Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 6:47:53 PM EDT
My homeowners insurance wants over $300 a year for $15k worth of coverage.  So, I need some suggestions on firearm insurance.  Let me know what you guys use.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
AMSEC Fire Safe
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]

In NC homeowners insurance automatically covers guns to 10% of coverage C or a max of $10,000.  

I cover mine on a personal articles policy for $1.60 per $100.

>
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a safe, but I want to be covered all the way around for my SBR's and suppressors.  Amica is wanting a little more than I would like to pay.  Anyone else have any input?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
the company thru the nra.  I think they make you report individual firearms worth more than $2500 though.  Not total guns worth more, just individual.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Lockton Affinity, LLC which is offered to NRA members.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the company thru the nra.  I think they make you report individual firearms worth more than $2500 though.  Not total guns worth more, just individual.
View Quote

Also heard no serial # needed
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My house was broken into last year and insurance covers very little, if any. Luckily for me, my wife's friend is a computer nerd who managed to track the thieves using laptops that were stolen from us, so the courts are supposedly going to recuperate our remaining losses through restitution after the underage thieves complete a work program. It's best to get supplemental insurance for your personal items and not rely on your homeowner's insurance because they don't pay that much anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
firearms ARE insurance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have USAA. They charge $260/yr for $16,000.

I think that is reasonable, so I use them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Can give better details when the wife is out from her bath, but thru Allstate, as she recalls from there, we have a "Sports and Leisure" rider covering $2000-$2500 per item, up to $20,000-$25,000 total, for $20 a year.  Don't know what all is included in "Sports and Leisure", but she said it would cover each of my guns with any attachments, or any of her horse riding equipment, up to said per each and then total (which she did not recall exactly).

Took one last look at the titties to ask if she was sure because it sounded to good to be true.  She said if we scheduled each item, there would be no deductible to pay and the cost would go to several hundred a year.  As we have it as formerly described, but would still need to pay whatever the home deductible is.  

Now remembering why we did what we did, I was good with how we have it setup.  Keep em stored good.  WORST case scenario, house burns down, we're going to be paying that deductible anyway.  Best the bad scenarios of just going for the guns, I'd lose the deductible, yet get everything fixed and/or replaced, which wouldn't be but the cost of one or two guns, and it's inexpensive per year.

Her knowledge of such things may be provided, pics will not.

EDIT:  Oh, there is also a deal thru the NRA where you can (and I do) get free insurance up to $2500 for a firearm if stolen, even from your car.. and maybe other loses that I don't recall.  All you have to have is a police report, no SN.  If you claim on insurance, they make the insurance pay what's owed first, then they cover anything up to that $2500 figure.  That's why I wasn't worried about the home deductible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't insurance come with an NRA membership?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't insurance come with an NRA membership?
View Quote

Yes, but only a limited amount ($2500?).

I expect that most Arfcommers have much more than that value in firearms.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
$45,000 is about $300 with Collectibles Insurance Svcs.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
She checked it. Up to $5,000 per item, up to $25,000 total, $34/yr.  Any of my "sports" items including mags, reloading equipment, the horse stuff, guns, optics, pretty much anything sports/leisure related.  With the free NRA insurance and the 1% home deductible, for today, I'm good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I was surprised to find my homeowners insurance covered only 2500 total on firearms I'm currently looking for supplemental insurance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top