</a>" />

With an obdlink mx Bluetooth adapter
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Torque pro
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WiFi based, independent of Os using web based interface. Uses vcds (used to be vag-com) in windows PCs, can be used as a cloud function and connect threw your wireless, or you can connect directly to it like a hot spot.

Standard obd function is OK, its vag based functions are top notch I have a vas-pc OEM tool ( that cost 10x more)and I really don't use it since I got my vcds mobile.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/faq_7.html

I will probably add a second one soon..
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
So im going to try the torque app out, does anyone have a connector they'd reccomend?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Tell me more. I have an iPhone 5S and an Audi and am considering this. I assume there are many apps that are compatible with it? Any particularly great choices? I have a scanner, but it's the sort you only use to read/clear codes when you're not driving. It would be pretty cool to have live data.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So im going to try the torque app out, does anyone have a connector they'd reccomend?
View Quote

Pretty much any ELM327 module will work.  I'd go for any of the smaller, stubby ones, and don't spend over $20.

I've had Torque for over a year now, it works great.  Depending on the module, you may have to re-pair the Bluetooth every time you switch vehicles.  If you only use it in one car it will pick it right up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tell me more. I have an iPhone 5S and an Audi and am considering this. I assume there are many apps that are compatible with it? Any particularly great choices? I have a scanner, but it's the sort you only use to read/clear codes when you're not driving. It would be pretty cool to have live data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't have experience with the iPhone apps myself, I use Torque on Android. The cool thing about the phone is that certain apps will also use GPS and accelerometer data too.

I know some people use DashCommand for iOS. I'd check and see if your specific car has a profile or whatever they call it before getting too invested in it.

Then I'd search and see what adapters people have used with DashCommand. Most of the common ones will certainly be available.

IME, wifi is going to be faster, which makes sense, as it has a higher transfer rate than Bluetooth. Plus you can still sync your phone to a bluetooth headset or speakerphone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't have experience with the iPhone apps myself, I use Torque on Android. The cool thing about the phone is that certain apps will also use GPS and accelerometer data too.    

I know some people use DashCommand for iOS. I'd check and see if your specific car has a profile or whatever they call it before getting too invested in it.

Then I'd search and see what adapters people have used with DashCommand. Most of the common ones will certainly be available.

IME, wifi is going to be faster, which makes sense, as it has a higher transfer rate than Bluetooth. Plus you can still sync your phone to a bluetooth headset or speakerphone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That and a bit of Google-fu set me down the path I needed. It looks like as long as you have an ELM327 with Wifi (Wifi required for iOS because iOS doesn't support alternate BT protocols) it seems like it will work. DashCommand seems to be the go-to on iOS, but there are others as well.

Audizine post indicating it should work
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I downloaded dash command and torque, and ordered a connector off of Amazon, all said and done I'll be about $35 into it
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I downloaded dash command and torque, and ordered a connector off of Amazon, all said and done I'll be about $35 into it
View Quote

Yeah, at that price, I figured I won't be out much even if it doesn't work well. DashCommand looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine came in the mail yesterday and I had a chance to try it out today. Pretty sweet. I still have to figure out how to configure the dashboard so I can see boost level and I don't trust leaving it plugged in all the time, but it's pretty cool and all in less than $30 ($18 for the dongle + $10 for the app).
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mine came in the mail yesterday and I had a chance to try it out today. Pretty sweet. I still have to figure out how to configure the dashboard so I can see boost level and I don't trust leaving it plugged in all the time, but it's pretty cool and all in less than $30 ($18 for the dongle + $10 for the app).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine works great on everything except my DD

I did manage to get it to hook up on my Jetta once and I was extremely pleased, I have sent a tech lot of my issues to the developer. Besides that I did hook it up to several other vehicles during the weekend and am pretty impressed with it. I'm going to see if I can buy a higher quality wifi link with my tool allowance

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top