Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is it bad, that I want the commies whacked EVERY episode?
View Quote

No.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  I particularly want Oleg to wind up in an industrial meat grinder every episode.  Though, it's hard not to find myself rooting for Phillip and Elizabeth (especially Elizabeth ).  Stan is becoming more of a turd every episode.  It almost seems like they're lining him up to discover Phillip and Elizabeth's identities, resulting in them offing him.  They've taken him from a family man with a badass background after going undercover to take down some KKK members, to becoming a cheating Commie lover who is now estranged from his family and holding enough skeletons to get himself fired, jailed, and/or killed.  It's hard to like him anymore.  I don't see him lasting much longer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, that disposal scene was a little brutal.

Snap.

Crack.

Tucked and stuffed.
View Quote

Yeah, I had a hard time with that.  That kind of thing makes me cringe worse than blood for some reason.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Just in case you forgot.  We won, the commies lost.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nope.  I particularly want Oleg to wind up in an industrial meat grinder every episode.  Though, it's hard not to find myself rooting for Phillip and Elizabeth (especially Elizabeth ).  Stan is becoming more of a turd every episode.  It almost seems like they're lining him up to discover Phillip and Elizabeth's identities, resulting in them offing him.  They've taken him from a family man with a badass background after going undercover to take down some KKK members, to becoming a cheating Commie lover who is now estranged from his family and holding enough skeletons to get himself fired, jailed, and/or killed.  It's hard to like him anymore.  I don't see him lasting much longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't see the opening Oleg gave Stan to become an even bigger piece of shit?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I want them to get away with it.  They are great characters.

(And it is a tv show anyway).
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You didn't see the opening Oleg gave Stan to become an even bigger piece of shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Stan will get them in the end, but look how far he has fallen as a man in the process.

Maybe the whole show is a metaphor for the things we as a nation had to do to win the Cold War, and the repercussions of many of those things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope we get an all Stan episode with a flashback to his undercover op.  Just something to shake things up and give us more of his perspective.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll watch season 2 if the assholes ever put it out on Blue Ray.  I bought the DVD from amazon. Just fucking terrible, picture.
Only movie I've ever returned.
How they can put the first season out on Blue Ray. Then not do the second season the same is beyond me.
View Quote

THIS +1000000 im so tired of people not putting stuff on blu ray, I watched them broadcast in hd why the hell is it so hard to put stuff on blu ray
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Very, I liked her a lot. I'm always impressed with the cars they use, where do they find them ? Beeman has some set of cojones on him, did anyone else spot Kornheiser from Pardon The Interruption in the sports bar ? Speaking about the sports bar, did the even exist back then ? It looked a little too Hooters like, right ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Snap.

Crack.

Tucked and stuffed.
Very, I liked her a lot. I'm always impressed with the cars they use, where do they find them ? Beeman has some set of cojones on him, did anyone else spot Kornheiser from Pardon The Interruption in the sports bar ? Speaking about the sports bar, did the even exist back then ? It looked a little too Hooters like, right ?  
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/05/tony-kornheiser-makes-cameo-in-fxs-the-americans/

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good start

Heat is coming.
View Quote

I watched both episdoes last night.

I was hoping for more lesbian biting each other in the opener this year...

I am looking forward to this season, the first two have been great.

Still dig last year.. "Tell Nina, I am sorry."

I like the busted FBI agents face and the jokes...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Keri Russel. Sooo hot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keri Russel. Sooo hot.
View Quote

i would strap her on like a gas mask
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Snap.

Crack.

Tucked and stuffed.
View Quote

That shit almost turned my stomach, holy fuck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maybe Stan will get them in the end, but look how far he has fallen as a man in the process.

Maybe the whole show is a metaphor for the things we as a nation had to do to win the Cold War, and the repercussions of many of those things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find myself hoping Stan has a plan.  Some double-double agent shit where in the end, he gets the illegals and Oleg and the Soviet CoS, and finds a little redemption.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snap.

Crack.

Tucked and stuffed.

I was eating an order of chicken wings during that scene, and it *almost*, almost put me off.  

Truly gruesome scene.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I find myself hoping Stan has a plan.  Some double-double agent shit where in the end, he gets the illegals and Oleg and the Soviet CoS, and finds a little redemption.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I don't like him anymore.  During the first season and first half of the second, I'd be hoping for the same thing.  But he's developed into a turd of a character and I don't like him anymore.  He's become a liability to their counter spy operation, as well as a whiny bitch who brought all of his problems on himself.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think the show is preachy.  It's actually fairly "Merica".
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Meh, I don't like him anymore.  During the first season and first half of the second, I'd be hoping for the same thing.  But he's developed into a turd of a character and I don't like him anymore.  He's become a liability to their counter spy operation, as well as a whiny bitch who brought all of his problems on himself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<multiple snips>

Big time.  IMHO if they keep him as a key character, he needs to flip things around and get righteous, and deal the with repercussions of his weakness.  If they keep him going down this current path, he needs to catch a bullet or a cold prison cell.  I'd prefer seeing him have a come-to-Jesus epiphany and do the right thing.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#21]
What might be interesting is if they continue to push the daughter into being a spy is a divide between Elizabeth and Phillip where Phillip flips sides to the US.

He considered it in the first season.

He could be a double agent for the Americans while still pretending to be with the Soviets.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He could be a double agent for the Americans while still pretending to be with the Soviets.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What might be interesting is if they continue to push the daughter into being a spy is a divide between Elizabeth and Phillip where Phillip flips sides to the US.

View Quote
I hadn't really thought about that.  Do you think he could play his own wife?

I was thinking more along the lines of Paige seeming to be somewhat liberal(anti-nuke, anti-Reagan), but not all that knowledgeable (completely ignored news of Breshnev's death), and also suspicious of her parents.  She could easily play both sides, but that story line could take seasons.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was thinking more along the lines of Paige seeming to be somewhat liberal(anti-nuke, anti-Reagan), but not all that knowledgeable (completely ignored news of Breshnev's death), and also suspicious of her parents.  She could easily play both sides, but that story line could take seasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paige playing both sides would certainly be interesting and something I mentioned earlier.   It would take seasons, and I would be alright with that!

Glad Nina is still involved in the storyline.  interesting story arc.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Philip either ends up dead or killing Elizabeth and flipping.   He would be perfectly content living out the rest of his days a yuppie.

If only he can manage to stay alive and out of jail for another 10 years

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.....Elizabeth is definitely more "red" than Phillip.  

Loved that they cast Frank Langella this year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know if Phillip could play Elizabeth for very long before she realized it. Of the two, Phillip would be the one most willing to just disappear and fade anonymously into American society.  Elizabeth on the other hand,  is definitely a true
believer.  I doubt she would stop unless there was some epic turning point, the type that makes her re-evaluate everything she believes.
It's probable the Center already realizes Phillip will try to thwart their
plans regarding Paige, based on his past behavior and comments.  I
doubt there is any coincidence regarding the "old friend" back with
them, reminiscing of home, recordings from Elizabeth's mother
(who now happens to be dying), discussions of how proud Elizabeth's mom is
of her doing her duty...  I can see the Center using Elizabeth and her devotion to the motherland and the mission, to drive a wedge
into their family or even kill Phillip, in order to accomplish their plan.
Which direction Paige decides to follow will be quite an interesting development, I think.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't know if Phillip could play Elizabeth for very long before she realized it. Of the two, Phillip would be the one most willing to just disappear and fade anonymously into American society.  Elizabeth on the other hand,  is definitely a true believer.  I doubt she would stop unless there was some epic turning point, the type that makes her re-evaluate everything she believes.

It's probable the Center already realizes Phillip will try to thwart their plans regarding Paige, based on his past behavior and comments.  I doubt there is any coincidence regarding the "old friend" back with them, reminiscing of home, recordings from Elizabeth's mother (who now happens to be dying), discussions of how proud Elizabeth's mom is of her doing her duty...  I can see the Center using Elizabeth and her devotion to the motherland and the mission, to drive a wedge into their family or even kill Phillip, in order to accomplish their plan.

Which direction Paige decides to follow will be quite an interesting development, I think.

View Quote

I think their older handler is simply there because of the problems associated with his successors.  I'm not so sure that he's there specifically because of doubts regarding Philip.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope the series ends with Elizabeth watching the fall of The Berlin Wall on tv with a tear in her eye.  Then she eats a bullet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hope the series ends with Elizabeth watching the fall of The Berlin Wall on tv with a tear in her eye.  Then she eats a bullet.
View Quote

After she kills Phillip of course.

Then Paige and her brother go to live with a rich black man in  a reverse Different Strokes scenario.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Read today that the Jennings ex-handler Claudia, is coming back in Season 3.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]
elizabeth is hard core
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Yay - medieval dentistry.  

I'm thinking Phillip is going to flip his shit at some point regarding
the Center's desire for Paige to become a second-gen illegal - they're pushing too hard too early for his liking.  Maybe the
tipping point for him to flip?

Wonder if they'll get into the back-story of Stan and the undercover 88er case?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#35]
We hate commies. You can't tell me that you don't root for Phillip and Elizabeth, it's just the way the show is structured. Anyways, that was a nice maneuver, the way she got away from the spooks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw Elizabeth's ass and it was magnificent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Read today that the Jennings ex-handler Claudia, is coming back in Season 3.

View Quote

Awesome. Margo Martindale is way too good for that crap Will Arnett sitcom, glad to see her doing quality TV again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Stan is about to double-down on the stupid.

If you see the options presented to him right now, you know what is about to happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

She'd kill him in a heartbeat if he flipped.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I have just finished Season 2, thanks Amazon, so I haven't watched any of Season 3.

The description of this being a chess match and slow is spot on, but so was the game during the Cold War. This show is also far more dramatized but it had its moments. It took half way into Season 2 before we did anything right with the disinformation effort that resulted in a shoddy propeller killing some Soviets. Not the goal of that sort of stuff but it still creates mistrust of the leadership in the people who collected it, so a win for us at that point.

I see (again, no season 3 for me yet) going one way with Stan... he becomes Robert Hanssen or close to it. The rule about not falling in love with a source/asset is true and its not always romantic love. Some people just believe their shit won't stink and they can never terminate the relationship. He's doing just that and I easily see him being recruited and being run by Phillip and Elizabeth in disguise until something happens.

I love the fact they introduced stealth and ARPANET into this. If they had read The Cuckoo's Egg they might of had another angle to approach ARPANET. The Andrew Lerrick character is awesome and blackmail of someone's sexuality was a touchy subject, even today, to broach in this vein but they did it beautifully. Glad to see him take his own revenge out on the illegals though.

I wonder how long before someone in Russia flips and becomes a Oleg Gordievsky type character. He flipped on Soviet espionage operations in London, defected to the British.

I'd really love to see an investigation by the FBI unravel a ring like what happened with Clyde Conrad. We're in what 1982 or so at this point? I hope the show keeps enough interest or speeds up to the Year of the Spy (1988) when the Soviet rings in the US began to crumple...
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#42]
There's so many real-life events that could be interesting plot elements..  

Gerhardt's arrest, Reagan's Evil Empire and SDI speeches, KAL 007, the boycotted 1984 Olympics...
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
It cured my polio!

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks like NBC is debuting what appears to be a rip off show: "Allegience".
View Quote

Only seen the first episode so far, but Allegiance is more of a "best detective in the universe is the son of Russian spies, FUCK" show. Paige isn't in the same league, from what little investigation she did.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We hate commies. You can't tell me that you don't root for Phillip and Elizabeth, it's just the way the show is structured. Anyways, that was a nice maneuver, the way she got away from the spooks.
View Quote
I honestly watch to see the FBI close the net in on them and tighten the noose cause I can't wait to see them hang. I can't root against america even in fiction
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like Stan is maybe doubting the Russian defector's motives, by her saying "exactly what they want to hear.  People love being told they are right."

The Jennings son makes an appearance this episode.  Nice touch with him having a sexy photo of mrs. Beaman.

Elizabeth's ass also makes another welcome appearance.

No doubt this show ends it's run with the FBI busting the Jennings, but it's the slow chess match that makes the shows interesting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#47]
When the jennings are busted, I hope they dedicate an entire episode to Keri Russell's very invasive strip search.  

Be thorough guys, who knows where on her body she could have hid the microfilm!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When the jennings are busted, I hope they dedicate an entire episode to Keri Russell's very invasive strip search.  

Be thorough guys, who knows where on her body she could have hid the microfilm!
View Quote

She will obviously have the microfilm hidden in her new fake tooth that she'll need to have made after this weeks episode.

But, like you said, they should be thorough.

That body be banging.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Looks like Stan is maybe doubting the Russian defector's motives, by her saying "exactly what they want to hear.  People love being told they are right."

The Jennings son makes an appearance this episode.  Nice touch with him having a sexy photo of mrs. Beaman.

Elizabeth's ass also makes another welcome appearance.

No doubt this show ends it's run with the FBI busting the Jennings, but it's the slow chess match that makes the shows interesting.
View Quote

I think that was Stan's statement in response to the other agent's inquiry as to exactly what he had to do to get the 88ers to trust him and let him in the group.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have just finished Season 2, thanks Amazon, so I haven't watched any of Season 3.
The description of this being a chess match and slow is spot on, but so was the game during the Cold War. This show is also far more dramatized but it had its moments. It took half way into Season 2 before we did anything right with the disinformation effort that resulted in a shoddy propeller killing some Soviets. Not the goal of that sort of stuff but it still creates mistrust of the leadership in the people who collected it, so a win for us at that point.
I see (again, no season 3 for me yet) going one way with Stan... he becomes Robert Hanssen or close to it. The rule about not falling in love with a source/asset is true and its not always romantic love. Some people just believe their shit won't stink and they can never terminate the relationship. He's doing just that and I easily see him being recruited and being run by Phillip and Elizabeth in disguise until something happens.
I love the fact they introduced stealth and ARPANET into this. If they had read The Cuckoo's Egg they might of had another angle to approach ARPANET. The Andrew Lerrick character is awesome and blackmail of someone's sexuality was a touchy subject, even today, to broach in this vein but they did it beautifully. Glad to see him take his own revenge out on the illegals though.
I wonder how long before someone in Russia flips and becomes a Oleg Gordievsky type character. He flipped on Soviet espionage operations in London, defected to the British.
I'd really love to see an investigation by the FBI unravel a ring like what happened with Clyde Conrad. We're in what 1982 or so at this point? I hope the show keeps enough interest or speeds up to the Year of the Spy (1988) when the Soviet rings in the US began to crumple...
View Quote

Possible.  I think it would be more prudent for Phillip and Elizabeth to retain the "neighbor" status and not risk their cover, and let other assets work Stan.
We were constantly warned about terrorist groups as well as foreign intelligence agencies in regard to the whole sex as a tool thing.  Not only the potential for blackmail, but also as a lure.  Over in Germany there was the incident where a US Army Specialist (Pimental) was lured out of a club by a female member of the Red Army Faction.  Sometime later that evening he was killed, and his vehicle (or ID/ plates - I can't remember exactly) was used to do the car bombing at Rhein-Main AB in '85.
There are so many things from the era that can be used as background filler or main events for this series.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top