Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Speer Gold Dots or FMJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As you wish. You have probably vetted your gun and the ammo it prefers.
For others to simply dismiss .380 as not expanding or lacking sufficient penetration, the tests he did are informative.
If you are a .45.>9 guy, this is all moot anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FMJ in a .380, better penetration and .380 HP doesn't expand much anyway.

Correct answer.

You didn't watch shootingthebull's videos either I see.

He strikes me as "odd"
A lot of 32 and 380s have issues with HPs. I'll stick with hot FMJs.

As you wish. You have probably vetted your gun and the ammo it prefers.
For others to simply dismiss .380 as not expanding or lacking sufficient penetration, the tests he did are informative.
If you are a .45.>9 guy, this is all moot anyway.

I'm a 45>9 guy but I'm also a 32 or 380 > pointy stick guy.
I carry either a P32 KelTec  or a P3AT about 50% of the time, a glock in 40 short and weak about 40%(got in trade, decided to give it a try, 20 days into a 3 month trial), and a NAA 22 the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless things have changed over the years you can load better 380 ammo
than you can buy. The European stuff is generally loaded hotter than what

is loaded domestically too. I am still shooting 380's I loaded 25 years ago..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Corbon 80 grain DPX in my Ruger LCP and SIG P232.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a great test video on YouTube. Look for it. They tested a lot of common brands that you would think would be good. It was surprising to see Speer and Federal fall short and Hornady was dogshit. The only brand that got consistent 12"+ penetration was some brand I was unfamiliar with. It was even better than Buffalo Bore which was my first choice. Seriously, do some research. .380 isn't the anemic caliber in HP it once was if you go with the right brand.

?

http://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

Not bad. I have a PPK/s I'll probably carry once in a while, and will probably look at either the Armscor or Browning mini-1911 in .380 this year. As the video says, pretty much anything in the XTP and the Federal Hydrashok are likely GTG. The mini-1911s should have a full 4" barrel, which will help with velocity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been using Hyrdashocks for years, good to see that my choice was one of the top finishers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Precision One XTP
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gold Dots.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know that 9mm is better.  I have plenty of 9mm pistols.  This gun is for pocket carry.

I bought a M&P Bodyguard last week on an impulse.   What carry ammo should I buy?

This looks pretty nice.

BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE 380 Auto +P Ammo - 80 gr. Barnes TAC-XP
View Quote

That's my exact carry ammo for a .380. They run those bullets HOT, and the JHP in that same round fragment on impact with water. All copper is the only choice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Lehigh defense maximum penetration. Nothing close IMO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ball
View Quote

In the form of LRN!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lehigh defense maximum penetration. Nothing close IMO.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Plenty of youtube videos with 380 tests. FMJ does not do well nor do some of the main "name" brands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Interesting. I didn't know that ball ammo was better to run. I have some Hornady critical defense rounds for the wife's 380. I'll have to swap them out for some fmj.

View Quote
Please don't do that. Please watch the comparison people have posted in this thread by shootingthebull. FMJ is not necessary if you pick a quality HP brand that performs properly. He compares dozens and comes up with 3 top ones. I find Fiocchi Extrema the easiest to find in stores.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This, plus better feeding in pocket guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, plus better feeding in pocket guns.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for Speer Gold Dots -- does pretty good in the FBI standards tests, fairly easy to find, loads consistently in my G42 (amazingly.... one of the only rounds that does!).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal Hydrashoks run reliably in my wifes G42 and are one of the top performers in .380acp
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In true arfcom fashion, get both- a good hp and stagger it with high quality ball in the mag.
View Quote

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to suggest a "candy cane."

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Federal Hydrashoks run reliably in my wifes G42 and are one of the top performers in .380acp
View Quote
I use hydrashoks too. Being an old design which doesn't expand as well as modern bullets actually leads it to penetrating far enough.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to suggest a "candy cane."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In true arfcom fashion, get both- a good hp and stagger it with high quality ball in the mag.

A lot of people load a JHP in the chamber of a .32 acp handgun then load the mag with FMJ for reliability due to the potential for rim lock.
Some persons do this with 380 too. I have encountered several handguns which won't run reliably with some HPs or truncated cone bullets.
In these guns, it's a good idea to run round nose FMJ. A jammed pocket pistol usually isn't long enough to be a reliable club and too light to be a decent rock.

Edit ipad autoincorrect drives me friggin nuts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A lot of people load a JHP in the chamber of a .32 acp handgun then load the mag with FMJ for reliability due to the potential for rim lock.
Some persons do this with 380 too. I have encountered several handguns which won't run reliably with some HPs or truncated cone bullets.
In these guns, it's a good idea to run round nose FMJ. A jammed pocket pistol usually isn't long enough to be a reliable club and too light to be a decent rock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sometimes use a JHP in the chamber of a .380, and FMJ behind it in the mag stack.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top