Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then YOU pay for it, not me.  It isn't a matter of "cheaper" it is a matter of right vs wrong.  Carried to it's absolute conclusion,  and it would probably be "cheaper" to carpet bomb portions of major urban areas

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the long run, it is probably cheaper for the taxpayer to just pay for the abortion up front when you really think about it.
Then YOU pay for it, not me.  It isn't a matter of "cheaper" it is a matter of right vs wrong.  Carried to it's absolute conclusion,  and it would probably be "cheaper" to carpet bomb portions of major urban areas

Little angry huh?  You do pay for it sir.  You also pay more for welfare.  On the list of things the government does that I consider "wrong", funding for elective abortions are not near the top.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

To the part in red .  EVERYBODY has an opinion on abortion.  Hell just look at this website and all the mudslinging every one of these threads bring up.  

To the part in blue that is completely different.  You are talking about making something illegal that is a current legal activity.  A better analogy for this topic would be should we be using taxpayer funds to conduct background checks?  The answer is we already do.  Its called NICS.  Like it or not, we aren't getting rid of NICS for FFL transactions.  
View Quote

Oh, they have an opinion alright...but it doesn't affect them much in major elections.  Republicans and Democrats tow the general party line on it and everyone votes over what really matters, like sound bites and secret recordings.

From a Republican viewpoint, this was a great bill.  It pleased the fiscal and social conservative base without actually attacking abortion itself.  It also had no chance of actually becoming law, the perfect scheme for a grandstander.  If you seriously think a moderate voter is pulling the lever for Hillary in 2016 over this non-issue...that's crazy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The list of things that I do support using taxpayer funding for is incredibly short.  
View Quote

I agree and also would support the bill!

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Obama.  Twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

It will show once again that the 'tards want you to pay for FUCKING EVERYTHING!!

Good for low information voters to be reminded of this TIME AND TIME again.

If that were the intent, you could pick any one of the hundreds of things fox news likes to dredge up every time wasteful government spending comes up and voted to cut some of those.  

But no, they picked a big divisive issue that the low information voters will interpret as those evil Republicans and their war on women, trying to ban abortion, again.

Why do we feel the need to pander to the low information voters?

Obama.  Twice.

So to save ourselves from Obama, we need to become Obama?  Please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I support free taxpayer funded abortions to anyone who wants one. Better a small expenditure now than a large one later. Plus we could get some economies of scale going, making the overall cost per abortion pretty low. Also build the facilities right next to groups who oppose abortion, because fuck those people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I support free taxpayer funded abortions to anyone who wants one. Better a small expenditure now than a large one later. Plus we could get some economies of scale going, making the overall cost per abortion pretty low. Also build the facilities right next to groups who oppose abortion, because fuck those people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The devil's in the details. I need more info than a bill title.
View Quote
Bingo.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with providing compensation and benefits to government employees.
A family health plan is common place in the private sector and as long as it is valued similarly, I have issues with police, firemen or any other gov workers having a health plan.

However, the gov should not provide any money to individuals or businesses that is not in exchange for goods or services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the only tax payer funded healthcare of any sort should be limited to those that are or have served and their families.

So all government employees including like the police?

There is nothing wrong with providing compensation and benefits to government employees.
A family health plan is common place in the private sector and as long as it is valued similarly, I have issues with police, firemen or any other gov workers having a health plan.

However, the gov should not provide any money to individuals or businesses that is not in exchange for goods or services.

I agree.  I can list many things higher on the priority list than this divisive legislation.  Like defunding Obamacare, which does have majority public support, which is likely only to grow after people start getting screwed over this tax season by it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, they have an opinion alright...but it doesn't affect them much in major elections.  Republicans and Democrats tow the general party line on it and everyone votes over what really matters, like sound bites and secret recordings.

From a Republican viewpoint, this was a great bill.  It pleased the fiscal and social conservative base without actually attacking abortion itself.  It also had no chance of actually becoming law, the perfect scheme for a grandstander.  If you seriously think a moderate voter is pulling the lever for Hillary in 2016 over this non-issue...that's crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the part in red .  EVERYBODY has an opinion on abortion.  Hell just look at this website and all the mudslinging every one of these threads bring up.  

To the part in blue that is completely different.  You are talking about making something illegal that is a current legal activity.  A better analogy for this topic would be should we be using taxpayer funds to conduct background checks?  The answer is we already do.  Its called NICS.  Like it or not, we aren't getting rid of NICS for FFL transactions.  

The thing is, I really hope you are right and it will work out in the end.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like my tax money to provide:

Appropriate infrastructure (electric grid, garbage, water, roads, etc)
Functional Military, police, fire etc

If a woman wants an abortion she should pay for it.  

I paid for my vasectomy.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think it about $500 million a year.

Not sure though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Planned Parenthood gets government money, so we're already paying for abortions by proxy.

I think it about $500 million a year.

Not sure though.

that's the number I was remembering, but I wasn't sure.
I would bet it's about right. Not all that goes to abortions, but I'll bet several hundred millions of $$ do go directly to abortions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, I was just answering your question.  Doesn't mean you "become Obama".  You even said yourself conservatives pander to voters, in this very thread.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
the vast majority of tax payer monies already go for things the majority of tax payers do not want abortion is just one more of those.

IMO abortion is murder of a tiny human being who has no advocate to speak on his/her behalf....my guess is if the pre born human were allowed a say in whether it "chose" to submit to being
gruesomely  murdered it would no doubt choose life instead.

Pro Choice for everyone except the victim
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, I think the high number of "no" votes might be due to the phrasing of the question.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

really...does it fucking matter?.......this is your argument?....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right.

No he isn't...............a lot of people outside of social conservatives do not approve of taxpayer funded abortions.

How much tax money is spent on abortions yearly?

It's not my argument. It's the argument being made by people trying to deny this is a religious matter on their part.

It matters because they're trying to pawn off their religious objections as fiscal responsibility when they can't or won't specify the fiscal burden they're trying to remedy.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
How about no taxpayer funding for any medical procedure?  

That's what I support.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This is where I stand. It is a much cheaper alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the long run, it is probably cheaper for the taxpayer to just pay for the abortion up front when you really think about it.

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
If Welfare and all other wealth transfer programs were ended I would support an end to taxpayer-funded abortion.

Otherwise, welfare slag-queens should be paid a bounty for each aborted pregnancy.

If welfare isn't eliminated, then I am all in favor of taxpayer-funded abortion and forced sterilization for the Free Shit Army.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cite?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

Not sure if there has ever been a study on it.  Shouldn't be hard to do the math though.  Take numbers for average cost of welfare kid 0-18 years (that is assuming they don't get on welfare themselves post 18yrs), multiply that by number of aborted babies yearly.  Heck just multiply by half the number of aborted babies yearly and that is being generous.  I'll take that bet all day that cost of all abortions < cost of raising just half of those kids on the taxpayer dime.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't care a whole lot what someone does.  That is between them and God (whether they acknowledge Him or not, but that's a different thread).  But...  If it is none of my business, why do they keep reaching into my pocket to pay for it?
View Quote

First post and all.....

I don't care HOW many abortions you have. I don't. I just don't see why I should have to pay to get you out of a mess you got yourself into.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
You had me at No Tax...
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey, I was just answering your question.  Doesn't mean you "become Obama".  You even said yourself conservatives pander to voters, in this very thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  But the idea of abandoning core principles to placate a few wishy washy douchebags drives me nuts.  I don't think issues drive elections.  Perception of the candidate and his image is the driving factor.

This is why I think Romney can beat Hillary, where he stood no chance against Obama.  Obama is too charismatic a campaigner for a lump like Romney to beat.  McCain?  Rofl.

But Hillary? She screams bitchy cunt neighbor woman.  Men and women alike hate bitchy cunts.  Sure, her rabid base of butch lunatics will be behind her...but she has a habit of coming across as a bitch, and a huge perception as such.

Should she win the nomination...she will have an uphill battle in 2016.  Not insurmountable, by any means, but the main issue in the election that will never be stated out loud is "Do you think Hillary is a bitchy cunt?  If 'Yes' vote Romney, if 'No' vote Hillary".

ETA:  Romney is far from my ideal candidate, nor do I claim him as a possible.  It is easy to use his Campaign against Obama as a comparison to a campaign against Hillary.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If Welfare and all other wealth transfer programs were ended I would support an end to taxpayer-funded abortion.

Otherwise, welfare slag-queens should be paid a bounty for each aborted pregnancy.

If welfare isn't eliminated, then I am all in favor of taxpayer-funded abortion and forced sterilization for the Free Shit Army.
View Quote

Make it voluntary.  $5000 for a tubal ligation, and $500 for a vasectomy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cite?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

average abortion cost $451: Jones RK and Kooistra K, Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2011, 43(1):41–50
Even for upstanding families the tax break per year for a child is $1000, and this goes drastical ly higher under the earned income credit. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Ten-Facts-about-the-Child-Tax-Credit
WIC alone averages over $40 a month, so in only 10.5 months the abortion would be paid for there. With over $6.7 billion spent on WIC in 2010 that would cover over 14.8 million abortion. Just in one year. That would eradicate all future cost associated. http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic-food-package-cost-report-fiscal-year-2010 It would pay for itself at least three times over in only the first year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, you want an abortion, you pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't care a whole lot what someone does.  That is between them and God (whether they acknowledge Him or not, but that's a different thread).  But...  If it is none of my business, why do they keep reaching into my pocket to pay for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Rep, Randy Weber, filed this bill:

On Thursday, the United States House of Representatives voted on H.R. 7 – No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion. The measure passed by a vote of 242 to 179 and now heads to the Senate.

There is another thread going on where some are arguing about outlawing abortion, even though that isn't what was proposed.  So please don't argue about that.

The question is simply: Do you support this bill for  "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion"?

This.  You want it, you pay for it here...and at the pearly gates.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

average abortion cost $451: Jones RK and Kooistra K, Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2011, 43(1):41–50

Even for upstanding families the tax break per year for a child is $1000, and this goes drastical ly higher under the earned income credit. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Ten-Facts-about-the-Child-Tax-Credit

WIC alone averages over $40 a month, so in only 10.5 months the abortion would be paid for there. With over $6.7 billion spent on WIC in 2010 that would cover over 14.8 million abortion. Just in one year. That would eradicate all future cost associated. http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic-food-package-cost-report-fiscal-year-2010 It would pay for itself at least three times over in only the first year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

Holy shit, numbers!

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

I've personally seen, in the course of my previous employment, people get $400+ per person in food stamps per month in this state and that was 4 years ago.  That is more than I spend on groceries in a month for two people.

ETA: I've also seen graphs posted on Arfcom in threads discussing government spending.  Welfare spending is higher than any other spending by a wide margin.  I think it is greater than 50 percent of tax money IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've personally seen, in the course of my previous employment, people get $400+ per person in food stamps per month in this state and that was 4 years ago.  That is more than I spend on groceries in a month for two people.

ETA: I've also seen graphs posted on Arfcom in threads discussing government spending.  Welfare spending is higher than any other spending by a wide margin.  I think it is greater than 50 percent of tax money IIRC.
View Quote

$168 USD per day per household in poverty. Equaling over $60,000 USD spent per household in poverty per year http://www.budget.senate.gov/republican/public/index.cfm/2012/12/total-welfare-spending-equates-to-168-per-day-for-every-household-in-poverty
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My Rep, Randy Weber, filed this bill:

On Thursday, the United States House of Representatives voted on H.R. 7 – No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion. The measure passed by a vote of 242 to 179 and now heads to the Senate.
View Quote

There is another thread going on where some are arguing about outlawing abortion, even though that isn't what was proposed.  So please don't argue about that.

The question is simply: Do you support this bill for  "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion"?

View Quote

Republicans better win the house in the next election cycle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Given the voting trends of people who get abortions and the likelihood that they use public funds for subsistence, we are money ahead to pay for their abortions.
View Quote

Nothing stops you from contributing towards abortions if you want to do so with your own money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nothing stops you from contributing towards abortions if you want to do so with your own money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given the voting trends of people who get abortions and the likelihood that they use public funds for subsistence, we are money ahead to pay for their abortions.

Serious question: what are the top non-leftist charities that help unwed, sexually active people to not get pregnant? Because both abortion and unwanted children make me a sad panda and I want to help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's not my argument. It's the argument being made by people trying to deny this is a religious matter on their part

It matters because they're trying to pawn off their religious objections as fiscal responsibility when they can't or won't specify the fiscal burden they're trying to remedy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right.

No he isn't...............a lot of people outside of social conservatives do not approve of taxpayer funded abortions.

It's not my argument. It's the argument being made by people trying to deny this is a religious matter on their part

cite?......oh that's right..it's your opinion....well, that and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. Republicans are missing the big picture here. I am about as conservative as it gets, I find abortion morally reprehensible, and I believe that Roe v. Wade is fraudulent Constitutuonal law, but as long as it is legal,
I consider abortion an excellent investment in the prevention of future democrats and YES, I am willing to have my tax dollars INVESTED in the prevention of the promulgation of future FSA voters
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not sure if there has ever been a study on it.  Shouldn't be hard to do the math though.  Take numbers for average cost of welfare kid 0-18 years (that is assuming they don't get on welfare themselves post 18yrs), multiply that by number of aborted babies yearly.  Heck just multiply by half the number of aborted babies yearly and that is being generous.  I'll take that bet all day that cost of all abortions < cost of raising just half of those kids on the taxpayer dime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fourth post nails it!

Cite?

So, you have nothing...just your opinion on who should live and who should die........some of you guys are downright  scary.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"no...no...no...that's not how it works..."
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, you have nothing...just your opinion on who should live and who should die........some of you guys are downright  scary.
View Quote

Umm...if you read a few posts past mine someone dug up actual numbers so....

Also, to the part in red, You mad bro?

ETA: So all people who aren't pro-life in the abortion debate scare you?  Do you feel we shouldn't own guns too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a whole other issue that needs fixin.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

cite?......oh that's right..it's your opinion....well, that and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it's good to see that people can learn here, eventually.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not all abortions are equal.  If the question specified elective abortions then I would answer Yes.

I would support taxpayer funding for treating a female veteran's ectopic pregnancy.

View Quote

I like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

On one hand, it's infanticide. No two ways about it. And I think many people will agree that killing babies isn't a good thing, whether doing it for the convenience of abortion or the sport of feeding them to hungry bears in pits, ala Mongol-style.

On the other hand, short of sky-scorching nuclear war, enough abortions are probably the countries best bet for surviving at least a while longer. Setup free clinics on every corner in various cities, and many problems would be solved within a generation. Heck, pay women to get them, still be a net win.
View Quote

And sterilization.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Abortion is MURDER!

I would rather not have any of my money fund murder. It should be illegal to KILL babies just like it is illegal to murder anyone else

No funding and outlaw it. PERIOD!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

In 2008, just one-third of privately insured U.S. women having abortions used that coverage to pay for their procedures; it is not clear how many of their plans offered full or partial coverage for abortion, or how many women were deterred from using their coverage because of concerns about confidentiality. Among women having abortions that year, methods of payment included paid out of pocket (almost 60%), private insurance (12%), and Medicaid (20%; almost all of whom lived in the few states that use their own funds to cover medically necessary abortions) Jones RK, Finer LB and Singh S, Characteristics of U.S. Abortion Patients, 2008 , New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2010
As said above the average abortion cost aproximately $450 USD  Jones RK and Kooistra K, Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2011, 43(1):41–50.
There were roughly 1.2 million abortions performed in 2008 Jones RK and Kooistra K, Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2011, 43(1):41–50.
at 20% being covered under medicaid that puts 240,000 abortions being covered under medicaid. So at $450 USD this would be $108million spent on abortions per year. Again though, when compared to the $6.7 billion spent per year on WIC alone this is a tiny number.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Maybe next we should propose that grenade launchers be sold in mall vending machines.
View Quote

I like this idea, there are times when you really need a grenade launcher but it's such a pain to carry one around all of the time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Apparently if you are not personally paying for abortions you are a hater, a racist, and therefore a Conservative and yep, a Republican.....you could be a couple of other things but that's enough.

I believe abortion funding should be private.....it's really all about personal freedom.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes I agree with the majority of Americans that NO taxpayer funding shall be used for domestic and international abortion.

Most Americans Support Abortion Restrictions, Majority Oppose Taxpayer Funding of Abortions

I do not support the minority of these fiscal liberal radical progressive leftists who want to expand the provider state with taxpayer funded abortion.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes I support it.  
I don't care if some stupid twat goes and has her crotchfruit cut out of her.
But I shouldn't have to pay for it either.  
She is the one that has to stand in judgement at the end of times not me.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#50]
You want an abortion...pay for it out of your own pocket...same goes for birth control.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top