BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, I saw that. I'm aware of that. Reading comprehension and all, I was trying to look at his claims of failures BEFORE HE SWAPPED IN THE PRI. I get that his attempts at installing the PRI FSB led to a misaligned gas block.

Watch Infinite's counterpoint vid, it nicely breaks down NF's statements that, in his words, he mounted it (the upper) and had feeding issues right out of the gate. That's where I was trying to figure out if it was even remotely feasible that an as-built 20" Stealth, pre-NF screwing with it, would have been sensitive to ammo like Wolf or MPC bronze based on the weather or his altitude.

And yes, finally NF admits that when he checks the gas port it's within spec for a 20" before he whacks it with his drill. That's why I'm trying to get at what other factors, if the gas port was correct, and with the original gas block in place, could have cause NF to claim to have stoppages. Obviously something smells shitty here because NF's story doesn't seem to line up with his own comments IN THE SAME VID. I agree that his real issues lie in his poor workmanship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simply put, if the gas port was well within spec for what a 20" rifle should have, then it was Nutn's goof for selecting a precision type upper and expecting it to operate like an AK.

Except that, in no way, reflects what the issue at hand is all about.

Pretty much a complete swing and a miss.

What did I miss? He claims the rifle wasn't cycling, sent it back repeatedly, still didn't do what he wanted, so he drills the gas port himself. NF states the gas port was "within spec", drills it out, now it works. Larue didn't fix what wasn't broke (the gas port), but fixed what was (his gas block install).

http://i.gyazo.com/7fc1c36f1b6ccb9936c4244c1dcab231.png

The gas port wasn't broke, the end users brain was.

Yes, I saw that. I'm aware of that. Reading comprehension and all, I was trying to look at his claims of failures BEFORE HE SWAPPED IN THE PRI. I get that his attempts at installing the PRI FSB led to a misaligned gas block.

Watch Infinite's counterpoint vid, it nicely breaks down NF's statements that, in his words, he mounted it (the upper) and had feeding issues right out of the gate. That's where I was trying to figure out if it was even remotely feasible that an as-built 20" Stealth, pre-NF screwing with it, would have been sensitive to ammo like Wolf or MPC bronze based on the weather or his altitude.

And yes, finally NF admits that when he checks the gas port it's within spec for a 20" before he whacks it with his drill. That's why I'm trying to get at what other factors, if the gas port was correct, and with the original gas block in place, could have cause NF to claim to have stoppages. Obviously something smells shitty here because NF's story doesn't seem to line up with his own comments IN THE SAME VID. I agree that his real issues lie in his poor workmanship.

Bingo. It also doesn't match what he's said in the past, either.

It makes it smell especially bad seeing as he's now removing previous videos that contradict what he's saying now.

Something's wrong, and I don't think it's with LaRue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it possible for failures to have been caused by underpowered ammo? Absolutely. I saw an SR-15 get a case stuck in the chamber, that doesn't mean all SR-15s suck as NutN was trying to get at with Larue in his video. I had a couple stoppages on my SCAR with underpowered PMC ammo(after being run for 3500 rounds with no lube or cleaning). It's not impossible by any stretch, but his comments regarding "out of the gate" certainly don't jive with his Shot 2010 video.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor abused tOBR needs a good home

Yeah, might as well send that upper to IG. He did a boat load of work and that upper is now un-sellable.

It would be cool to see an install video of a PRI gas block the same way Nutn did (eye-balling it and running compressed air), while making it align like it did in the still Nutn has in the video. Then show how it's actually misaligned, and shoot about 100 rounds through it, knowing that it's going to be under-gassed.

After which, install the gas block properly (showing the proper way to do it), and then run another 100 rounds through it.

Post that as a response to his video to show how he fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
in regards to the 2nd update-I'm not convinced...you'll have to send me an upper so I can perform my own test first hand
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Awesome.  I just got an e-mail with this from your company.  I can only hope NF is still on the LT distribution list and received it as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update in OP.
ETA 2

Way back in this thread I posted had he come by our booth, I'd have loaded him down with booth uppers.

The Shotshow trailer is back so I had the guys pull a 5.56 out of the gunbox, slap a Surefire can on it, run 1000 rounds through it (they shot 1,025 rounds), no oil, no cleaning.

It ran non-stop, no oil, no cleaning. We shot groups before and after just for the heck of it.

The tOBR ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zps26135d4c.jpg

Gunk pic ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpse5e6366e.jpg

Before starting 1,000 round run  ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpsc956cbda.jpg

After 1,025 rounds - note 1st group / 1st round flyer - rifle had been allowed to completely cool but no cleaning no oil ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zps95c24ecb.jpg

Awesome.  I just got an e-mail with this from your company.  I can only hope NF is still on the LT distribution list and received it as well.

I got it as well. This thread plus that e-mail add insult to injury for ol' NF.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
To me, something about the video title and the fact he even posted it screams..

AGENDA

I'm no fanboi either.  I have a LT-112 on my .260 Rem AR10 built by GA Precision, and a LaRue Aimpoint mount for my wife's HD BCM carbine.

I'm really thinking about a LaRue 6.5 Grendel though.  

I frequently say that I don't buy rifles off the shelf anymore, but I would have zero problems owning a LaRue rifle and leaving it alone.

I might even be convinced to pants Fuddnnancy at the next SHOT for one!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AGENDA

I'm no fanboi either.  I have a LT-112 on my .260 Rem AR10 built by GA Precision, and a LaRue Aimpoint mount for my wife's HD BCM carbine.

I frequently say that I don't buy rifles off the shelf anymore, but I would have zero problems owning a LaRue rifle and leaving it alone.

View Quote

I agree he wanted to make a stir IMO. Musta been losing ratings.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

AGENDA

View Quote

He would love that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is it possible for failures to have been caused by underpowered ammo? Absolutely. I saw an SR-15 get a case stuck in the chamber, that doesn't mean all SR-15s suck as NutN was trying to get at with Larue in his video. I had a couple stoppages on my SCAR with underpowered PMC ammo(after being run for 3500 rounds with no lube or cleaning). It's not impossible by any stretch, but his comments regarding "out of the gate" certainly don't jive with his Shot 2010 video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's what I was trying to drive at. If the gas port should allow even the shittiest ammo to function in snow, mountains, whatever, there must have been something else going on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, that's what I was trying to drive at. If the gas port should allow even the shittiest ammo to function in snow, mountains, whatever, there must have been something else going on.
View Quote

But again, we have to take him at his word now, which is changed from 4 years ago, since he managed to remove his near permanently attached selfie video camera on the one day he test fired it stock from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good points. I know you aren't defending him. I just don't think PMC is going to choke a gun like that, especially one with a full length barrel. I would be inclined to think that the LaRue upper would run just fine on Wolf ammo if it hadn't been screwed with. I could see it happening to an SBR though. I had a batch of Centurion I ran through my rifle with a 11.5 " DD barrel and factory installed gas block that wouldn't cycle reliably. XM193, Prvi, and others ran just fine through it over thousands of rounds. The Centurion ammo chronoed at around 2500 fps from my rifle and was noticeably weak. It certainly wasn't the fault of Daniel Defense, and I sure as hell wasn't going to take my DeWalt drill to the gas port just so I could run some shitty Centurion ammo through it!

View Quote

I run Wolf and Silver Bear through my SBR Stealth all the time in drills.  No issues.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
^^^

Off-topic, what factory ammo does you 260 like and what handload recipes does it do best with ?
View Quote

I tried to send you a whole PM regarding the .260 Rem, but no PM's for you, understandably.  I wanted to talk it over at SHOT, but maybe we can email or something.

For me, I have never, and probably never will shoot factory .260 Rem in the AR10 for the reasons I stated in the other thread.

My personal favorite load is the 130gr Berger VLD on top of H4350, but even the 123gr target pills smoke .308 and are laser-flat.

I personally came to the conclusion early on that the 140gr class of pills are too slow, with too much arc, when I can get super flat performance from the 130's, with the same wind drift because of speed.

I'm using a 22" Bartlein 5R, cuts .4-.6" ragged holes at 100yds for 5rds, and is sub-MOA easily at 1000yds.  Shoots ever 6.5mm target bullet well except the batch of 140gr A-MAX's I tried for some odd reason.

Lapua brass has much less case capacity, so you have to really work up the loads and not take any book loads as relevant, since most of them have been worked up with Remington brass.

I started off using Winchester 7mm-08 brass, and have gotten at least 5 loads on them pushing the pressures.

Firing pin hole needs to be .068", not .080".  Gas port needs to be cut just right, with gas block sealed well.  Port pressures are much higher with long pills and slow-burning powders, which is another reason to use the 123gr and 130gr with a medium-slow powder, versus H4831SC and RL17, which work great in .260 Rem bolt guns.

Feel free to email me for some other technical perspectives I have been looking at.

I really think both the .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed would be best served with factory loads meant for gassers, because they exhibit all kinds of problems in most AR10's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He would love that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGENDA

He would love that.

Not if it got posted on youTube:
"Tightest Ass Evar!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Could you imagine a Friday afternoon squadron formation before a 3-day weekend, with him giving the safety briefing?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hey guys, can one of you answer to the guy on facebook - the answer is two different scopes, it's written on the cardboard..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hey guys, can one of you answer to the guy on facebook - the answer is two different scopes, it's written on the cardboard..

Rafael Gutierrez

Can you explain the lower point of impact after the 1,025 rounds? Just curious.

Done
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Do tankers carry ARs on board ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you imagine a Friday afternoon squadron formation before a 3-day weekend, with him giving the safety briefing?

Do tankers carry ARs on board ?

Not that I saw unless they were the passengers weapons ...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy fuck, I think NF may actually be the Major from Heartbreak Ridge incarnate! Mr. Supply gone Infantry CO lol. The more I look at NF, he needs to stay in his lane, which clearly is not rifles and "runnin and gunnin".
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

His drill weekend would be over before the brief was even finished.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Reading the comments in this thread and on the tube make me go . So many idiots jumping on the TNP bandwagon bashing anyone that brings in some logic to the situation. I support LaRue because they make good stuff and they're local to me. I also liked watching NF videos when I had enough time. He's turned me on to a few good purchases I would have never found out about on my own.

He's always been the reviewer that brought out the stuff that was good quality for the money and never really bad mouthed anybody. This was pretty much a low point in his Youtube career. He let his ego get in the way of making a fair video given so many variables at play. 500k subs is no number to scoff at, especially if you're LaRue. A lot of people take his word as gospel and will walk away thinking LaRue's products are no good.

This whole thing stinks like click baiting and if NF is doing this at LaRue's expense to get a few extra ad dollars for himself, it's pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Does the Air Force even do safety briefings before a 3-day weekend?  I thought every weekend in the Air Force was a 3-day?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With him leading it, can it still be called a BRIEFing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok guys I want to start this driill weekend off with a knife check, COME ON GUYS KNIFE CHECK TIME! We are all battfield warrior airmen, so who wants to lead us in the morning reciting of the airman's creed? ... GUYS WHERE IS YOUR MOTIVATION!

I wonder why all of my planes end up red x'd in GO81 right before kick off time ...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, monday morning will have rolled around and they'd still be in formation listening to his Philosophy of Use for liberty.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Lol, monday morning will have rolled around and they'd still be in formation listening to his Philosophy of Use for liberty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How silly ... formations end after basic for the Guard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor abused tOBR needs a good home

Yeah, might as well send that upper to IG. He did a boat load of work and that upper is now un-sellable.

Do it. I'll cover shipping. No shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As to Nutnfancy, perhaps it's my civic duty to shoot out a facebook post aimed at other industry professionals - extolling this tale of woe, lay out the facts, tell them they might ought to get a hard copy of any and all Nutnfancy videos he's done on them.  They'll know to then hunker down and wait for it.

???

ETA - Meh, maybe his rip job will magically disappear and things go back to normal.  It will take a while to construct a detailed facebook post.  That'll give Nutn a few hours.
View Quote

I can see a future where google glasses will place a relevancy-based bubble over the people's heads when you encounter them in public, with their screen names, youtube channels, twitter posts, and facebook rants that are related to your digital signature.

That skunk cloud will get much bigger with some people....

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Man its impossible to make a concise and perfectly flowing video when Nutn himself jumps all over the place.... Oh well, uploading part 2.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As to Nutnfancy, perhaps it's my civic duty to shoot out a facebook post aimed at other industry professionals - extolling this tale of woe, lay out the facts, tell them they might ought to get a hard copy of any and all Nutnfancy videos he's done on them.  They'll know to then hunker down and wait for it.

???

ETA - Meh, maybe his rip job will magically disappear and things go back to normal.  It will take a while to construct a detailed facebook post.  That'll give Nutn a few hours.
View Quote

I'd be wary of anything that might be construed as business interference. He could well have commercial relationships he hasn't disclosed. (I don't mean to imply that he does or doesn't or that I have any special knowledge thereof...just that it's a possibility.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd be wary of anything that might be construed as business interference. He could well have commercial relationships he hasn't disclosed. (I don't mean to imply that he does or doesn't or that I have any special knowledge thereof...just that it's a possibility.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

That sounds like it would be rather unethical for a media figure such as himself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That sounds like it would be rather unethical for a media figure such as himself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

Eh...the whole firearms media industry is as clean as a 30 year old Thai lady boy.  Even Intacto can buy a glowing article in a rag.  I'm sure there are firearms journalists of the highest integrity.  The hit piece Nuttbutter has created doesn't lead me to believe he's one of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No calipers, we are doing this to Nutn spec, you only get compressed air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Vne zeroing calipers to measure gas port while swatting at mosquitoes and wiping sweat from his eyes.

No calipers, we are doing this to Nutn spec, you only get compressed air.

Trojy with a straw?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
From the video description:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
This whole thing stinks like click baiting and if NF is doing this at LaRue's expense to get a few extra ad dollars for himself, it's pretty shitty.

From the video description:
Published on Jan 24, 2015

Over a six year period I tried to get this $1200 LaRue "Stealth Upper” working. It had reliability problems out of the box. As you will see in this video along with paper proof, LaRue was given several opportunities to fix it. They didn't. WAY too much time and money was spent on this ONE gun in TNP and yet, not willing to write off this large expense, I stuck to it. This 20 inch LaRue Stealth AR-15 upper was unable to reliably cycle all ammunition even after multiple component exchanges like lowers, bolt carriers/bolts, buffers, springs, triggers, gas tubes, and gas blocks. Nearing the end of my patience and time I almost threw it in the garbage and wrote it off. But my hunch was right [shown in our weapons log writeup], shocking that such an action would even be necessary for a LaRue. It worked [see video and the results] and I, not LaRue rescued this gun from oblivion. What resulted is exactly what I wanted: a supremely accurate, reliable, desert AR-15 ready to range out to 600 yards and hit harder with 77 grain loads. Pulling TNP crew footage from SIX hard drives to tell this hard hitting story, the video will take you on a sojourn of failure and then redemption./////////////////Nutnfancy Likability Scale as delivered and serviced by LaRue: 0 out of 10 [fan boys jump into your message boards and start those predictable Nutnfancy hate threads. Thanks for the publicity though. LOL!]

He's definitely being a dickbag about it. Problem is, people like RustedAce and Infinitegrim who are trying to point out obvious issues are drowned out by people who want to dogpile NF and the others who want to call people 'LaRue fanboys'.

Edited.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

Tortious interference requires a contractual relationship - me thinks Mark has good "in-house" counsel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#45]
And with Larues update:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rafael Gutierrez

Can you explain the lower point of impact after the 1,025 rounds? Just curious.

i figured the barrel sagged that far after the 1000 rounds

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/usjet1/media/DC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/usjet1/DC.jpg</a>
View Quote

Needs to be holding a paper bag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Early in the war there was a huge shortage of LRF, binos, spotting scopes, mounts, and rifle scopes. Lots of them were provided free, no questions asked, by ML and others.

I'm not a LaRue fanboi, but I'll never forget that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So many people are humping Larues legs.

Yeah well when our nephew needed optics for his SAW and later for his M110 I don't recall you getting them to him in Afghanistan......for free.

-for one thing

Early in the war there was a huge shortage of LRF, binos, spotting scopes, mounts, and rifle scopes. Lots of them were provided free, no questions asked, by ML and others.

I'm not a LaRue fanboi, but I'll never forget that.
The whole fanboy thing is getting ridiculous. Online it's like calling someone a racist. Nobody wants to be called a fanboy and other people use it like 'racist' to silence opponents.

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top