BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some day. I just dont own one and its not in my budget right now.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance of the same 2 tests with a 20" AR?

I would loan you a 20" upper for testing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay maybe my sensors are miscalibrated.  wouldn't be the first time.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
dont use AR500 as body armor if you give a shit about living through being shot with a varmint rifle and one specific ammo type.

that is all.

anybody that tells you different is trying to sell you something.
View Quote

FTFY
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so are you a paying industry member?  

Cause we keep getting directed to your channel which i assume you make money for.

View Quote

Wow the Grunge has finally leached into your brain.  Interesting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice video OP. Even with chatter it was shorter than the Nutnfancy theme song.

Have you done this with the jelly behind it? Interested to see what the penetration looks like after clearing that, plus spall effects.
View Quote

Good heavens, when did your legion of sycophants get you reinstated?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the video OP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So you would not trust AR500 steel armor to save you in a gang related home invasion where threats have handguns, assuming the armor was struck by a bullet?

It's all about preparing for specific threats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

listen, or dont.

frankly, I dont care what you do.

keep debating this bullshit because you think you can save a buck on armor.

you are only fooling yourselves (well, and some newbies who might listen to you)

your life is in you own hands.

So you would not trust AR500 steel armor to save you in a gang related home invasion where threats have handguns, assuming the armor was struck by a bullet?

It's all about preparing for specific threats.
The spall on a bare ar500 plate with mess you up pretty bad. I think that's what he's getting at

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's "The Wound Channel"

Seems like he's trying to sell us something.
View Quote
Look at his video history.

Is he trying to sell us gummy bears?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Interesting.

View Quote

You talk less than other gun video commentators.

I like that. Less talky, more shooty.

Ditto. I watch a lot of gun related videos on youtube and one of my biggest complaints about many of them is that the people running them have a tendency of being a bit to chatty, in my opinion. Nut n' fancy is (probably) the most well known poster boy for this pet peeve but he's certainly not the only one who's guilty of this, though.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you done this with the jelly behind it? Interested to see what the penetration looks like after clearing that, plus spall effects.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
With 300 views, I think op is safe from becoming a youtube millionaire.

I do appreciate the very informative post, though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe you get paid about $1.00 per 4,000 views.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you have a 5.45x39 rifle you could shoot at it? Based on the AR I'm pretty sure it couldn't penetrate at 25 yards but wonder about 7? Cool video again imo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, good to have a mix of barrel lengths.  A few 16", a few 20"... works for me.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay maybe my sensors are miscalibrated.  wouldn't be the first time.

View Quote

Too bad this post didn't double tap, 'cuz you can say that again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Ceramics fellas. Use ceramic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

listen, or dont.

you are only fooling yourselves (well, and some newbies who might listen to you)

View Quote

Level 3 plates offer enhanced protective ability over lll-A, stopping everything lll-A can plus more.  Over 750K LEO's hit the streets every day with lll-A.  Think about that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Level 3 plates offer enhanced protective ability over lll-A, stopping everything lll-A can plus more.  Over 750K LEO's hit the streets every day with lll-A.  Think about that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
listen, or dont.

This is how I look at it. Get decent plates with some spall protection and you're better protected than almost all police officers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to see a wet phone book placed in back of the plate or at least a clean card board placed about 6" back to catch what comes out the back.  Is it a bunch of fragments and bits?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
He's just reviewing and testing plates against different common ammo selections. I've watched plenty of his videos and never seen a sales pitch. He probably does get paid for views, but I doubt he's making a living off it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's "The Wound Channel"

He's just reviewing and testing plates against different common ammo selections. I've watched plenty of his videos and never seen a sales pitch. He probably does get paid for views, but I doubt he's making a living off it.
I've never been paid anything by any company or individual.  Ever.  These videos cost me a decent amount of money, not even considering my time.  I have gotten free shit to test before, and members of this forum have sent me ammo to try out.  I paid for this plate knowing I would shoot holes in it to educate myself and others.

I have purposely not posted links to the videos which are more like a merchandise showcase, because I didn't want to post shit on here that is like a commercial.  Even though some free targets doesn't even touch what it costs me to stand on that range let alone cameras, guns, ammo, etc.

How does my channel name indicate I'm trying to sell you something?  The wound channel is the name for the path a bullet cuts through flesh, I thought it was a clever youtube channel name.  I didn't even come up with it a member of this forum did.

If I am trying to sell you something by shooting holes in body armor I've got to be the worst salesman ever lol.  Unless you think I'm trying to sell you m193 ammo and long barrels.

ETA: I clarified my first statement because I thought the quote said "paid for reviews" not paid for views.  My videos are monetized by youtube.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your location is correct shipping might be costly.  I would be glad to use it though, shoot me a PM if you have something specific in mind.  I have already filmed two more videos with this plate, it's about toast.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why didn't you back the plate up with clay as is required for such testing?

View Quote
The original test was supposed to be worst case scenario, so I rigidly clamped the plate.   After that people wanted to know what kind of difference backing the plate up would make, so I kept the same test rig so the comparison would be fair.

With all the variables of ballistic testing I don't try to chase (sometimes arbitrary) test standards, they're costly and difficult/impossible to recreate anyway.  A good example is that "official" ballistic testing like this specifically says you cannot use a firearm, and the temperature has to be 70F +- 5F.  I also don't see the point in recreating the testing that the label of this plate specifically says it already passed, I'm not untrusting of the company I'm just exploring other scenarios.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

With 300 views, I think op is safe from becoming a youtube millionaire.

I do appreciate the very informative post, though.
View Quote
So far negative it isn't even funny lol.

Sure thing!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Do you have a 5.45x39 rifle you could shoot at it? Based on the AR I'm pretty sure it couldn't penetrate at 25 yards but wonder about 7? Cool video again imo.
View Quote
No I do not, I would like to see the comparison since they're similar-ish.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'd like to see a wet phone book placed in back of the plate or at least a clean card board placed about 6" back to catch what comes out the back.  Is it a bunch of fragments and bits?
View Quote
At 7 yards it was not a bunch of fragments (even though I really thought it would be).  I think @ 25 yards it would be more fragmented, especially since the pieces that cracked my gopro housing were from the round that penetrated.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never been paid anything for any video.  Ever.  These videos cost me a decent amount of money, not even considering my time.  I have gotten free shit to test before, and members of this forum have sent me ammo to try out.  I paid for this plate knowing I would shoot holes in it to educate myself and others.  

I have purposely not posted links to the videos which are more like a merchandise showcase, because I didn't want to post shit on here that is like a commercial.  Even though some free targets doesn't even touch what it costs me to stand on that range let alone cameras, guns, ammo, etc.

How does my channel name indicate I'm trying to sell you something?  The wound channel is the name for the path a bullet cuts through flesh, I thought it was a clever youtube channel name.  I didn't even come up with it a member of this forum did.

If I am trying to sell you something by shooting holes in body armor I've got to be the worst salesman ever lol.  Unless you think I'm trying to sell you m193 ammo and long barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

I've never been paid anything for any video.  Ever.  These videos cost me a decent amount of money, not even considering my time.  I have gotten free shit to test before, and members of this forum have sent me ammo to try out.  I paid for this plate knowing I would shoot holes in it to educate myself and others.  

Please ignore the trolls and imbeciles. The rest of us appreciate a member contributing something other than their opinion on American Sniper and how silent the theater was.

I agree that placing something (ideally ballistic gel) behind the armor would be an improvement to gauging effectiveness.

Ideally, the plate would be in a carrier with and without soft armor (I believe most plates are designed to be worn in conjunction with soft armor). I understand if this is cost prohibitive.

Another thing for people to keep in mind is that bullets don't necessarily impact the target at perfect 90 degree angles in gun fights. Those plates will hold up much better if the impact angle is off a bit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've never been paid anything by any company or individual.  Ever.  These videos cost me a decent amount of money, not even considering my time.  I have gotten free shit to test before, and members of this forum have sent me ammo to try out.  I paid for this plate knowing I would shoot holes in it to educate myself and others.  

ETA: I clarified my first statement because I thought the quote said "paid for reviews" not paid for views.  My videos are monetized by youtube.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

Patchouli gets like this sometimes when he needs Snickers bar. (as do I sometimes)

Don't let the guys here get you down and dog pile you. There isn't anything wrong with your videos and I look forward to seeing more from you provided you keep it interesting and entertaining. Just don't go Nutnfancy or I will jump on the dog pile myself.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Please ignore the trolls and imbeciles. The rest of us appreciate a member contributing something other than their opinion on American Sniper and how silent the theater was.

I agree that placing something (ideally ballistic gel) behind the armor would be an improvement to gauging effectiveness.

Ideally, the plate would be in a carrier with and without soft armor (I believe most plates are designed to be worn in conjunction with soft armor). I understand if this is cost prohibitive.

Another thing for people to keep in mind is that bullets don't necessarily impact the target at perfect 90 degree angles in gun fights. Those plates will hold up much better if the impact angle is off a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's "The Wound Channel"

Lol omg it was sooooooooo silent.  I wonder if it occurred to anyone that it was probably the only movie without music during the credits.

If you watch the videos @ 7 yards it actually has everything you mentioned.  Ballistic gel, soft armor backer, chronograph.  

The idea of keeping the videos as short as possible leads me to not repeat stuff from previous videos in follow-up ones, although it makes the later ones seem incomplete.  This video was really just to see if either had a chance @ 25 yards.  You are correct repeating the gel and soft armor and everything for every scenario is cost prohibitive.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lol omg it was sooooooooo silent.  I wonder if it occurred to anyone that it was probably the only movie without music during the credits.  

If you watch the videos @ 7 yards it actually has everything you mentioned.  Ballistic gel, soft armor backer, chronograph.  

The idea of keeping the videos as short as possible leads me to not repeat stuff from previous videos in follow-up ones, although it makes the later ones seem incomplete.  This video was really just to see if either had a chance @ 25 yards.  You are correct repeating the gel and soft armor and everything for every scenario is cost prohibitive.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

Now I feel like the guy that posts without reading. I'd seen your earlier videos, but forgot. Well done.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Patchouli gets like this sometimes when he needs Snickers bar. (as do I sometimes)

Don't let the guys here get you down and dog pile you. There isn't anything wrong with your videos and I look forward to seeing more from you provided you keep it interesting and entertaining. Just don't go Nutnfancy or I will jump on the dog pile myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's "The Wound Channel"

Lol no problem.  It's actually really helpful to have the feedback even if it stings a little.  Ultimately it makes the videos better and more informative.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#34]
First off, thanks for the videos, they are informative.

Second...  Well, hell, I have nothing useful to add.  I'd love to see how ceramic and those plastic plates hold up, but I understand if that's out of your budget.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

View Quote

I'm sure he is making a fortune off of shooting ammo through body armor.

Go be the 99% somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Second...  Well, hell, I have nothing useful to add.  I'd love to see how ceramic and those plastic plates hold up, but I understand if that's out of your budget.
I actually was sent a ceramic Level IV plate by this same company, but I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet.  I don't want to waste it by hitting it with something everyone knows it would stop anyway.

Since they were nice enough to send it I want to use it for something awesome, I'm being patient for once lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

It's getting worse and worse. I joined long ago when people used to appreciate posting of info for the benefit of the community
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Where in NC are you? I've got an AK74 we could test some 5.45 7n6 ammo out of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#39]
45-70 that should be fun on a lvl 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnYNlEN_z0
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Where in NC are you? I've got an AK74 we could test some 5.45 7n6 ammo out of.
View Quote
Right near Ft Bragg

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

45-70 that should be fun on a lvl 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnYNlEN_z0
View Quote
Lol yes!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to see an 18" as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I need another axis and a hacksaw lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qw_8iWP2wio/UpeVTI8l5iI/AAAAAAAAEKI/dmTxEgArbJk/s1600/ed7.gif

Welcome back, dude!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Why didn't you back the plate up with clay as is required for such testing?

View Quote

hard plates do not require a backing material with 'give' in order to be effective/most effective.  that only applies to soft armor.  of course the other reason that a clay backing material is used in testing is to be able to measure back-face deformation but thats also not applicable here

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I actually was sent a ceramic Level IV plate by this same company, but I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet.  I don't want to waste it by hitting it with something everyone knows it would stop anyway.    

Since they were nice enough to send it I want to use it for something awesome, I'm being patient for once lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it rated to stop 338LM.?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#48]
great video.

i'd like to see just how much of the rounds are splattering out to the sides. i can't help but think of arteries in arms and legs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How much different might a 22in barreled AR be vs a bolt gun?
View Quote

6 inches
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's getting worse and worse. I joined long ago when people used to appreciate posting of info for the benefit of the community
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's "The Wound Channel"

Whatever newb....
lol
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top