Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 4:47:30 AM EDT
Anyone tried making one of these? I want to build one just for the hell of it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use the ice from your refrigerator you're not actually cooling your house. Thermodynamics, bitches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you use the ice from your refrigerator you're not actually cooling your house. Thermodynamics, bitches.
View Quote

More of a "tailgate AC" with dry ice or 1 gallon frozen water jugs you brought.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, it's all good. I just leave the refrigerator door open.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
PI's have been using "swamp coolers" inside surveillance vehicles for years. Only recently did most cars start coming with electric radiator cooling systems, you can run most oof those cars all day long with the ac at full blast and not overheat them. The old fan/clutch style coolers would overheat, that's why you saw police cars idling with their hoods up.

PI's would make those swamp coolers so they could stay longer in a parked car without the engine running. They're a great way to catch pneumonia with extended use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Better than nothing but definitely don't expect to be cool. I drive a VW bus with no AC and in the summer, my dogs and I are sweating our balls off. Our homemade "AC unit" does a little more than a good fan. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top