Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look, I know nothing about Mr. Cotton, but if EVER there was a year when Texas could expect to get OC, it's this year. The brand new governor came into office declaring he wanted to sign OC into law. What is the damned problem here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Charles Cotton has been dedicating himself pro-bono to the NRA and TSRA longer than some of the people here have been alive.  He isn't popular with the "but I want it now!' crowd because he is actually down at the Capitol quite a bit and frequently shits reality on their ideas, albeit very politely.

Look, I know nothing about Mr. Cotton, but if EVER there was a year when Texas could expect to get OC, it's this year. The brand new governor came into office declaring he wanted to sign OC into law. What is the damned problem here?

Pretty simple, they don't have the votes to bring it to the floor. And acting like OCT did isn't going to get any Democrats to support it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've stated elsewhere that I was once on the fence about OC, and when all this came up with the multiple
threads and seeing these goofy paulbots pushing it so hard, I came down against it.  My question is why does anyone
want to OC? I open carried as a cop for over 35 years in two states, , had to fight over it multiple times and had co workers shot
and killed with their own gun after losing it.  I don't get this.  I think concealed carry should be granted
with a NICS check, but when you're toting a gun for the world to see that's a heavy responsibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I would open carry, but it's just another reason I'm glad I left.

LoL

I've stated elsewhere that I was once on the fence about OC, and when all this came up with the multiple
threads and seeing these goofy paulbots pushing it so hard, I came down against it.  My question is why does anyone
want to OC? I open carried as a cop for over 35 years in two states, , had to fight over it multiple times and had co workers shot
and killed with their own gun after losing it.  I don't get this.  I think concealed carry should be granted
with a NICS check, but when you're toting a gun for the world to see that's a heavy responsibility.

If you change a principle because of the foolish actions of a few, you never really had a principle to begin with. If you believe that civil rights are okay with permission of the state, then you are not for civil rights,.

OC is important because, in my state, if I CCW and want to take my jacket off because it is hot or I want to sit down and eat or want to load boxes of books into my truck I can without fear of arrest because OC is also legal here. Not so much in Texas. I can go from CCW to OC as I wish and as the circumstances dictate. If you are against OC, you are also anti-gun IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL

I don't much want to open carry. It would be nice to not have to worry about getting arrested because I accidentally let my shirt ride up too high. And don't give me this crap about "accidental exposure." Accidental exposure laws don't offer nearly the same level of legal protection as a bona fide OC law.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If a couple of neckbeards are the excuse politicians use for doing the wrong thing, they were never on the right side in the first place. It's like blaming Westboro Baptist for voting to ban free speech--there is a lot more to the issue than a few idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. Texas is anything but the pro-gun bastion of freedom its made out to be.

Indeed. The OCTards just made it worse.

If a couple of neckbeards are the excuse politicians use for doing the wrong thing, they were never on the right side in the first place. It's like blaming Westboro Baptist for voting to ban free speech--there is a lot more to the issue than a few idiots.

NavyDoc, if there's anyone on the site that I can trust to speak truthfully and logically, it's you. If I disagree with something that you say, I generally re-evaluate what I think and see if it is right. I just wanted to let you know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty simple, they don't have the votes to bring it to the floor. And acting like OCT did isn't going to get any Democrats to support it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Charles Cotton has been dedicating himself pro-bono to the NRA and TSRA longer than some of the people here have been alive.  He isn't popular with the "but I want it now!' crowd because he is actually down at the Capitol quite a bit and frequently shits reality on their ideas, albeit very politely.

The Texas Senate has 20 Republicans and 11 Democrats. I think we should know who these Republicans are that oppose OC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you change a principle because of the foolish actions of a few, you never really had a principle to begin with. If you believe that civil rights are okay with permission of the state, then you are not for civil rights,.

OC is important because, in my state, if I CCW and want to take my jacket off because it is hot or I want to sit down and eat or want to load boxes of books into my truck I can without fear of arrest because OC is also legal here. Not so much in Texas. I can go from CCW to OC as I wish and as the circumstances dictate. If you are against OC, you are also anti-gun IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL

In Texas, if you have a CHL and a brisk wind exposes your weapon, or if its accidently seen you have not violated any law. Typical GD lockstep mentality, if I'm anti OC I'm anti gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in an OC state and never, ever have a problem showing my carry pistol accidentally.  You sound like one of those guys that thinks OWB is concealed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you mean personality-wise? I don't think that's true. Look at this history of monarchy. The next guy in line almost always couldn't wait to be King. And monarchs were overwhelmingly in favor of preserving the status quo or restoring old traditions. But I digress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because, only those with a liberal bent want to be in charge of other people.

Sure, legit conservatives like to run successful businesses, but they look at it as being a producer, not a boss of people.

If anything, conservative businessmen consider themselves a net positive to society because they create opportunities for people to work hard and create their own weatlh.

Do you mean personality-wise? I don't think that's true. Look at this history of monarchy. The next guy in line almost always couldn't wait to be King. And monarchs were overwhelmingly in favor of preserving the status quo or restoring old traditions. But I digress.

I guess I was thinking in terms of mondern, American pols.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, legit conservatives like to run successful businesses, but they look at it as being a producer, not a boss of people.

If anything, conservative businessmen consider themselves a net positive to society because they create opportunities for people to work hard and create their own weatlh.

So.....what did you do in Chicago?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In Texas, if you have a CHL and a brisk wind exposes your weapon, or if its accidently seen you have not violated any law. Typical GD lockstep mentality, if I'm anti OC I'm anti gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL

And you haven't violated any law when you are pulled over and appear drunk but blow a .07 either, but you're less likely to be wrongly or falsely arrested if you are completely sober...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Texas Senate has 20 Republicans and 11 Democrats. I think we should know who these Republicans are that oppose OC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They need 21 to bring this bill to the floor. We don't have the numbers. We needed a couple Democrats. OCT gave them an excuse. No Republicans are at fault.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may very well be right about modern America. I just wonder what is so different about us today, and our ancestors a few hundred years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They need 21 to bring this bill to the floor. We don't have the numbers. We needed a couple Democrats. OCT gave them an excuse. No Republicans are at fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, they now only need 19. Dan Patrick is behind the rule change. What a tangled web...

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/21/change-procedure-senate-democrats-lose-clout/

With a new lieutenant governor installed for the first time in over a decade Wednesday — and over the cries of Democrats — the Texas Senate voted to break from an almost 70-year tradition intended to encourage compromise among its 31 members.

Now the approval of only 19 senators instead of 21 will be required to bring legislation to the floor for debate. The change — passed on a vote of 20-10 — has the practical effect of allowing Republicans to consider a bill without a single vote from one of the chamber's 11 Democrats. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who presides over the Senate, has targeted the tradition known as the “two-thirds rule” since he first entered the Legislature in 2007.

ETA:  So the question, I suppose, becomes "Who is this one Republican who is against bringing it to a floor vote?"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, they now only need 19. Dan Patrick is behind the rule change. What a tangled web...

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/21/change-procedure-senate-democrats-lose-clout/

ETA:  So the question, I suppose, becomes "Who is this one Republican who is against bringing it to a floor vote?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a new lieutenant governor installed for the first time in over a decade Wednesday — and over the cries of Democrats — the Texas Senate voted to break from an almost 70-year tradition intended to encourage compromise among its 31 members.

Now the approval of only 19 senators instead of 21 will be required to bring legislation to the floor for debate. The change — passed on a vote of 20-10 — has the practical effect of allowing Republicans to consider a bill without a single vote from one of the chamber's 11 Democrats. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who presides over the Senate, has targeted the tradition known as the “two-thirds rule” since he first entered the Legislature in 2007.

It is my understanding that the rule change doesn't apply to bills already filled before this session.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It is my understanding that the rule change doesn't apply to bills already filled before this session.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy fix, re-file another one with basically the same language.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Lt. Gov. Patrick's comments aside, this is still the best opportunity we have had in years to get open carry passed.  If it goes up for a vote, I am 100% positive it will pass the House and the Senate.  There are three problems holding this up:

1) It appears that Gov. Abbott isn't going to make this a priority by naming it emergency legislation - so it is subject to the normal legislative process.
2) Needs 21 votes in the Senate to be considered for a vote - only 20 Republicans
3) The Speaker of the House is Joe Straus, who last session appointed a Democrat to chair the committee that hears gun legislation.  Not surprisingly, that committee chair (Joe Pickett - D El Paso) did not get around to scheduling any votes on open carry.  The Speaker of the House is still Joe Straus. We've yet to learn who the Committee Chair for Homeland Security and Public Safety will be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

But you are in Colorado now?????

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Withdraw the current open carry bill and submit a new one that is adequately different.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good idea actually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Asshat fucking retarded fucktards that decided to scare Susie Soccer Mom.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So wait, we are blaming the open carry people and not the politicians that are denying Texans their rights?

View Quote

This, it's comical.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OTOH, it is a bit disingenuous to point out the failings of the actions of other people when the people of your own community failed much, much worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good job open carry hipster dicks

I love seeing NY and CO chime in on gun bills.

There's nobody better to know how precious a right can be than someone who has been denied it.

We appreciate what many of you take for granted.

This........

OTOH, it is a bit disingenuous to point out the failings of the actions of other people when the people of your own community failed much, much worse.

Really.......OK then.........
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Worked.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked.  

sure you did
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

sure you did
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked.  

sure you did

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which is why I'm looking at moving there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only there was someplace left that was still free.....

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/7/6/2/1/13147373821030202912Arizona%20Outline%20with%20Flag.svg.hi.png

Which is why I'm looking at moving there.  

Good. Dibs on food from your dinner pics.

If you haven't already, check out our HTF. Good folks, the lot of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
The great Jerry knows how to do it right!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice Work OCT!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#31]

That's a lot of butt hurt from a guy with no skin in the game.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My wife and I were actually planning on moving to Texas and investing in the Texas Economy. I was scouting property and jobs. My wife was really excited to open a CPA Firm in Texas. But instead we're going to take our money (skin in the game) and go else where. Texas just lost two conservative latinos.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My wife and I were actually planning on moving to Texas and investing in the Texas Economy. I was scouting property and jobs. My wife was really excited to open a CPA Firm in Texas. But instead we're going to take our money (skin in the game) and go else where. Texas just lost two conservative latinos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well wherever you go, good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm in an OC state and never, ever have a problem showing my carry pistol accidentally.  You sound like one of those guys that thinks OWB is concealed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once upon a time in FL, if you printed you could get harassed for "brandishing".

Unsure if the laws have changed since.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sure as fuck isn't Texas and and the OCT assholes are part to blame.

I'm looking at the promise land!

Arizona!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Once upon a time in FL, if you printed you could get harassed for "brandishing".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It recently changed and even then it isn't good.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Arizona!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arizona!

Beautiful state.  Be sure to check out Bisbee
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No argument there, wife's family is  from Nebraska. Shame you have all that below zero temp stuff going on though.  BTW:  Can you hunt from helicopters with that suppressor? .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Since your post are more entertaining at the moment...  

Nebraska is better because we have open carry, concealed carry, own and hunt with suppressors, SBR's, etc etc...

No argument there, wife's family is  from Nebraska. Shame you have all that below zero temp stuff going on though.  BTW:  Can you hunt from helicopters with that suppressor? .
Damn you! Not that I want the hog population you have down there, but I have had friends go to Tx for just that reason! Hell, it's been a typical winter, less snow, more wind. Where in Ne are your in-laws from?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Texas.

I think I will open carry a pistol tomorrow. I live in a free state.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LOL. Come to Idaho. Guns are more than welcome here.

http://www.the-minuteman.org/sites/default/files/Barron%20Barnett/DSC_0831.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't wait to get out of here to a free state.

LOL. Come to Idaho. Guns are more than welcome here.

http://www.the-minuteman.org/sites/default/files/Barron%20Barnett/DSC_0831.jpg

ya, but your women are pretty ugly. no homo
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Paulbots gonna paulbot

Gr
View Quote

Johnsontards gonna Johnsontard

19 Republicans, 11 Democrats. Tx needed 2 dems jumping party line. "Libertarians" persuaded all of them to vote D Party platform with TSRA D+ rated Nevarez. It's all over MSM and social media. Wouldn't be surprised if Wendy Davis, Holder and FBHO called on every dem Senator to vote party line.

Shocking, they are Ferguson Occupy copblock and have many apologists.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought Texas was as free as it get's
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

19 Republicans, 11 Democrats. Tx needed 2 dems jumping party line. "Libertarians" persuaded all of them to vote D Party platform with TSRA D+ rated Nevarez. It's all over MSM and social media. Wouldn't be surprised if Wendy Davis, Holder and FBHO called on every dem Senator to vote party line.

http://youtu.be/MbfxRQRQOTY

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Paulbots gonna paulbot

Gr

http://youtu.be/MbfxRQRQOTY

Here is your Open Carry Messiah! He is the one that will bring you to the promise land and give you Cheeto Dust and Mountain Dew!

Nice work folks!

Al Jazeera's story on Kory Watkins' actions as an "Extreme Cop Watcher"

Another Prophet of Open Carry!

+6

Jacob Cordova flashes the peace sign in front of two Texas police officers while he carries a weapon strapped to his back

Cardova was arrested last week after he pulled up to film a traffic stop while carrying a black powder revolver on his hip - which he says is legal under Texas law

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My first choice is open carry, and I hope that by some miracle it gets to the floor for a vote.

I don't support campus carry, because I fundamentally oppose carve outs for special interest groups.

But I will say, the epic amount of butt hurt I am seeing here from certain members (inclusing those in-austin) makes up for the let down.  
View Quote
So, you don't support doing away with a category of "gun-free zone".

Uh huh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey Texas.

View Quote

Yeah, good luck with that. Your state has its own issues.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Wait that can't be true.  Our liberty squad assured us that OC of a rifle everywhere would guarantee moar freedoms!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: My wife and I were actually planning on moving to Texas and investing in the Texas Economy. I was scouting property and jobs. My wife was really excited to open a CPA Firm in Texas. But instead we're going to take our money (skin in the game) and go else where. Texas just lost two conservative latinos.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that, best of luck wherever you guys land...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
You know this whole thing is kinda odd.

On one hand you have states like Virginia and many others where OC has been legal for generations where more gun owners than I'd like to admit look down their noses at OCers. We have had numerous polls on OC here in GD and they bear-out my thoughts in both votes and comments.

I OC a lot more than CC these days. Hopefully I don't come across as tard while doing so but I've yet to see anyone look twice.

On the other hand you have a state like Texas that has not enjoyed OC in generations but get all butt-hurt when a individual or group OCs a long gun in a way that does not suit them. Hurts the "cause" they say.

I submit that you can't have it both ways but it seems that is exactly what is going on in the gun owning community. "A house divided" and all that. OC, use it in a sane way or lose it.  

As for the fool that threatened the reprehensive it seems to me Texans need to police their own when they get out of line like that. There has been more than one occasion where a VCDL member has been taken aside and pointedly reminded which side his bread is buttered on. There are always yahoos in any movement.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Texas.

I'm sorry... what was that?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Uh huh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first choice is open carry, and I hope that by some miracle it gets to the floor for a vote.

I don't support campus carry, because I fundamentally oppose carve outs for special interest groups.

But I will say, the epic amount of butt hurt I am seeing here from certain members (inclusing those in-austin) makes up for the let down.  

Uh huh.

Not if does not apply to everyone.

Equal protection under the law and all that...
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top