Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 1:57:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
She's much prettier than the annoying actress that played her in the movie.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater after the motorcade scene.  

RIP Sailor!

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that. I don't really know what to say about it.

Regardless, she is promoting military wives staying with their husbands, PTSD awareness, and supporting her family. Plus, someone has to come up with money to keep Ventura going on in his schemes.

She is pretty, and seemed fun in Kyle's book. I didn't like her in the movie. I actually wasn't crazy about the movie, being focused on drama rather than his badass stories (exaggerated or not).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's much prettier than the annoying actress that played her in the movie.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater after the motorcade scene.  

RIP Sailor!

View Quote

yes, she is gorgeous in person
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I read the book before watching the movie.

The actoress that portrayed Taya doesn't compare to who she really is.

The movie sucked for me for all but the last 10 minutes, where I'm not ashamed of it but I cried til the credit started rolling.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I saw that. I don't really know what to say about it.

Regardless, she is promoting military wives staying with their husbands, PTSD awareness, and supporting her family. Plus, someone has to come up with money to keep Ventura going on in his schemes.

She is pretty, and seemed fun in Kyle's book. I didn't like her in the movie. I actually wasn't crazy about the movie, being focused on drama rather than his badass stories (exaggerated or not).
View Quote

I am sure mine is an unpopular opinion but, it's starting to feel like she's turning her husband's service and death into a business.

Personally, I find the whole publicity show a bit distasteful.

I really can't decide if she's doing good things because they are the right things or because they help her "brand."
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am sure mine is an unpopular opinion but, it's starting to feel like she's turning her husband's service and death into a business.

I really can't decide if she's doing good things because they are the right things or because they help her "brand."
View Quote
Post from another site, not mine:

How do we know that? While I agree that Kyle is a war hero and I
respect that he tragically died while trying to help out a troubled fellow
veteran, let’s not assume that because he is a war hero, he can do no wrong.

Specifically: Whatever happened to the repeated claim that the
book’s proceeds would go/had gone to charity, benefiting the families of his
fallen friends?

Consider what Kyle’s publisher wrote
after his tragic passing: "He dedicated his life in recent years to supporting
veterans and donated
the proceeds
of American Sniper to the families of his fallen
friends” (italics mine). An article in the Blaze definitively proclaimed:
"A perfect reflection of his character, Kyle gave
all proceeds
from his best-selling book American Sniper to the
families of soldiers killed in combat” (italics mine). Or this line from a Human Events article:
"For American Sniper, Kyle donated the profits from that book to charity.” Kyle
himself perpetuated this idea, telling the same proceeds-went-to-charity tale
to the Texas
News Service
and even adding that he regularly received tearful calls and
letters of thanks.

And now for the kicker: It isn’t true. Out of the staggering $3
million that American
Sniper
collected in royalties for Kyle, only $52,000 actually went
to the families of fallen servicemen. (Rather than 100 percent of the proceeds,
as the public was led to believe, try 2 percent!) While Kyle’s widow claimed,
in her testimony, that they never intended to profit from the book, and
"wanted” to donate the money to other veterans, she said they were weren’t able
to because of — get this! — "gift-tax laws that prevented them from donating
more than $13,000 each to two families last year.”

When Ventura’s attorney asked why they did not simply create a
nonprofit (standard practice) to be able to give away the money without
gift-tax concerns, Kyle said she had not had the time
to set up such a nonprofit.

Separately, she noted:
"We are trying to find the right places and not just throw it away.”

It’s true that giving money away effectively is more challenging
than many people realize. But it’s hard to believe neither of the Kyles was
able to sort this problem out: Surely it is quite easy to locate the struggling
families of fallen servicemen. And the challenges of setting up a nonprofit
don’t excuse the Kyles’ and the publisher’s strongly implying, and allowing
others to claim unambiguously, that they were giving all the money away when
this was clearly not true.

Why is there no concern for those families of other veterans —
many of whom, unlike Kyle’s supposedly destitute widow, probably are struggling
financially? Do those families, who were supposed to receive help, not matter?

So what does this all demonstrate, and why should it matter?

For one, Americans are showing a disturbing level of either
support or disregard for the legal system — based solely on what they think of
the parties involved. That is a dangerous approach. It’s against the
fundamentals of justice to decide how you feel about a case based on how much
you like the defendant or plaintiff, rather than the facts.

More important, however, it demonstrates a worrisome level of
blind hero worship. The idea that, because Kyle served his country bravely and
honorably, he was therefore always honorable in all aspects of his life, and
can do no wrong, ever, is preposterous. As Pocket Full of Liberty’s editor
Skyler Mann wondered:
"Not about Chris Kyle in particular but the hullaboo makes me wonder: if a
veteran does something super sh**** is it OK because s/he’s a vet?”

A jury, with far more information than we the public have
(including the chance to listen to witness testimony and watch Kyle’s
deposition), essentially found that Kyle lied. The fact that many conservatives
are furiously shaking their heads, refusing to accept this, and taking it even
further by attacking Ventura for daring to clear his name is extremely
disturbing. Ventura is the jerk for suing to restore his reputation — not Chris
Kyle for lying and making an easy target sound like a demon, for the sake of
financial gain and publicity.

Got it, that makes perfect sense. We supported George Zimmerman’s
defamation lawsuit, but not Jesse Ventura’s. Apparently, it’s not the merits or
facts of the case, but rather how likeable the parties are, that determines
whom American public opinion supports. Listening to the outrage brigade on
social media, big on demagoguery but short on facts, one can conclude that (a)
widows can never be sued nor are capable of unjustly profiting and (b) war
heroes are perfect in every regard of their lives, forever.

This is blind hero worship, at its most embarrassing.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How do we know that? While I agree that Kyle is a war hero and Irespect that he tragically died while trying to help out a troubled fellowveteran, let’s not assume that because he is a war hero, he can do no wrong.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do we know that? While I agree that Kyle is a war hero and Irespect that he tragically died while trying to help out a troubled fellowveteran, let’s not assume that because he is a war hero, he can do no wrong.

Specifically: Whatever happened to the repeated claim that thebook’s proceeds would go/had gone to charity, benefiting the families of hisfallen friends?

Consider what Kyle’s publisher wroteafter his tragic passing: "He dedicated his life in recent years to supportingveterans and donatedthe proceeds of American Sniper to the families of his fallenfriends” (italics mine). An article in the Blaze definitively proclaimed:"A perfect reflection of his character, Kyle gaveall proceeds from his best-selling book American Sniper to thefamilies of soldiers killed in combat” (italics mine). Or this line from a Human Events article:"For American Sniper, Kyle donated the profits from that book to charity.” Kylehimself perpetuated this idea, telling the same proceeds-went-to-charity taleto the TexasNews Service and even adding that he regularly received tearful calls andletters of thanks.

And now for the kicker: It isn’t true. Out of the staggering $3million that AmericanSniper collected in royalties for Kyle, only $52,000 actually wentto the families of fallen servicemen. (Rather than 100 percent of the proceeds,as the public was led to believe, try 2 percent!) While Kyle’s widow claimed,in her testimony, that they never intended to profit from the book, and"wanted” to donate the money to other veterans, she said they were weren’t ableto because of — get this! — "gift-tax laws that prevented them from donatingmore than $13,000 each to two families last year.”

When Ventura’s attorney asked why they did not simply create anonprofit (standard practice) to be able to give away the money withoutgift-tax concerns, Kyle said she had not had the timeto set up such a nonprofit.

Separately, she noted:"We are trying to find the right places and not just throw it away.”

It’s true that giving money away effectively is more challengingthan many people realize. But it’s hard to believe neither of the Kyles wasable to sort this problem out: Surely it is quite easy to locate the strugglingfamilies of fallen servicemen. And the challenges of setting up a nonprofitdon’t excuse the Kyles’ and the publisher’s strongly implying, and allowingothers to claim unambiguously, that they were giving all the money away whenthis was clearly not true.

Why is there no concern for those families of other veterans —many of whom, unlike Kyle’s supposedly destitute widow, probably are strugglingfinancially? Do those families, who were supposed to receive help, not matter?

So what does this all demonstrate, and why should it matter?

For one, Americans are showing a disturbing level of eithersupport or disregard for the legal system — based solely on what they think ofthe parties involved. That is a dangerous approach. It’s against thefundamentals of justice to decide how you feel about a case based on how muchyou like the defendant or plaintiff, rather than the facts.

More important, however, it demonstrates a worrisome level ofblind hero worship. The idea that, because Kyle served his country bravely andhonorably, he was therefore always honorable in all aspects of his life, andcan do no wrong, ever, is preposterous. As Pocket Full of Liberty’s editorSkyler Mann wondered:"Not about Chris Kyle in particular but the hullaboo makes me wonder: if aveteran does something super sh**** is it OK because s/he’s a vet?”

A jury, with far more information than we the public have(including the chance to listen to witness testimony and watch Kyle’sdeposition), essentially found that Kyle lied. The fact that many conservativesare furiously shaking their heads, refusing to accept this, and taking it evenfurther by attacking Ventura for daring to clear his name is extremelydisturbing. Ventura is the jerk for suing to restore his reputation — not ChrisKyle for lying and making an easy target sound like a demon, for the sake offinancial gain and publicity.

Got it, that makes perfect sense. We supported George Zimmerman’sdefamation lawsuit, but not Jesse Ventura’s. Apparently, it’s not the merits orfacts of the case, but rather how likeable the parties are, that determineswhom American public opinion supports. Listening to the outrage brigade onsocial media, big on demagoguery but short on facts, one can conclude that (a)widows can never be sued nor are capable of unjustly profiting and (b) warheroes are perfect in every regard of their lives, forever.

This is blind hero worship, at its most embarrassing.

That didnt take long.

*yawn*
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Regardless of you feel about Jesse Ventura, people need to stop making shit up. Taya Kyle didn't lose a penny because of Jesse Ventura, the insurance company paid it. Ventura is a dick, but the constant making up shit gets tiresome after awhile.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Regardless of you feel about Jesse Ventura, people need to stop making shit up. Taya Kyle didn't lose a penny because of Jesse Ventura, the insurance company paid it. Ventura is a dick, but the constant making up shit gets tiresome after awhile.
View Quote

I dont think this is exactly right.  As I understand it the insurance pays actual damages, not any punitive damages.  I don't recall the numbers but a large majority of the judgement was punitive and not covered by insurance.

Looked it up.  $500,000 in damages covered by insurance, $1,300,000 in punative damages not covered by insurance.

nat review article
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top