User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my Golden retrievers ashes sit in their boxes on my desk, they would never leave me in life and I won't leave them behind. I don't leave my friends
View Quote

I sorta felt funny about doing the cremation thing at first however, I kept going back to when my parents moved from the house I grew up in. I wasn't particularly sad about them moving from the home but I was totally fucking torn up over my childhood dog buried in the back being "left behind".

Call me silly, or gay or whatever some 'tard in GD will come up with, but for me personally I didn't like the idea of leaving a good buddy behind.

So the more recently departed Coco rests in a nice box in my office and she'll go with me into the ground.

In real life she never left my side, shoudn't be any different in death IMO.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't "bury" him like Medicfrost did to Motherfucker.

All my dogs and cats were buried with all the care I could give in places they loved to be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I sorta felt funny about doing the cremation thing at first however, I kept going back to when my parents moved from the house I grew up in. I wasn't particularly sad about them moving from the home but I was totally fucking torn up over my childhood dog buried in the back being "left behind".

Call me silly, or gay or whatever some 'tard in GD will come up with, but for me personally I didn't like the idea of leaving a good buddy behind.

So the more recently departed Coco rests in a nice box in my office and she'll go with me into the ground.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my Golden retrievers ashes sit in their boxes on my desk, they would never leave me in life and I won't leave them behind. I don't leave my friends

I like that idea. I was going to build a casket for my cat when she passes but I might go this route. I raised her from before she could see,bottle fed her, and even had to teach her how to go to the bathroom.
That cat is like a child to me and I wanted to do something special for her when she goes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you can always have him cremated and scatter ashes or keep them....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said sir.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always sad to lose a four legged member of the family.
We have a spot in the back corner of the property, kids make headstones out of pavers they paint.

Little funny moment, my youngest son was maybe 4 years old, he didn't know the right word, says to me one morning, daddy can we go to the ........? To the what honey, where do you want to go?
To the place where we plant all the pets who die, daddy. I want to visit Jake.  Of course honey, let's go.

View Quote

Is it dusty in here or what?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The trash can pic was in poor taste, but there's a story about Buddy and one.
15 years or so ago, I was deployed for 6 months in Kosovo and my wife was pregnant with my son.
Now we got Buddy from my wife's friend (who hand raised and bottle-fed him). She gave him up to us because, as a little 13 week, runt-of-the-litter kitten, he was punking the year old cat that we had given her (who was freakishly smart and about 3-4 times Buddy's size). Buddy had established dominance and wouldn't let Socks (the other cat) eat. Since whenever my wife came to her house, Buddy was always in her lap, she offered him to us.
So fast-forward about 6-8 months to October. We were living in on-post housing on Ft. Bragg (Spear Drive in Bougainville). Wife walked my daughter to school in the morning, and when she came back, she noticed Buddy on the side of the house (we were on a end unit of a row of duplexes) not moving. He has a 6" gash in his right side and his intestines are coming out. She grabbed a paper shopping bag, and puts him in it. The whole time he's not moving.
Not knowing what to do with him, she put the bag in the trash can on top of the trash, which was full because the next day was pick-up. She goes inside, crying (remember she's pregnant too) thinking he's dead.
About a hour or so later, she comes out back to get the mop, and she hears a real faint meow coming out of the trash can. Buddy had woke up and was trying to get out.
So she took him to Dr. Black, a 80+ year old vet in Fayetteville, who sewed him up. The diagnosis was that Buddy had gotten in a fight with a squirrel living in the tree in our front courtyard. My wife didn't tell me the cost until way later, but she calls him her "$2000 free cat". I would have been pissed if I knew at the time, but looking back after 15 years it was worth it.
His entire life he has been the alpha animal in the house despite his average fighting weight of 8 pounds. The 70 pound dog we have still gives him space; and up until about 6 months ago we rarely had any squirrels in our yard.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My past dogs were all cremated. I plan on being cremated also. mix our ashes together and throw us in the trash
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always sad to lose a four legged member of the family.
We have a spot in the back corner of the property, kids make headstones out of pavers they paint.

Little funny moment, my youngest son was maybe 4 years old, he didn't know the right word, says to me one morning, daddy can we go to the ........? To the what honey, where do you want to go?
To the place where we plant all the pets who die, daddy. I want to visit Jake.  Of course honey, let's go.

Damn dust!

We had our Blue Heeler cremated. Yes it cost a little money. Not much. We don't have children and it was devastating to lose our girl after 14 years.
It's just not right that such sweet spirits only get such a short time here.
We keep her ashes in a canopic style jar with Anubis on the lid.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you can always have him cremated and scatter ashes or keep them....
View Quote

Do this,,,,,
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#11]
condolences OP.    cremation sounds like a good route, even if you scatter at your current home.

Makes me glad I live on the family ranch.   Sounds stupid, but I've always been close to the best buds you grow up with.    Good to know where they are all at.

Being rural I've always dug a hole by hand, then used a tractor to pile wood/branches over it so they don't get dug up.

Then light the bonfire about a year later.     Good fit for a animal like that I think.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Put my dog down 2 weeks ago tonight.
Wife bought a "headstone" with a container in it for the ashes. Its about 9" x12" and easily portable.
Have the vet come to the house!.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the cat means that much to you don't drop him at the vet for disposal.
Pay the vet to come to your house if you plan on putting it down.  
You'll feel better about it and the cats last experience won't be fearful in a strange place.

Wife bought a "headstone" with a container in it for the ashes. Its about 9" x12" and easily portable.

Out of curiosity, when the vet does this at your house do they typically take the deceased with them and take care of cremation or is that on you? My lab is getting up there and I'm dreading the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok, I laughed.  Shoot me.

It's not like he said to throw grandma in the wood chipper.  Lighten up folks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url=http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-5689600enh-z8.jpg]http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-5689600enh-z8.jpg[/url

Ok, I laughed.  Shoot me.

It's not like he said to throw grandma in the wood chipper.  Lighten up folks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Really. We had the one member video himself throwing his turtle in the trash can with his phone playing bagpipe music and it went about 6 pages with everyone telling him how awesome he was.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
His entire life he has been the alpha animal in the house despite his average fighting weight of 8 pounds. The 70 pound dog we have still gives him space; and up until about 6 months ago we rarely had any squirrels in our yard.

View Quote

My coco dog was the same way. She was just over 50lbs and would give a wide birth to our black cat BifGif. Bif is 8lbs if she hasn't taken a dump.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, when the vet does this at your house do they typically take the deceased with them and take care of cremation or is that on you? My lab is getting up there and I'm dreading the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll feel better about it and the cats last experience won't be fearful in a strange place.

We knew things were getting close. We had previously discussed treatment for our dog who had developed  bone cancer.
We asked they vet how we would know when enough was enough, she said , your dog will let you know. Several weeks after that conversation. Our dog got to the point she couldn't move.

I don't know what is typical but in my case, yes it was a service they offered.
We set up with the vets office to come to our house. When we did that they asked us about arraignments for burial or cremation. We chose cremation.
They took her body. A few days later we picked up her ashes.

Sorry, more dust getting me.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I've mentioned it before in one of these threads, but the last time I had to have a cat put down I had the vet come over and carry out the procedure. My buddy got to go sitting my on lap in the back yard, in the sun, content, and smelling the breeze.  Infinitely better than the vets office.

ETA I took care of taking his remains to the crematorium. I paid for the individual cremation and got back his ashes in a little box and a paw print. Like some other folks have said I don't like the idea of burying my animals in the backyard. Someday I'll be moving and while I won't miss the house knowing I left my friends behind would be hard.  With cremation someday we'll all go into the ground together.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We knew things were getting close. We had previously discussed treatment for our dog who had developed  bone cancer.
We asked they vet how we would know when enough was enough, she said , your dog will let you know. Several weeks after that conversation. Our dog got to the point she couldn't move.

We set up with the vets office to come to our house. When we did that they asked us about arraignments for burial or cremation. We chose cremation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the info. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#19]
we have had two dogs a Parrot, and a Macaw cremated, their ashes are in nice Oak boxes on the head board of our bed with their pictures behind glass like picture frames that are three sided, when two of the boxes are placed back to back they form a hexagon.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah talked to wifey and we'll probably go the cremation route. We'll leave him in our next flower garden next to some azaleas and mint (it's his catnip).

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure glad I already had a certain poster on ignore.

OP, sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the sentiments guys. He's still chugging along at the moment, but his activity level is drastically lower.

This sucks.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Backstory is that the cat in my avatar has a tumor in his abdomen and a enlarged spleen. He's 16 years old and an awesome cat on several levels. He's still social, mobile and eating, so we're basically making him comfortable, but the big decision will come eventually.

Afterwards, though....

It just sucks when the guy survived 7 PCS moves and almost an entire career gets dumped off at the vet, buried in a rental, or whatever. Shit, he's older than my real son.  I'm not suggesting that I want to tote his remains around for the rest of my life; far from it, just seems he deserves a little more dignity than that.

What have you guys done? What is reasonable?
View Quote

My dogs are buried in my parents back yard under trees.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My dogs are buried in my parents back yard under trees.
View Quote
Yeah this PCSing every 3 years is getting old as I do. Now I just want to settle in a semi-permanent home rather than a chain of rentals.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Backstory is that the cat in my avatar has a tumor in his abdomen and a enlarged spleen. He's 16 years old and an awesome cat on several levels. He's still social, mobile and eating, so we're basically making him comfortable, but the big decision will come eventually.

Afterwards, though....

It just sucks when the guy survived 7 PCS moves and almost an entire career gets dumped off at the vet, buried in a rental, or whatever. Shit, he's older than my real son.  I'm not suggesting that I want to tote his remains around for the rest of my life; far from it, just seems he deserves a little more dignity than that.

What have you guys done? What is reasonable?
View Quote

With my dog we had her cremated. She died at home in her sleep. The vet took care of everything, took about a week to get her ashes back. One the vet techs did a clay impession of her paw and painted it with her name for us for free, which was pretty nice. The impression sits next to a pic of her on shelf . We took her ashes to our place up north were she absolutlly loved to go and buried her under her favorite tree. As I recall it was about 100bucks for the cremation and small box for the ashes. She was a Weimaraner so she was close to 70lbs when she died and I think that they base the price on size.

Hope this helps

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
My pets were always buried.  The last one, my 3rd Lab, was cremated, since I don't have any ground.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I had to have my 14 year old American Bulldog put down in Dec. It was a difficult decision to make, but it was time. For his entire life all he ever wanted to do was please me and be with me. I was obligated to give him a proper burial. If I hadn't have access to a permanent sight, I would have had him cremated.

I dug a 3 foot grave on my parents land ahead of time. I'm glad I did, because it was raining hard the day I put him in it.

I was in the room with him and the Veterinarian. In his last moments, my dog nuzzled his head in my right hand as a scratched his ears with the other.

I had a fear of the coyotes or wild dogs digging him up. After I placed him in his grave, I covered him with 100lbs of concrete, 20+ softball~to football sized stone, and dirt. I also rolled a 300+ lb boulder over his grave to mark it.

I miss my buddy very much, but his life and death could not have happened better.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:54:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Not to hijack the thread but I've been wanting to ask the hive's opinion on this subject for a while.  I lost my pet cat Racer a couple of years ago and built a "casket" for her and buried her in the back yard.  Since then I've moved and have the place she's buried at up for sale.  Part of me thinks leaving her there is fitting since she lived at that home for all of the 12 years of her life, yet part of me wants to dig her up and bury her at our current home since it kind of makes me feel like I'm leaving her behind.  Thoughts??
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I live in the country and I have heavy equipment. When our animals die be it a pet cat or dog or a cow they get buried somewhere out back. I don't mark the spots it never even really crossed my mind. I have lost pets that I miss  but I think it is rather silly to make a big deal about their remains. They are animals not humans. Do whatever makes you feel good I guess. Sorry for what you are facing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:31:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I fully intend on giving my cats a gnarly Viking funeral when their time comes.
View Quote

I'm with you on that: That sounds like quite the appropriate ceremony plan for the Norwegian Forest Cat who has been with us almost 18 years now.

Everyone in this picture, except the two greyhounds, will be 18 later this year...

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#31]
This thread brings back memories of poor little Porch Monkey...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1667281_RIP_Porch_Monkey__the_cat_____FUNERAL_VIDEO_ADDED__.html

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top