Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Needs to be holding a paper bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/usjet1/media/DC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/usjet1/DC.jpg</a>

Needs to be holding a paper bag.

He's in cuffs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The whole fanboy thing is getting ridiculous. Online it's like calling someone a racist. Nobody wants to be called a fanboy and other people use it like 'racist' to silence opponents.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many people are humping Larues legs.

Yeah well when our nephew needed optics for his SAW and later for his M110 I don't recall you getting them to him in Afghanistan......for free.

-for one thing

Early in the war there was a huge shortage of LRF, binos, spotting scopes, mounts, and rifle scopes. Lots of them were provided free, no questions asked, by ML and others.
I'm not a LaRue fanboi, but I'll never forget that.
The whole fanboy thing is getting ridiculous. Online it's like calling someone a racist. Nobody wants to be called a fanboy and other people use it like 'racist' to silence opponents.    

It is slang for unpaid shill.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's Die-trying just helping out his buddy.....

Had to look up Laboob camp, never heard the phrase before. Guess what I found.

www.floridashootersnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=82477&start=0

Never had any love for Larue or his fans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's Die-trying just helping out his buddy.....

Had to look up Laboob camp, never heard the phrase before. Guess what I found.

www.floridashootersnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=82477&start=0

Never had any love for Larue or his fans.

HAHAHA goddam! I knew that guy had a hate boner for LaRue but didn't think he would stoop that low.

This fight is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Of course he's done "something" right. That's why we're even having this discussion.

Maybe it hasn't hurt him... But I see people right in these threads who think that Mark defending himself is a bad thing. And you know what? In some small way, they're right. It's the old "don't wrestle with pigs if you don't want to get muddy" adage.

I like how accessible Mark is - it's great. But for him to spend time on stuff like Nutn's video? No way. Let someone else get muddy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Then at least you have some integrity...  

I just have to laugh at the guys who are all "LOL @ LaRue slappys..." then later they're all "Hey Mark if you wanted to send me an upper I'd test it for you" ...

Look, I'm a brand guy. Not just a fan of brands - I literally do branding for a living. Branding involves every aspect of the public's interactions with you. That includes stuff like this. This is only my opinion... LaRue gains nothing from rolling in the mud like this. He should leave it to his fans and some brand ambassadors.

I say this as a fan of LaRue's gear for whom their gear has *earned* their place in my safe and on my rifles. They have lots of my hard earned money, not because I am a sloppy, but because it's legitimately excellent gear that will outlive me. I enjoy having things that are well designed, engineered, and made. LaRue does this well. No homo.

I'm just a lawyer and have never had so sell products, just my time.  So what do I know?  But, IMHO, Larue has obviously done something right.  This is not the first time he's done this.  And it doesn't hurt him.  It never hurts him.  I think it helps him.  Because he is accountable - even to random people on the internet.  I find more comfort in that than I would someone speaking through PR professionals hired to manipulate me.

Of course he's done "something" right. That's why we're even having this discussion.

Maybe it hasn't hurt him... But I see people right in these threads who think that Mark defending himself is a bad thing. And you know what? In some small way, they're right. It's the old "don't wrestle with pigs if you don't want to get muddy" adage.

I like how accessible Mark is - it's great. But for him to spend time on stuff like Nutn's video? No way. Let someone else get muddy.

I'm with you. Giving him any attention maybe beyond a short response lends legitimacy.

If you had some 12 year old call you names would you ignore him or argue with the little shit? You ignore him. He's a 12 year old turd who knows nothing. The only ones who thinks he knows anything are also 12 year old turds. I am sure half of his followers are just waiting to see what train wreck he comes up with next.

Conversely you can have the Streisand affect happen if you push back to hard on someone, even if they are wrong.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you imagine a Friday afternoon squadron formation before a 3-day weekend, with him giving the safety briefing?

Do tankers carry ARs on board ?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I tried to send you a whole PM regarding the .260 Rem, but no PM's for you, understandably.  I wanted to talk it over at SHOT, but maybe we can email or something.

For me, I have never, and probably never will shoot factory .260 Rem in the AR10 for the reasons I stated in the other thread.

My personal favorite load is the 130gr Berger VLD on top of H4350, but even the 123gr target pills smoke .308 and are laser-flat.

I personally came to the conclusion early on that the 140gr class of pills are too slow, with too much arc, when I can get super flat performance from the 130's, with the same wind drift because of speed.

I'm using a 22" Bartlein 5R, cuts .4-.6" ragged holes at 100yds for 5rds, and is sub-MOA easily at 1000yds.  Shoots ever 6.5mm target bullet well except the batch of 140gr A-MAX's I tried for some odd reason.

Lapua brass has much less case capacity, so you have to really work up the loads and not take any book loads as relevant, since most of them have been worked up with Remington brass.

I started off using Winchester 7mm-08 brass, and have gotten at least 5 loads on them pushing the pressures.

Firing pin hole needs to be .068", not .080".  Gas port needs to be cut just right, with gas block sealed well.  Port pressures are much higher with long pills and slow-burning powders, which is another reason to use the 123gr and 130gr with a medium-slow powder, versus H4831SC and RL17, which work great in .260 Rem bolt guns.

Feel free to email me for some other technical perspectives I have been looking at.

I really think both the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed would be best served with factory loads meant for gassers, because they exhibit all kinds of problems in most AR10's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^

Off-topic, what factory ammo does you 260 like and what handload recipes does it do best with ?

I tried to send you a whole PM regarding the .260 Rem, but no PM's for you, understandably.  I wanted to talk it over at SHOT, but maybe we can email or something.

For me, I have never, and probably never will shoot factory .260 Rem in the AR10 for the reasons I stated in the other thread.

My personal favorite load is the 130gr Berger VLD on top of H4350, but even the 123gr target pills smoke .308 and are laser-flat.

I personally came to the conclusion early on that the 140gr class of pills are too slow, with too much arc, when I can get super flat performance from the 130's, with the same wind drift because of speed.

I'm using a 22" Bartlein 5R, cuts .4-.6" ragged holes at 100yds for 5rds, and is sub-MOA easily at 1000yds.  Shoots ever 6.5mm target bullet well except the batch of 140gr A-MAX's I tried for some odd reason.

Lapua brass has much less case capacity, so you have to really work up the loads and not take any book loads as relevant, since most of them have been worked up with Remington brass.

I started off using Winchester 7mm-08 brass, and have gotten at least 5 loads on them pushing the pressures.

Firing pin hole needs to be .068", not .080".  Gas port needs to be cut just right, with gas block sealed well.  Port pressures are much higher with long pills and slow-burning powders, which is another reason to use the 123gr and 130gr with a medium-slow powder, versus H4831SC and RL17, which work great in .260 Rem bolt guns.

Feel free to email me for some other technical perspectives I have been looking at.

I really think both the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed would be best served with factory loads meant for gassers, because they exhibit all kinds of problems in most AR10's.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Early in the war there was a huge shortage of LRF, binos, spotting scopes, mounts, and rifle scopes. Lots of them were provided free, no questions asked, by ML and others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many people are humping Larues legs.

Yeah well when our nephew needed optics for his SAW and later for his M110 I don't recall you getting them to him in Afghanistan......for free.

-for one thing

I first heard about LaRue from one of the most respected and professional NCO's I ever had the pleasure to work with.  After deploying with Task Force 121 in 2001-2002 for OEF, he was telling me about these better mounts that had more engagement surface that The Unit was using, and that they blew away the issue Aimpoint or ARMS mounts.  I didn't even know the name of the company, just that there was something superior out there, and someone in the private sector was supporting the SOF side of the house with direct feedback and innovation to meet end-user needs for real-world, time-critical contracts.

I later learned who that company was, and have turned to them for QD mounts.  Most of my LaRue mounts have been scraped from me OCONUS by people who paid me more than I paid for them new.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Mark will probably be the first to say that I'm anything but a fanboy.  I'm sure I've annoyed him enough to have left a bit of an impression.   But I try to be unbiased. (and I do currently own a Larue product)  The delay in times sending it back, and duracoating it are pretty big red flags for me.  

Duracoating isn't chosen by people that know what they're doing, so while it MIGHT be completely unrelated, it's a bad sign. And if it's so shitty, why wait so long before sending it back each time?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

He says it "I even duracoated underneath the gas block".

It (PRI Gas block)  would have had to come off twice. Or installed initially wrong the first time, took off for paint and misaligned the second time.

Edit:
Also I have had a clamp on gas block slide around before. Especially after the barrel got hot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I tend to like nutnfancys reviews but this pisses me off I hope he apologizes to mark
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a dog in this fight, but the title of his video gives the impression that in general, the LT Stealth is a POS. If this were the case, it would be widely known; LT has the opposite reputation.

On the other hand, blaming PMC ammo and cold conditions is pretty lame. If my middle tier guns can cycle PMC in frigid IL weather, I would expect any quality upper to do the same.

Was the gas port out of spec? We will never know...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I haven't watched this new vid yet, but I just wanted to mention something.

A coworker had been casually following this event. He knows of LaRue's reputation as well as watches NF's videos from time to time. Point being, he would be a good analog for the "general public" in this case.

During conversation, his perspective was much like those that keep posting without reading the thread. Everyone makes a lemon every so offen, the upper should have been fixed, etc.

I tried to present the points which have been run over in this tread, but he was still skeptical of wrongdoing by NF. I then directed him to watch your first video. After that, he understood exactly what all the fuss is about. Good job putting out a quality video summarizing the defails of this whole afair.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the series of events, as I understand them:

A) nutnfancy buys stealth upper, it functions fine

B) nutnfancy swaps gas block for PRI gas block and spaces it incorrectly, and the upper no longer functions

C) nutnfancy sends the upper to larue

D) larue determines the gas block was installed incorrectly, fixes it, and sends it back

E) nutnfancy fires 100 rounds through the upper, and it functions properly

F) nutnfancy disassembled the upper to duracoat it, and reinstalls the PRI gas block with incorrect spacing

G) nutnfancy sends bubba'd hobbygun to larue

H) larue determines the gas block was installed incorrectly, fixes it, and sends it back

I) nutnfancy receives upper and it functions properly

J) nutfancy disassembles upper to install troy rail, continuing his fine tradition of bubba'd hobbybuilds, and reinstalls the PRI gas block with incorrect spacing

K) nutfancy drills out the gas port to 3/4" to correct for his incorrectly installed gas block, and the upper now functions

In the middle of all this, he tests out multiple gas blocks, all of them installed incorrectly, none of them functioning. Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is the series of events, as I understand them:

A) nutnfancy buys stealth upper, it functions fine
B) nutnfancy swaps gas block for PRI gas block and spaces it incorrectly, and the upper no longer functions
C) nutnfancy sends the upper to larue
D) larue determines the gas block was installed incorrectly, fixes it, and sends it back
E) nutnfancy fires 100 rounds through the upper, and it functions properly
F) nutnfancy disassembled the upper to duracoat it, and reinstalls the PRI gas block with incorrect spacing
G) nutnfancy sends bubba'd hobbygun to larue
H) larue determines the gas block was installed incorrectly, fixes it, and sends it back
I) nutnfancy receives upper and it functions properly
J) nutfancy disassembles upper to install troy rail, continuing his fine tradition of bubba'd hobbybuilds, and reinstalls the PRI gas block with incorrect spacing
K) nutfancy drills out the gas port to 3/4" to correct for his incorrectly installed gas block, and the upper now functions

In the middle of all this, he tests out multiple gas blocks, all of them installed incorrectly, none of them functioning. Did I miss anything?
View Quote

That is what appears to be the case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It (PRI Gas block)  would have had to come off twice. Or installed initially wrong the first time, took off for paint and misaligned the second time.

Edit:
Also I have had a clamp on gas block slide around before. Especially after the barrel got hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edit:

Listen carefully, he said "I didnt duracoat underneath the gasblock"

However, I'm not sticking up for him or whatever but that part was fairly clear to me. Was it truthful? I dont know... but I personally know that if you paint/treat any firearm poorly, you can potentially run into reliability issues afterwards.  I know for a fact he screwed up a Glock 20 with cerakote and heat treatment... right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TI-DolazFYY&x-yt-cl=84838260&x-yt-ts=1422327029#t=1385
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

However, I'm not sticking up for him or whatever but that part was fairly clear to me. Was it truthful? I dont know... but I personally know that if you paint/treat any firearm poorly, you can potentially run into reliability issues afterwards.  I know for a fact he screwed up a Glock 20 with cerakote and heat treatment... right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TI-DolazFYY&x-yt-cl=84838260&x-yt-ts=1422327029#t=1385
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

45 seconds into the video, HOLY WECSOG batman!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Go back and listen at 9:29.

Edit: he says he duracoated where the gas block goes.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy fuck, that Cerakote video is cringe worthy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

All good guns are finished under the gas block, it's in the chart!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the title of his video gives the impression that in general, the LT Stealth is a POS. If this were the case, it would be widely known; LT has the opposite reputation.

On the other hand, blaming PMC ammo and cold conditions is pretty lame. If my middle tier guns can cycle PMC in frigid IL weather, I would expect any quality upper to do the same.

View Quote
Another fly-by comment from someone that didn't bother to read the whole thread and watch the videos.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Go a bit further (24:39) and he talks about dremeling the inside of a PRI gas block. This and the hole alignments sound like areas of probable issues, IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

He says he didn't duracoat underneath. I point out that he is not clear whether he takes the gas block off again and screws with its alignment.... But from him saying he's tried every combination, and up to 4 different gas blocks. Its pretty safe to assume he takes the gas block off again after he gets it back from LaRue
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh?
I've already decided there's little he could do to further damage my opinion of him.

"I want it to look professional."
Do you now...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another fly-by comment from someone that didn't bother to read the whole thread and watch the videos.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you justify your comment? If you are referring to what I said about the gas port being in spec or not, he drilled it out, so we will never know for sure...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#30]
HOLY SCHNEIKES!

He heated the Glock frame to 250 F for a couple of hours!

I guess he didn't read NIC's directions for curing polymers.  No wonder his Glock frame changed dimensions and won't drop mags free on him.

He needs to stop.  

The distractions clearly state:

Wood, polymer, or plastic:  150-180* for 2 hours:  NIC Industries H Series Instructions

Look at page 18.  I've been doing Cerakote for years now, and I read the distractions thoroughly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Go a bit further (24:39) and he talks about dremeling the inside of a PRI gas block. This and the hole alignments sound like areas of probable issues, IMHO.

http://youtu.be/TI-DolazFYY?t=24m39s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Just keep in mind that this video isnt directly related to this whole ordeal. IRONICALLY it just so happens to be a PRI gas block LOL. What the vid does do however, is give an insight into the quality of backyard gunsmith work that nutn carries out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Wow I wonder if he cleaned up the hole that aligns with the gas port after doing that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He says he didn't duracoat underneath. I point out that he is not clear whether he takes the gas block off again and screws with its alignment.... But from him saying he's tried every combination, and up to 4 different gas blocks. Its pretty safe to assume he takes the gas block off again after he gets it back from LaRue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

And at some point he puts a Troy rail on too right?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh?
I've already decided there's little he could do to further damage my opinion of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh?

Yup.  He Dremel'd out the ID of the PRI gas block after Cerakoting the inside of it.

These are logical areas not to Cerakote.  He's a gunsmith's life-long spending money source.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#36]
He goes on to say how the LaRue gas block and rail are really heavy uneeded weight.... (Remember his comments in Shot video description)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup.  He Dremel'd out the ID of the PRI gas block after Cerakoting the inside of it.

These are logical areas not to Cerakote.  He's a gunsmith's life-long spending money source.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh?

He cerakoted the inside of a gas block?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HOLY SCHNEIKES!

He heated the Glock frame to 250 F for a couple of hours!

I guess he didn't read NIC's directions for curing polymers.  No wonder his Glock frame changed dimensions and won't drop mags free on him.

He needs to stop.  

The distractions clearly state:

Wood, polymer, or plastic:  150-180* for 2 hours:  NIC Industries H Series Instructions

Look at page 18.  I've been doing Cerakote for years now, and I read the distractions thoroughly.
View Quote

He's obviously too smart for instructions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh?

No, he's a customer from hell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh dear Heaven help us.  He has a Sniper Fantasy Philosophy of Use video up just posted.

I can't take it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/usjet1/media/DC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/usjet1/DC.jpg</a>
View Quote

CERAKOTE?

Is there NOTHING in this incident not Fk'd up?

EDIT: I publicly apologize to DuraCoat.

EDIT 2: And Cerakote.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit:

If that's the same PRI gas block then he clearly took it off.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

I posted earlier, but make no mistake... this in no way has anything to do with the original issue at hand. Its purely coincidence that he had a PRI gas block at hand in that video.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Dose larue sell a 308?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top