Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
I just read this on a cellular website and checked it out on Amazon.com.  This is a current tech 32 Gb, 4.7" screen, with a 13 Mp camera.  I bought one a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $189 with the same year of Prime included.  I've played with it a little, and it's a decent phone, however I'm not an Android guy, (iPhones for past 5 years) so it's a spare/backup for travel.  Solidly built, kinda reminds me of the iPhone 5/5s feel.  Here's a link:

Amazon One Day Fire Phone Sale

If you have or want Prime, and could use a nice Android phone this might work for a decent price.

Edited to add:

Forgot to mention, the phone comes unlocked, so it should work on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon with a VZ activated sim card.  Also will work with foreign sims from GSM networks around the world.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
not compatible with verizon  they really are stuck pimping out to at&t, no wonder they can't give the damn thing away
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm... might have to FO on that one.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking about it too. I don't like the idea of only being stuck with amazon apps without having to install a bunch of extra shit to get google apps to work. I already have a kindle fire HD which I use a lot.

I just got off the phone w/ the amazon people, they said if you are currently a prime member, you can cancel your current prime membership, get a prorated refund, then start your one year membership today.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
They fucked up when they made it exclusive to AT&T
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not.  It's unlocked and will work with AT&T, T-Mobile and an activated Verizon sim.  Also works internationally where GSM sim cards are used, which is most of the world.   I've tried my T-Mobile and AT&T sims in mine and they both work fine.  I have heard from reliable cellular websites that Verizon active sims work also.  The only difference is, VZ will not ACTIVATE a sim in this phone.  Once the sim is activated on an account in an approved device, you can switch the sim to any unlocked phone with the proper bands.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
And now it's gone.  Price is back up to $499, inc. a year of Prime.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's not.  It's unlocked and will work with AT&T, T-Mobile and an activated Verizon sim.  Also works internationally where GSM sim cards are used, which is most of the world.   I've tried my T-Mobile and AT&T sims in mine and they both work fine.  I have heard from reliable cellular websites that Verizon active sims work also.  The only difference is, VZ will not ACTIVATE a sim in this phone.  Once the sim is activated on an account in an approved device, you can switch the sim to any unlocked phone with the proper bands.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just going by what's on their page:

• U.S. compatibility: All GSM networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, and . Not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
damn...wish i would have seen this yesterday

bump for the hillbillies
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

• U.S. compatibility: All GSM networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, and . Not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand it's confusing, however, the sim card in a Verizon phone utilizes the GSM side of the device.  Since this is phone is unlocked, it will access their network with that technology.  However, VZ will not ACTIVATE a phone using GSM unless it is one they have on their list.  Meaning it was sold by them or for their network by Apple.  Once you have a VZ active sim, you can swap it  into any compatible GSM phone, providing the phone has the correct freq. bands present.

I think VZ went to the GSM & sim system due to the fact that CDMA could not simultaneously use voice and data, however GSM does.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I understand it's confusing, however, the sim card in a Verizon phone utilizes the GSM side of the device.  Since this is phone is unlocked, it will access their network with that technology.  However, VZ will not ACTIVATE a phone using GSM unless it is one they have on their list.  Meaning it was sold by them or for their network by Apple.  Once you have a VZ active sim, you can swap it  into any compatible GSM phone, providing the phone has the correct freq. bands present.

I think VZ went to the GSM & sim system due to the fact that CDMA could not simultaneously use voice and data, however GSM does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh, well how bout that.  ah well, for $200 I would have had a backup.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine today. First thing that caught me off guard was the Sim cards it uses are NANO sim cards. My last phone from June 2013 used MICRO. Five minutes at the Tmobile store cured that.

The next thing I'm working on is finding a way to selectively transfer contacts from my old android to the Fire. My last sim card was full of 14 years worth of "Just transfer the numbers please", plus a bunch of Army names I'll never see again, so I didn't want the store to transfer it.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I got mine today. First thing that caught me off guard was the Sim cards it uses are NANO sim cards. My last phone from June 2013 used MICRO. Five minutes at the Tmobile store cured that.

The next thing I'm working on is finding a way to selectively transfer contacts from my old android to the Fire. My last sim card was full of 14 years worth of "Just transfer the numbers please", plus a bunch of Army names I'll never see again, so I didn't want the store to transfer it.

Any suggestions?
View Quote
wait, so does that debunk the above advice?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions?

No because they could have transferred the MICRO sim info to the NANO sim, but I had so much horseshit that I didn't want them to convert it. Currently the Amazon contact helper app only works for AT&T customers, not T-mobile. I could obviously do a vcard list, I was just trying to find a slicker way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top