Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 11:16:37 PM EDT
Does anyone else keep track of what they spend on there builds and anything AR related? Including ammo? I do but sometimes I wish I didn't. Lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No way. Imagine if that information fell into the wrong (eg: my wife's) hands.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Once I hit a certain point on a build(usually what I originally planned/budgeted towards), I stop counting.

I always surpass that number
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a spreadsheet for all of my AR builds, including what components I used, where I sourced them, and how much they cost.  I figure it could be useful in the event of a fire or burglary for insurance purposes.

I do not, however, keep track of what I spend on ammo.  All I track on that front is how much I have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to keep track but like others said ignorance is bliss. I do have a "ballpark" # in my head however. I like to purchase parts used with the idea that I can sell them at close to cost to minimize any losses.

These are my BRD coping mechanisms.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep a spreadsheet for all of my AR builds, including what components I used, where I sourced them, and how much they cost.  I figure it could be useful in the event of a fire or burglary for insurance purposes.

I do not, however, keep track of what I spend on ammo.  All I track on that front is how much I have on hand.
View Quote

Same here.

Builds and parts are tracked to the penny including where I bought them. Not so for ammo except my range reports and round counts for the rifles. Not sure why, but I want to know exactly what I paid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually have a list of all the parts I need to purchase to put a rifle together.  After I pick up a certain part, I put a check next to that part and how much (after tax, shipping, etc.) I spent on it.  Not long after the rifle is complete and after I've totaled the parts up, I toss the list and most of the receipts before my wife finds them.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Once i hit 900 i stop caring

Mainly because my build is complete
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.

Builds and parts are tracked to the penny including where I bought them. Not so for ammo except my range reports and round counts for the rifles. Not sure why, but I want to know exactly what I paid.
View Quote

Yep, I do the same for round counts.  I also mark my magazines and annotate if I have any suspected magazine related malfunctions.  It's already helped me to cull out a few problem magazines that I probably wouldn't have noticed without a tracking system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Well of course I know what I paid...but I don't keep track of the cost of the components. Considering my only AR has two tax-stamps and is Noveske in nature, I hate thinking about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.

View Quote

Yep, I do the same for round counts.  I also mark my magazines and annotate if I have any suspected magazine related malfunctions.  It's already helped me to cull out a few problem magazines that I probably wouldn't have noticed without a tracking system.
View Quote

Labeled magazines is a good plan. Allows you to isolate that problem mag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Exactly why I started doing it this year. From ammo to uppers to pins and springs. I'd hate to have something happen and have insurance laugh at what it's worth. But now I'm regretting it with the two builds so far this year already it makes me think twice about another. Ammo I'm just curious about what I use a year
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]
No, I have built too many. All with different barrels, handguards, and optics. I do not worry about how much I have into a build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I do in my head.......but I'm not concerned that much, I don't drink go to bars and blow money, so my guns are my vent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Once I hit $87.00 I quit keeping track.

I try to build what I want at the time, and do not worry too much about the price.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been buying for the past 22 years, I've put probably $300K+ into everything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The year after my first divorce I went a little build / gun purchase crazy and figured I would keep track, and when I looked at the totals I realized why I will never record totals again lol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got spreadsheets......with sumifs, conditional formatting, and graphs.

ETA: and Quicken with a number of Firearms subcategories.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm recording EVERYTHING for my first build. After that, meh. If I build another one it'll be more than double what I've put into this one. And I don't like thinking about it
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I make an excel spreadsheet of all the parts I need for the build listed out with the manufacturer, who I purchased It from, cost, and date of purchase. If I had the part already in my spare parts bin the cost is listed as zero. I am just waiting on my first stamp on a 8" 300 Blk build and my cost not including the stamp so far is $800.00 with only one part left to get which will be another $100.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy parts randomly with no build in mind. If I see a good deal on barrels, I'll buy a few, same with all the other parts. I have more barrels than anything. Actually no, I have more blemished Noveske receivers than anything because I bought em back when they were like 80 bucks or so. I don't keep track, there's no point, I always end up removing parts off one rifle to reconfigure another.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Never been much for record keeping, although now that I'm in charge of our checkbook, I'm quickly realizing why keeping meticulous records would've been a great habit to have.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#24]
i pretend to not remember
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]
With cost of the base platform going down the money is in the accessories. We now have freemium AR's. It's hard to keep track of how much your really spending when it's a little here and little more there over time versus one or two big purchases. No I don't keep track I just keep spending. Hell I don't even know what I'm building yet but I have barrels lowers stocks etc...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats exactly why I made one.   It's not just guns, but anything of value.

I considered making two encrypted USB drives each with a unique password and giving one to the wife and one to my sister.  Each drive has the other's password stored outside the encrypted container.  I guess there's always the chance that my wife and I both die in a horrible boating accident, but my sister would manage.

I finally just decided to let the wife in on it, and we maintain it together.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes I keep a spread sheet of what I buy, shipping cost and who I bought it from.
I have been doing this for the last 9 years.

If something happens I have a list for insurance purposes.

If I decide to sell something I want to know what I paid for it.
I try to recoup my money and maybe make a profit on it. ( interest recovery)

I also watch the current prices on some items and have a place for that. Thing go up and down on prices.

I don't have a spread sheet for some stuff I have had for many years. YET! I am working on it.

I have had a few time that I need to know when I ordered something from a vendor, order number, dates, names of who I talked to, etc..
I have had a few vendors that forgot to ship the order and I have had a few that short shipped on orders.
It helps to have good data when dealing with them. They don't expect that.

It is a good reminder for me.
AS I get older my memory is not so good.

Have a nice day!
Ron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top