Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2015 9:24:57 AM EDT
All the news? programs ranting about how bad the weather is there, all the cities shutting down

YET

I saw NOTHING to warrant shutting down anything, I think Boston had the most snow 11"
All the streets were clear, snow covered but cleared, and they put on a TRAVEL BAN ? ? ?

What a bunch of MORANS.

I can't believe how screwed we are as a country.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I watched about 20 seconds of CNN's "BLIZZARDMOBILE CAM" last night... which was basically just a camera on an SUV driving around clear streets in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got over 20" in my yard so far (less than 40 mins from Boston), and there's many hours to go.   Boston is still supposed to get upto 24".   In the city the issue is clearing the snow as there's nowhere to put it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Rush Limbaugh says its because the NWS is controlled by liberals.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Weather isn't supposed to happen in cities.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Dry run to see how the peasants respond to Martial Law?

*tightens tin foil*

Not as funny as it sounded in my head earlier I guess

And yes, ETA for spelling
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh, their cities their rules.

Better to tend to your own knitting in MO......#snowmenmatter
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It wouldn't have anything to do with getting getting federal money would it?  You can't have a disaster without claiming it first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Its because if they don't over react and just react and expect people to do the right thing and they don't and shit goes sideways its "why didn't the state stop everything. we must blame those in charge for not protecting us from our own stupidity."

The state simply cant rely on the populous  to act accordingly and not be fucking retards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dry run to see how the peasants respond to Marshal Law?

*tightens tin foil*
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dry run to see how the peasants respond to Marshal Law?

*tightens tin foil*
View Quote

Martial, as in military or combat,  like martial arts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
That Jack! from New York City want's to control your lives. Next thing he will do is send out mobile shower trucks to every neighborhood and street corner. Don't trust anybody. Remember " If Jesus had a gun he would still be alive!" (Homer Simpson).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#13]
It's your Nanny looking out for your safety and well being.  "There, there, come here, my little lamb and let me comb out your fleece."
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Nothing else in the news atm so run with what you got.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#15]
hype...Hype...HYPE!!!

Watch the Channel X News Team for more rehashed hype on the latest snow hype-ocylypse and all the latest commercials.  Watch the Channel X News Team.  We wear suits.  And we're multicultural, so we know things.

The government says they have this under control, but HYPE!  Keep watching for more news.  And commercials.  The government says they will save you.  You need government.  You love government.  And hype!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The news channels are reporting about it endlessly because, well, that's where they all live.

"We're talking about the Northeast here, not stupid flyover country!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the news? programs ranting about how bad the weather is there, all the cities shutting down

YET

I saw NOTHING to warrant shutting down anything, I think Boston had the most snow 11"
All the streets were clear, snow covered but cleared, and they put on a TRAVEL BAN ? ? ?

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote

Hell, they close the schools here if we get an inch or two of snow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep. Pisses me off to no end.

Where is my damn snow you said I was getting?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#19]
meh . . . it's parked off-shore and will continue to dump wind and snow on Northern

New England for some time .

This aint over
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#20]
News stations need to over hype anything to keep ratings up.

the wife was annoyed at me last night when I told her that the local news forecast of 8 to 12 was BS. Wunderground was saying 1 inch which was accurate.

Politicians need to pander to media generated hysteria. It's not just weather. Look at Ferguson, Ebola, gun violence.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#21]
its retarded
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
it's snowing pretty hard right now. I just let my black lab out to pee and he came back looking like this
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Wait till the mayor deploys the Kool Aid trucks. Then all will be happy!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#24]
city people problems
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I honestly heard on CNN  last night "We'll have information soon on how YOU can help those affected".

So now we're taking up a collection to buy everyone rock salt and shovels?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Prudent precautions.

They were predicting 30 - 36" by me, and as we all know, meteorologists are seldom wrong.

Plus, Liberal Democrats are at their happiest when they get to ban something.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its because if they don't over react and just react and expect people to do the right thing and they don't and shit goes sideways its "why didn't the state stop everything. we must blame those in charge for not protecting us from our own stupidity."

The state simply cant rely on the populous  to act accordingly and not be fucking retards.
View Quote

Bingo

In Raleigh 1 or 2 years ago during the icepockalipse they interview some dumb twat who was walking in heels down 440 and took life protecting shelter in a hotel near an offramp.  She had waited longer at work to leave because she thought it wasn't as bad as the governor was saying and she could drive normal speeds....she abandoned her car on the highway and the state towed it home for her....she was crying on the camera like she had just lost her house to a tornado

Government needs to intervene at times....not everyone is an a arfcom level 5 prepper with saw, snow chains, 40 gallons water, shoulder fired weapon system, beer and condoms in their daily driver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote
not one snow flake last night lol..

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#29]
As usual, overhyped.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#30]
TV news and weather coverage is not about the news or weather.

It is about selling themselves

That being said the OP  is more than welcome to come and help me dig out from this mess
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#31]
By suggesting people do not travel today, they are making it much easier to keep the roads clear as the storm progresses. It also keeps down the number of "idiot hits telephone pole" emergency calls, which can cause problems.

I agree that the news hype is stupid, but the goal of reducing traffic on the roads during the storm is a good one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

YET

What a bunch of MORANS.

View Quote

Those morans are probably waiting for the remaining day of constant snowfall...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
three driving forces:
1. News is now just a means by which networks sell advertising time. The more/bigger the news the better.

2. Politicians in cities are measured by the amount and duration of inconvenience they allow into the lives of those who reside in the city.  Better to overreact, and let the storm under deliver than to look unprepared.

3. Humanity is incredibly stupid.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#34]

While we won't meet their predictions, in all fairness, it is still snowing here.

I'm glad I got to leave early last night and didn't have to go in today. Hopefully the roads will be decent tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Most of human civilization, some good and some bad, has been based upon the repression of the effects of estrogen.  Sadly, the days of repressing estrogen/estradiol, are over.  The hysteria, originally thought to be the result of the womb wandering throughout the body, associated with snow is just a little evidence.  Suspending Johnny for nibbling his pastry into the shape of an "L" is more.  Different sides of the same coin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#36]
National Weather Service and NASA are currently under the guiding(demanding)hand of
a tyranicall government demanding the global climate change, global warming, global cooling, expected mini ice age etc..
be the tone, the order, the drill and the warning of the day  PERIOD regardless of the facts. regadless of the fudged and
discredited number, graphs and modules..
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

While we won't meet their predictions, in all fairness, it is still snowing here.

I'm glad I got to leave early last night and didn't have to go in today. Hopefully the roads will be decent tomorrow.

View Quote

Snowing

January

New England

shocking and "unexpected"???

I remember the drive way edges having snow pack in June after being stacked 8' in February and parking lot lights still surrounded with snow/ice into August

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Snowing

January

New England

I remember the drive way edges having snow pack in June after being stacked 8' in February and parking lot lights still surrounded with snow/ice into August

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowing

January

New England

What are you?   Some kind of Global Warming Denier?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
it's snowing pretty hard right now. I just let my black lab out to pee and he came back looking like this
http://www.blinkydog.com/wp-content/uploads/great-Pyrenean-Mountain-Dog1.jpg
View Quote

Love those dogs. I got a Pyrennes Mix. Less fur.
_____

I just tuned into CBS and they were saying 20in already with hours to go and up to 75mph winds. That's a pretty decent storm worthy of cancelled flights, schools, and urging the public to stay inside. All that compounded by the fact that the cities don't have anywhere to put the snow once they get around to plowing it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It wouldn't have anything to do with getting getting federal money would it?  You can't have a disaster without claiming it first.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

By suggesting people do not travel today, they are making it much easier to keep the roads clear as the storm progresses. It also keeps down the number of "idiot hits telephone pole" emergency calls, which can cause problems.

View Quote

I agree that the news hype is stupid, but the goal of reducing traffic on the roads during the storm is a good one.
This.  While I firmly believe life goes on during winter, there are some folks who just don't have any business out driving around in a snow storm.  They are the ones who eventually fulfill prophecy and wind up in a ditch or utility pole.  

Of course local government needs to be prepared to act and actually put that tax money to good use by getting roads passable and reasonably safe.  Nothing thrills me more than seeing all the plow trucks parked at the City Garage while our local streets get turned into a sheet of solid ice by people driving on the snow.  Plow drivers shouldn't expect to work banker's hours.  And administrators and supervisors who can't do even the most basic of snow removal tasks during an emergency are nothing but ballast to be dumped during the next tight budget cycle.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
" />

OMG OMG RUN!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bingo

In Raleigh 1 or 2 years ago during the icepockalipse they interview some dumb twat who was walking in heels down 440 and took life protecting shelter in a hotel near an offramp.  She had waited longer at work to leave because she thought it wasn't as bad as the governor was saying and she could drive normal speeds....she abandoned her car on the highway and the state towed it home for her....she was crying on the camera like she had just lost her house to a tornado

Government needs to intervene at times....not everyone is an a arfcom level 5 prepper with saw, snow chains, 40 gallons water, shoulder fired weapon system, beer and condoms in their daily driver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Around there it isn't uncommon.  Even for (especially for?) FUDDs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
meh . . . it's parked off-shore and will continue to dump wind and snow on Northern
New England for some time .

This aint over
View Quote

Yup. Stop stupid people from doing stupid things sooner, rather than later, means less stupid shit to deal with when it gets worse.

Growing up in NH, I really only recall a "non-essential travel ban" once that I remember, but that was due to a sudden ice storm that flash froze pretty much everything in sight over night. It was surreal...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#46]

I like this one Visit Florida.com on a taxi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#47]
The East Coast is more important than anywhere on the planet, other than Hollywood.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey Ma, did you watch Dancing with the Stars last night ?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Just natures way of culling the herd.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature, (thunder clasp).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#50]
It's easier having people stay home during heavy snow falls... why?  Because it makes cleaning roads so much fucken easier.

The worst thing is when you have a highway full of cars under snow... it takes forever and tons of money to go around and free each one up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top