Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2015 4:19:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate them. Been through too many. Seen many families on many people lose everything. Worked recovery efforts on many. Took off work and went to help in the Alabama swarm a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate them. Been through too many. Seen many families on many people lose everything. Worked recovery efforts on many. Took off work and went to help in the Alabama swarm a few years back.
View Quote
Only been through one in my life and thankfully it didn't get super close. The Dallas area was always really weird for tornado activity but we did get one a few years back.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
We got cows!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]

This one narrowly missed a flight of B1B's sitting near the runway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]

They love mobile homes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
We have had too many in the south lately. They get my attention, for sure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They are loud bitches, and random.  I've seen them go through and eat 9 houses out of 10 on a block and that 10th house right in the middle of the path won't have a shingle out of place.  This one went about 75 yards from me across the street.  Evansville Tornado 2005

I hope to never be in anything bigger than that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Could these guys be bigger dorks? Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]

LOL that dog was like "Fuck this shit I'm out!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Could these guys be bigger dorks? Jesus.
View Quote
I'd be nerding out with em.....Seeing these things in front of you is both stunning and terrifying at the same time.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
the Washington IL storm took over 1000 homes, including my bosses while he hid in the basement. His neighbor was found a quarter mile away in a tree, dead. They found debris hundreds of miles away. 1000+ homes completely gone and only one fatality, that's what happens when the storm hits at 10am on a Sunday and misses every church around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Had one take part of the roof off our house when we lived in Kansas.

I hate tornados.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

the Washington IL storm took over 1000 homes, including my bosses while he hid in the basement. His neighbor was found a quarter mile away in a tree, dead. They found debris hundreds of miles away. 1000+ homes completely gone and only one fatality, that's what happens when the storm hits at 10am on a Sunday and misses every church around.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Only been through one in my life and thankfully it didn't get super close. The Dallas area was always really weird for tornado activity but we did get one a few years back.  

http://youtu.be/O1mHLogxh94

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one that got my house
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Gave up a house to the F5 in May 1999. Wife, daughter and myself rode it out in my built in gun safe / master closet. Don't want to do that again!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a dent in my skull just behind my left temple from a tornado when I was 11 (1976).  A young man who is like my nephew lost his fiancee in Smithville, MS on April 27, 2011 when an F5 destroyed the town killing 16 total out of a population of about 800-900.  The mayor is a personal friend of mine.  It about destroyed his soul.
Tornados are indiscrimate killers that wreck havoc and misery on humanity.  I hate them.

R.I.P. Jessica.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a tomato!  

Awesome to see them,  not the aftermath.  

We were fortunate,  we had one that seriously fu!@ed up our farm when I was about 12.  Picked the house up off the foundation and set it back down while we were in the basement.  Was somewhat weird seeing light through the basement walls.  We were at the end of a long track that tornado made after it had gone through town. I think it tracked something like 9 miles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was in High School back in 2002, we had a nasty one go through an area just south of where I lived in Southern Maryland (La Plata). It went across two counties then on over the Chesapeake Bay. I had gotten home from school about an hour or two before it hit, and I remember looking out the window and seeing clouds move in a really strange way. It was pretty insane.

Turns out it was an F4 tornado, and with how congested that area is, it only killed 5 people during the evening rush.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They love mobile homes.
View Quote

Trailers: aluminum tornado magnets
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I have some experience with them.

About a mile away from the house.

All and all, we were "missed" by <100 yards. The tornado, so far as I can tell, passed over my back yard, while airborne.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
From the You're Too Close file:

Henryville, Indiana, March 2012.

This compelling video is scary every time I watch it:

Inside a gas station, Joplin, MO, May 22, 2011

The Van Wert, Ohio tornado of 11/10/02 was too close to my home for comfort, and much stronger than a rare November tornado should be in Ohio

The owner of a movie theatre in Van Wert saved a bunch of kids by sheltering them in the bathrooms just minutes before the storm deposited cars and debris in the front row:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit! I remember that Van Wert theater footage!

Yeah, WAY too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]

I love that chart. I was gonna post it if no one else had.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Pilger, NE (tornadoes in the OP video) is not far from me!

I've only seen one tornado in person and it was a tiny one. I was in Joplin, MO the weekend after that tornado, and the destruction was unfathomable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]

'Naders are a trip. If you've never seen one without being in danger...you'd be amazed. Nature put's on a great show.

While the death and destruction side of them sucks...most of the death and injuries could be avoided if people had better situational awareness. Not much can be done about the damage they cause.

I've been chasing tornadoes for years and volunteer as a SKYWARN spotter. We provide 'ground truth' to the NWS about what is actually happening beneath their radar coverage. Even so...people are oblivious to impending doom. They just go about their daily business self-assured that there is no danger...until it's too late.

That's a shame.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I followed a big one in 1986 down the highway with my mom, watching it rip up houses and trees...unreal how loud and destructive it was even from a distance. Two kids I went to school with got their farms completely wiped out.

When it smashed through the treeline and hit a river, it turned instantly white from the ground up for a second...amazing.

Never wanna see another up close and personal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to see one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it normal for folks to chase tornados with their ass hanging out their britches?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to work for FEMA... was on the ground after some nasty ones including the Alabama outbreak... here are some of my photos...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2052586282088.2128837.1467475777&type=1&l=1c1972c33d

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I want to see one.
View Quote
Live in TX long enough you will.....I just hope you are far enough from it.

This one is absolutely nuts

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
One flew over our house when I was a kid.

Another flew over the Braums we were in (It was a little ol' F0, but that fucker was still loud.)

I'm pretty sure my father was in one. (I believe he was a kid at that time and he was riding home with his parents)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I was there for the one that hit Tuscaloosa a few years ago. Watched one dead guy get pulled out of the rubble and spent a number of hours doing search and recovery and cleaning up.

That was one big fucker.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I want to see one.
View Quote

Be careful what you wish for. I have been within 1/2 mile of 6 or 7 and directly in the path of 2.  That's enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine was one of them, so was my dad's. Unbelievably loud as the house was being ripped to shreds and then nothing left but the foundations. It was pretty surreal coming out of the hole and seeing a 1/4 mile wide strip of nothing left but debris for as far as you could see.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
'Naders are a trip. If you've never seen one without being in danger...you'd be amazed. Nature put's on a great show.

While the death and destruction side of them sucks...most of the death and injuries could be avoided if people had better situational awareness. Not much can be done about the damage they cause.

I've been chasing tornadoes for years and volunteer as a SKYWARN spotter. We provide 'ground truth' to the NWS about what is actually happening beneath their radar coverage. Even so...people are oblivious to impending doom. They just go about their daily business self-assured that there is no danger...until it's too late.

That's a shame.

View Quote

Totally agree. Rode out the May 1999 one (learned that we were inside the debris cloud when it went by) and nearly lost my house in the May 20th 2013 one and helped with the recovery. Despite all that tornados are cool as hell. Nature itself is a trip. My BIL is a SKYWARN spotter who's done some chases, but unfortunately I've yet to ride along with him.......but Spring's a comin'!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Scary

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#41]
boy, scary stuff.

I'm wondering what would be a good tornado safe area, like the poster above that rode out a tornado in his safe room.

I've also wondered how a properly built monolithic dome would hold up to a high level twister?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone Remember Xenia Ohio in 1974?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to see one.

That would be awesome!

Don't get me wrong, I would be all "HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT!" at the time, but afterwards I'd be like "FUCK YEAH!" afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's a shame.

View Quote

SWMBO's family is mostly in MO. Most of them have a "meh" attitude about tornadoes, despite several of their homes and cars being seriously damaged.

Her parents don't even have a weather radio. Well, that's not entirely accurate. They never had one until I stayed at their home and discovered that fact, so I bought them one and programmed it. The alerts annoyed them, so it's now unplugged and in the basement storage room. When we stay there, especially in a busy weather season, I watch radar and storm tracks very avidly and listen to scanner feeds on my phone when it gets hairy.

My brother built a home near Tulsa in a new subdivision. I suggested he very strongly consider a storm shelter/"oil change pit" in the garage to shelter him and his kids. He never did, for reasons I could never quite understand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyonenremember Xenia Ohio in 1974?
View Quote

Hells yes!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Get out of the shot you asshole!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get out of the shot you asshole!
View Quote

The girl seemed to be the most level headed of the rest of
the goobers.

What a bunch of dweeby retards.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to see one.

I'm just throwing this out there, but it's a very bad idea to take shelter from a tornado under a bridge/overpass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank You
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to see one.

I'm just throwing this out there, but it's a very bad idea to take shelter from a tornado under a bridge/overpass.

If I have the choice of my car or crawling as far up into an overpass as I can... I will take the overpass.  I can see where you wouldn't want to be just under it, but if you can get up between the girders and concrete, yeah, it is gonna be windy, but at least you have SOME protection... just sayin'

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top