User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I really liked it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The characters and plot were pure Hollywood, no matter how authentic the tanks and personal equipment were.

The Pak40 AT guns would not have bounced off, and a M4A3(76) didn't have to go flank a Tiger to kill it.
In the last battle, the tank crew's tactics were dumb, and the SS were functionally retarded.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got done watching Fury on Blu-ray and it was meh at best. Seemed like a remake of the old 1950s WW2 movies only they added more swearing and gore. No real interesting plot and the characters just seemed like they were taken directly from every B-grade war movie made. The tough yet smart and sensitive commander, religious guy, gung-ho Animal Mother bad soldier, and the lost new guy all sent on an impossible mission.

Probably get flamed, but I just don't see anything in the movie....
View Quote

Did they have a lovable "8 ball" Black buddy who gets kilt?  

Did they have a "Jew Bear" ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Das Boot was a good movie
2. How was the tank pron?

If the tank pron was good, I'll still give it a watch eventually.
View Quote

Tank pron was excellent, it carries the movie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
And after the SS troops had a few hours to bang away at the tank with small arms, how is it that the M2 mounted on the top of the tank functioned perfectly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the worst war movies I've ever watched.

Shitty acting

No real story

Unlikeable characters

I'm not going to jump into the debate about the way it portrayed all the US Troops.

As I said in the last thread, the final battle scene was so far fetched, it made the Matrix look like reality.

The only decent part of the movie was the tanks and some of the special effects.
View Quote

i don't know, have you watched the matrix lately??? dodging bullets with cartwheels??
i liked certain aspects of the flick, could've been shorter... less story would've made for more story (if that makes sense)... didn't mind the actors.. enjoyed the flick enough, won't buy it though...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the movie wasnt really about the mission or the action.  I don't think it was meant to be a straight up 100% accurate retelling of tanker life in WWII.  

It was about what men see when they fight a war that way and how they have to deal with it.  How a lot of those guys had to see and do harsh things, not only that, but be ready to do it repeatedly.  And how they needed that part of them to survive the war.  Then how difficult it is to come back to being a normal person after that.  

The characters in the movie I think portrayed different parts of a man's personality.  Like the tank was someone's brain, and the characters were each a part of his personality.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
It reminded me a lot of being in Iraq in 2003.

Most of my friends that are Vets that made it downrange felt the same.
So, I guess go on a deployment or two and watch it again and see if it's better?
I laughed my ass off the whole movie.  
"Shoulda let em burn"  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think the movie wasnt really about the mission or the action.  I don't think it was meant to be a straight up 100% accurate retelling of tanker life in WWII.  

It was about what men see when they fight a war that way and how they have to deal with it.  How a lot of those guys had to see and do harsh things, not only that, but be ready to do it repeatedly.  And how they needed that part of them to survive the war.  Then how difficult it is to come back to being a normal person after that.  

The characters in the movie I think portrayed different parts of a man's personality.  Like the tank was someone's brain, and the characters were each a part of his personality.
View Quote
It's based on a real crew.
ETA- I should say loosely...  It's also an amalgamation.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed it.

Shitty acting
Decent acting from the cast.

No real story
War

Unlikeable characters
Unlikable at first, but tries to paint a picture of how war beats a man down and dulls him to normal things.

I'm not going to jump into the debate about the way it portrayed all the US Troops.
I don't think anyone here can say every American GI is a savior.

As I said in the last thread, the final battle scene was so far fetched, it made the Matrix look like reality.
True, but its a movie and it was fucking awesome.

The only decent part of the movie was the tanks and some of the special effects.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guess I will have to be the one to disagree.  I really enjoyed the movie, it reminded me of the old Sgt. Rock comics that my Dad used to show me when I was a kid.  That is to say that it skirted the line between comic book and "realistic" (using that term very loosely) pretty well in my opinion.  Really dug some of the action set pieces too, especially the assault on the Tiger.  

I will have to say that the Norman character was completely unlikeable.  I will also agree that the movie itself wasn't particularly innovative in any way, but I enjoyed it none the less.  Sure is a lot more fun to watch than the stuff I have to sit through when my wife is choosing the movie...
View Quote

Pretty much this Norman aka Shane was annoying as fuck and I didn't know wth he was saying half the time could have done w.o him. The rest I liked specially the tank v tank with a real Tiger and that damn giant m1917 revolver I kept seeing all through the movie made me have to have one so I bought one a week after seeing the movie .
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw it in the cinema and liked it.

The final scene aside, i thought the bang bang was done rather well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Were you looking for another Pearl Harbor? I don't think some of you get it. It's like you'd rather watch some cheesy action movie. The story is surviving, fighting with guys you know well and the tragedy of how it can go to shit in a heartbeat. Have you never deployed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed it for the action. But otherwise there really wasn't much to it. Story was pretty empty.

Were you looking for another Pearl Harbor? I don't think some of you get it. It's like you'd rather watch some cheesy action movie. The story is surviving, fighting with guys you know well and the tragedy of how it can go to shit in a heartbeat. Have you never deployed?

This. I think they got military camaraderie correct in the film.

If you have served or deployed you know that feeling that they portray in the film.

Like living with family every day all day. Not saying ive been in combat or anything but i believe the point of this movie was to show their co-ordination because of their time spent together. Also the love they have for eachother. Its not an action movie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regarding Tank movies, "Thunder Run" is coming out this year. I have extremely high hopes for that movie after reading the book. I hope the actors will do those tankers justice.

was unaware of this?

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/thunder_run/

That info is several years old, anything new on it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I liked it, made me want to be a tanker.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Hugely disappointed in the whole thing. What a POS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I always laugh when people say "War movie ____" is just full of cliche's"...   when the entire military, and living the life (especially Infantry/ combat arms) is like one giant cliche....

It's been mentioned in passing, but I really feel like the movie was made for Vets, with no fucks given if people who didn't serve "get it".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#20]
It was okay, but the final battle was poorly done. Rather than mow down the neat time and maybe shoot some WP rounds into the infantry, they wait until they are surrounded and pop out of the turrets with small arms right from the get go. I'm no tank expert, but with poor visibility I'd think the last thing you'd want is to be surrounded by infantry with anti tank weapons. The last they lasted so many hours without a German getting a shot off is crazy. They had a machine gunner waiting there, but didn't think to shoot the damn thing with an anti tank weapon.

First battle and the tank duel was nice. They should have redone the last half of the movie, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I Freakin Loved IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there I said it, flame suit on
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"Das Boot" in a tank.
View Quote

That's what it should have been.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pretty much this Norman aka Shane was annoying as fuck and I didn't know wth he was saying half the time could have done w.o him. The rest I liked specially the tank v tank with a real Tiger and that damn giant m1917 revolver I kept seeing all through the movie made me have to have one so I bought one a week after seeing the movie .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess I will have to be the one to disagree.  I really enjoyed the movie, it reminded me of the old Sgt. Rock comics that my Dad used to show me when I was a kid.  That is to say that it skirted the line between comic book and "realistic" (using that term very loosely) pretty well in my opinion.  Really dug some of the action set pieces too, especially the assault on the Tiger.  

I will have to say that the Norman character was completely unlikeable.  I will also agree that the movie itself wasn't particularly innovative in any way, but I enjoyed it none the less.  Sure is a lot more fun to watch than the stuff I have to sit through when my wife is choosing the movie...

The fight with the Tiger was pretty awful. 2 of the 3 Shermans in that fight had 76mm guns, which were completely capable of penetrating a Tiger's front at 600yd as depicted. Those first two punches would have zapped right through the Tiger's hull and probably blown it to shit--Tiger crews were notorious for cramming main gun rounds everywhere they could stash them, as were StuG crews.
And as we all know, it's main gun ammo igniting that causes tanks to burn...

The assault on the treeline was pretty good, too. Reminiscent of some of the Normandy bocage fighting, really.

The whole "American Soldiers in outmatched tanks" BS that they supported does real history a disservice.
I did like the camaraderie sense of the crew, though. And no, I've never been in the military in any capacity.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw it at the theatre. I was underwhelmed. I literally hated his crew! Wasn't a likeable asshole in the bunch.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Saw it at the theatre. I was underwhelmed. I literally hated his crew! Wasn't a likeable asshole in the bunch.
View Quote
Welcome to the military.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Amazon delivered the Blue Ray yesterday. I enjoyed it. I didn't really expect everything to be realistic.
But it was good on a whole.

I watched the special effects.
I found it interesting that they used a real working Tiger Tank borrowed from a museum. Same for the Sherman.
They put down cement under the mud where they were running the Tiger. Because they were afraid of damaging it.

I also found it interesting that the actor, playing the driver. Actually ended up really driving the Sherman tank most of the time.
The director said he was much better than the professional driver they hired to drive it.
He said he drove it better, made the correct turns better, and where they needed to be. They dumped the hired tank driver
So he ( the actor ) ended up driving the tank in most of the movie.

Sounded like he really liked driving it. Not every day a guy gets to drive a real Sherman Tank.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:40:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Shitty acting

No real story

Unlikeable characters

View Quote

This^^^^^

I expected awesome, but then I was like whaaaaa?  I was loving green tracers and tank shots, but every time I was happy about that-- it proceeded on to something derpful.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I liked it a lot , good action flick with some decent scenes and a few good battles .

The one commander that had his top-end removed by the 88 was . . . surprising
View Quote

Yep, I watched the story that was presented without focusing on technical accuracy and what not and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top