Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 9:49:24 AM EDT
What caused this gas price jump? Yesterday gas went from 1.75 to 2.05 and than rose another 10 cents last night, winter storm?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Obama.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone sneezed in the middle east.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Obama.
View Quote

LOL.

(I mean, if you didn't say it I would have)

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Local guys trying to make money off the Atex gas line explosion?  Local market conditions?  Etc.

ETA parody thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Snowmageddon
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Greed
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What caused this gas price jump? Yesterday gas went from 1.75 to 2.05 and than rose another 10 cents last night, winter storm?
View Quote
Fuels are transported for most of the distance through pipelines.  The end of the pipeline or terminal has a bit of fixed storage.  If the inventory there is increasing, prices will fall.  When the inventory falls faster than it can be replaced, prices rise.

Things that impact pipeline price are pipeline utilization and refinery price.  

One more impact on retail price is trucking.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Florida isn't having this storm, and gas went from 1.95 to 2.04 yesterday here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't think it would've lasted this long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Snowmageddon
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
This time if it goes back up it's going to go nice and high.  So many small producers and shale companies already got outed... when prices increase and supply dwindles, it's going to be real interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Snow and what not.  Salad days are over....
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't one of the OPEC asshole say that the bottom had been reached?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I heard on the local news that gas price fluxuations (at least locally) are being blamed on a BP refinery that is having problems with production.

But I think we all know the real reason.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I heard on the local news that gas price fluxuations (at least localy) are being blamed on a BP refinery that is having problems with production.

View Quote
Evil oil companies found out certain grown men have excess money they spend on toys and shows intended for little girls

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#17]
The way it works here now. Today the price went up 40 cents to 215. Over the next two weeks it will go down 2-3cents a day til it reaches 175 , then jack it back up to 215.

This is the fourth ti.e it has happened. Its a complete joke and has nothing to do with anything
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, either the global oil market is more complicated than you're willing to take the time to understand or, alternatively, it's all based on absolutely nothing.

I love this place.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Up $0.06 here.
WTI is down to $45.15
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#20]
west texas intermediate is down $9/bbl over the last month.  that should more than compensate for any local production issues that may raise prices
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, either the global oil market is more complicated than you're willing to take the time to understand or, alternatively, it's all based on absolutely nothing.

I love this place.

View Quote

Not nothing, dude.  It's based on they.

In other news, RBOB futures sit at $1.30, which is basically the low of this slump.  WTI at $45.46, pretty close to the low.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Opportunistic capitalist pigs.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably has something to do with this guy:

OPEC’s El-Badri: $200 Oil Possible If There's Lack of Investment

“If you don’t invest in oil and gas, you will see more than $200,” Abdalla El-Badri said in an interview in London on Monday, without giving a timeframe. West Texas Intermediate, the U.S. crude benchmark, erased a decline of as much as 2.7 percent following his comments.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuels are transported for most of the distance through pipelines.  The end of the pipeline or terminal has a bit of fixed storage.  If the inventory there is increasing, prices will fall.  When the inventory falls faster than it can be replaced, prices rise.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folks are headed out towards North Dakota in droves apparently to work on the pipelines and storage. My cousin just left for there and will be there for a couple of years apparently
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#25]
oil is still under $50/bbl
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Really does not matter, they charge us what they want and we pay it because we have to get to work to make a living (making other people and the gov rich) .
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Warren Buffet probably had to fill up one of his limo's and made a comment about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Folks are headed out towards North Dakota in droves apparently to work on the pipelines and storage. My cousin just left for there and will be there for a couple of years apparently
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are probably crude oil collection and transport pipelines.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Really does not matter, they charge us what they want and we pay it because we have to get to work to make a living (making other people and the gov rich) .
View Quote

Isn't that the truth!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
It dropped another three cents here. Yesterday it was $1.98, now it's $1.95.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Evil oil companies found out certain grown men have excess money they spend on toys and shows intended for little girls  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard on the local news that gas price fluxuations (at least localy) are being blamed on a BP refinery that is having problems with production.

What if i told you...I've never bought any of the show merch. I mean, you probly wouldnt believe me, but i liked it as a cartoon..but then again, I've enjoyed most of Lauren fausts cartoons.

Back on topic: I didnt hear about the pipeline explosion, i just figured it was snowmaggedon causing it or something else to have such a drastic jump in 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Anadarko getting threatened with a suit for $1 billion for oil spillage????
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#33]
2.15 around here today, in a couple days it might me a 1.75 again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Pelosi get her new tax?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Isn't that the truth!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that the truth!

Yes, absolutely. They WANT to charge you 1.75 for something you were paying 3.58 a gallon for 6 months ago. They just have nice feels this quarter.

Oil is a commodity. It has a value. Folks pump it, refine it, and then they sell it. Other entities around the world do the same in a competitive manner. Tariffs, taxes, technology, politics, weather, surpluses and seasons all have an effect on gas prices...and the degrees of each of those effects are complicated and interrelated.

Are you following me so far?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh noes, the neckbeards have found oil selling now!

Kidding but I did hear on the news that oil prices were going back up, and gas prices too in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Down .02 here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Florida isn't having this storm, and gas went from 1.95 to 2.04 yesterday here.
View Quote

No storm here either and we went from $1.69 to $2.19 while I was at work...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#39]
our costco was still at $1.78 today, while all others was $2.15
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]
So can we blame that Kenyan tyrant now?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuel oil prices went up 14 cents since saturday here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Huh?  I just dropped gas below $2 at the grage yesterday.

OP where in the hell in WV was gas $1.75?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds strange but I hope it goes back up and stabilizes at a price just high enough to get the politicians to SHUT THE FUCK UP about increasing taxes on gas.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#44]
still dropping here.  My buddy told me it was 1.65 back in Ohio a couple days ago.  That place IS gas now though lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Why do gas stations by the highway jack their gas prices up?

Mobil station $2.47 for 93 by exit of highway.

Another station 5 minutes into town $2.21 for 93.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why do gas stations by the highway jack their gas prices up?

View Quote

because they can

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Well EXXI stock went up 12% today

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
The oil patch kids stomped their feet and held their breath.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yes, absolutely. They WANT to charge you 1.75 for something you were paying 3.58 a gallon for 6 months ago. They just have nice feels this quarter.

Oil is a commodity. It has a value. Folks pump it, refine it, and then they sell it. Other entities around the world do the same in a competitive manner. Tariffs, taxes, technology, politics, weather, surpluses and seasons all have an effect on gas prices...and the degrees of each of those effects are complicated and interrelated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that the truth!

You're kiddin', right? This is GD. Everybody knows that Obummer sets the price of gasoline and those billionaire oil companies dance with glee as Americans are bilked out of their hard earned duckets. Look at their revenues...never mind the amount of product they sell...or that the price is cheaper than bottled water.

Having the governments of all the states on the eastern seaboard declare the end of the world might have made the retailers think they might have to wait on resupply. Less availability commands higher prices. They'll drop back down tomorrow. Hell, WTI is at $46.23 and has been around $45.00 for the past couple days.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top