BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What trusses?

It uses a ridge beam and rafters, so you end up with a useable loft for sleeping.  I've built a bigger structure (similar framing) with almost no help.  A crew of two or three could knock it out quickly and easily.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$70K?!?!?!?!    For that?!?!?!?!  Not bloody likely.

$7K more like it.

I thought the entire idea behind the mini-house idea was to cut costs?

Some places are more expensive than where you live.

My county, median home price is $250k...median rent is $1475.

It would cut the cost by quite a bit, in my area. Maybe not yours.

Where many people live, a $70k home is the perfect solution to many problems.

Houses are more expensive in NY we get that, but there isn't $70k worth of labor or material in that little shed. It's a boutique item being sold at boutique prices.

Slab on grade foundations are dirt cheap. Two people could frame and roof it inside of 3 days and it's so small that you could put the trusses in by hand and save on renting a crane. There's no way that thing should be $70k!

What trusses?

It uses a ridge beam and rafters, so you end up with a useable loft for sleeping.  I've built a bigger structure (similar framing) with almost no help.  A crew of two or three could knock it out quickly and easily.

My mistake! I just glossed over the first picture,before posting. Anyone know the square footage of this thing?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Grew up in a 850 sqft house in a family of four.  That place would be a real drag when the weather was crappy and you had to stay indoors for any time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I want something like that for my land down south, however I'll be looking to keep it far more affordable than the laughable prices being tossed around in this now.   Like so much it starts as a way to build an affordable space, then the Starbucks crowd decides it's "sustainable" and suddenly your paying 1/2 a normal home price for a garden shed with nice paneling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have room for all of the useless gear I buy.
View Quote

FPNI,  looks like a cool man cave but would still need a shed for all my shit
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]

The guys got it right posting picks of trailers and mobile homes for half that, and much more room!

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm going to live in a tiny home, it better float.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks cool.  Would work for a minimalist single person.  No way anyone with even a small amount to of clothes or a hobby would be able to live there.   My family downsized to a townhouse about half the size of our old house we build our new home and it's extremely stressful.  There isn't anywhere to put anything.  Shit just piles up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
YOu cna live in a three bedroom condo with a laundry machine for that much.

whazt the fuck is this overpriced communist canned human high density garbage?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone know the square footage of this thing?
View Quote

From the picture, I would guess that it is 8 to 10 foot wide, and 16 to 18 foot long.

So...  somewhere between 128 and 180 square feet, plus the sleeping loft.

ETA:  The linked article says 280 square feet, total.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like a lot of the "tiny house" concepts that have come onto the market in the last decade. One thing I've noticed though, is that almost none of them have a washer and dryer built in anywhere. Personally, I would not buy a place without the ability to do my own clothes.

If I was young and single, I'd seriously look at one of these places, more likely than not, just build my own. Smart use of space, and the money saved on utilities could be spent living a more adventurous life.
View Quote

If I had the land, I would seriously consider a small house. That one is a little on the small side, but I would not be opposed to a 30 by 30 foothouse, so long as it was very heavily insulated and had high quality doors and windows.

That tiny house concept flies out the window when you find out you have a kid on the way. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that situation yet, but it can very easily happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It would make a cool cabin. Or if you are the type to bug out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one for my property, I couldn't live in one full time.

It would make a cool cabin. Or if you are the type to bug out.

This. A vacation cabin for a few times a year. Wouldn't want to live in one though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was hoping this was about a guy that made miniatures.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I had the land, I would seriously consider a small house. That one is a little on the small side, but I would not be opposed to a 30 by 30 foothouse, so long as it was very heavily insulated and had high quality doors and windows.

That tiny house concept flies out the window when you find out you have a kid on the way. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that situation yet, but it can very easily happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like a lot of the "tiny house" concepts that have come onto the market in the last decade. One thing I've noticed though, is that almost none of them have a washer and dryer built in anywhere. Personally, I would not buy a place without the ability to do my own clothes.

If I was young and single, I'd seriously look at one of these places, more likely than not, just build my own. Smart use of space, and the money saved on utilities could be spent living a more adventurous life.

You can do a two story 20 x 20 and have a fair amount of room, though storage space may be a problem.  Split the ground floor down the middle, leaving a roughly 10 x 20 living area on one side, with kitchen, bath, and stairs on the other side.  That gives you a structural wall down the middle, so the longest piece of lumber you will need (other than rafters) is 10 foot lumber for the floor framing.  On the side that has the kitchen, bath and stairs, put the stairs between them, so that the kitchen and bath are each roughly 8 x 10 (HUGE, when compared to what is in some apartments). The upstairs would be divided in half, with a bedroom on each side of the stairs.

I tried drawing out something similar, but starting with 16 x 16, and the stairs ruin it.  A ship's ladder would probably make it work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A lot of people live like that when they are just starting out.
View Quote

Cute. Would be good for ice fishing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
progressives are obsessed with this "micro-unit housing" stuff

http://apodment.com/

its "sustainable" you know and is part of Agenda 21 to cram everyone into cities with no cars and everyone walks to the store or work
View Quote

And not own real property which for many is the key to wealth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone hasn't posted Tina Turners "Tiny Dancer" yet? Slackers
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm thinking about starting my own tiny home construction business

I will call it SerfHomes LLP
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I've noticed that about the washers & dryers, too.

A lot of towns wouldn't allow one of these to be built as the square footage is too small. That's why some are on trailers.

I definitely think that a lot of modern housing is just a waste. They're ugly, no character, too big, space not used the best way. I grew up in a 1960s ranch that was maybe about 1200 sq feet (3BR, 1 bath, living room, eat-in kitchen, no separate dining room or living room, full basement, 2 car garage added later). I know a lot of people would whine it was just too small.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm  having that same exact mini-house built right now, but I'm still working on the basement.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A lot of towns wouldn't allow one of these to be built as the square footage is too small. That's why some are on trailers.

I definitely think that a lot of modern housing is just a waste. They're ugly, no character, too big, space not used the best way. I grew up in a 1960s ranch that was maybe about 1200 sq feet (3BR, 1 bath, living room, eat-in kitchen, no separate dining room or living room, full basement, 2 car garage added later). I know a lot of people would whine it was just too small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cause hippies have no need for bathing or washing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This would be a great thing to have to spend a night or two away. Aesthetically, I would rather have a different exterior look, but the inside gives me wood

If I had a back yard like some of the people on here, it'd be great to build a platform and bench off the back for prone shooting and gun cleaning.

UFOGEL

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah you know, the interesting thing when talking to hard core advocates of tiny houses, is their constant references to McMansions and the (true) observation that the square footage of new houses has increased dramatically over the past few decades.

The thing is...there's no no need to go full retard in the other direction.

The house I live in is only about 1,500 sq ft, and with 4 of us living in here, it doesn't feel cramped at all. It's 3 bd, 1ba, separate dining room, and even has an office (or 4th bedroom if you really wanted) on the first floor. It could definitely use another bathroom upstairs (my only big complaint), but it's otherwise fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://architecture.viralnova.com/tiny-house-simple-life/

The tiny house movement is definitely gaining speed. Popular TV shows plus cool design elements and expert builders constructing beautiful, minimalist homes, more and more people are seeing the value in downsizing their spaces.

Chris Heininge is one of the key contractors who provides people with smaller, more efficient houses. He bases much of his work on a philosophy that revolves around a simple lifestyle, one that places a lower value on material possession. Since 1999, Heininge has committed to building these tiny houses, allowing people to de-clutter their lives, ultimately seeing the value in simple living.

http://images.viralnova.com/000/105/311/desktop-1420573812.jpg

http://images.viralnova.com/000/105/309/desktop-1420573810.jpg
View Quote

Attach a 40x60 shop to it and I would move in tomorrow.

I live in a ~1800 sqft house with my girlfriend, there are rooms in here we never really set foot in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Decent!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No thanks.

The only reason those would be attractive is if you came to accept that the American dream of home ownership was no longer possible without sacrificing a normal home in favor of something tiny. It also come from your whites who no longer want to have children, because no way you could house a family four in something like that.

View Quote

The movement is centered around liberalism for sure, but the "green" aspect of it isn't the primary driver, if you've spoken to these people or spent time on their forums.

To a large extent, it's about what's in red.  People are past the point of working their asses off to be house poor.  This is a good thing, that they've realized the situation they're in, and

Granted, many of them are in this situation because they got bullshit degrees (women's studies - what the fuck kind of job could you possible get?) and they live in areas with a costly social "safety net" (quotes intentional).  

All the same, the buying power of the dollar isn't what it was in the 1950's and the age of the McMansion is (thankfully) coming to an end.

Also, the people paying $70k for something like this are typically people who can barely use a screwdriver, so actually building something is akin to pure fucking magic.  They've got no idea how much margin is in that place, and even if they did they'd have no idea on how to build it themselves.

I couldn't fit my scuba gear, hiking and climbing shit, guns, ammo, and tools in a place twice the size of that tiny home, but I go get the reason it's attractive.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The older I get, the more I think contentment comes, not from having more, but from needing less.  <shrug>
View Quote

Indeed.  I spent the last 20 years being a driven, corporate type guy.  I worked my way into a CFO position, without a finance or accounting degree.  Drive, drive, drive.  Then, CEO.  My work hours and travel went up, time with my kid went down.

Very recently, I decided to look hard at buying some land, building a VERY small house, and just live a simple, easy lifestyle.  

I decided to do something far less drastic, but working in that direction nonetheless.  When the day comes - and it will be very soon - that I'm not checking emails on my phone when I get up at 3am to take a leak it will be a huge relief off my shoulders.

And ditching my 3 hour commute each day will directly translate into 3 hours to spend with my loved ones instead of being pissed off, stressed out, and burned out on the highway.

I'll have time to exercise and spend more time outdoors, too.  I've probably added 20 years to my life span with this decision alone.

As an added benefit, my post rate should increase.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've said that if I ever could build the house I want it'd be a big garage with a small house built into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like these things. I'd still need a large garage and workshop though!

I've said that if I ever could build the house I want it'd be a big garage with a small house built into it.

LOL. This.

A pole barn for all the stuff I play with and an ice shanty to live in.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah you know, the interesting thing when talking to hard core advocates of tiny houses, is their constant references to McMansions and the (true) observation that the square footage of new houses has increased dramatically over the past few decades.

The house I live in is only about 1,500 sq ft, and with 4 of us living in here, it doesn't feel cramped at all. It's 3 bd, 1ba, separate dining room, and even has an office (or 4th bedroom if you really wanted) on the first floor. It could definitely use another bathroom upstairs (my only big complaint), but it's otherwise fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well. I hope I didn't offend anyone by using the term McMansion the way I did. I sure don't consider myself as being some sort of a hardcore advocate of tiny houses or tiny cars or tiny anything. I do admire the very high quality of craftsmanship and design skills of a builder who I know to have made some pretty nice diminutive domiciles, but I wouldn't say that because I used a particular word that it means I believe others should live in small houses because of some environmentalist agenda or that I think they need to take up less space and be less materialistic because of some communist politics. I certainly didn't use the term in a pejorative context. The way I've heard it used implies that a construction is based on a home design which is mass produced and sometimes occupies as much space as the lot will allow which seems like an efficient use of space. I'm definitely not saying there's anything at all wrong with that. I do think it's interesting that some would choose not to use a little bit more of the ground around the house to grow things, but being that it's not my home, my opinion doesn't amount to anything.

Tract housing or whatever one calls it is just jargon for describing the way a residential area has been developed. However, if I'd have called them Faux Chateaus, that might have implied something about the design isn't genuine and could be construed as a bit of a dig, but no matter what you call it, it's a home and I'd never mock someone's residence because of it's proportions. I might wonder how it's working out for them being close together like that, but my curiosity is only that and I have nothing to gain by taking a jab at how someone else lives. At the end of the day, having a home is a great privilege. If the occupant is happy, that's what matters.

I live comfortably inside of 650 sq ft home above a nice little shop with a gantry, a few welding machines, a couple of mills, a stereo lithograph, a small foundry, a kiln, a brake, a press, a darkroom, some printing and lab equipment, a few tool boxes and lots of materials that I can use to make improvements around my little space, to fabricate stuff for work or just plain fun. Some might think that's hardly a home, but it's all I need. I never said or hinted that anyone has too much space or stuff.

Sorry if I hurt any feelings or caused any confusion.. or if I'm the one who's confused about being lumped in with a bunch of commies because of my ostensibly poor choice in words.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The tiny house movement is definitely gaining speed.
View Quote
View Quote

Doubt it.

Even if zoning codes and the local homeowner's association will allow it - and you can get financing for it - very few people will be interested in buying it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Doubt it.
Even if zoning codes and the local homeowner's association will allow it - and you can get financing for it - very few people will be interested in buying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt it.

The HOA that has a problem with RVs will hate it too, but if you put it on a flatbed, and license it as a trailer, you should be okay:

" Macy Miller is an architect from Idaho that had a BIG dream about a tiny house. She had always wanted a place of her own, but the thought of a mortgage sickened her after she lost her home to foreclosure after getting divorced. So, her dream revolved around building a compact, but beautiful home. For two years, Macy worked on the 196 square-foot home, dedicating her free time to building the small paradise. Finally, construction has finished on her little hideaway... and it's hard not to be jealous of this place, no matter how small it looks on the outside. After all, it only cost about $11,000..."

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#33]
The "house" on page 1 wouldn't even fit all my icky guns.  My hunting dogs would maul that house, thinking it a toy for their destruction.

Still, if someone wants to have almost no possessions and live in a doll house, go ahead and do it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The HOA that has a problem with RVs will hate it too, but if you put it on a flatbed, and license it as a trailer, you should be okay:

http://tinyhousetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/macy-millers-diy-mortgage-free-tiny-house-001.jpg

http://tinyhousetalk.com/woman-builds-diy-196-sq-ft-micro-home-11k/

http://www.viralnova.com/sick-of-divorce/?mb=tab

" Macy Miller is an architect from Idaho that had a BIG dream about a tiny house. She had always wanted a place of her own, but the thought of a mortgage sickened her after she lost her home to foreclosure after getting divorced. So, her dream revolved around building a compact, but beautiful home. For two years, Macy worked on the 196 square-foot home, dedicating her free time to building the small paradise. Finally, construction has finished on her little hideaway... and it's hard not to be jealous of this place, no matter how small it looks on the outside. After all, it only cost about $11,000..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt it.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/macy-millers-diy-mortgage-free-tiny-house-001.jpg

http://tinyhousetalk.com/woman-builds-diy-196-sq-ft-micro-home-11k/

http://www.viralnova.com/sick-of-divorce/?mb=tab

Where's the resale value?

When you go to sell it, what prospective home buyer is going to be interested?

One of the main attractions of owning a "normal" home is that it is an investment.

Buying a tiny "home" with virtually zero resale value isn't much different than renting an efficiency apartment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I've seriously looked into building a tiny home. The several that I have priced out were doable for around 30k.

I can understand why they don't appeal to most, but they are perfect for someone like me. With the exception of my bed, everything I own fits in the back of my 4Runner.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I've seen some really cool things done in tiny spaces. Apartments with fold out beds and all kinds of other shit. If I didn't have all of my SHIT, I could definitely get by in a smaller space.

In fact, my 2160sq ft house is sold, and I'm moving into a 1300sq ft place in a few weeks. I'll still have three bedrooms and plenty of closet space, tho.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't mind one if it meant having more land.  Big rooms are just a place to fill with crap. Throw in a big steel building and you're set.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#38]
You can't buy single wide mobile homes anymore?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#39]
If you could double the size I'd live in it. I'd prefer a larger kitchen, bath and living room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The older I get, the more I think contentment comes, not from having more, but from needing less.  <shrug>
View Quote

When I look at the generation older than me, this maps pretty well to what I see (regardless of their economic status).  It can be hard to reconcile this with the "two is one, one is none" and "get both" philosophy...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
That looks like an excellent idea -- for my dogs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have room for all of the useless gear I buy.
View Quote

That's what the 5000 square foot storage building is for.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd rather keep my 700sqft house the wife and I live in now and get a 22 foot RV to pull my flats boat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks like a nice hunting blind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I couldn't do that. I have to have stuff to do, stuff other than house maintenance.  I gotta build things, and to do that you need stuff.  Heck, that would about store my guns.

Now my house is only a little over 1K SF, and a damn one car garage.  I really wish I had at least a 2 car garage.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I am planning on building one.

I only need like 600 sq ft to live.

And then build a 1500+ sq ft shop/garage next to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Less is more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind one if it meant having more land.  Big rooms are just a place to fill with crap. Throw in a big steel building and you're set.
View Quote

This.
Also, what about the bathrooms in these?
Wouldn't the whole house smell after you took a shit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
No local building code?

View All Quotes

It's a joke

500 sqft house, 15,000 sqft basement/bunker.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm actually pretty well invested in the tiny house deal.  
Been working with a few people designing their place, and getting ready to start building one of the 8'x24' on trailer models.

I'm friends with a couple that weekend in one on St George Island, and it is actually very nice.  

Wife and I have too much crap to live in one full time, but we are getting ready to build a ~850 S.F. weekend place in the mountains which I think is the perfect size.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top