Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2015 11:00:37 PM EDT
Long story short... The top Dr. in our group set a goal for our practices to raise money for a cause that was started by the owner of our company, we didn't, so now she says we have to send her a list of names names of people she will ask to donate, and she wants to send us a bill for the remaining money.  The bill is actually being called a different name I just don't want to get too specific.

How can I avoid this whole situation?  I just started and don't have the money like the rest of the Dr's do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell them you will choose what charities you donate too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

But the owner of my company started this one, I can't tell them to just eff off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not charity, that's office politics. It might be cheaper to consider it a cost of doing business there.

ETA: That's shitty of them, OP.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But the owner of my company started this one, I can't tell them to just eff off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sue them for creating a hostile work environment and than donate the winnings to that charity
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
that's not charity. sounds like extortion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing like being coerced and having money extorted from you.

Have student loans you have to pay back? Send her a bill for one of your monthly payments explaining you'd be happy to ''donate'' to her cause if she donates to yours.

And yes, if she's insinuating that your job depends on handing over money to someone, that is extortion. It may be ''soft'' extortion but yeah, I'd put her and your boss on the level of the mafioso.

And FWIW, I'd be mad as hell if someone gave my name to someone like this dame so I could be hit up for money.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's not charity, that's office politics. It might be cheaper to consider it a cost of doing business there.
View Quote

That kind of attitude is why i have turned down job offers with large companies. I not a sheep and im not a politician.

Everybody is different but i would firmly and kindly refuse. Document it and get ready to be fired.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If I were you I'd pay it. Sucks ass but if you don't stroke his ego it could be very career limiting
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Start your own. The Human Fund has a nice ring to it
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I tell any one who asks for this type of donation that I donate only thru my Church so I know where the money is going.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
no way in hell would i pay that...what a bunch of insane bullshit.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
How much cheddar are we talking?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I donate every time I pay taxes
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How much cheddar are we talking?
View Quote

The goal for the offices was multiple thousands, less than 10, but what she is suggesting for the "bill" is probably going to be a least $1000 for me and each person I send her.  I can just send her a very short list and tell her that those are the only people who gave me their permission to give out their contact info.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I am assuming you are a doctor.  What type of medicine do you practice?

I would tell them to pound sand or pay me more so I could donate more money to charity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I were you I'd pay it. Sucks ass but if you don't stroke his ego it could be very career limiting
View Quote

I'm not so much worried that my career will be limited, there isn't really any where to move up to at this point.  But being on really good terms with the owner and the other doctors give you a lot of perks like being able to get a lot of continuing education paid for, and better equipment.  I really like the owner, but this Dr. was the first one he ever hired, and she is kind of his right hand, so I feel like if I don't pony up, ESPECIALLY if I am the only one who doesn't, then it could be the end for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd give them a dollar then tell them you're tapped out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#19]
tell them you made a donation in there name to the human fund

been there before and its the price for getting perks,suck but it happens..

maybe talk with the owner be honest and tell him you dont have the $$ at this point
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally, I would give them some sob story.   "my xxxxxx is my personal charity, he didn't succeed financially and is in dire need, so I give him/her every spare dollar I have".      

The Army used to do that shit.    "anyone who donates can take the rest of the day off.   Anyone who doesn't can stand in formation until they feel more generous".        I despise that kind of shakedown.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
that's not charity. sounds like extortion.
View Quote

This. Your workplace cannot force you to donate to their chosen charities or politicians.

Of course, you are left with the hassle of proving your workplace is coercing your "donation," but, hey, land of the free...right?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Throw up everywhere.

That will get you out of most things in life.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Throw up everywhere.

View Quote

Set the standard for how you want your career to go there, and grow a pair and refuse.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's not charity, that's office politics. It might be cheaper to consider it a cost of doing business there.  That's robbery, through coercion.

View Quote
Fixed it.

Sounds like she learns well from the zero types.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#25]
What an awkward position they are putting you in.  Are you a partner in the group?  If not, they shouldn't even be asking you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#26]
It's the very definition of extortion.  Wow.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#27]
There was a thread not too long ago about forced donations. United Way iirc.

Sucks

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#28]

"It is not the will of Allah that I donate to anyone but my mosque."

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Throw up everywhere.

View Quote

I wish I would have thought of that instead of crapping my pants. It gets expensive having to replace pants, underwear and sometimes socks and shoes.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Extortion

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Extortion

View Quote

Didn't you have the robot sewing a heart on his chest avatar? Bring that one back! I really like that little metal guy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Offer up 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#33]
document it and then take it to the ethics board. Let them deal with the extortion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm sorry but I've already pledged to donate what I can afford to a different charity that is related to a past family tradgedy. I'd rather not discuss it, thank you.

Not buying that supressor was tragic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can.

If you don't want to tell them to fuck off and die then send me their phone number and I'll do it for you. It's no different than what I tell all the bums up and down the street here in DC every day.

I truly don't care if you're about to starve if I don't give you any money. I really don't.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you can.

You say your boss started this "charity".  Genuine 501(c)3?  And is he compensated in any way by this "charity"?  There's probably some law against what they're doing.  Even if there isn't, it's in poor taste.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#37]
You look them in the eye and tell them that you are not subject to coercion, and that ant arm twisting will result in no donation whatsoever.

Do not go down the road of putting up with BS like this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You look them in the eye and tell them that you are not subject to coercion, and that ant arm twisting will result in no donation whatsoever.

Do not go down the road of putting up with BS like this.
View Quote

Yep.

Your coworker (or even your boss) asks you to buy some Girl Scout cookies from their daughter, maybe you buy a box...

Your boss demands that you cough up a grand for whatever charity? Tell them to fuck off.

Edit to correct grammar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#39]
If I got one of those bills, I'd write in a negative number (credit) for 40 bucks and in the comments section put "for wasting my time."
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If I got one of those bills, I'd write in a negative number (credit) for 40 bucks and in the comments section put "for wasting my time."
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#41]
What are your other options?

You mentioned if you don't pay it then it could be the end for you. What would you do?

Not saying it is right but maybe it is in your best interest to do it? You said they do things like tuition reimbursement on a case by case basis maybe you donate 1k to this and you get 2k in perks in return.

I would be pissed on principle and would likely start looking for an out but it the meantime do what is best for you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

BS.  Doctors have portable skills.  I'd make no bones about the fact that I could have a new job tomorrow.

This isn't just talk for me.  When I was in the National Guard our unit had a goal of 100% participation in United Way or some other charity.  I looked into it and saw that they contributed to things I did not support.  When I declined I got leaned on hard by the Platoon Sergeant, Top, and the Company Commander.  I explained to one and all that if it was voluntary, the answer was no.  I never paid, but the Company still got the 100% participation recognition, so I figure the Officers chipped in my share.  I did a fair amount of KP after that, but they didn't bend my dog tags or send me to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it.

I had a boss who gave us all a 1000 dollar xmas bonus to spend on charity.

I bought a 6940.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Get a backbone man and tell the owner to fuck off.

He/she is in the wrong telling its employees how to spend their money or who to donate to.

Everyone else in the real world realizes this. The company owner is in the vast minority.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bought a 6940.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it.

I bought a 6940.

That gives me a great idea! Do you think I could start a charity that gives AR's to "less fortunate" Americans?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not so much worried that my career will be limited, there isn't really any where to move up to at this point.  But being on really good terms with the owner and the other doctors give you a lot of perks like being able to get a lot of continuing education paid for, and better equipment.  I really like the owner, but this Dr. was the first one he ever hired, and she is kind of his right hand, so I feel like if I don't pony up, ESPECIALLY if I am the only one who doesn't, then it could be the end for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you get through residency being such a Milquetoast?  I'll hazard a guess that you aren't a Surgeon.

CME should be spelled out in your contract, not doled out on the whim of some office manager or senior partner.  If they provide you with shoddy equipment over something petty like this, you need to leave.  A good job working with passive-aggressive dipshits is not a job worth having.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How did you get through residency being such a Milquetoast?  I'll hazard a guess that you aren't a Surgeon.

CME should be spelled out in your contract, not doled out on the whim of some office manager or senior partner.  If they provide you with shoddy equipment over something petty like this, you need to leave.  A good job working with passive-aggressive dipshits is not a job worth having.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are all surgeons, just not assholes, and we have a limit on CE, but they often "approve" of going over the agreed upon limit, I have been more than doubling the contractually agreed upon amount, and want to continue or even accelerate that pace.  I think I am going to tell them that I have asked a bunch of people if they mind if I give away their contact info and they all said no.  Then I'll make the donation they request with the office credit card.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Give us a dollar amount, OP. How much are they asking for?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#49]
The original amount we had to raise through our practices was $4000.  Now, I think they will be asking us individually, along with the list of names we provide for $500-1000 each.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn dude.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top