Quoted:
A snow cone maker
View Quote

nonono.  it's an espresso machine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll take the Mauser option I am to old to go sneaking around at night playing Navy SEAL and don, t have the training for it either.

I would also purely love to see what Davey Crockett could do with one of those Mausers.  Other thought is using the NVG to let the defenders deliver accurate artillery fire at night would be one hell of a game changer.  Then using the binos during the day to direct fire with the Mausers and other small arms against the enemy commanders would pretty useful.

Lastly weren't the defenders starving to death and almost out of powder by the end? I am not sure how much in the way of beans and bullets my $50 would buy, but I bet it would help.

I think I would spend a couple days writing down all the history, technological, and medical knowlege I could and send it out with a messenger before things kick off.  That way even if we lose the Mexicans don't an insurmountable leg up by looting my corpse.
View Quote

That is a really good point that never even crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
#3 so I can use the suppressor and NVG's to sneak into the Mexican camp and target all their leadership. That's the only way you could potentially turn the tide with any of those choices.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]
OP did a pretty damn good job, pretty even distribution, minus the 240.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1

That said, I voted Mausers.  If you could make 5 guys proficient in their operation you might be able to use them to kill a lot of Mexican artillerymen and officers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
None of these would turn the tide, they would just delay the inevitable a little longer. More ammo would be needed.

+1

That said, I voted Mausers.  If you could make 5 guys proficient in their operation you might be able to use them to kill a lot of Mexican artillerymen and officers.

+1, voted the same.

People that voted #3 must figure they could sneak their way out with the suppressed weapon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The 8mm mausers.  The rest is not even close.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I would get anyone even remotely close to being a blacksmith create a mold for conical shaped mini-balls and go full production for 3 days prior. Those conical rounds would help with accuracy.
I'd take the Mausers too. I would have them do a "Mad Minute" with about 15 rounds each and make the Mexicans freak out with the volume of fire.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, gonna die anyways, might as well go out operating- Option 3 for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]
What did Travis say to Jim Bowie when he saw the 6000 Mexicans lined up outside the Alamo ?

" Jim, are we pouring concrete today " ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Drunk post was drunk.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would get anyone even remotely close to being a blacksmith create a mold for conical shaped mini-balls and go full production for 3 days prior. Those conical rounds would help with accuracy.
I'd take the Mausers too. I would have them do a "Mad Minute" with about 15 rounds each and make the Mexicans freak out with the volume of fire.
View Quote

It would only aide accuracy for rifles. The majority of the weapons used would still be smoothbore muskets. Either way the minie balls main purpose was to make reloading easier for rifles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1, voted the same.

People that voted #3 must figure they could sneak their way out with the suppressed weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
None of these would turn the tide, they would just delay the inevitable a little longer. More ammo would be needed.

+1

+1, voted the same.

I didn't think the Mausers had enough ammo to train shooters completely new to the actions and do it in 5 days or less.   Not having any confidence in being able to train the shooters I come down to option 3, and if you go with that not being in the fort and going out at night makes sense.  None of the options inspire confidence in me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I voted the mausers, but I truthfully believe that an opposing force armed with black powder rifles would turn tail with any of the above.

I don't know what the casualties looked like for the Mexicans but I imagine if you added another 300 to that on the first day there wouldn't have been a 13 day battle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Or barring any of the options we could just abandon the fort like we were ordered to and join the force that actually beat Santa Anna. The massacre of fannons men would of been enough of a battle cry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't think the Mausers had enough ammo to train shooters completely new to the actions and do it in 5 days or less.   Not having any confidence in being able to train the shooters I come down to option 3, and if you go with that not being in the fort and going out at night makes sense.  None of the options inspire confidence in me.
View Quote

Hell, you have guys like Crockett who supposedly could hit a target with a round ball from a muzzleloading rifle at 180yds, using some pretty rudimentary sights and I'm guessing a fair amount of drop and windage.  The Mauser is going to be flatter shooting with less drop , have better sights, and the rounds are actually going to go where they are pointed.  I don't think you'd need much training to make the Mauser an effective weapon at the distances musketry was normally used.  And I think you could do most of the training you needed with dryfire. Now, if you want to have them try and make 600yd shots with it, you probably don't have the ammo to train that skill.

And even with Mausers, you could lay some mean ambushes - you completely outrange the Mexicans, your rate of fire is much, much faster and they are marching in column in brightly colored uniforms through Texas.  Plus, you have the modern miracle of smokeless powder working for you.  The Mexican cavalry would probably be your biggest concern if you wanted to operate aggressively outside the walls though.  They could still catch and overtake 5 guys with Mausers.  Problem with that approach is besides the additional risk of being caught, you will have made the enemy aware of your unusual capabilities before they start doing things like setting up key equipment just 300yds away from you at the Alamo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The battle of the Alamo was in 1936.  I would choose the 10 1866 Winchesters and 1000 rounds of ammo.  This way I could bug the hell out, take the rifles and ammo to Virginia, have an arms company deconstruct them and build thousands of them to keep in secret storage along with millions of rounds of ammo so that the South could kick the Yankees in the ass when the civil war starts.  Jefferson Davis would be so proud.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The battle of the Alamo was in 1936.  I would choose the 10 1866 Winchesters and 1000 rounds of ammo.  This way I could bug the hell out, take the rifles and ammo to Virginia, have an arms company deconstruct them and build thousands of them to keep in secret storage along with millions of rounds of ammo so that the South could kick the Yankees in the ass when the civil war starts.  Jefferson Davis would be so proud.  
View Quote

Finally, someone who gets it!  I like your style.  Can I subscribe to your newsblog?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Mausers, shoot any asshole wearing a fancy uniform. Taking aimed and effective fire from outside the range of anything  they have will change the Mexicans tune. They will waste time and resources scouring the local area for the shooters since to their knowledge it would be impossible for the shots to come from the fort.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Option 2. You've got the range, power, ammo, and 5 rifles. I think 5 sharpshooters with K98's and 200 rds each would've made a helluva difference...
View Quote

I think this statement has more weight than people will give it credit. Officers would go down quickly and the accuracy and range would shock the Mexican army.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd rather have something like a Solothurn. Drop some 20mm API on them and force their artillery trains further to the rear. It probably wouldn't change the outcome, but it would slow their fire.

Anyone know if a cannon is still usable with a hole punched through it? I don't know the specs of a Mexican cannon, but I'd assume you could get adequate penetration. Maybe you could forget the trains entirely and start picking the guns off directly
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Finally, someone who gets it!  I like your style.  Can I subscribe to your newsblog?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I already saved the south on page two.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know what weapon choice I would make, but the first thing I would do is buy as much land around the Alamo as possible for future investment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The debate about which weapons/resources package could go on and on, but I think the real advantage is using the best package in regards to the time frame into which you were transported.  By that I mean you know historically how Santa Ana finally got all of his troops, cannons, and materials to the battle.  The defenders were able to get out of the mission in the preceding days on several occasions due to the lower number of Mexican troops.  A small, well equipped force could use the most effective weapons package to attack, disable, and possibly even permanently deter the troops and equipment marching to the Alamo.  This might have had the biggest impact on the outcome.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
If you plan to stay and fight, the 5 Mauser 98s would be the most effective.  Aim for officers, artillery and especially Peg Leg.  You have to teach the marksman how to use it and how to adjust the sights.  If you can, you have to put range stakes out to help them.

If you plan to exfiltrate, evade and escape, the M4 with the suppressor is the best.

My research showed that besides the Brown Bess, the Mexican Army has Baker armed soldiers.  They would not cause any trouble for your Mauser men.  They only had four bullets and were told to carry the scaling ladders.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#27]
This guy again?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Mausers
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll take the M4, leave the first night that I get there, and hunt down the ancestors of the fuckers from that secret society that sent me there.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]
What ever I took, I'd want to make sure I had plenty of fuel for Mr. Fusion in the Delorean.
When the shit goes south, I'm bugging out for home!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
The limited amount of ammo noted in the choices is too little to make a difference.  With Santa Anna having more troops, and especially Cannon that could remain out of range of the limited number of rifle rounds (even the 8mm at 800 yards), Santa Anna still has the advantage.  All Santa Anna needs to do is continue to bombard with cannon until all his ammo is expended, or the Alamo is a pile of rubble.  Then his troops can attack and take over.

Simply put, there isn't enough ammo for the time traveler.  Now, if the time traveler had 100 men with suppressed M4's and each man has 5000 rounds of ammo, they could make a big difference.  Staying in hides outside the Alamo with 5 men in each hide, they could shoot at Santa Anna from 20 different interlocking positions....that would make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be able to get a shot on the Mexican generals sitting horseback a few hundred yards away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd take the mauser & 1k rounds, but what I'd really like to know is if Davy Crockett really said, "God Damn, Jim! How much concrete did you order?!" when he looked over the wall that fateful morning..
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd take a heavy cav troop

6 Bradley's, one dismount per brad to load 25mm, tows, and hand up coax. The rest of the dismount areas loaded to the max with 25mm HE and coax

10 gun trucks with with 50's and m240 (so they can share 7.62 with the brads "when" they run out of ammo)
A mortar platoon set up inside the Alamo with the fisters

Supply running ammo and the mechs/nbc/commo playing spades in the tent.

That should do the trick
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The limited amount of ammo noted in the choices is too little to make a difference.  With Santa Anna having more troops, and especially Cannon that could remain out of range of the limited number of rifle rounds (even the 8mm at 800 yards), Santa Anna still has the advantage.  All Santa Anna needs to do is continue to bombard with cannon until all his ammo is expended, or the Alamo is a pile of rubble.  Then his troops can attack and take over.
View Quote

Shipboard cannon of that era often couldn't penetrate ship hulls at 900yds.  So if Santa Ana has to move his canon back to 900yds, he isn't doing any damage of note to the walls.  Max range for 6pdr and 12pdr smoothbore cannon of that era is around 1200yds, so he may not have much elevation to work with in lobbing stuff over the walls either.  Not only that; but every yard his cannon move back is an extra yard that infantry has to cover to assault the Alamo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Where is the "roman legion" option?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where is the "roman legion" option?
View Quote

I think the legion is driving Saudi princesses around.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Mausers......and "I'm a screamer" too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#39]
For all of you who love suppressed - silent death was probably less unheard of then than now.  Bow and arrow - if it is a through shot will also only leave a hole.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You have just been kidnaped by a secret society who have a time machine. They are going to send you to the Alamo, 5 days before the start of the battle. You are given quality clothing, a basic load bearing vest, and a pack with a change of clothes including boots, 10 days of rations, $50.00 in period money, soap, modern quality binoculars, 2 1 quart canteens, a means to purify 40 gallons of water, and a gen 2 PVS-7. You can take nothing else. You are given a choice of arms to take back with you.

1) M16A4, irons only, with 15 full 30 round mags.

2) 5 mint condition K98 Mausers with bayonets, a ammo belt for each, and 1,000 rounds of 8MM on stripper clips.

3) A suppressed M4A1 with Eotech, and 10 full 30 round mags.

4) 10 1866 model Winchester rifles, with 1,000 rounds of ammo.

5) 1 M240B, with tripod, T&E, and 500 rounds of linked 7.62x51MM

You can only pick one option from the list. You will be provided cleaning supplies and basic maintenance equipment for whichever option you choose. What arms will you choose, and why?
View Quote

5 days in advance?  Take the Mausers and grab 4 other guys and harass them the whole way to the Alamo.  Pick off officers and sergeants.   Loosing 2-3 hundred without being able to really fight back should hurt morale and affect command and control.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd take
2 M240s with 4000 rounds
6 M16s with 3000 rounds

You can keep your night vision
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I bet he probably just read guns of the south. Sounds a lot like it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#43]
If the alamo had screen doors, Santa Ana's army would have been slaughtered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#44]

I like to do my killing before breakfast.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#45]
# 2
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The debate about which weapons/resources package could go on and on, but I think the real advantage is using the best package in regards to the time frame into which you were transported.  By that I mean you know historically how Santa Ana finally got all of his troops, cannons, and materials to the battle.  The defenders were able to get out of the mission in the preceding days on several occasions due to the lower number of Mexican troops.  A small, well equipped force could use the most effective weapons package to attack, disable, and possibly even permanently deter the troops and equipment marching to the Alamo.  This might have had the biggest impact on the outcome.
View Quote

Fuck dude the only things I know about the Alamo I picked up from watching Walt Disney's Davey Crockett when they played it on TCM a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Option 2. Gives 5 crack shots some fire power and 200 rounds. Maybe you could knock off enough officers to make a difference. But as others have said, the odds still won't be in your favor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For all of you who love suppressed - silent death was probably less unheard of then than now.  Bow and arrow - if it is a through shot will also only leave a hole.
View Quote

Silent death with a bow from 50 feet isn't the same as nearly silent death from 200-300 yards from a rifle in the dark.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Silent death with a bow from 50 feet isn't the same as nearly silent death from 200-300 yards from a rifle in the dark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP does that mean the M4a1 option includes an IR LASER?  Otherwise how would you make that shot with a PVS7?  It isn't the easiest NVG to line up behind that EOTech.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#50]
with 5 days I would think you'd be able to sabotage the battlefield a bit as well or perhaps chop down a few trees on the roads they used to get in / out.

If you did that and made some choke points and set a couple ambushes you might be able to inflict a bit more damage as well.

Also - with the $50 in period money - I'd have someone go buy ammo for what everyone else is shootin'

I'd also find my ancestors and tell them to invent the pet rock.....the guy made a million dollars!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top