Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hardly without a fight. In the Battle of France, the UK and France combined suffered over 3/4 of the total casualties suffered by the US in the whole war, ETO and Pacific. To reduce the Maginot Line cost Germany some of their best divisions, and that was attacking them from the rear.  
View Quote

The US did not have significant casualties in WWII. Dropping bombs from airplanes will result in fewer casualties than being invaded by the militarily superior Germans. Fact is, France surrendered before the Germans even reached Paris. The French did not have the stomach to replay WWI, so they just rolled over instead. Go visit Paris or Toulouse and see how they were damaged in WWII (they weren't). Compare that to most European cities, which were reduced to rubble.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You fail at history.

Plus, they lost a significant percentage of their male population in WW 1.
View Quote

LOL, you fail at reading. That was exactly my point. France fought a tough war in WWI with lots of casualties. They were not prepared to do the same in WWII.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The US did not have significant casualties in WWII. Dropping bombs from airplanes will result in fewer casualties than being invaded by the militarily superior Germans. Fact is, France surrendered before the Germans even reached Paris. The French did not have the stomach to replay WWI, so they just rolled over instead. Go visit Paris or Toulouse and see how they were damaged in WWII (they weren't). Compare that to most European cities, which were reduced to rubble.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly without a fight. In the Battle of France, the UK and France combined suffered over 3/4 of the total casualties suffered by the US in the whole war, ETO and Pacific. To reduce the Maginot Line cost Germany some of their best divisions, and that was attacking them from the rear.  

Save it for another thread.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL, you fail at reading. That was exactly my point. France fought a tough war in WWI with lots of casualties. They were not prepared to do the same in WWII.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fail at history.

Plus, they lost a significant percentage of their male population in WW 1.

You wrote that they gave up without a fight, which is simply not true.  That they could not throw bodies into the meat grinder at the same rate as WW1 is a separate but related issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't need to google it, I got a certificate that says it when I graduated with honors from college in that most useless degree. Good for arguing on the internet, watching Jeopardy and shaking your head in disgust when you watch people constantly making the same mistakes over and over again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the history he knows came from wikipedia.
Phi Alpha Theta he is not. (You can google that, stein)
Don't need to google it, I got a certificate that says it when I graduated with honors from college in that most useless degree. Good for arguing on the internet, watching Jeopardy and shaking your head in disgust when you watch people constantly making the same mistakes over and over again.

My degrees are in other fields but I took enough history to be invited into Phi Alpha Theta (i've never made anything other than an A in history) and was state champ HS history competition (world history and shared title in American history)
So, when you post as if you are the only 13er motherfucker on ARFCOM who has ever cracked a history book---you see how we want to keyboard punch you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My degrees are in other fields but I took enough history to be invited into Phi Alpha Theta (i've never made anything other than an A in history) and was state champ HS history competition (world history and shared title in American history)

So, when you post as if you are the only 13er motherfucker on ARFCOM who has ever cracked a history book---you see how we want to keyboard punch you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be honest, I didn't even know what it was until after I got the certificate. I finished school in Dec '06 and had them mail me my diploma (I was in Iraq when everyone else walked). I came home on leave and it was in the envelope with my diploma and stuff. I had to Google it. I knew I'd graduated Cum Laude but didn't know there was some History honor society.

I actually registered originally in 2007 but never posted and forgot I had a username. I re-registered in 2013. But I like crushing stereotypes so I'll proudly where the 13er armband. I'll make that shit cool...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would like to substitute Vlad tHe impaler.
View Quote
Now your talking

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt the Fergvson protesters are going to break and run from a Roman Legion.  After all, most of them will be familiar with the tactics of the Legion from the Night at the Musuem movies.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I agree with the penguin. I'm interested to see what this amazing "certificate" is though. Most of us call it a "diploma" and  it usually says something like "MA in Medieval History" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at Spain, hundreds of warring and quarelsome tribes to deal with, it took Rome nearly 200 years to really quell the peninsula.

View Quote

Yeah but that's not really fair considering they had half of it locked down forever (ulterior? somethingterior?), and then they had to deal with Sertorius and his rabble rousing. But I see your point. However, you'll never convince me that Caesar would've still been killed if he would've went full Stalin on his opponents in the Senate as soon as he got back from Greece.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah. I agree with the penguin. I'm interested to see what this amazing "certificate" is though. Most of us call it a "diploma" and  it usually says something like "MA in Medieval History" or something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To be honest, I didn't even know what it was until after I got the certificate. I finished school in Dec '06 and had them mail me my diploma (I was in Iraq when everyone else walked). I came home on leave and it was in the envelope with my diploma and stuff. I had to Google it. I knew I'd graduated Cum Laude but didn't know there was some History honor society.    

I actually registered originally in 2007 but never posted and forgot I had a username. I re-registered in 2013. But I like crushing stereotypes so I'll proudly where the 13er armband. I'll make that shit cool...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for your service to our country.  
And congratulations on doing well as an undergrad.
Contact your history dept. and ask which professor handles the Phi Alpha Theta
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you doubting that someone of my knowledge is a member of the National Historical Honor Society?

When you are put on the rolls of the Phi Alpha Theta, you get a fancy piece of paper, commonly referred to as a "certificate" in the English language. That's addition to the diploma, as well as in addition to the certificate that states I graduated with honors. I'm sorry when you graduated from the Service Academy, you only got a diploma. Must be underwhelming. J/k

I think its a check the block certificate/honor you get for getting Cum Laud in a History major. I double majored and the other one didn't even show up on my diploma, that had me calling the University to bitch. The honor society shit was never something I really cared about. I never really thought about it until it was brought up in this thread.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah but that's not really fair considering they had half of it locked down forever (ulterior? somethingterior?), and then they had to deal with Sertorius and his rabble rousing. But I see your point. However, you'll never convince me that Caesar would've still been killed if he would've went full Stalin on his opponents in the Senate as soon as he got back from Greece.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at Spain, hundreds of warring and quarelsome tribes to deal with, it took Rome nearly 200 years to really quell the peninsula.

In the 2nd Century BC, Spain was the like the Vietnam War for Rome. They called some of them "The Fiery Wars" because they just wouldn't end. 1st Cent BC too they were a problem. Marius, Sertorius, Pompey, Caesar, all of them made their bones early on in Spain. It wasn't really till after Munda that they finally all gave allegiance to Caesar. Even after, it was still an area that needed at least 4-6 legions to garrison, quote the hefty burden.

In Caesar's case, I think a few proscriptions were in order but at least Augustus learned the lessons. The worst decision Caesar made was dismissing his bodyguard, which prompted the Liberators to act.

The worst part of this debate with you is now I know you're smart and educated so you can't play the dumb troll in other threads.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I just wikipedia'd name of the coastal region of Spain and started reading about Sertorius again. He was a total badass. It's amazing that in such a small window of time there were so many of the greatest generals Rome, or the world for that matter, had ever seen. I mean, Marius, Sulla, Sertorius, Pompey, Caesar, Antony, etc. You only come across a handful of famous and capable commanders for the next 500 years until you get to Aetius and his raping of Attila. I guess the question is - is that simply because the Late Republic era is the most written about or if there really was a glut of awesome Romans during that period. I don't know the answer, but I do know that i'm now stuck in a wiki-warp where I say "I'll just click one more name"...and then look up and it's 6 hours later.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I just wikipedia'd name of the coastal region of Spain and started reading about Sertorius again. He was a total badass. It's amazing that in such a small window of time there were so many of the greatest generals Rome, or the world for that matter, had ever seen. I mean, Marius, Sulla, Sertorius, Pompey, Caesar, Antony, etc. You only come across a handful of famous and capable commanders for the next 500 years until you get to Aetius and his raping of Attila. I guess the question is - is that simply because the Late Republic era is the most written about or if there really was a glut of awesome Romans during that period. I don't know the answer, but I do know that i'm now stuck in a wiki-warp where I say "I'll just click one more name"...and then look up and it's 6 hours later.
View Quote
Sertorius was probably the best field commander Rome produced during the Late Republic period. I'd put him ahead of Marius, Sulla, Pompey (definitely), and even Caesar. Guy was a one eyed wrecking ball. Unfortunately not enough is written about him. We have Plutarch's account and he's mentioned in accounts of other people since he was the adversary of Sulla and Pompey for so many years.

With most people, when they think of Rome at its high, they think empire phase. For me, its purely Mid to Late Republic. It was at those times they did the most conquering, especially of worthy enemy. Who gives a shit about some reprisal raids in Germania or stomping on the Dacians or sacking Jerusalem when in a 50 year span the Roman's beat Carthage, the Macedonians, the Seulecids, parts of Gaul. And then in the next 100 years after that, they doubled their territory. Then you have the Civil Wars, where Rome's most skillful generals squared off against one another in epic battles. You have the first professionalized and long standing Legions during Caesar's Civil Wars, with units like Legio X existing continuously for decades.

A good book to read about some great Romans is Adrian Goldsworthy's In the Name of Rome. Has a chapter on Sertorius too that makes the Wiki profile on him look like a 2nd grader wrote it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You forgot about locullus and Agrippa :(
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've actually got his book on Augustus and another about the Roman army (complete roman army maybe?). I've got about a third the way through Augustus and it's pretty good, haven't even started the other one yet. Got too many books going. I will tell you one I liked recently....Ancient Rome: An Illustrated History. You're not going to learn anything new because it covers the founding of the city to the West's fall in about 200 pages but it's got some cool paintings, pics, and maps that I haven't seen elsewhere. I don't know if it's worth buying but if you could borrow it, it's well worth spending a weekend with.

Quoted:

You forgot about locullus and Agrippa :(
View Quote

I totally did forget about Lucullus. Agrippa I left out on purpose though, I kinda stopped when Caesar died. Although he does deserve some praise too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The point of the video was not to demonstrate the effectiveness of bovine lightning fast reflexes. It demonstrated what happens when a truck runs over living things. It does it easy with no real resistance.

Combat veterans from 2,000 years ago are going to have two options if a big ass  truck is quickly approaching their formation, both of which work perfectly to the truck drivers.

- They can stand still and try to protect themselves by locking shields and posting out spears and javelins, akin to how they would resist against horses and even elephants. And get crushed by something 1,000x worse than a horse or war elephant

- They can all break formation and run to the only place open, the rear, which will cause a big ass hole to open in their line. Once others see that hole open, and more trucks enter that hole, the integrity of the line (that most important thing in battle) is in doubt, and dudes everywhere will run.

Your 3 year old could probably understand what I'm stating but for some reason you cant. So once more, for you and others that have difficulty understanding things, let me spell it out.

Reasons the Romans would get their asses kicked in Ferguson

1. Romans march and fight in formations. That's how they roll. Don't like it? Want a more "fluid" unit better at skirmishing? Then don't pick the Romans.

2. The fight between Romans and rioters would happen here: http://goo.gl/maps/J3xz3 Which is where the rioting took place, where stores were looted, only a block away from where Michael Brown was killed. In the width of Florissant Ave (5 lanes), you can fit probably a whole cohort on line. You can also fit at least two dump trucks to drive comfortably in one direction.

3. The Roman force depends upon maintaining the integrity of the line. Casualties didn't cause routs, loss of unit integrity causes holes in lines, allowing enemy to come through them and threaten the sides and rears of other formations, causes routs. Commanders like centurions, praefects, tribunes can only control the men if they have them in formations that allow one person to control 60-100 men, which means a tightly packed rectangle. Loose formation require self discipline, lots of independent training, and pre-designated small unit leaders like platoon/squad/section/team leaders, none of which was done by the Romans. The smallest tactical subunit was the fighting century, controlled by a centurion, assisted by a few others.

4. When a garbage truck drives into that rectangle of flesh, wood, iron, at 50 mph, bad things are going to happen and it wont be to the truck. As demonstrated by the video of the truck driving through a herd of cow, running over those massive beasts did little to even slow it down. So a garbage truck will punch right through the initial line of Romans, leaving nothing but broken bodies in its wake. Those in the way of the truck will be crushed, those immediately outside the way will be in shock as they see what they think can only be a mythical invulnerable metal beast run through their formation like it was nothing. Unit integrity for a century/maniple that takes a solid hit would be fucking GONE. Key leaders would probably die and if they didn't, they wouldn't have a fucking clue what order to give. Meanwhile, panic will spread within the unit. The only thing an officer could do is try to calm the men and get them back in formation, filling in the holes in the line, which just makes them more vulnerable to second echelon attacks from more trucks.

5. Behind the initial Roman line, also marching on Florissant toward the FSA protesters, will be more lines of Roman infantry, more echelons, but spaced out between each other. These forces will have seen the truck run though the 1st line (probably made up of the more elite units). Now we go back to the two options. Individually, they can all make up their minds rather quickly: Stay and get crushed, or run and lose cohesion. You don't need a PhD in Roman history to know what they will probably do. Do the Romans have any means they are aware of to stop the armored elephant cheetahs? No, so that means running away.

6. Meanwhile, the truck doesn't need to turn, it doesn't need to do anything but keep driving straight down Florissant, in a steady manner, in a decent speed, until it either crashed through every Roman line or chased everyone away. It served its purpose, as a modern version of a fully training, unflinching, fully armored elephant on speed. The driver can continue on a few miles and hit McDonalds for a double cheeseburger while other trucks repeat what he did.

7. Instead of doing this all with just one truck, you can do it with many trucks. Steal every box truck, garbage truck, and dump truck you can find in Ferguson, fuel them up, put them in pairs, coordinate in the most basic means. Each echelon would basically drive unopposed through the Roman line, destroying it, each successive wave guaranteeing victory that much easier. By the 3rd wave of trucks, they'd just be crushing already dead bodies into more road pizza because by then the Roman legion as a whole, having seen all this happen, would know they have NOTHING that can stop these metal elephant cheetahs and they would rout, trying to run back to the safety of their camp. They wouldn't march away in good order and discipline, because to do so would face the wrath of another truck running into them. Truckers would target large groups, not small ones.

Now you might think you're brilliant by stating beforehand "I'll simply break my legions up into small groups and that way I wont have to worry about trucks." The problem with that is twofold. One is that it relies on Romans from 2,000 years ago knowing how dangerous trucks will be to their formation or that they even exist. In addition, an order like that can't just be given out quickly to the men in battle. Once shocking acts of brutality and carnage begin occurring against the Romans in the form of big ass trucks crushing them, no one is going to be patiently wait for new orders in the form of trumpet calls, dipping standards, or messengers, especially when loud ear splitting music is being pumped into the neighborhood, to purposely conduct sensory overload.

More realistic and important is that ordering "Pursuit" (Legion speak for the trumpet call that releases the army to continue attacking, but out of formation) makes it notoriously hard to control the men thereafter. A tactic widely used in the ancient world was to feign retreat to cause the enemy to give chase early, which would cost them unit integrity, only to turn at a predesignated time and fight them as a whole unit (Thermopylae, Chaeronea, Cannae). Releasing infantry in pursuit was ONLY done in the ancient world if the enemy were either already routing (not a hint of true resistance or it could mean disaster), in terrain like forests or mountains (against equally loose enemy), or in heavily built up cities when fighting in formations wasn't possible. (By built up cities I mean extreme close housing, alley ways and large blocks of tenement apartments; in forums they fought in formation).

When released, leaders have little control over their men, it takes a VERY long time to gather everyone back into some cohesive force, removes the protection of the group/formation and does not allow the soldiers to properly defend themselves against a threatening force or adversary. The strength of the ancient soldier was not individual, it relied on teamwork and cohesiveness, which is why battles were designed not to kill people but to break down an enemy's cohesion. How would a small group of Romans going house to house act when a house they entered blew up like the volcano of Versuvius (someone inside cut gas line and ran out back door)? You think they'd keep going? What leader would stop them from running away? I believe "herding cats" would be the best way of describing any attempt to reform a unit in contact.

The emergency rooms of most major cities are full of people there because they couldn't dodge traffic. Unless your alter ego is named Superman or the Flash, you're not dodging shit either. Trucks would cut through the formation of a Roman like a baseball through tissue paper. It would literally be like bowling, but the pins would explode in blood, bone, and guts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAIT. So cows know to get out of the way, but Roman Legions are to stupid.

I seem to see plenty who didn't get out of the way, and those cows weren't packed into a tight box formation.

It isn't that the Romans are too stupid to get out of the way, it is the fact that when you are packed together as tightly as they were (which was their strength), if you try to leap to your right or left there is another Roman already occupying that space.  And the Romans on the outside can't move too far out of the way either, as there are buildings on either side in Ferguson.

The point was that even stupid beef dinners with legs know enough to move over. Will some people get squished, undoubtedly. But if you think you're going to run people over repeatedly and the thinking, combat veteran, Romans are just going to sit around you are going to be sorely mistaken. Needing to turn a dump truck means your going to have to slow down to painfully low rates of speed. I'm pretty sure my 3 year old can understand that concept.
The point of the video was not to demonstrate the effectiveness of bovine lightning fast reflexes. It demonstrated what happens when a truck runs over living things. It does it easy with no real resistance.

Combat veterans from 2,000 years ago are going to have two options if a big ass  truck is quickly approaching their formation, both of which work perfectly to the truck drivers.

- They can stand still and try to protect themselves by locking shields and posting out spears and javelins, akin to how they would resist against horses and even elephants. And get crushed by something 1,000x worse than a horse or war elephant

- They can all break formation and run to the only place open, the rear, which will cause a big ass hole to open in their line. Once others see that hole open, and more trucks enter that hole, the integrity of the line (that most important thing in battle) is in doubt, and dudes everywhere will run.

Your 3 year old could probably understand what I'm stating but for some reason you cant. So once more, for you and others that have difficulty understanding things, let me spell it out.

Reasons the Romans would get their asses kicked in Ferguson

1. Romans march and fight in formations. That's how they roll. Don't like it? Want a more "fluid" unit better at skirmishing? Then don't pick the Romans.

2. The fight between Romans and rioters would happen here: http://goo.gl/maps/J3xz3 Which is where the rioting took place, where stores were looted, only a block away from where Michael Brown was killed. In the width of Florissant Ave (5 lanes), you can fit probably a whole cohort on line. You can also fit at least two dump trucks to drive comfortably in one direction.

3. The Roman force depends upon maintaining the integrity of the line. Casualties didn't cause routs, loss of unit integrity causes holes in lines, allowing enemy to come through them and threaten the sides and rears of other formations, causes routs. Commanders like centurions, praefects, tribunes can only control the men if they have them in formations that allow one person to control 60-100 men, which means a tightly packed rectangle. Loose formation require self discipline, lots of independent training, and pre-designated small unit leaders like platoon/squad/section/team leaders, none of which was done by the Romans. The smallest tactical subunit was the fighting century, controlled by a centurion, assisted by a few others.

4. When a garbage truck drives into that rectangle of flesh, wood, iron, at 50 mph, bad things are going to happen and it wont be to the truck. As demonstrated by the video of the truck driving through a herd of cow, running over those massive beasts did little to even slow it down. So a garbage truck will punch right through the initial line of Romans, leaving nothing but broken bodies in its wake. Those in the way of the truck will be crushed, those immediately outside the way will be in shock as they see what they think can only be a mythical invulnerable metal beast run through their formation like it was nothing. Unit integrity for a century/maniple that takes a solid hit would be fucking GONE. Key leaders would probably die and if they didn't, they wouldn't have a fucking clue what order to give. Meanwhile, panic will spread within the unit. The only thing an officer could do is try to calm the men and get them back in formation, filling in the holes in the line, which just makes them more vulnerable to second echelon attacks from more trucks.

5. Behind the initial Roman line, also marching on Florissant toward the FSA protesters, will be more lines of Roman infantry, more echelons, but spaced out between each other. These forces will have seen the truck run though the 1st line (probably made up of the more elite units). Now we go back to the two options. Individually, they can all make up their minds rather quickly: Stay and get crushed, or run and lose cohesion. You don't need a PhD in Roman history to know what they will probably do. Do the Romans have any means they are aware of to stop the armored elephant cheetahs? No, so that means running away.

6. Meanwhile, the truck doesn't need to turn, it doesn't need to do anything but keep driving straight down Florissant, in a steady manner, in a decent speed, until it either crashed through every Roman line or chased everyone away. It served its purpose, as a modern version of a fully training, unflinching, fully armored elephant on speed. The driver can continue on a few miles and hit McDonalds for a double cheeseburger while other trucks repeat what he did.

7. Instead of doing this all with just one truck, you can do it with many trucks. Steal every box truck, garbage truck, and dump truck you can find in Ferguson, fuel them up, put them in pairs, coordinate in the most basic means. Each echelon would basically drive unopposed through the Roman line, destroying it, each successive wave guaranteeing victory that much easier. By the 3rd wave of trucks, they'd just be crushing already dead bodies into more road pizza because by then the Roman legion as a whole, having seen all this happen, would know they have NOTHING that can stop these metal elephant cheetahs and they would rout, trying to run back to the safety of their camp. They wouldn't march away in good order and discipline, because to do so would face the wrath of another truck running into them. Truckers would target large groups, not small ones.

Now you might think you're brilliant by stating beforehand "I'll simply break my legions up into small groups and that way I wont have to worry about trucks." The problem with that is twofold. One is that it relies on Romans from 2,000 years ago knowing how dangerous trucks will be to their formation or that they even exist. In addition, an order like that can't just be given out quickly to the men in battle. Once shocking acts of brutality and carnage begin occurring against the Romans in the form of big ass trucks crushing them, no one is going to be patiently wait for new orders in the form of trumpet calls, dipping standards, or messengers, especially when loud ear splitting music is being pumped into the neighborhood, to purposely conduct sensory overload.

More realistic and important is that ordering "Pursuit" (Legion speak for the trumpet call that releases the army to continue attacking, but out of formation) makes it notoriously hard to control the men thereafter. A tactic widely used in the ancient world was to feign retreat to cause the enemy to give chase early, which would cost them unit integrity, only to turn at a predesignated time and fight them as a whole unit (Thermopylae, Chaeronea, Cannae). Releasing infantry in pursuit was ONLY done in the ancient world if the enemy were either already routing (not a hint of true resistance or it could mean disaster), in terrain like forests or mountains (against equally loose enemy), or in heavily built up cities when fighting in formations wasn't possible. (By built up cities I mean extreme close housing, alley ways and large blocks of tenement apartments; in forums they fought in formation).

When released, leaders have little control over their men, it takes a VERY long time to gather everyone back into some cohesive force, removes the protection of the group/formation and does not allow the soldiers to properly defend themselves against a threatening force or adversary. The strength of the ancient soldier was not individual, it relied on teamwork and cohesiveness, which is why battles were designed not to kill people but to break down an enemy's cohesion. How would a small group of Romans going house to house act when a house they entered blew up like the volcano of Versuvius (someone inside cut gas line and ran out back door)? You think they'd keep going? What leader would stop them from running away? I believe "herding cats" would be the best way of describing any attempt to reform a unit in contact.

The emergency rooms of most major cities are full of people there because they couldn't dodge traffic. Unless your alter ego is named Superman or the Flash, you're not dodging shit either. Trucks would cut through the formation of a Roman like a baseball through tissue paper. It would literally be like bowling, but the pins would explode in blood, bone, and guts.

the question was not whether a dump truck would fuck up a marching cohort.  it was would a legion fuck those dudes up at the time. I imagine the hypothetical question assumes the Romans wouldn't just collapse in fear and beg forgiveness for going through such an amazing event and transported to a weird alien world.

I say the Romans appear across the street witht the desire to beat up their stated enemy. Eviscerate the first 100 hundred people without hesitation. The protesters route and the Romans pursue and start to loot, rape and riot.

You are changing the question to Romans vs dump truck in a street. It's not "you are given 45 minutes to mcguyver a solution for a roman invasion with only x tools at your disposal."

I don't think the FSA there would rally and be able to contemplate anything other than run to safety and barricade doors. maybe grab a baseball bat. I doubt anyone without a gun in the home could counter a home invasion by two legionnaires.

edit for spelling.

Also it's just a stupid little hypothetical question :) I coudl very well be wrong. You are clearly the man though steinhab. One hand always firmly on the primary sources. I guess actually Livy and the like could be called secondary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you doubting that someone of my knowledge is a member of the National Historical Honor Society?

When you are put on the rolls of the Phi Alpha Theta, you get a fancy piece of paper, commonly referred to as a "certificate" in the English language. That's addition to the diploma, as well as in addition to the certificate that states I graduated with honors. I'm sorry when you graduated from the Service Academy, you only got a diploma. Must be underwhelming. J/k

I think its a check the block certificate/honor you get for getting Cum Laud in a History major. I double majored and the other one didn't even show up on my diploma, that had me calling the University to bitch. The honor society shit was never something I really cared about. I never really thought about it until it was brought up in this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no. I see the confusion.  I read and I think NavyDoc read your post as you got a certificate etc.
Re reading I see that you are a member.
Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little condescending for a guy with just an undergraduate degree, dontcha think?

I know a few guys with PhD's in history that have not done a single course in Roman history--simply having a BA in history does not make one a subject matter expert on a certain period nor does it indicate that one has done more study on a particular subject than one who does not have a BA in history. Like above, I've had more military history classes than a few PhD's in history I know.

Thus, one does not need to denigrate the knowledge of a subject of another.  

ETA: Just to show an effort to be conciliatory, I just bought you a team membership.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A little condescending for a guy with just an undergraduate degree, dontcha think?

I know a few guys with PhD's in history that have not done a single course in Roman history--simply having a BA in history does not make one a subject matter expert on a certain period nor does it indicate that one has done more study on a particular subject than one who does not have a BA in history. Like above, I've had more military history classes than a few PhD's in history I know.

ETA: Just to show an effort to be conciliatory, I just bought you a team membership.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. Thanks for the team membership, brother. I wasn't denigrating anyone's degree, at least I didn't mean to. Mine was one of those useless majors when the thought was any degree would land you a good job. History degrees don't mean crap unless they are PhDs.

To be honest, I took one roman history course in college, my emphasis was actually on middle eastern history (know thy enemy). I learned all the ancient stuff last couple years as a hobby. BA in history just taught me how to study the field properly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've actually got his book on Augustus  snip
View Quote

Is it Anthony Everitt's book on him?  I love his biographies, I've read them all.  The one of Augustus is fantastic.  Although his favorite figure is Cicero, and his book on him is more in depth and engaging with regards to the inner working of Roman life at the time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You are changing the question to Romans vs dump truck in a street. It's not "you are given 45 minutes to mcguyver a solution for a roman invasion with only x tools at your disposal."

View Quote

Fair enough, but the original question wasn't all that specific in defining the parameters, and as both Stein and I said earlier, if you teleport any army right into the face of the protesters and give them no time to react at all, it would be a slaughter.  Zulus, Apaches, ancient Egyptians, Ancient Jewish armies, Gauls, Mongols, you name it.  It is an entirely boring scenario.  Hell, if you clone the FSA Ferguson protesters to the man, and teleport THEM back to face off against against the original FSA with specific instruction to kill their originals, the clones will win because all other factors are equal and the clones have the advantage of forethought and purpose.

The only way to make the scenario worth discussing is to transport the legion to this time, outside the city (as they would have approached any town in antiquity) and have them engage as they would have engaged.  Does the Legion stack up if they do business as usual, and the only difference is the transport to this time?

In that case, although you can certainly disagree, I think we've shown that the protesters have far too many advantages.  They can be aware of the Romans through twitter and modern news.  They have phones to coordinate, tools, and all sorts of other advantages the Romans do not, or don't even understand.

I actually think a less disciplined army from antiquity would fare better.  I'd think savage Gauls would fare better than the Romans, because their combat system is less dependent on formations and discipline and order.  Their ability to fight comfortably decentralized and essentially leaderless means you could just turn them loose and let them kill anything that moved.  ETA: I recognize that the Gauls were organized and not some totally wild mob, but not to the extent of the Romans nor were they as dependent on formations as the Romans were.  They don't have to organize and move in tight formations as a cohesive unit like the Romans do, so the dump truck defense is harder to implement and likely less successful.  The flee from superstition issue is just as powerful, if not moreso, but honestly I think the Gauls or a 'like' less organized army would fare better than the Romans.  The Romans biggest strengths work against them in Ferguson.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To be honest, I took one roman history course in college, my emphasis was actually on middle eastern history (know thy enemy). I learned all the ancient stuff last couple years as a hobby. BA in history just taught me how to study the field properly.

View Quote

Shit, I don't even have an undergrad degree.  I just read as much Roman history as my free time allows, as it too is a hobby for me.  I think NavyDoc1 should send me a Pmag, as I already have a team membership.  

ETA: Although I must admit, although I do enjoy the military studies, I find my interest gravitates more towards the personalities of the major players, and the politics and everyday life side of Roman history.  I tend to gobble up the biographies I can find, vs the various histories of Legions themselves.  I have several of those books I just haven't gotten to yet, I don't find them quite as compelling as some others.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh and Steinhab, get your tank, man.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you not see how this could go bad for the Romans?

View Quote

a few hundred caltrops and then what?

take out the tires and the vehicles do what?

a few fire bombs and the vehicles do what?

if I'm picking and transporting the legion, guess what? I'm giving them some intel on the objectives and what to expect.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

if I'm picking and transporting the legion, guess what? I'm giving them some intel on the objectives and what to expect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are doing all that, you might as well scrap the scenario and just use modern forces with no ROE.  It would take you weeks if not months to impart that level of intel on the Romans.  You would have to bring them gradually up to speed on what these things are...the shock of the intel dump would be overwhelming and they simply wouldn't comprehend what you were telling them.  So if you are going to spend months essentially bringing them up to speed with what a modern military would know, and let them totally redevise their standard deployment and tactics as a modern military would, then you really aren't pitting the Ferguson protesters against an ancient legion anymore.  You're pitting the FSA against a modern military armed with swords and no ROE.  Might as well save the R&D dollars spent on developing time travel and just send in a US Army unit armed with swords and tell em all bets are off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First assumption is that the Romans would show up with hundreds of caltrops, which they wouldn't unless they knew beforehand they would be facing off against large numbers of enemy heavy cavalry or elephants. Since their objective is to quell a riot, they would not have made or brought any.

Second assumption is that WHILE the trucks are running over Romans by the hundreds, someone is going to immediately figure out the proper way to kill them mobility wise (javelin or arrow to tire of truck going 30-50 mph) and that method will spread quickly.

Third assumption is that taking out a few of the many tires on a garbage truck (10 total) would do shit to stop it in the short term, in the time it takes them to drive about .3 to .75 miles, which would be enough to drive through nearly the whole infantry column.

Fourth assumption is that the Romans had some sort of effective firebomb that was able to be carried in an attack (they didn't) and a method of accurately launching them at anything other than stationary city walls (catapults are huge, slow, and inaccurate).

Fifth assumption is that you speak Latin, could effectively communicate anything to an ancient people about what to expect, or that they'd be willing or able to even understand what you are trying to tell them. It takes months to turn high school educated Americans into effective modern soldiers. Romans are a bit different.

Before you explain anything to the Romans that the protesters are going to drive big trucks into their formations (for example, as there are dozens, if not hundreds of ways to fuck up a Roman legion), you'd first have to explain what a truck is, what an engine is, what gasoline is, etc. This goes for all things. There are like 50 technical evolutionary steps between the equipment we have and what Romans understand, you'd have to cover all of them to get them or else it would still seem like magic.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are like 50 technical evolutionary steps between the equipment we have and what Romans understand, you'd have to cover all of them to get them or else it would still seem like magic.
View Quote

And that is why it really would takes weeks if not months of prep.  You not only need to do a thorough intel dump, but it is imperative that the Romans understand it is NOT magic.  If they think they are facing up against sorcery, they are NOT sticking around.

In fact, giving them the intel dump is perhaps riskier than sending them in blind.  Giving them the intel dump, I think you awake the next morning to no better than half your Legion remaining.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

the question was not whether a dump truck would fuck up a marching cohort.  it was would a legion fuck those dudes up at the time. I imagine the hypothetical question assumes the Romans wouldn't just collapse in fear and beg forgiveness for going through such an amazing event and transported to a weird alien world.

I say the Romans appear across the street witht the desire to beat up their stated enemy. Eviscerate the first 100 hundred people without hesitation. The protesters route and the Romans pursue and start to loot, rape and riot.

I don't think the FSA there would rally and be able to contemplate anything other than run to safety and barricade doors. maybe grab a baseball bat. I doubt anyone without a gun in the home could counter a home invasion by two legionnaires.

edit for spelling.
Also it's just a stupid little hypothetical question :) I coudl very well be wrong. You are clearly the man though steinhab. One hand always firmly on the primary sources. I guess actually Livy and the like could be called secondary.

View Quote
If a portal opened and Romans instantly marched out right onto Florissant Ave, into an unsuspecting mob of rioters, of course it would get all stabby stabby and the Romans would prevail. But that premise isn't valid, because it is NOT how the Romans operated. The only time they did not set up a camp beforehand was when they were ambushed, and even then, often, in the middle of combat, they'd usually try to form some sort of bastion to fall back to. That concept, the art of the castra, was probably one of of the most important reasons the Romans consistently prevailed over its enemies, more so than their fighting methods, especially against less than knowledgeable enemies who did not resort to such organization methods.

As such, the Romans would not just march out and fight. They'd march out find a location for a camp (probably Forestwood Park, due to closeness to the rioting area, large open area, proximity to Maline Creek water source [unknowingly polluted] http://goo.gl/maps/8hZxt)

Once the camp is set up, they'd prepare for battle (last minute equipment checks, shine armor, attach crests and decorations (look good for fight), drop furca/marching packs, eat a last meal [major emphasis in ancient warfare], perform an sacrifices or divination to see how the Gods favored the day, etc). At that point, they'd march out, cavalry and skirmishers first to screen, and probably head due south out of the Forestwood Park onto Ferguson Ave, go east till intersection with Florissant, turn left, form from marching columns into column of cohorts on line, and move forward.

All of this would take hours at least, if not half a day or more, depending on how long the camp takes to get set up. All the while giving rioters time to plan. As FSA, undisciplined and unorganized, I'd expect little as a whole from the group. But individually or in small cells/teams (local street gangs), effective concepts for fighting back would start happening. Probably someone would hit up Wikipedia on the Iphone they just stole or something and I doubt seriously that at least a few people out of thousands couldn't come up with the concept of using things like large trucks to squash people, loud music and fireworks as psyops, firearms, explosives/explosions, etc.

Now if they try to beat the Romans using a few handguns and fists/sticks, yes, the Romans would drive them off easily (though they wouldn't kill even half of them, too many side streets as escape routes). But it would only take a few semi-intelligent individuals to lay the smack down on the Romans.

Check out the Google map area I linked and tell me I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All of this would take hours at least, if not half a day or more, depending on how long the camp takes to get set up. All the while giving rioters time to plan.
View Quote

I believe at best a Roman Legion could set up camp in 6 hours.  Which was amazing for the time and a testament to the organization and discipline of the Legion.  But factor that in, plus an hour to then form up and prepare to march.  If we teleported our army at dawn, which in late November was just before 7 AM, the Legion isn't ready to advance on Ferguson until around 2:00 PM at the absolute earliest.  Sunset in Ferguson on Nov 24th is at 4:46 PM, giving the Romans less than 3 hours of daylight to attack the city.  I don't believe there is a Roman commander anywhere that would have opted to attack this very strange city at 2 in the afternoon with less than 3 hours of daylight remaining on the first day they arrived.  Meaning in all likelihood, the earliest they could be expected to attack would be the following morning at dawn.

This means the FSA gets a full day to prepare, and it also means the Romans have to watch the city light up at night and listen to the roar of cars and trucks and all other manner of sound, which as has been stated would have a terrifying effect.  The criminal elements in the FSA might even realize that it is in their best interest to launch an attack that night.  The criminal element in the FSA is used to operating at night, the Romans not so much.  There is a strong likelihood that the battle is not waged in the streets of Ferguson, but instead the FSA drives a few pickup trucks right into the Roman camp as they sleep.  The Roman palisade wall would be no match for a dump truck or garbage truck.  The speed at which the FSA could approach would completely catch the posted guards unprepared, and unable to rouse the Romans in time.  The FSA could just plow through row after row of Roman tents.  The carnage would be epic.  No need to wait for the Romans to attack.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I believe at best a Roman Legion could set up camp in 6 hours.  Which was amazing for the time and a testament to the organization and discipline of the Legion.  But factor that in, plus an hour to then form up and prepare to march.  If we teleported our army at dawn, which in late November was just before 7 AM, the Legion isn't ready to advance on Ferguson until around 2:00 PM at the absolute earliest.  Sunset in Ferguson on Nov 24th is at 4:46 PM, giving the Romans less than 3 hours of daylight to attack the city.  I don't believe there is a Roman commander anywhere that would have opted to attack this very strange city at 2 in the afternoon with less than 3 hours of daylight remaining on the first day they arrived.  Meaning in all likelihood, the earliest they could be expected to attack would be the following morning at dawn.

This means the FSA gets a full day to prepare, and it also means the Romans have to watch the city light up at night and listen to the roar of cars and trucks and all other manner of sound, which as has been stated would have a terrifying effect.  The criminal elements in the FSA might even realize that it is in their best interest to launch an attack that night.  The criminal element in the FSA is used to operating at night, the Romans not so much.  There is a strong likelihood that the battle is not waged in the streets of Ferguson, but instead the FSA drives a few pickup trucks right into the Roman camp as they sleep.  The Roman palisade wall would be no match for a dump truck or garbage truck.  The speed at which the FSA could approach would completely catch the posted guards unprepared, and unable to rouse the Romans in time.  The FSA could just plow through row after row of Roman tents.  The carnage would be epic.  No need to wait for the Romans to attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All of this would take hours at least, if not half a day or more, depending on how long the camp takes to get set up. All the while giving rioters time to plan.

Romans typically didn't fight in the winter at all, when they did it was usually in warmer climates. Not only did they need the time for refit, but during winter there was limited daylight, less forage for animals, digging was near impossible for daily marching camp, and the cold destroyed morale.

Digging a proper camp in Missouri in November when the ground is hard as shit would be a chore of itself. So I'd say at least a full day of digging ramparts/ditches. Then comes the scouting, because the Romans had no real understanding of maps. Scouts would be sent out in order to get a decent 'picture' of the battlefield and surrounding terrain/roads/ingress/egress routes. If the Roman commander was stupid, he'd try to do this with cavalry, a smarter idea would be to select top quality trusted people and have them attempt to infiltrate the area on foot and in disguise (good luck blending in with that area). This would likely occur while the main force is digging in, prepping. Upon completion, the scouting element would report back to the command (I'd love to sit in on that war council).

I think the best overall plan for the Romans, and most likely based on their tactics, would be to attempt to put a flanking/blocking position on the northwestern side of Florissant Ave. (Lang Dr. or Highmont Dr.) while their main force approaches from the south, heading north on Florissant Ave. However, they'd have zero ability to perform any movements covertly and their positions would likely be reported realtime by thousands of residents watching from homes, as well as TV news chopper flying overhead (story of a lifetime). The progress of any force marching out of their camp would be seriously hindered by potshots from "snipers" firing from homes, apartment complexes, etc., as well as any pre-planned terror tactics. For instance, I'd light cars that sit along their obvious march route on fire, but not before I chucked a couple of common propane tanks inside them. Romans have never seen a fuel air explosion before and I'd be happy to demonstrate them as much as possible. I'd also crack every fire hydrant along the way to make the roads nice and slippery. If the night got cold enough maybe some ice would form too. Loud rap music would be blasted, drive by shootings from cars, and the shock tactic of course would be the truck assault. Depending on how quickly the Romans broke, the rioters might actually have the balls to chase after them and attempt to take their camp, though that might go poorly. But as an effective force, the Romans at that point would be done for.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I doubt the Romans would have time to build a camp inside the city. They would be confused as the city is so large, they cannot camp outside and march in the next day. Some dude would walk up to them asking for a cigarette. Once they slaughter him, the rioters would start killing them back. I think a few handguns would be sufficient to defeat the legion. Rioters who scatter would run home, but would shoot the hell out of any troops attempting home invasions. And I agree that a group of wild Germans with axes fighting as individuals would likely do better than the Romans fighting in a closed formation. The Zulus have prevailed against British firearms by surrounding them and overrunning their defenses. This strategy would likely work against the rioters.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I doubt the Romans would have time to build a camp inside the city. They would be confused as the city is so large, they cannot camp outside and march in the next day. Some dude would walk up to them asking for a cigarette. Once they slaughter him, the rioters would start killing them back. I think a few handguns would be sufficient to defeat the legion. Rioters who scatter would run home, but would shoot the hell out of any troops attempting home invasions. And I agree that a group of wild Germans with axes fighting as individuals would likely do better than the Romans fighting in a closed formation. The Zulus have prevailed against British firearms by surrounding them and overrunning their defenses. This strategy would likely work against the rioters.
View Quote
They would have to build a camp inside the city. Not having one isn't really an option. Most people see a legion and they think combatants, infantry and cavalry. But it also includes a large number of noncombatants (at least 1 per 8-10 rankers, 1-2 per centurion, 1-3 per cavalryman, up to 20 per tribune, near companies per legate). Then there would be the engineers, smiths, and medical support people. In addition, there would be a similar number of mules, all carrying loads that would need to be dropped somewhere (food, water, tents, entrenching equipment, extra weaponry). Then there are the unofficial camp followers who nearly always accompanied a legion on campaign, such as friends of the senior officers, fortune tellers, soothsayers, slavers, sutlers, whores, family. Then there is the personal baggage of every soldier, his pack, which often included booty garnered over a career. Not to mention the legion's war chest of silver and gold coin to buy supplies and pay the men when necessary. All of this stuff would have to be dumped somewhere before the legion goes into battle. They wouldn't just leave it sitting on the side of a street guarded by servants.

The question won't be whether a camp is made, but whether they'd bother to dig in at all. If they don't, they can get into battle faster, meaning less time for rioters to plan anything. But it also means that only a few chain fences in the park (most likely spot) would stop some drunken or high gangbangers from riding right into their camp in stolen trucks and running them down, shooting them up.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Romans typically didn't fight in the winter at all, when they did it was usually in warmer climates. Not only did they need the time for refit, but during winter there was limited daylight, less forage for animals, digging was near impossible for daily marching camp, and the cold destroyed morale.    

Digging a proper camp in Missouri in November when the ground is hard as shit would be a chore of itself. So I'd say at least a full day of digging ramparts/ditches. Then comes the scouting, because the Romans had no real understanding of maps. Scouts would be sent out in order to get a decent 'picture' of the battlefield and surrounding terrain/roads/ingress/egress routes. If the Roman commander was stupid, he'd try to do this with cavalry, a smarter idea would be to select top quality trusted people and have them attempt to infiltrate the area on foot and in disguise (good luck blending in with that area). This would likely occur while the main force is digging in, prepping. Upon completion, the scouting element would report back to the command (I'd love to sit in on that war council).

I think the best overall plan for the Romans, and most likely based on their tactics, would be to attempt to put a flanking/blocking position on the northwestern side of Florissant Ave. (Lang Dr. or Highmont Dr.) while their main force approaches from the south, heading north on Florissant Ave. However, they'd have zero ability to perform any movements covertly and their positions would likely be reported realtime by thousands of residents watching from homes, as well as TV news chopper flying overhead (story of a lifetime). The progress of any force marching out of their camp would be seriously hindered by potshots from "snipers" firing from homes, apartment complexes, etc., as well as any pre-planned terror tactics. For instance, I'd light cars that sit along their obvious march route on fire, but not before I chucked a couple of common propane tanks inside them. Romans have never seen a fuel air explosion before and I'd be happy to demonstrate them as much as possible. I'd also crack every fire hydrant along the way to make the roads nice and slippery. If the night got cold enough maybe some ice would form too. Loud rap music would be blasted, drive by shootings from cars, and the shock tactic of course would be the truck assault. Depending on how quickly the Romans broke, the rioters might actually have the balls to chase after them and attempt to take their camp, though that might go poorly. But as an effective force, the Romans at that point would be done for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say we don't even let them set foot in our precious city.  We've had all day to prepare, as we became aware via Twitter around 7:00 AM this morning that the Roman army is building an encampment.

I say sometime around 1or 2 AM, we descend on the camp with 4 large dump trucks, and 4 pickup trucks.  One dump truck to approach from each gate of the camp.  In the back of each dump truck, several propane canisters rigged with black powder explosives.  In the passenger side of each dump truck, a man with an AR.  In each pickup truck, 4 men with ARs.  Surely given the entire day we can scare up a total of 24 men, and 20 ARs and several mags per man.  In go the dump trucks simultaneously, bursting through the palisade wall next to the gates (want to avoid the trench in front of the gate).  Dump truck drivers go nuts on the tents as the Romans are still waking up, maybe for a minute or two as passenger lights up anything that moves with his AR.  Give the command via cell phone or 2 way radio stolen from Wal Mart to dump and blow the propane tanks.  Massive propane tank explosions throughout the camp.  Romans are dying by the droves and those who aren't are shitting their pants at Armageddon.  In go the four pickup trucks through the near gate, and 16 men hop out with ARs and get to work mopping up the rest.  Wholesale slaughter.  Spare 10 men, send them back in time to tell the Romans what happened.  Next time Evan Williams emerges from his time machine trying to recruit another Legion to try again, the Romans crucify him.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, Gauls would be more willing to attack upon arrival, not being slaves to the camp SOP.  Much more willing to act as disbanded small units, and leaderless units.  Can move much faster and with less command and control, which is better suited to hitting the FSA in Ferguson.  More likely to be a little loaded up on mead and whipped into a frenzy, and perhaps not as easily spooked because of that.  More likely to adapt because not as reliant on the unit...meaning more likely to break off an chase rioters into buildings or down alleys, taking away FSA's ability to engage in hit and run guerilla warfare on a slower moving monolithic roman formation who fights primarily from the defensive position.

I like the Gauls chances way more than the Romans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]
You are not following me. To build a camp in the city, first they have to walk there (unless we teleport them there). They would likely come into contact before they even get there. Also, noncombatants are not part of the legion and did not go with them into battle. The Romans would walk into the city in formation - they would realize that they are likely to be attacked once they do that - and the supporting troops would stay outside the city.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I say we don't even let them set foot in our precious city.  We've had all day to prepare, as we became aware via Twitter around 7:00 AM this morning that the Roman army is building an encampment.

I say sometime around 1or 2 AM, we descend on the camp with 4 large dump trucks, and 4 pickup trucks.  One dump truck to approach from each gate of the camp.  In the back of each dump truck, several propane canisters rigged with black powder explosives.  In the passenger side of each dump truck, a man with an AR.  In each pickup truck, 4 men with ARs.  Surely given the entire day we can scare up a total of 24 men, and 20 ARs and several mags per man.  In go the dump trucks simultaneously, bursting through the palisade wall next to the gates (want to avoid the trench in front of the gate).  Dump truck drivers go nuts on the tents as the Romans are still waking up, maybe for a minute or two as passenger lights up anything that moves with his AR.  Give the command via cell phone or 2 way radio stolen from Wal Mart to dump and blow the propane tanks.  Massive propane tank explosions throughout the camp.  Romans are dying by the droves and those who aren't are shitting their pants at Armageddon.  In go the four pickup trucks through the near gate, and 16 men hop out with ARs and get to work mopping up the rest.  Wholesale slaughter.  Spare 10 men, send them back in time to tell the Romans what happened.  Next time Evan Williams emerges from his time machine trying to recruit another Legion to try again, the Romans crucify him.  

View Quote
That would definitely work but I think its a bit outside the abilities of FSA rioters. Too much equipment, too many smart people would be needed.

Here's an idea that one person could execute:

For explosions, I'd go to nearest store that has those bins to exchange propane tanks, steal as many as I could. At 2 AM, put a bunch in a minivan, drive them right next to the camp, open the valves, get out and shut doors with windows up. Stick rag in gas tank and light it and run like a motherfucker. The explosion would deafen the whole camp, probably kill half the horse/mules in fright, give about every 50 year old or older centurion a massive coronary, and make everyone else into a babbling wreck praying to Jupiter and the heavens to save them from his mighty wrath. The whole camp would reek of shit when the legion collectively craps itself. Maybe then get some store bought fireworks and light them off to explode harmlessly over the camp. Psychologically the legion will be spent, before anyone is even in battle. Any officer that tries to form the men for battle will get two feet of gladius in the belly by his own dudes.

Should they attempt to even leave their camp, break out a truck to run their asses over. If they break out in small group, they still have to use the roads, so I'd still run their asses over. As the other FSA see this happen, more will do the same.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You are not following me. To build a camp in the city, first they have to walk there (unless we teleport them there). They would likely come into contact before they even get there. Also, noncombatants are not part of the legion and did not go with them into battle. The Romans would walk into the city in formation - they would realize that they are likely to be attacked once they do that - and the supporting troops would stay outside the city.
View Quote
City limits are like 10 miles from riot position. No way would the Romans put their fall back position (which is what the camp really was) a days march away.

Situation:

EvanWilliams recruits Legio X Equestrus to squash rioters in Ferguson in exchange for gold, silver, slaves. They teleport into the area, EvanWilliams orders them to attack at once. They laugh at him, tribunes and senior centurions dismiss idea and find an area to build a camp, per Roman SOP. Once camp is built and recon conducted they could/would attack.

But that's not saying they already wouldn't be attacked themselves. The Roman camp was designed to stop similarly equipped armies, it wouldn't work all that great if dudes were shooting rifles and pistols at them from the roofs of nearby apartment buildings all day and night, not to mention other things. Should the Legion fall out in battle array in the streets, they'd have to deal with the armored elephant cheetahs (big trucks).

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That was beautiful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that was interesting.

That was beautiful.

Needs more down-and-dirty ass whipping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That would definitely work but I think its a bit outside the abilities of FSA rioters. Too much equipment, too many smart people would be needed.

For explosions, I'd go to nearest store that has those bins to exchange propane tanks, steal as many as I could. At 2 AM, put a bunch in a minivan, drive them right next to the camp, open the valves, get out and shut doors with windows up. Stick rag in gas tank and light it and run like a motherfucker. The explosion would deafen the whole camp, probably kill half the horse/mules in fright, give about every 50 year old or older centurion a massive coronary, and make everyone else into a babbling wreck praying to Jupiter and the heavens to save them from his mighty wrath. The whole camp would reek of shit when the legion collectively craps itself. Maybe then get some store bought fireworks and light them off to explode harmlessly over the camp. Psychologically the legion will be spent, before anyone is even in battle. Any officer that tries to form the men for battle will get two feet of gladius in the belly by his own dudes.

Should they attempt to even leave their camp, break out a truck to run their asses over. If they break out in small group, they still have to use the roads, so I'd still run their asses over. As the other FSA see this happen, more will do the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what?  Fuck it, let's just steal a single gas refueling truck, plow that MFer through the front gate, blow that up and be done with it.  Roman Legion defeated on night one, in about 5 minutes.

One man, equipped with an AR to fight his way quickly out of the camp, delayed charge.  One man, defeats the entire legion.  One.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yeah, Gauls would be more willing to attack upon arrival, not being slaves to the camp SOP.  Much more willing to act as disbanded small units, and leaderless units.  Can move much faster and with less command and control, which is better suited to hitting the FSA in Ferguson.  More likely to be a little loaded up on mead and whipped into a frenzy, and perhaps not as easily spooked because of that.  More likely to adapt because not as reliant on the unit...meaning more likely to break off an chase rioters into buildings or down alleys, taking away FSA's ability to engage in hit and run guerilla warfare on a slower moving monolithic roman formation who fights primarily from the defensive position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gallic armies were usually easy to break in battle because of their lack of a secure camp. Lots of examples, but the common theme is that once their wagon train (wives, children, possessions) was threatened, the leaders couldn't stop the men from running away to protect it them. This would generally start in the rear of the formation, warriors would leave the battle line but with good intentions (save the wagon train). However, with battle communications being shitty, everyone else wouldn't have a clue why they ran, only that they did, which would cause an army wide panic, collapse of the line, and a rout. After that, the Romans usually stormed the wagon train and killed/enslaved everyone.

The Gauls nearly always fought in formations, just not with the same level of organization and discipline as the Romans, which wasn't surprising considering their lack of an established chain of command. Gallic tribes were very democratic and leaders basically had to persuade lesser tribal chieftains/clan leaders/warriors to obey them, which they often didn't do, especially when things went south. Meanwhile, to disobey in the Roman army meant death as an almost certainty. It took a very courageous Roman to disobey an order...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You are overthinking this. A few determined riflemen on top of a building could rout the whole legion. You could probably take all of Rome with 24 troops armed with ARs, sufficient ammo and dump trucks. It would not be hard to find some basement dwellers willing to volunteer to trade their current life to become the new Emperors of ancient Rome

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You are overthinking this. A few determined riflemen on top of a building could rout the whole legion. You could probably take all of Rome with 24 troops armed with ARs, sufficient ammo and dump trucks. It would not be hard to find some basement dwellers willing to volunteer to trade their current life to become the new Emperors of ancient Rome

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I stopped overthinking it...see gas truck above ;)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You know what?  Fuck it, let's just steal a single gas refueling truck, plow that MFer through the front gate, blow that up and be done with it.  Roman Legion defeated on night one, in about 5 minutes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QKKErktneKs/VDQgqv2V5AI/AAAAAAAIRvw/UNv2_Bd2gwE/s1600/PILOT%2BFlying%2BJ%2BPeterbilt%2BDay%2BCab%2BTruck%2B5632%2BGasoline%2BFuel%2BTank%2BTrailer,%2BPilot%2BTruck%2BStop%2BAlbany%2BGeorgia%2BHwy.%2B300%2BGas%2BStation%2BRefueling.JPG

One man, equipped with an AR to fight his way quickly out of the camp, delayed charge.  One man, defeats the entire legion.  One.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QKKErktneKs/VDQgqv2V5AI/AAAAAAAIRvw/UNv2_Bd2gwE/s1600/PILOT%2BFlying%2BJ%2BPeterbilt%2BDay%2BCab%2BTruck%2B5632%2BGasoline%2BFuel%2BTank%2BTrailer,%2BPilot%2BTruck%2BStop%2BAlbany%2BGeorgia%2BHwy.%2B300%2BGas%2BStation%2BRefueling.JPG

Yep. I think explosions are the way to go. Bullets would be similar to ballistae bolts, unless in large concentrations they wouldn't overwhelm the Romans, and the FSA don't have the means to mass fires. But explosions are something not common to the ancient world, the closest being volcano eruptions and occasional close lighting strikes, both of which naturally terrified everyone. In quite a few battles, the fighting stopped immediately on both sides, Roman and enemy, because of a single lightning strike. So we can imagine the surprise and shock that even a small explosion would have, let alone a series of quite large ones. They wouldn't even need to actually kill a lot of people through shrapnel or direct energy, just the shockwave and sound would be enough to overwhelm them. Complete sensory overload, followed up by some simple shock assault like a couple of trucks driving into them while blaring really loud and shitty rap music with a bass system.

So park that truck next to the camp, don't even bother trying to drive inside. The explosion would be immense.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Would they be under the same microscope as current LEO's? If so, they would be looked down upon by the media & many citizens.

There would be Hands up, don't throw your spear t shirts, posters, etc... Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton would call them racists. Obama would get involved and  say that the Romans need to work with the community, not against it. GD would call them jack sandled thugs. Etc...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Would they be under the same microscope as current LEO's? If so, they would be looked down upon by the media & many citizens.

There would be Hands up, don't throw your spear t shirts, posters, etc... Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton would call them racists. Obama would get involved and  say that the Romans need to work with the community, not against it. GD would call them jack sandled thugs. Etc...

View Quote
I can see the Romans having to have mandatory cultural sensitivity classes afterwards, conducted by some veteran centurion who'd raped and killed about 300 women in his military career.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

City limits are like 10 miles from riot position. No way would the Romans put their fall back position (which is what the camp really was) a days march away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Situation:

EvanWilliams recruits Legio X Equestrus to squash rioters in Ferguson in exchange for gold, silver, slaves. They teleport into the area, EvanWilliams orders them to attack at once. They laugh at him, tribunes and senior centurions dismiss idea and find an area to build a camp, per Roman SOP. Once camp is built and recon conducted they could/would attack.

But that's not saying they already wouldn't be attacked themselves. The Roman camp was designed to stop similarly equipped armies, it wouldn't work all that great if dudes were shooting rifles and pistols at them from the roofs of nearby apartment buildings all day and night, not to mention other things. Should the Legion fall out in battle array in the streets, they'd have to deal with the armored elephant cheetahs (big trucks).

They would start outside the city. They would build their first camp there, where they consider it safe. They would not just walk into an alien city not being ready for battle. They would have to send scouts just to see how large the city is. They also would not care about the riot position. They would start chopping down people near the city limits. Camp would move ahead once they secured the area.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Situation:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Situation:

They would start outside the city. They would build their first camp there, where they consider it safe. They would not just walk into an alien city not being ready for battle. They would have to send scouts just to see how large the city is. They also would not care about the riot position. They would start chopping down people near the city limits. Camp would move ahead once they secured the area.

Look at the map of the area, Ferguson is just one urbanized town in the greater St. Louis area. It extends for quite some distance all around it. For one legion to scout the area would probably take a month. By then the riots would be over anyway. The legion would have no reason to stop on the edge of city limits because not only would there not be a likely threat yet, but the objective (which is what they will get their payment for) is still many miles away. If they started outside the city, they'd have to press inward quickly.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top