BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to Army Times, the story is bullshit. Hopefully it's the Army Times story that's bullshit.

Army Times story
View Quote

ARMY TIMES
"A GANNET COMPANY"

There's your fucking PROBLEM.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
American Griper
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Manning
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds on favorite.

Maybe he can bunk with Chelsea what's-his-name.

Manning

Yea, I know...just typing his/her name make's me sick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yea, I know...just typing his/her it's name make's me sick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds on favorite.

Maybe he can bunk with Chelsea what's-his-name.

Manning

Yea, I know...just typing his/her it's name make's me sick.

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If the Army Times had factually accurate articles, I would be assigned a new rifle and camo pattern every year. I'd believe a news release with no corroborating reports from DU or militarycorruption.com before I believe Army Times.

Army Times is good for 2 things: Tracking who's getting promoted and puff peice interviews with the brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Army Times, the story is bullshit. Hopefully it's the Army Times story that's bullshit.

Army Times story

If the Army Times had factually accurate articles, I would be assigned a new rifle and camo pattern every year. I'd believe a news release with no corroborating reports from DU or militarycorruption.com before I believe Army Times.

Army Times is good for 2 things: Tracking who's getting promoted and puff peice interviews with the brass.

Sorry, my Internet sarcasm is off today. It was for those that always felt that army times was the gospel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Army Times story
View Quote

Fiddlesticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang it.  

Sorry guys,
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
NBC is reporting it as well.  

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bowe-bergdahl-be-charged-desertion-officials-say-n294466

A lot of other sources are parroting the O'Reilly report.  If the Army or politicians decide not to charge him now it's going to be a PR nightmare.
View Quote

Well, i like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But wait... according to Susan Rice, he served with "honor and distinction."

Link  

Yeah.  

She should never have been offered another government job after the Benghazi debacle.  
View Quote

What are the lives of four nobodies in the grand scheme of things?  #blackpoliticalcareersmatter
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think the Army wants shed of him with as little said about it as possible. I'm thinking dishonorable discharge,forfeiture of all pay,NDA signed so he can't speak about what he did and hope he overdoses or jumps from a bridge.

A court martial is opening up the wrath of Washington on those who will be doing the embarrassing.
View Quote

Dishonorable Discharge is the result of a General Court Martial.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
fuck him and FBHO
View Quote

x 100,000,000!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
In. Fuck him and FBHO!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Does this asshole have ANY collaborating evidence in his defense?

All I've heard was that is guy was kind of a weirdo from the beginning and then slowly started hanging out with the ANA and terps more than his platoon. Then one night walked off the COP without his SI.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But wait... according to Susan Rice, he served with "honor and distinction."

Link  

Yeah.  

She should never have been offered another government job after the Benghazi debacle.  
View Quote

She was offered another government job because of the Benghazi debacle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The guy in charge of the investigation is a 1980 Princeton grad, multi-war combat veteran, ect. and my former Brigade Commander.....

http://i.imgur.com/Ufj7BOd.jpg
View Quote

Badass, and a Long Tabber, which means he doesn't quit unlike Bergdahl.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Watch Obama pardon him on his last day in office.
View Quote

This will happen if convicted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Arfcom called it first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Arfcom called it first.
View Quote

I heard about .mil plane crash on ARF. My buddy was in the take off queue when I texted.  He couldn't believe how fast and how I found out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why did we bother trading for him then?
View Quote

Fit an agenda at the time. Got five "activists" out of Gitmo. Obama made a promise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Disclaimer: Civilian here, never served.

Obama spent a lot of political capitol on this asshole, even broke the law alongside the Army in the process of getting him back. The Army know from the get-go he deserted yet promoted him twice. This isn't going to Courts martial, too much shit will be splattered all over Army brass and Obama minions.

There will be a deal made and he'll quietly leave the Army. General Discharge, maybe lose the back pay or he may keep it if he agrees to keep his mouth shut about the whole thing, no book deals and such.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
what is the punishment if he is convicted?
View Quote

Can be death if in ime of war, other wise as Court-Martial directs.  (I looked it up this afternoon for a goof on facebook.)  You can expect his lawyers to quibble over "Time of War" to avoid the Death Panalty, but I would bet it's going to be around 20 to life considering the deaths when trying to "rescue" him.

What do you get for badly embarrassing POTUS?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does this asshole have ANY collaborating evidence in his defense?

All I've heard was that is guy was kind of a weirdo from the beginning and then slowly started hanging out with the ANA and terps more than his platoon. Then one night walked off the COP without his SI.
View Quote

If he collaborated, he better keep his yap shut about it.  Not much you can have in  corraborating, in mitigation or extenuation.

Article 85—Desertion

a. Text of statute.

(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) trimmed - not applicable

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any othertime  by such punishment , other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

b.  Elements.

(1) Desertion with intent to remain away permanently.

(a) That the accused absented himself or herself from his or her unit, organization, or place of duty;

(b) That such absence was without authority;

(c) That the accused, at the time the absence began or at some time during the absence, intended to remain away from his or her unit, organization, or place of duty permanently; and

(d) That the accused remained absent until the date alleged.

[Note: If the absence was terminated by apprehension, add the following element]

(e) That the accused’s absence was terminated by apprehension.

(2) Desertion with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service.

(a) That the accused quit his or her unit, organization, or other place of duty;

(b) That the accused did so with the intent to avoid a certain duty or shirk a certain service;

(c) That the duty to be performed was hazardous or the service important;

(d) That the accused knew that he or she would be required for such duty or service; and

(e) That the accused remained absent until the date alleged

Explanations, etc continue on page IV-11 of Manual For Courts 2012 edition http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/mcm.pdf
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard that maybe the Army and Zero can dodge out by "he needs further psychological and physical care"
That could go on ad infinitum.

Hope not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Desertion in combat can be a death penalty case, right?
View Quote

Yes and no.

Here is the maximum punishment for Article 85 - Desertion

1) Completed or attempted desertion with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

(2) Other cases of completed or attempted desertion.

(a) Terminated by apprehension. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years.

(b) Terminated otherwise. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.

(3) In time of war. Death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

If convicted, Bergdahl's lawyer will argue that military actions in The Stan were not during "a time of war."  The lawyer will argue that The Stan was a military engagement authorized by Congress -  Congress passed the "Authorization for Use of Military Force against Terrorists (AUMF)" and a "Declaration of War," by Congress, never took place.  

On the other hand, Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution prescribes no specific format for what form of legislation must have in order to be considered a "Declaration of War."   But there exists legal precedent -  Doe v. Bush.  The ruling stated, "[T]he text of the October Resolution itself spells out justifications for a war and frames itself as an 'authorization' of such a war."  In laypeople terms. . . .an authorization suffices for declaration and that a formal Congressional "Declaration of War" was not required by the Constitution.

The War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Spanish-American War, WWI and WWII were "formally" declared wars.

On a side note. . .having served 24+ years, two of the most disgusting things in the military are mother fuckers that go AWOL or commit acts of desertion.  

I'll provide some reality.  The U.S. Army has prosecuted about 1,900 cases of desertion since 2001, despite tens of thousands of soldiers fleeing the service.  More than 20,000 US Army soldiers have been "dropped from the rolls" as deserters since 2006.  Those figures are strictly Army and do not account for 2007 to present.  Try to fathom the numbers from the Navy, Marines, and Air Force.  There has been one person, since the Civil War, that has been executed for desertion.  

My personal feeling. . . . . Bergdahl will walk.  One way or another he will walk free.

FBHO and his pet, Bergdahl.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With a rusty, AIDS blood encrusted chain saw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that guy right in the ass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

With a rusty, AIDS blood encrusted chain saw

Woah, easy there, bro.  Think it through.  AIDS takes a long time to die and with today's medicine.  Heck, he will likely survive.  I recommend Ebola.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I heard on the news yesterday that the Army is denying he is going to be charged with desertion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I heard on the news yesterday that the Army is denying he is going to be charged with desertion.
View Quote

They denied that a decision has been made and that their is no time line.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Some navy big shot was on FOX saying no decision etc. Pentagon spokesman maybe
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I hope that the facts are presented without prejudice or passion and that justice is the result.

I have confidence that despite political pressure the military will do the right thing here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
So,
NBC reported it as well, yesterday. LTC Shaffer standing by his story according to the big stupid fucking leprechaun on fox news.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top