Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, that really isn't an engineer's work but more likely an architect.

Second, the architect was following the demands of the political class at the behest of various communist organizations who lobby them.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GD is read selectively. I'm always amused at what people think is the general "vibe" of the place, because it's so much different than the vibe I'm getting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol at how GD hates engineers.  Pathetic.

along with SOF personnel, engineers are pretty much the universally acknowledged glorious master race of GD.  people kowtow to them.

GD is read selectively. I'm always amused at what people think is the general "vibe" of the place, because it's so much different than the vibe I'm getting.

you have a point--i always see engineering brought up in education and science threads.

i suppose my answer would probably be different if i read a lot of "how should i dress to attract ladies" threads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of engineers who indeed don't know shit, and ride on the coat tails of the few individuals who do.  But is that any different than any profession?

It's a case of hate the player not the game, because engineering as a discipline is as pure as it comes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wherever it is you work sounds like it has a terrible culture.
View Quote

It is a terrible culture, it sucks and I don't like it, but those were the card I was dealt, have almost 20yrs in, so a little late to back out now.

anything else you want to kick me in the nuts about?  (every armchair engineer, this is the life of an engineer, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't)

Edit:  as a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't example.
Don't put up what's in the OP, someone gets hit by a car, "why didn't you do something to save the pedestrian crossing the street!?".  Put up a speed hump as someone else suggested "My house fire could have been put out or my dad would have survived the heartache if only you hadn't install that hump that slowed the emergency responders down"
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the engineer hate. Makes me feel even more superior.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah. One thing have noticed is that most of the bashing is of civil engineers and mechanical engineers. Us EEs don't catch much flack, same for chemE's.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah. One thing have noticed is that most of the bashing is of civil engineers and mechanical engineers. Us EEs don't catch much flack, same for chemE's.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cause CEs make more money and get more pussy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to complain about work never seen in the public eye.

Yeah. One thing have noticed also. Us tards have something to say.

you got it champ.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone was telling me about a university or similar institution with multiple buildings that instead of designing walk paths along with new structures would instead wait for the grass to grow and people to wear trails into it, building sidewalks and landscaping around where the paths were worn in.

Not sure if it is true, but seems like a pretty smart idea to me.
View Quote

They did that at my college. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it at others.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha if only.
EEs rule.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ha if only.
EEs rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha if only.
EEs rule.

You make the light sockets in a monument.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol at how GD hates engineers.  Pathetic.

View Quote

On a website named after a gun that was designed by- you guessed it- an engineer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Too many engineers are "ivory towerists" when it comes to actual building or maintainance. Just look at some car designs that are nearly impossible to service w/o taking the whole damn thing apart it seems.
Engineers need to spend time in the field or the shop floor actually doing the jobs for which they design. Not just scuttling around being a gofer as an intern, or supervising from the shack or office, but actually get out there and do the actual building or machining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No
Its because people that have actually built something know how to build things correctly

This. Too many engineers are "ivory towerists" when it comes to actual building or maintainance. Just look at some car designs that are nearly impossible to service w/o taking the whole damn thing apart it seems.
Engineers need to spend time in the field or the shop floor actually doing the jobs for which they design. Not just scuttling around being a gofer as an intern, or supervising from the shack or office, but actually get out there and do the actual building or machining.

I like to call it practical application 101.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I'ma just walk around that booollshit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No
Its because people that have actually built something know how to build things correctly

Nailed it.

Well yea.  I tend to cast a suspect eye, when in the field and I see new boots and a clean hard-hat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
It takes a certain type of mind to be a true engineer. Lots of "engineers" don't have it. Lots of "engineers" are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It takes a certain type of mind to be a true engineer. Lots of "engineers" don't have it. Lots of "engineers" are fucking stupid.
View Quote

This^87
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I won't argue there. Blows my mind. I don't know how you can make it through the course work, and then fail that test. I just don't.

ETA: I'm referring to the FE. I haven't taken the PE yet, but from what I've heard from people who have the practice tests I've taken; it's about as easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone was telling me about a university or similar institution with multiple buildings that instead of designing walk paths along with new structures would instead wait for the grass to grow and people to wear trails into it, building sidewalks and landscaping around where the paths were worn in.

Not sure if it is true, but seems like a pretty smart idea to me.

That probably wasn't an engineering class...it showed common sense.

You're awful bitter toward us engineers..must suck to not be able to handle the course work or know we are a lot more respected than you

But I'm not a REAL engineer yet, just a degreed idiot waiting 2 more years to take my PE.

Also, its how funny how you're not a REAL engineer until you pass two pretty easy tests. They should just give you the title after 4 years of experience, the exams are that simple once you've done the course work.

Pretty easy - except for that less than 50% pass rate, eh.

I won't argue there. Blows my mind. I don't know how you can make it through the course work, and then fail that test. I just don't.

ETA: I'm referring to the FE. I haven't taken the PE yet, but from what I've heard from people who have the practice tests I've taken; it's about as easy.
What field. I just took the PE (EE) and it was far from easy. I passed but there wasn't anything easy about it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By fingas

What field. I just took the PE (EE) and it was far from easy. I passed but there wasn't anything easy about it.  
View Quote

He sounds like one of the "if you make under 350k per year and dont have zero debt you aren't winning" crowd. I can't say I've taken any eight hour  test walked out and over heard people complaining about how easy it was.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
ME here with my PE. Worked on both small capital and large retrofit projects in the field only, no true "design" engineering. Learned more "practical" knowledge in the field, but the book knowledge was still pertinent. You just had to know when to let that book go and look at what was in front of you in the field. For design engineers, I must say its much harder trying to design something for a retrofit rather than a green-field. Tolerances add up and all of a sudden that pipe that looked good in the 3-D modeling program runs right through a W20 beam in the field. Then you have to go back to specifications to see how you can adjust the pipe to fit with the requirements.

As far as the PE is concerned, it was pretty brutal, but if you have a good study schedule in the months leading up to it and tab your reference manuals, you should be OK. I took a backpack with 4-5 books while the guy in front of me had a full sized suitcase full of, I think, every book he had. I almost had a panic attack at the end of the morning session, but had 30 mins to spare for the afternoon session and was able to get out early. Promptly went straight home and guzzled 3 beers to relax and calm down. Waited a few weeks and got the pass letter. Much relief.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've worked in project management in commercial nuclear power. You ain't telling me nothin.

At another job I had an engineer draw up a new green sand casting dimensioned: 4.000", 3.250", etc. This part was not to be machined outside of cleaning up the edges.

Also had an engineer put a blind threaded hole for a set screw on the inside of a machined bore. Our machinist loved that one. Had the engineer go out and show him how it was done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer to use custom fabricated parts with +/- 0.000" tolerances with zero reviews for constructability or maintainability. The other guys will figure out how it interfaces with their systems...it's their job. Bonus points if it's new technology that no one has training on. Supply Chain's job is to source this stuff so I'm not sure why they complain...they get paid regardless. I usually take vacation when the fieldwork starts.

ETA: I forgot to add that my customers and stakeholders are idiots and don't really know what they want so I tweak it a little.

There are a certain group of my customers who seemingly insist on using custom designed parts no matter what despite the cost and impact on delivery times.

You could have a standard, off-the-shelf part that is .00004" difference and they'd insist on paying for a custom part no matter what.

I've worked in project management in commercial nuclear power. You ain't telling me nothin.

At another job I had an engineer draw up a new green sand casting dimensioned: 4.000", 3.250", etc. This part was not to be machined outside of cleaning up the edges.

Also had an engineer put a blind threaded hole for a set screw on the inside of a machined bore. Our machinist loved that one. Had the engineer go out and show him how it was done.

I think I know who at least one of those was.  Probably both.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top