Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude my mother called me this am and she has over 20 inches of snow where she is on Long Island.
Sorry but 20 inches of snow is a big deal on Long Island.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In my town the school is open but the post office is closed due to the storm.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Got about 1.5 feet of snow overnight, and it's still snowing and is supposed to keep snowing until tomorrow morning.  I'll be over 2 feet soon, I bet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All the news? programs ranting about how bad the weather is there, all the cities shutting down

YET

I saw NOTHING to warrant shutting down anything, I think Boston had the most snow 11"

All the streets were clear, snow covered but cleared, and they put on a TRAVEL BAN ? ? ?

What a bunch of MORANS.

I can't believe how screwed we are as a country.
View Quote
This stuff happens because the citizens go ape-shit when they don't receive enough warning from the gov. around a weather event, and then there is political blow-back. Bloomberg got everything short of castrated for the city's response to Sandy and other huge snowstorm from a few years back.

So now, obviously, every threat of snow becomes an armageddon / shut down everything scenario.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Because it's good to learn from the past.

Blizzard of '78...

The storm killed approximately 100 people in the Northeast and injured around 4,500. The storm also caused over US$520 million (US$1.88 billion in present terms) in damage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ya so 60 mph winds and drifts up to 4ft life should just be normal in major metropolitan cities.

What's wrong with you ?

It's like these idiots way the hell up in Maine with populations of 4 people saying 3 ft is just another Tuesday while they sit home all day and wait for .gov cheese.

it's a little different when you have populations of over 200k people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the news? programs ranting about how bad the weather is there, all the cities shutting down

YET

I saw NOTHING to warrant shutting down anything, I think Boston had the most snow 11"
All the streets were clear, snow covered but cleared, and they put on a TRAVEL BAN ? ? ?

What a bunch of MORANS.

ya so 60 mph winds and drifts up to 4ft life should just be normal in major metropolitan cities.

What's wrong with you ?

It's like these idiots way the hell up in Maine with populations of 4 people saying 3 ft is just another Tuesday while they sit home all day and wait for .gov cheese.

It's winter, snowstorms happen.  Yes, it is best that people be advised against travel and sit at home for a day or two if the snow gets heavy or the visibility bad.  It's only a major annoyance for those who have to be out in it, because it is part of their job.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me of all the rest of the stupid regulations - penalize EVERYBODY cause of the stupid few.

What ever became of being responsible for YOUR ACTIONS!

I know I live in a dream world., far far away from the cidiots
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Now they're scrambling, and falling all over themselves, explaining how they "really didn't fuck up the forecast."

They get to believing their own hyped-up shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Hype for ratings that only accomplishes scaring the shit out of people, particularly older folks.

Shame on those assholes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's your Nanny looking out for your safety and well being.  "There, there, come here, my little lamb and let me comb out your fleece."
View Quote

This...nanistatism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
We even get automated phone calls from our nanny (state) government, which I don't bother to answer.

Fuck 'em, they aren't going to do anything for me, anyway, except maybe tell me to go to a shelter, which I won't do.

I say, again, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Some people don't even have a flashlight at home.

We hype and make all kinds of stupid laws, but we never let Darwin do his job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh, their cities their rules.

Better to tend to your own knitting in MO......#snowmenmatter
View Quote

I don't know what ops smoking anyways.
11 inches of snow damn near shuts everything down here too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]
NFL to investigate allegations that Patriots let the air out of Winter Storm Juno.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote

i agree what a bunch of pussies
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe half a foot here.  Meh,  dusting.  Ontario County.

But if TX got this much snow, every vehicle in the state would be on its roof.  

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/shadowsith331/GIF%20Random/jlaw-okay_zps499caa5f.gif

he's right,..... you know
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Reminds me of all the rest of the stupid regulations - penalize EVERYBODY cause of the stupid few.

What ever became of being responsible for YOUR ACTIONS!

I know I live in a dream world., far far away from the cidiots

View Quote

i think it has a lot to do with the storm that western ny area got in november.  it was intense and the worse I've ever been through..  talking people dead and buildings collapsing (reminder..our local code has snow load for roof structures )

it isn't always the amount of snow that falls, rather than the amount of snow that falls between a certain time period

3 feet of snow over a span of a5 days is nothing,  really isn't

3 feet of snow over a span of 5 hours, yea...  get fucked.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, their cities their rules.

Better to tend to your own knitting in MO......#snowmenmatter

I don't EVER recall a travel BAN,

At least SOME here are smart enough to know to stay home if they're not capable of negotiating a foot of snow.
Those of us who can , do
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote

you should think some more.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/blizzard-of-2015-snow-totals-who-has-the-most/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Left work last nite approx 10:30 travelled about 15 miles to get home,10 of those were on the parkway. I'd say weather conditions warranted a travel ban.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Were being conditioned to panic and plea for help at the slightest hint of anything out of the norm.

View Quote

Exactly +1

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe half a foot here.  Meh,  dusting.  Ontario County.

But if TX got this much snow, every vehicle in the state would be on its roof.  

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/shadowsith331/GIF%20Random/jlaw-okay_zps499caa5f.gif

It's true.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Shelter in place, shelter in place!!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/blizzard-of-2015-snow-totals-who-has-the-most/

ar-jedi

Just repeating what the 'news' media was saying this morning -  measuring along the SIDE of the road - hmmmm I wonder why the snow is deeper there
They were also talking about the BLIZZARD / White-out conditions, when i could see for a block or more behind them.
If your gonna report the  'end of the world'  at LEAST try and get some decent footage or stay INSIDE where I can't see that your FOS
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just repeating what the 'news' media was saying this morning -  measuring along the SIDE of the road - hmmmm I wonder why the snow is deeper there
They were also talking about the BLIZZARD / White-out conditions, when i could see for a block or more behind them.
If your gonna report the  'end of the world'  at LEAST try and get some decent footage or stay INSIDE where I can't see that your FOS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

ar-jedi

wait, first you complain that the media was ranting about how bad the storm would be, but then you complain about how you trusted their reporting and embarrassed yourself on ARFCOM?

lulz.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
11 inches? I've got double that plus some. I'm not knocking the shutdown of Boston. The seas have been a bit bad also. Blew out some of the seawalls. I'm coastal but we rise a bit higher, faster in altitude but other towns aren't as fortunate. And the winds have been strong, still blowing things around. The only benefit if you can call it that was it's been colder than they thought so the snow is more compact (smaller flakes) so the depth (short 1 foot as predicted for my area) and weight isn't so bad but the drifts are getting pretty high.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Its because if they don't over react and just react and expect people to do the right thing and they don't and shit goes sideways its "why didn't the state stop everything. we must blame those in charge for not protecting us from our own stupidity."

The state simply cant rely on the populous  to act accordingly and not be fucking retards.
View Quote

My exact thoughts.  Either one the government in this case doesn't win.  Err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

wait, first you complain that the media was ranting about how bad the storm would be, but then you complain about how you trusted their reporting and embarrassed yourself on ARFCOM?

lulz.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

ar-jedi

lulz.

ar-jedi

Sorry , I didn't realize your avatar was a family pic.
It's OK for you to rely on gov to take care of you, just don't expect me and mine to go along.
be patient they will deliver your gov cheese soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Pure politics pushing the global warming/climate change bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's OK for you to rely on gov to take care of you, just don't expect me and mine to go along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

ar-jedi

lulz.

ar-jedi

Did you hit your head real hard or something? A lot more than 11" of snow has fallen in most areas the storm passed over.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]
gotta admit, I find it hilarious hearing the southerners talking shit about the northeast handled a blizzard. aren't you guys the ones that had your entire region crippled by like 5 inches of snow not long ago? up here plows don't even bother coming out until there's 4 or so inches, they just put down salt and call it good and kids don't get a snow day until there's 8+ inches of snow. so really, who are the pussies when it comes to snow?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty near 2 feet here today. Meh.

Me & the boy went out back in full battle rattle, built a shelter and cooked ramen noodles with Cholula over a fire. The girls brought us warm strawberry pie and one of my hard ciders for me. Great day.

Cancelled school for the kids 2 days straight while the missus & me are trying to have a quality staycation. That's the only thing that sucks.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

The high concentration of liberals is the problem.
It's funny that a guy from MO is critical of the response of libtard areas in the NE to a snowstorm. It would be even funnier to see how the cities in MO would react to getting 12" of snow at once.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What's wrong with you ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

What's wrong with you ?

No .gov cheese here fuckwad
Grow a set
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
gotta admit, I find it hilarious hearing the southerners talking shit about the northeast handled a blizzard. aren't you guys the ones that had your entire region crippled by like 5 inches of snow not long ago? up here plows don't even bother coming out until there's 4 or so inches, they just put down salt and call it good and kids don't get a snow day until there's 8+ inches of snow. so really, who are the pussies when it comes to snow?
View Quote

Gee, I remember several threads over the last few weeks about these huge pileups up north due to snow and ice.

Yeah, y'all just plowed right on through when the weather turned to shit.

Sounds like being a pussy might be the smarter thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Gee, I remember several threads over the last few weeks about these huge pileups up north due to snow and ice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol didn't say we don't have our share of dumbasses
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I believe it has something to do with New England having deflated balls. Just sayin
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everybody wants to whip their pecker out and measure it when winter comes around.  But in reality, if there was no electricity, plows, natural gas, etc., "smart" people from any region dumped in Maine would pretty much be equal after one season of learning how to deal with it.

Just like you would learn to deal with all the things you don't have there:  Water moccasins, copperheads, ticks, chiggers, timber that won't split easily, drought, and yankees that want to tell you how they can do it better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote

What would people be saying if they said nothing and it turned into a BLAMO of a storm?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Grow a set
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

What's wrong with you ?

Grow a set

No shit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top