Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
My electric bill was triple what it was last month, I verified meter with bill it is correct. I did not use anymore than I normally do, no new TVs or electronics. What would cause usage to triple unknowingly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly, estimated readings the previous few months. they finally got an actual reading this past time.

Or, maybe you have some sort of short somewhere. You could turn off/unplug every possible thing in the house (not from the breaker, but the actual devices), and then check the meter for activity.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
estimated readings the previous few months. they finally got an actual reading this past time.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

estimated readings the previous few months. they finally got an actual reading this past time.

This.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Or the OP is growing pot needles or something.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
grow lamps use a lot of power..
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Check for a short.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry i was plugging in my Tesla at night
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Back up electric water heater.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Electric water heater running.

1000 KWH is a LOT of juice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Check your water heater. If the t-stat sticks closed it will continuously heat and can cost hundreds extra in a month's time. Many times you'll notice water at the tap is hotter than normal.

Also buried under ground wires to a well or shed will sometimes fail without tripping a breaker and make the meter spin extra.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Your wife left her flat iron on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Prepare for a no-knock and an anal probe from the DEA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Also, was there a cold snap to run HVAC blower motor?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Possibly, estimated readings the previous few months. they finally got an actual reading this past time.
View Quote

This or a faulty meter.  

Call the electric company.  If they didn't estimate your usage, ask them to come out and check your meter's calibration.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Heat pump back up heater?

Sump pump running?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Was it colder than normal? If so you might have been on electric strip-heat in your HVAC system. When I first bought my house it had A/C with electric strip heat only. My bills went from like $80 in the summer to $400 in the winter. I got a heatpump and now they stay pretty consistent year round.

Either that you have a neighbor that tapped into your power.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
you just paid a portion of someones bill who didnt pay or cant pay do to death.
They adjusted your meter to cover their ass.

This happens alot!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you get you water from a well?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Electric heat?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I did find a problem. A tripped gfci.   In a guest bathroom that I never use (single guy 4br house) the sink has it's own instant hot water heater. It is fried I guess because every time I reset the gfci and plug it in the whole circuit trips. Could this really cause me to use 1000kw?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Gas heater by the way so I don't think that was it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
IBTVI

Oops, too late!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
LED growlights are more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well I did find a problem. A tripped gfci.   In a guest bathroom that I never use (single guy 4br house) the sink has it's own instant hot water heater. It is fried I guess because every time I reset the gfci and plug it in the whole circuit trips. Could this really cause me to use 1000kw?
View Quote

If it somehow managed to stay on long enough,before it burned up, maybe.  Prolly not though
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Check your water heater. If the t-stat sticks closed it will continuously heat and can cost hundreds extra in a month's time. Many times you'll notice water at the tap is hotter than normal.

Also buried under ground wires to a well or shed will sometimes fail without tripping a breaker and make the meter spin extra.

View Quote
Happened to me this summer.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No

Energy has to go somewhere

If the gfci was "consuming" the energy, it would be shitting out a ton of heat, and your house would have burned down
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a small shop out back with electric baseboard heat ( that I keep turned off.)  Unknown to me my son turned it on one summer - of course being summer it didn't use much juice.  November rolled around and our electric bill went through the roof.    I only found it by turning off breakers until I hit one that stopped the meter.   Then I figured out it was the baseboard heat, now I leave those breakers tripped so there is no chance of the things coming on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
here were lucky enough to have those meters that are wireless so we can get charged more at premium times
im sure those are always correct and accurate

but at least probably wont get that super large bill once in a while as you would assume if the meter talks to a wireless signal it should always be correct now
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagged for outcome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My electric bill was triple what it was last month, I verified meter with bill it is correct. I did not use anymore than I normally do, no new TVs or electronics. What would cause usage to triple unknowingly?
View Quote

Bad meter..
Happened to me too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
In my AO, if you don't include the meter reading each time you submit the bill you're charged $5 for the privilege of having the power company guesstimate a usage, and bill you whatever great number they come up with.

Case in point, my last months bill was $185 which is about $100 more than it usually is.  Due to a cold snap I figured the milk heater I had in the well shack ran it up.

My new bill came in this month with a -$95 credit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or an electric furnace? Get a amp probe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Christmas lights?

??
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Christmas lights?

??
View Quote

No Christmas lights
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Call electric utility. Dispute like a whiny bitch.

They will send out a meter  technician, who  can    verify meter calibration.

They ( meters )  do occasionally  fail.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#37]
What kind of meter do you have smart(digital display) or mechanical (spinning disk)?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What kind of meter do you have smart(digital display) or mechanical (spinning disk)?
View Quote

Mechanical
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Check for a short.
View Quote

Since that short would have to be consuming about 1400 watts, it's safe to say that if his house hasn't burned down and nothing inside is glowing red, that's not it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#40]
What kind of heat/furnace do you have. My son has a heat pump and the compressor burned out. He was heating his house with the backup strips without knowing until he got the 5X higher than normal electric bill.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What kind of heat/furnace do you have. My son has a heat pump and the compressor burned out. He was heating his house with the backup strips without knowing until he got the 5X higher than normal electric bill.
View Quote

Propane burning furnace , relatively new.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw a show on TV where a woman's lover would come over after the husband left for work and would plug in his smart car to charge the battery while them two went at it.  That prob isn't what is happening.

Try this

http://www.txu.com/residential/customer-care/billhelp/other-causes.aspx

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#43]
If you sprung a leak in the line from your well to your house, you could be paying to pump ground water from one level to another.

I'd take a real close look at the meter while turning breakers on one by one....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#44]
If you have a high amperage continuous load on 1 branch circuit that breaker will likely be warmer than any others in the panel. Run your finger down the exposed portion of the breakers in your panel and see if any are noticeably warmer to the touch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That knocks out my guess, I was gonna say something was wrong with your outside unit and you were heating the house with the heat strips (emergency or auxiliary heat normally on the t-stat). Happened to me about 10 years ago, defrost board went out on the outside unit and it froze up so the heat strips would kick in and run until the main unit defrosted (sometime the next day normally) then it would repeat the next night, electric bill went from under $200 to over $400, I fixed that quick!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barring some phantom load like the well leak someone mentioned, I'd go with meter estimations caught up to you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since my house consumes about 1000KWH total per month, and EXTRA 1000 KWH in a month seems like an awful lot to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#48]
are you growing dope?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's ~1388 Watts per hour for a month continuously.

What's the rating on your under sink water heater?
I see some online in the 1350W realm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Check your property for extension cords.

Someone is pirating your electrons for a massive grow operation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top