Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2015 9:52:32 PM EDT
Since I live in Texas and we have no income tax, I don't know how this works.  

Anyway, for those people whose state has an income tax, my question to you is, does your state allow you to pay your income tax at one single time during the year where you can just go down to their office and write a check, or do they force withholding from your paycheck just like the IRS does?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
mine is withheld
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know. I live in a state with no income tax or sales tax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Pay at end of year in one bill. It's not bad at all either, and I live in WI, a high tax one. I don't mind it, you can go 30 feet without hitting a bike trail or some huge, big ass park system/public land.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pay at end of year.
View Quote

I didn't know that Somalia had a .gov to pay taxes to.

Who are you making rich

5 More Posts, Drill Sergeant!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
mine is withheld
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is withheld. No idea if I can just save it myself and cut a single check. I'd guess there'd be a penalty for it, if I did.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Its withheld.

F-ing state losers spend more than they bring in, and think the only answer is MOAR taxes....

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
mine is withheld
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Withheld every pay period.  File at the end of the year, just as one does with federal.  

What's sales tax right now in Texas?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Withheld every pay period.  File at the end of the year, just as one does with federal.  

View Quote

I'm more curious about his property taxes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I love giving money to the state, I know it goes to a good cause.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ny has withholding, go figure
View Quote

Penguins cannot be taxed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

8.25%
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .gov always gets theirs, whether it be property taxes or vehicle taxes or income taxes or sales taxes and the list goes on.  For instance, in North Carolina I had a vehicle property tax that was pretty hefty but my vehicle registration was only $28.  Now in Iowa I pay no vehicle tax, but my registration fee is higher than my old NC tax was
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Withheld, but not much.

Also curious about OPs sales and property tax
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Withholding in MI.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Withheld.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anyway, for those people whose state has an income tax, my question to you is, does your state allow you to pay your income tax at one single time during the year where you can just go down to their office and write a check, or do they force withholding from your paycheck just like the IRS does?  
View Quote

OREGON with holds, even if you dont live there, it is awesome
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is withheld from my check. OP, tell us what your property tax is, mine was $200 dollars last year. You being in Texas I'm sure that it was as much or more than my income tax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  Are they set up like us?  Every time the public schools racket decides they need more for their coffers, do they pass tax levees in the name of saving the children?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Withholding.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
TX property tax depends on where you live in the state, and the value of your home.  

I've seen between 2.5% and 4% of home value, most close to 4% if you live in a large city.  

It f-ing hurts just like income tax.

I've been debating downsizing my home and moving out of the area I am in just to get it down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
8.25%

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

8.25%

Incorrect.

The state sales tax is 6.25%.   Cities then have the option to tack on up to 2% extra; not all cities levy the maximum.  

One example is if you buy a vehicle at a dealer, the sales tax is 6.25%.

As for everyone wondering about property taxes, these vary widely just like anywhere else.  It's hard to provide a uniform comparison since urban property taxes are usually high while someone living in the boonies is typically low.  I cut a check for almost $5000 this year, but does that sound like a lot?  Too little?  Who the hell knows.  It depends on where I live, how large my lot and home are, how luxurious or mountain-man my furnishings are.  

I will say that in Texas, property taxes stay local.  In other words, there are some states that all property taxes go straight the state who then cuts the various cities and schools their checks.  My property taxes go straight to the city, school, etc.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Oklahoma withholds it and I don't know where it goes... State is one big giant pothole with a lazy public works system.

sales tax is as high as any other local. Property tax also high..., so go figure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#26]
We have state and local income tax.

State is withheld.  Normally town tax is also withheld, however since I work out of state, they don't withhold town income tax.  I can pay the entire local tax on April 15th without penalty
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Its withheld by default, but you can pay it all at once if you want.

The IRS doesn't exactly force withholding either.  Just max your deductions and you won't end up with much (if any) withheld.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is withheld. I have extra taken out every payday so I don't have to pay out end of year, might even get some back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The .gov always gets theirs, whether it be property taxes or vehicle taxes or income taxes or sales taxes and the list goes on.  For instance, in North Carolina I had a vehicle property tax that was pretty hefty but my vehicle registration was only $28.  Now in Iowa I pay no vehicle tax, but my registration fee is higher than my old NC tax was
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over here in Wyoming we have no state income tax, only 4% state sales tax with some counties adding 1% or 2%, and property tax is moderate I've seen chart and we are right about in the dead middle for property tax. So it isn't too bad of a place tax wise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
mine is withheld
View Quote

Was withheld in MI and I had to make estimated payments when I had a business there.

Glad to be the fuck out, every penny I paid was just flushed down and stolen by that shit hole Detroit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

The state sales tax is 6.25%.   Cities then have the option to tack on up to 2% extra; not all cities levy the maximum.  

As for everyone wondering about property taxes, these vary widely just like anywhere else.  It's hard to provide a uniform comparison since urban property taxes are usually high while someone living in the boonies is typically low. I cut a check for almost $5000 this year, but does that sound like a lot? Too little?  Who the hell knows.  It depends on where I live, how large my lot and home are, how luxurious or mountain-man my furnishings are.  

I will say that in Texas, property taxes stay local.  In other words, there are some states that all property taxes go straight the state who then cuts the various cities and schools their checks.  My property taxes go straight to the city, school, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

8.25%

Incorrect.

As for everyone wondering about property taxes, these vary widely just like anywhere else.  It's hard to provide a uniform comparison since urban property taxes are usually high while someone living in the boonies is typically low. I cut a check for almost $5000 this year, but does that sound like a lot? Too little?  Who the hell knows.  It depends on where I live, how large my lot and home are, how luxurious or mountain-man my furnishings are.  

$5000 per year is insane. I hope you live in a mansion. What is your home value?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
8.25% in Tyler (Smith County) Texas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
State income tax is withheld.  We also have county income taxes that vary by county.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

mines withheld, its also deducted off of the total federal tax you owe so you guys aren't really that special
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

mines withheld, its also deducted off of the total federal tax you owe so you guys aren't really that special
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt you get to deduct your total tax paid off your total federal tax, you just aren't taxed federally on the money you pay to the state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was ready to sell and move west of Austin about 40 miles when my agent told me the real estate tax - and told me the ranch I was planing on buying was just under $1400.

That was a bit less than my annual California tax so I had to ask a year ... nope, per month!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was ready to sell and move west of Austin about 40 miles when my agent told me the real estate tax - and told me the ranch I was planing on buying was just under $1400.

That was a bit less than my annual California tax so I had to ask a year ... nope, per month!

That's ridiculous.  There is no justification in that amount.  Mine are ridiculous and they're just about 22% of that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet fuckin' Jesus...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sweet fuckin' Jesus...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet fuckin' Jesus...

that can't be right... 16K in property taxes?     i thought 1500 a year was high
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#41]
16k in property taxes would be about right for an 800k house in Texas.

We have a 100k rent house and the property taxes on it are 2k a year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Withheld.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#43]
My house is about 120k and property tax is just over 2k.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Withheld.
At the end of the year you copy most of the information from your 1040 onto your state form & file both before 4/15.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
mine is withheld
View Quote

Mine too, since its based on % of earnings, which for alot of us changes year to year based on OT etc.

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#46]
NY is withheld
8% sales tax
Just under 3k a year for my 136k home.
One county over my mother pays almost 9k for a 220+/-k home.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
NY is withheld
8% sales tax
Just under 3k a year for my 136k home.
One county over my mother pays almost 9k for a 220+/-k home.
View Quote

Your income tax is based on house value?

Property and income taxes are mutually exclusive.

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Illinois
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Colorado, if a couple owes more than $1000 in tax, you must file quarterly.  Self employed farmer typing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I own my own company.  I withhold from each paycheck and pay it by the 15th of the following month.  Same as IRS.  Then I file paperwork with each one quarterly to confirm to them what I sent each month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top