BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

smooth talker, you a motivational speaker or something?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M65 basically sucks and the smoking jacket is almost as overrated as the woobie.

You guys buying new M65s, make sure you have a bum piss on them to get the authentic homeless look and smell.

smooth talker, you a motivational speaker or something?

Well, I am available for speaking engagements.  I can IM you a price sheet and scheduling calender.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You know, going around with that flag on that coat, looking the way you do, you're asking for trouble around these parts friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer not to look homeless in public, and prefer Carharrt/Berne style coats for work, so no.

You know, going around with that flag on that coat, looking the way you do, you're asking for trouble around these parts friend.

WINNER !!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Crazy, druggy, belligerent or fat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hate 'em. Couldn't get mine traded in at the surplus store fast enough after I got chaptered out.

Crazy. Chapter 12.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one I found at a Goodwill and wore for years as a teenager ...dang thing was comfy , but not very warm (no liner)

Quoted:

If you got the scratch, you can buy an American made leather M65. There are also some more budget friendly non American made ones.

You can probably find more if you use google.
View Quote
That's $500 beautiful . . . . .  but not $900 beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 6.  An OD I don't fit into anymore from my AD days, 2 woodland, 1 DCU, 1 ACU and 1 MCU.  When I was deployed and wearing the MCU, every day someone would ask where I got.  More wind resistant than fleece and warmer than goretex.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They SUCK

Cotton and cold WX don't mix.

I still have my Issued woodland from the 1980's in the back of my closet

View Quote

The liner takes care of the cold.
Scotchguard makes it deal with the wet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few. Never had a more abso fucking lutely worthless jacket in my life.  As stupid and useless as the 1911 when compared to anything developed in the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I gave my OD one away many years ago.

They sucked, I liked my wool sweater with a BDU or jungle fatigue shirt over that better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hate 'em. Couldn't get mine traded in at the surplus store fast enough after I got chaptered out.

Literally my exact same thought.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you got the scratch, you can buy an American made leather M65. There are also some more budget friendly non American made ones.

View Quote

The repro M65 is 370 bucks. I have 3 footlockers, 1 sleeping bag, some wool serge outfits you wore under your cotton fatigues (which I may or may not be able to fit into anymore) and a M-65 field coat. It was a brand new spare I had when I etsd in early '75. It has a liner and is still in great shape. I wear it every cold day to walk my wife's dog. It'll probably outlast me.

Oh, yeah. When I opened one of the trunks years ago I found a half dozen vintage Colt 20 round mags. It seemed a shame to have mags for a rifle I didn't have, so..............
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a couple and wear one whenever it rains. Love it
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
still have my old BDU one that I was issued at BMT in 2004

while its not a wide issue item, I actually have seen an ABU Field Jacket
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one in black, with the liner of course.

Got one for my teenage son as well.

Online shops have them new, un-issued, with liner , under $80.
You are not gonna get more coat for the money.
A lot of the plastic coats available for the same price ,won't last 2 seasons.

Comfy , cozy ,cheap,very durable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
This was my Father in 1962 wearing his last issued M65. He gave it to me in 1968 for my 10th birthday.

Ed

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one in black, with the liner of course.

Got one for my teenage son as well.

Online shops have them new, un-issued, with liner , under $80.
You are not gonna get more coat for the money.
A lot of the plastic coats available for the same price ,won't last 2 seasons.

Comfy , cozy ,cheap,very durable.
View Quote

80 bucks will buy any number of better coats, that dont scream "Will work for food."
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't get why people go apeshit over that thing. The goretex jackets were better.

Better still are the multitude of civilian options that don't make you look like a homeless person.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]

I have to admit, that's kinda tempting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I prefer not to look homeless in public.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Holre fruck!

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#20]

I still have my M65 OD issue jacket from 1972 along with 2ea liners. Massive suckage...!

Was also issued a N3B parka ------ 1000% improvement!

Still own and wear a few MA-1, N2B, N3B and a ECWCS. The last time I wore my M65 was Nov 1976...

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"Hero Jacket" Still got my dad's old issue one.  Wore it forever until base cleaners crushed the zipper, now it just hangs in the closet.  I was super cool when My Bodyguard" came out.  Everyone thought I was Adam Baldwin...
View Quote

Dude, replace the zipper or the pull. Fricken genuine ODs in good sizes go for big $.  But fix it because it was your Pop's.

I got a Woodland to replace my issued ones (mine shrank ), dude never badged it up so I could put all my bling on it without a bunch of old stitchholes.  

Got a Multicam one from Tru-Spec, construction is same as GI but the zipper is like a plastic #8 instead of a brass #10

Liners are only made in one length to fit Short, Regular, and Long Field Jackets, but the Parka liners, aka Smoking Jackets, are longer, you can alter one down to cover your butt.  

In Korea it was common to have Momma-San alter a field jacket or parka liner to sew inside of the Wet Weather Parka.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Great freedom of movement, great pockets. Other than that, total shit. Not waterproof or windproof, poor insulation (even with quilted liner), etc. I still have a few in the closets, but never wear them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I want one..

I've been eyeing some vintage ones but never pulled the trigger..Spent way too much money on clothes last year and need to cut back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I've worn the same Rothco M65 jacket with liner as my winter coat for the last 10 years or more. It's black, does that make me look less homeless?

I like throwing it on as I leave the house and just using the snap buttons instead of zipper. Lower pockets hold leather driving gloves as well as wool mittens and a cap.

I don't really wear it out in the woods, I like the ECWCS jacket and layers for that.

Have some of the pants with liners too, they're great. Has to be pretty cold for me to wear them while active though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Prefer the British/European style smocks. Windproof, and some have a waterproof MVP liner like this one. Tons of different models and sizes too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have my Gov't issue M65.

Woodland cammo.

Been to warm this winter here in SoCal.
View Quote

There it is.  They're an excellent winter coat for places without a winter.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I wore my issued OD M65 with liner for about 10 years after I got out. It went in the closet when I started getting Carhartt coats free from work once a year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
As someone who was in Germany for 3 years in a unit that stayed in the field or on the border for 8 months of the year. it is the worst piece of winter gear ever. We only wore them in the spring and fall. We wore custom made tanker jackets and the poncho and blanket rain jackets. I personally wore a tanker jacket, wool shirt, silk long johns and t shirt. Still got cold sometimes. German paratrooper boots, as the Army only issued the cheap combat boots and we turned in the mouse boots, kept your feet warm. In the 70's, we were still using Korean war vintage cold weather gear. I'm amazed at the gear the Army has now. Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Gave my woodland BDU one to my son. Not sure what happened to the original OD one I got in basic, and my DCU one is  hanging in the basement with the liner. If I was going to wear one of my military coats, it would be one of my gortex with a fleece liner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As someone who was in Germany for 3 years in a unit that stayed in the field or on the border for 8 months of the year. it is the worst piece of winter gear ever. We only wore them in the spring and fall. We wore custom made tanker jackets and the poncho and blanket rain jackets. I personally wore a tanker jacket, wool shirt, silk long johns and t shirt. Still got cold sometimes. German paratrooper boots, as the Army only issued the cheap combat boots and we turned in the mouse boots, kept your feet warm. In the 70's, we were still using Korean war vintage cold weather gear. I'm amazed at the gear the Army has now. Mike
View Quote

Oh man, the old poncho and wool blanket Tanker coats were the bomb. kept me warm and dry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I purchased their M80, but the M65 was one of Yamaha's best power amps from the 80's.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill third that statement

ETA Also the M65 sucks as far as Jacket goes.  They are cotton(I dont give a shit if you Scotchard them, they suck if you ever had to go to the field in 35 degree weather with rain)  Anybody that thinks it's a good jacket compared to anytype of Goretex or similar material has no idea what they are talking about
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
my dad smooth wore his original out that kinda happens after 30 years or more of use
this past Christmas I bought him a new one to replace it because he wouldnt pay that much for one
they shouldnt cost more than a few dollars according to him lol

he claims its the best jacket for our mild winters
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ill third that statement

ETA Also the M65 sucks as far as Jacket goes.  They are cotton(I dont give a shit if you Scotchard them, they suck if you ever had to go to the field in 35 degree weather with rain)  Anybody that thinks it's a good jacket compared to anytype of Goretex or similar material has no idea what they are talking about
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill third that statement

This.

Not one damn redeeming quality about an M65, and too many good modern options with synthetic insulation and waterproofing to fuck around with that old horseblanket.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I've accumulated three over the years.  Two were free and one came from an antique mall.  I like them for some reason.  Properly layered they can be warm enough.  I wouldn't want to head to the north pole in one.  

Had a leather one years ago.  A cheapie from Sportsman's Guide as I recall.  Didn't hold up well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not a fan.  I have a 3XL with liner that I wear when hunting.  But when working out around on the farm (like I was a couple hours ago splitting wood), I'd rather wear my old Walls hunting coat.  Not nearly as heavy or bulky but a lot warmer and more wind resistant.  

I live in south TN, I can't imagine trying to use a M-65 in the northern Siberian parts of the US.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#37]
My woodland M-65 that was thrown at me on my second day of basic, is still my go-to camping coat. I love that thing. (now sanitized, of course.)

Still fits.

ETA: The mountains of Somalia are very nice this time of year...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Whenever somebody mentions the M65, I always think of this guy:

I still have my woodland one issued right before SERE, without the liner.  

We froze our asses off up in the mountains, land nav'ing from partisan camp to partisan camp.

We stopped one time in the middle of the night, hunkered down, and woke up because I was shaking so bad.  There were 3 deer standing not more than 30 feet from us.  

I'm surprised our "stank" hadn't scared them off.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Did I make it in before all the Arc'Teryx runway models?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Welp, I picked up another one today. It's a black Rothco knockoff but it's decently made, with a brass zipper. Came with a liner. $79.95 at I. Goldberg's in Philly. I had one like it several years ago and wore it out. Back in the 1980s I had on OD GI issue one that I wore as part of my CAP uniform. M-65s aren't the be-all end-all in winter wear, but they work well for SE PA winters. I'll hit mine with some Techtron waterproofing spray.

The black M-65s don't look all that different from the military-inspired winter coats that I see the hipsters wearing, so, no homeless look.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#41]
A member on here sent me a brand new DCU pattern m65 and a DCU goretex. Freaking love them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's a thickass wool batting m-fiftysomething liner that will turn it into a halfway decent winter coat.  Otherwise, even with the liner it's not fit for "colder than a witch's titty".

In the temps they're fit for they're over engineered and serviceable as fuck.  They do make one look like a loony though.
View Quote

I'd love to have a wool liner for mine, partly because I don't like wearing clothing that melts when it burns and partly because of wool's properties when wet.

But the synthetic liner works pretty well.  Kept me toasty in sub-zero temps, especially with the BDU sweater on as well.  I rarely wear it here in California because it's so damn warm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This was my Father in 1962 wearing his last issued M65. He gave it to me in 1968 for my 10th birthday.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30099/72738.JPG
Ed  
View Quote
An M65 issued in 1962? M65 is short for M1965; the year it was introduced. From the collar, it looks more like an M51.

Edit

Regardless, I also am not a fan. Issued them and wore them in many weather conditions. Get some age and washings on them and they become sponges. Scotchguard is a brief, temporary fix, at best. Tried it, found it lacking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Prefer the British/European style smocks. Windproof, and some have a waterproof MVP liner like this one. Tons of different models and sizes too.
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/Half-Bear/2nd/B67F58BC-3876-4FFD-9686-1863CF4767BB_zpse2iawy3s.jpg
View Quote

What brand is that?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
We didn't wear them when they were issued.

We put the M65 liner under our bdu top, since the M65 was essentially another bdu top.

Of course, I wasn't sitting in a heated trailer somewhere drinking coffee.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#46]
alpha industries still makes new ones for $100-$150
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Raise of hands-who knows about the hood in the collar?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Picked up an repro for work a while back. Imported copy - while warm enough is was heavy as fuck and the brass zipper sucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hand raised - never used it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To quote Peter's neighbor in Office Space, "Hell no-you'd get your ass kicked."
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top