Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2015 9:14:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
A perfect example of how engineers aren't necessarily the smartest kid in the room like they think they are
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I pray I never meet a Traffic Engineer.

I don't want to go to prison.......
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]

A modern day evil, those fucking walking trails

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone was telling me about a university or similar institution with multiple buildings that instead of designing walk paths along with new structures would instead wait for the grass to grow and people to wear trails into it, building sidewalks and landscaping around where the paths were worn in.

Not sure if it is true, but seems like a pretty smart idea to me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone was telling me about a university or similar institution with multiple buildings that instead of designing walk paths along with new structures would instead wait for the grass to grow and people to wear trails into it, building sidewalks and landscaping around where the paths were worn in.

View Quote

That probably wasn't an engineering class...it showed common sense.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn cyclists think they don't have to follow any rules.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

In recent years I noticed Tech has added a few more paved paths on the drillfield along the more popular shortcuts that have been worn in the grass for what I can only assume have been decades.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Common sense would've been to make the pedestrian crossing gently raised - like a 8ft wide speed bump, with a "pedestrian crossing  100 yards ahead" sign in both directions, 110 yards upwind of the said crossing. Better visibility for drivers and pedestrians.

Or better yet allow cars on sideways. That'll learn em.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Same stupid motherfuckers that put a man on the moon and returned him safely to earth.  Worthless, I tell you!

Carpenters, FTW!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

University of South Florida according to the legend. Let the ants design the mound.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same stupid motherfuckers that put a man on the moon and returned him safely to earth.  Worthless, I tell you!

Carpenters, FTW!
View Quote

Civil Engineers and Aerospace Engineers are two different species of Engineer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#12]
This one always gave me a laugh.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
And a perfect example of what happens with over-regulation and prohibition.

It's a black market path!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Charles Marohn at Strong Towns has a collection of pictures like these. The lines that people wear in the dirt are called desire lines. He once sat down with the city engineer from his hometown and showed him a picture of a worn path next to a road. He told the engineer that he thought people wanted a sidewalk and the engineer said "what makes you think that, Chuck?"
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Aren't some of the streets in some the older cities like Boston just paved over cow paths or something?

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Lawyers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#17]
If it was on both sides of the road, I would assume it's to make cyclists dismount and walk their bike across the road, but I'm confused about it's intent without being able to look around 360 degrees and see if the gate has some other purpose.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Glad to meet you....  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Knowing how the design side of things work, likely the designer was told there would be a wall/fence connecting to the gate.  Then, later somebody else deleted the wall from the design/construction without notifying the original designer.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Sure, overlook the Golden Gate Bridge, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam, the Interstate Hwy system, clean drinking water, on and on... and use that piss ant little crosswalk gate as the example that defines engineers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Aren't some of the streets in some the older cities like Boston just paved over cow paths or something?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that would explain why the map of Boston looks like such a cluster fick.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A perfect example of how engineers aren't necessarily the smartest kid in the room like they think they are
View Quote

In all fairness, real engineers view civil engineers as business students who couldn't find the correct class rooms and were too embarrassed at graduation to mention it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly
You guys that don’t ever deal with them or have to build retarded shit they think up have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it was on both sides of the road, I would assume it's to make cyclists dismount and walk their bike across the road, but I'm confused about it's intent without being able to look around 360 degrees and see if the gate has some other purpose.
View Quote

This.  I don't know WTF that is for, at all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
UW Platteville has a policy of paving over cow paths.  They did it to a few while I was there:  https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7328945,-90.489202,582m/data=!3m1!1e3

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sure, overlook the Golden Gate Bridge, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam, the Interstate Hwy system, clean drinking water, on and on... and use that piss ant little crosswalk gate as the example that defines engineers.
View Quote

This. I love it when people bash engineers. They love to criticize their work usually because they are too incompetent understand it.

When some construction work trash talks the engineer on his project or some mechanic trash talks the engineer that developed the car they are working on I just roll my eyes. If your such a fucking genius why aren't you designing bridges and cars instead of being a ditch digger or grease monkey? Oh yeah, its because you can't.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen it done that way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet that was designed by a liberal architect.

Quoted:

When I went to school, all those sidewalks pictured below were "goat paths" worn in by people.  They didn't plan ahead like your post suggests, but said screw it, lets put sidewalks where people are going to walk anyways.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I love it when people bash engineers. They love to criticize their work usually because they are too incompetent understand it.

When some construction work trash talks the engineer on his project or some mechanic trash talks the engineer that developed the car they are working on I just roll my eyes. If your such a fucking genius why aren't you designing bridges and cars instead of being a ditch digger or grease monkey? Oh yeah, its because you can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No
Its because people that have actually built something know how to build things correctly
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

No jury would convict you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Carpenters, FTW!

Yeah, civil engineers make targets and aerospace engineers blow them up.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No
Its because people that have actually built something know how to build things correctly
View Quote

This. Too many engineers are "ivory towerists" when it comes to actual building or maintainance. Just look at some car designs that are nearly impossible to service w/o taking the whole damn thing apart it seems.
Engineers need to spend time in the field or the shop floor actually doing the jobs for which they design. Not just scuttling around being a gofer as an intern, or supervising from the shack or office, but actually get out there and do the actual building or machining.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing is that the people that didn't design it don't know about all the constraints you had to design it to.  I love when I get asked why I designed X that way and I rattle off about a dozen things that it has to be able to accommodate while still having a decent factor of safety.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

Building something and designing something are two different animals. While the design may incorporate things that are less than logical in application the guy putting it together more times than not could not run the required design calculations to vet the design or make it 100% meet the applicable code / standard.

But hey places that save money by not having an engineer onsite during rebuilds ensure my on going employment, and business is good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carpenters, FTW!

Until they need somewhere to land and are thankful for civil engineers switching from BUS to CE.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey guys, lets make something so complex and costly just so we can stroke our own ego's!

Function?

FUCK FUNCTION!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Not in my experience.  The ones I hear constantly badmouthing engineers cannot fathom the amount of work and attention to detail it takes to bring even a seemingly simple project from concept to fruition.  And furthermore,  they have no desire to try and understand it, instead content to fall back to their repetitive complaints about how dumb and useless engineers are. Must help them feel better about themselves or something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Lol at how GD hates engineers.  Pathetic.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
The budget for the path was $3000. The path only cost $2000, if they did not use up the $3000 they might not get the same amount next time. The mayors good friend had some 2x4s and some 4x4s and green paint left over so the city payed $2000 dollars for it and the path ended up costing $4000. I doubt there was much engineering involved.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Usually the problem with engineers is that the question they are addressing is different than what the end user actually wants.  Cars, for instance, aren't built for the convenience of the mechanic but rather to be assembled quickly. City streets aren't built for pedestrians, but rather truckers and drunk drivers who need 13' lanes, and so on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey! I represent that remark
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. Too many engineers are "ivory towerists" when it comes to actual building or maintainance. Just look at some car designs that are nearly impossible to service w/o taking the whole damn thing apart it seems.
Engineers need to spend time in the field or the shop floor actually doing the jobs for which they design. Not just scuttling around being a gofer as an intern, or supervising from the shack or office, but actually get out there and do the actual building or machining.
View Quote

I have some experience in automotive design.  Just keep in mind the designers & engineers have a lot of customers they're trying to balance & "make happy".  Gotta make sure the design meets Government Safety Standards (NO leeway on that), fulfills customer requirements as defined by Marketing, makes the cost targets set by Finance, the Assembly Plant can build it, and Service can repair it...just to name a few.

The hierarchy is pretty close to how it's laid out above.  If there's concessions to be made, much of it comes at the expense of serviceability.  Yep, they're at the bottom of the totem pole.  Is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#47]

I laughed way to hard at that. I've had multiple contractors of different trades that had no idea what the cloud meant. Some of the inquires about them are hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Exactly
You guys that don’t ever deal with them or have to build retarded shit they think up have no idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

I have to deal with them every day at work.

I must have done something really bad in a past life.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Where's the fuckin' committee that told me to design it this way, despite loud protests of mine to the contrary?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Nailed it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top