Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 1:51:28 AM EDT
We've been in our new home for 14 months now, we bought brand new from builder. At around month 8 we caught a hot water leak with 5" of standing water in crawlspace and the hardwood flooring was seperating bowing, ect. The leak was spraying directly up onto the subfloor and by the time we caught it, the at least half the first floor subfloor had an excess moisure reading. Original builder's plumber took blame and all liability is going through thier insurance.
After two weeks in hotel, downstairs torn up for a few more weeks, countless meetings with sub contractors, and restoration company, the subfloor was replaced and had new hardwood installed.(after several times requesting items to be redone such as a hump down the middle of the house where the leak was about 1. 5" high).

Now, the hardwood is showing signs of seperation, not quite a dime size width yet, the trim was poorly repainted, but most importantly, there is mold visible in the crawlspace. The mold is found everywhere in the crawlspace, not from direct contact from the leak, but the air was extremly hot and humid, water was everywhere from condensation. The past few months i've repeatedly contact builder with pictures, and request they treat the mold, fix issues with hardwood, fix the cosmetic issues and that another restoration company be used.

Finally, another company started work today by pulling out all insulation to be treated for mold the next couple days. However, I discovered quite a bit more mold tonight after the insulation was removed.

I have very strong concerns over any financial hit I might have taken in this process. Is there a record of major reconstruction I'd have to disclose when we sell? How about disclosing mold history? Do I have any leg to stand on for requesting monetary damages for  deminishing value, hardship or health concerns(6mo old in the house)? I just don't want to get stung down the road whwn I should have done something right now.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that the only option at this point is to burn the house down..
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Get out your checkbook and hire a lawyer.  Do it now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why I will build my house out of steel. Like one of those steel home kits. Fuck wood.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Work up to this point under warranty?

If so let the new company try to resolve the issues other haven't.

As far as disclosing the mold history...I'd do what's right and not try to pass on your problem to another unsuspecting person.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Notify your insurance company asap.

They'll pay for remediation but you are going to be out of the house for months. Months.

Insist on a comparable place to stay. Don't let then try and stick you in a whorehouse, aka "extended stay suites".

My sister  went through this exact situtation. They were out of their house for 8 months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Work up to this point under warranty?

If so let the new company try to resolve the issues other haven't.

As far as disclosing the mold history...I'd do what's right and not try to pass on your problem to another unsuspecting person.
View Quote

Especially now that it is documented on the World Wide Web that there is a known mold issue.

They need to get a couple commercial grade de-humidifiers in the crawlspace and high power fans for circulation and to pull out the moisture and dry the wood back out. You will keep getting the mold until the humidity is under 10% or so. also pick up.  Moisture meter and probe some of the joists/ subfloor and document it will help should this get ugly with the builder
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, everything done and currently being worked on is under warranty.
What mold treatment takes 8 months to complete? The way I understand it, they are spraying to kill everything tomorrow, it dries for 24 hours, and theyll go in an spray a sealent "paint" as a preventative measure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
damn, that suck... hope all comes out well for you....

I was in the process of buying a house, the pre-purchase inspection found that a joint in the funace exhaust pipe up  in the attic had come un-done....
there was mold everywhere...

<eject> that was a close one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What mold treatment takes 8 months to complete? The way I understand it, they are spraying to kill everything tomorrow, it dries for 24 hours, and theyll go in an spray a sealent "paint" as a preventative measure.
View Quote

The mold my sisters house had was the dreaded toxic black mold. Whatever the fuck that is. A scam. It was dudes in full space suits for months. Insurance  company did pay for everything, but their house was declared a hazardous site for the 8 months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sealant will be pointless if the crawlspace isn't DRY. What is the humidity down there. You really need to get a moisture meter and check the floor and  joists to know for sure. If it isn't dry the mold WILL come back. Especially if your crawlspace is gravel or rock on the bottom all that water just soaked in to the ground saturating underneath and will take a solid 2 weeks to get dried out with de-humidifiers . My dad owns a flood restoration /mold mediation company I grew up around this shit:
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The mold my sisters house had was the dreaded toxic black mold. Whatever the fuck that is. A scam. It was dudes in full space suits for months. Insurance  company did pay for everything, but their house was declared a hazardous site for the 8 months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds to me like the insurance agent is getting kickbacks from the remediation company.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like the insurance agent is getting kickbacks from the remediation company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the scam. It was big business here in Texas. King Of The Hill did a good episode about it. About a year after my sister's experience.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Big mistake not reporting this to your own insurance company right away. At this point, they will almost surely deny the claim but that's really going to depend on whom the carrier is and time frame.

I would absolutely contact them first thing in the morning though and see what happens. The contractor and "his" insurance are not looking out for "your" best interest but I'm sure you realize this by now.

An environmental company needs to be brought on board for this and to ensure your overall home safety. While restorations contractors do this type of work every day, they don't always have the proper knowledge to handle this correctly.

I would highly recommend air test afterwards and you may even need to clean all the duct work and internals of your HVAC system/s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top