Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perfect timing on this thread, my computer was bought in '01(?). I really need a new one. I will admit that all of this talk is greek to me, but I know that I could build one. My problem is putting a list of components together.

I'd be using the PC for "home office work" but I do some FPS gaming and have an interest in other games but obviously my current set up is a 97lb weakling. With a newer rig I would probably also mess with making videos too. A mid tower designed rig would probably suffice. 800.00 would be my high limit, anything less than that would be a bonus.
View Quote

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($215.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($73.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.98 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $788.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 07:07 EST-0500

for an $800 budget, I'd concentrate on components that would provide an objectively quicker experience -- the i5 is a pretty solid cpu (an i7 would be better for video processing, but it's a bit more expensive. you could cut back cists on the GPU by switching to say an AMD offering perhaps to bump it up, but the current combination would be better for a jack of all trades sort of setup). The 960 is nvidia's new mainstream performance card, which will be plenty competent at playing pretty much any game on the market with most settings maxed on a single monitor. The RAM is the cheapest option for 8GB right now, and looks neat (heat spreaders look like rifles). The motherboard is sort of stripped down, with enough features to work with the locked CPU, PNY SSD isn't the flashiest (like an intel or samsung), but its plenty quick and well reviewed for reliability. Case is a no-frills standard box, and for ~$30 it lets us concentrate funds elsewhere that will actually determine how the system can work/game.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
For people getting into gaming. Do not get a multi monitor setup if you prefer first person shooters. You are way better off with one larger one. Multi screen smaller monitors are much better for flight/car sims than shooters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn you guys. I was thinking about getting a ps4 in a few months and y'all already had me questioning whether or not a pc would be a better option. Now there's a post with this detail? I don't know if my arm can take much more twisting.

Anyway, I had a couple questions (well probably many more but just a few that I can think of). One of the things I like about building a PC is that I can buy it in pieces over time. Is there an order you would buy in (I'm thinking new tech comes out frequently)? Say over a 3-4 month period, would you buy the case first, then maybe power supply as those are fairly standard and leave say the CPU til the end in case something new was being released? Or would you just buy the pieces you needed when there was a good deal on them?

Also, to start with I will probably play on my tv. I know a dedicated monitor will probably give better resolution, but as far as convenience and cost the tv will have to suffice for a while. Is it possible to build an entry-mid level computer in a smaller form fitting case without major cooling? I don't want to water cool it or anything, but I don't want it to overheat either. It's not a big deal, but if it's in the living room, I'd prefer if it didn't stick out too much.

I'm interested in your mech. keyboard update as I was trying to figure out those as well (long time laptop user). I can't subscribe (yet), but will keep an eye on this thread!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
there are a lot of specialized options for HTPC's, some of them get pricey.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Serious question from the console master race. If, say, I wanted to hook a PC up to a 55 inch tv, what should my specs look like to keep everything as pretty as possible at 1080?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Serious question from the console master race. If, say, I wanted to hook a PC up to a 55 inch tv, what should my specs look like to keep everything as pretty as possible at 1080?
View Quote

You could sit farther away from your TV and game with a wireless keyboard and mouse on a 55" if you wanted to, but you're probabaly not going to want to sit right in front of it because it will look like shit that close up

That said, any normal gaming build should work; you'll most likely be limited by the input method of a TV vs. that of a regular monitor...I don't think VGA or HDMI will look quite as nice as D-DVI, but I truthfully don't know all the differences offhand.

1440p gaming is affordable, but limited right now. a 2560x1440 monitor will give you almost 80% more pixel than a standard 1080P HDTV...combine that with a smaller screen size, like 27", and you have some awesome looking games

In a couple more years, 4K gaming, (which is still kind of a niche for those who want to spend the coin) will be the norm.

In 7 or 8 more years, consoles might display in 4K

Speed

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

biggest issue is fonts look really tiny at true 1080; that said, you could build a computer that would kick the shit out of a console for about $600 using all AMD components, $500 is doable if you cut some corners.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Damn you guys. I was thinking about getting a ps4 in a few months and y'all already had me questioning whether or not a pc would be a better option. Now there's a post with this detail? I don't know if my arm can take much more twisting.

Anyway, I had a couple questions (well probably many more but just a few that I can think of). One of the things I like about building a PC is that I can buy it in pieces over time. Is there an order you would buy in (I'm thinking new tech comes out frequently)? Say over a 3-4 month period, would you buy the case first, then maybe power supply as those are fairly standard and leave say the CPU til the end in case something new was being released? Or would you just buy the pieces you needed when there was a good deal on them?

Also, to start with I will probably play on my tv. I know a dedicated monitor will probably give better resolution, but as far as convenience and cost the tv will have to suffice for a while. Is it possible to build an entry-mid level computer in a smaller form fitting case without major cooling? I don't want to water cool it or anything, but I don't want it to overheat either. It's not a big deal, but if it's in the living room, I'd prefer if it didn't stick out too much.

I'm interested in your mech. keyboard update as I was trying to figure out those as well (long time laptop user). I can't subscribe (yet), but will keep an eye on this thread!
View Quote

It's easier to buy everything at once from a reputable dealer, especially if you have a problem with a part, as most places only offer a 30 day return policy on PC parts.

Yes, you can build that easily.

IBM M-Series baby.
Speed

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I sort of flipped out when I realized I wasn't going to be able to resolve some conflicts and was going to need to reload my old i7 930.  It's been running alright and with the exception of adding a GTX760 have managed to stop myself from upgrading for the last 1.5 years.  Sorta flipped out about the reload and I put together a list at Microcenter and drove through snowstorm to go pick new parts up.

New:

ASUS X99 Deluxe

Intel i7 5820k

16GB Corsair Dominator Plat DDR4 2800

EVGA GTX980 SC

Oh and a 32GB PNY Metal Attache thumb drive

Kept my Silverstone FT02 tower (it's a tank but the motherboard placement is nice and the 180mm fans make it almost silent)

Corsair HX1000 power supply

Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB

and a seagate 500GB 7200 sata drive... that somehow just wont die. Mostly music/movies/storage which is backed up by an Iomega ix2

I was an early mod guy and had one of the first Lian Li cases... Got over that mostly. Still have a window on the FT02 and find myself wanting to do a few small things here and there. Damn power supply wont do Corsairs new braided cables, and I'm not sure if I can motivate enough to do it myself :P

It is nice to be in that ever so brief window where I can install any game I want and crank everything to ultra and not worry about it too much.

Last 3DMark run (with bad memory timings) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5462566?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For people getting into gaming. Do not get a multi monitor setup if you prefer first person shooters. You are way better off with one larger one. Multi screen smaller monitors are much better for flight/car sims than shooters.
View Quote

So there are a few schools of thought on that...

A good 3 monitor setup CAN be really good in an FPS for peripheral vision, but you can lose things in the gaps between screens. It's also alot to track for the eyes and you tend to tend to lose focus on small detail.

The optimum monitor (so sayeth the gods of gaming ) is a good 24 non IPS.  Not so much real estate that you need to be looking all over the screen to see things, but enough that you get the detail you need.

I personally went for a 27 and am happy with it. I also went with an IPS which is a sin, but there's some things about this monitor I really like.  I do miss the color of my Ultrasharp tho
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

IBM M-Series baby.
Speed

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IBM M-Series baby.
Speed

UGH.  I started looking at these this week... Total rabbit hole!

Haven't had one in awhile, not sure on the switches on the new ones.  I actually found a place that sells a sample board for $10 with different Cherry switches on it to try...

I have a G19 now, but the mini display isn't nearly as useful as I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dell is to building a gaming rig what blackthorne/hesse is to buying a Larue.

You're talking about a company that bought a powerhouse in the gaming rig industry like Alienware and fucked it up without even trying.

But enjoy your 720 GTX. It's just as good as a 970 right?

I'd love to see you build a Dell to the same specs and performance as my rig for anywhere near the price. And I say this as a long time Dell account holder with several Dells in the house (just not for gaming).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch the Dell Outlet store and follow Dell's Tweets.  For New Years they tweeted a 35% off coupon code, which they extended until 1/18, that code has now since expired.

BUT - Meanwhile I bought a (refurbed) XPS 8700 with I7-4790, 8GB RAM, Win8.1Pro, 1TB Hard Drive, NVidia GEForce GT720 (weak but usable for gaming - but gaming isn't my thing).  1 year full warranty.  Brand new condition.  I ordered it on the last day of the coupon - and during that period many systems came and went, but weren't to my specs.... until 3 suddenly became available.  You have to know what you want, and visit the Dell Outlet store a couple times a day.

My cost with shipping after coupon: $530.  Not bad, nice PC too.  Change out the video card for something better and you'd have a sweet system - heck, I've been told as is, it isn't a bad entry level gaming system as is.  Considering roughly $300 of that system cost is the I7-4790 processor, getting the case, mainboard, power supply, DVD/CD, Win8.1PRO, 1TB Drive, warranty and assembly?  I now have another useless keyboard and mouse too.  If they and universal power cords had value I'd be rich.

I use it for video surveillance, replacing an I5-3470 which I was nearing maxing it out.

However, the inventory at the Dell Outlet store can change by the hour, so check often if you find a good discount code - or build some box yourself... I prefer to open a finished machine with full warranty - but in my younger days I would build PCs just because.

Friends never let friends do dell. Proprietary Motherboard.
Dell purchased Alien ware and turned it to garbage. For $530, i can built you a far superior system.

...GT720? what kind of gaming?

That $530 includes a fair amount of time to engineer and build a system that will likely work a long time - not a brown box full of other boxes.  In my business, time is money - I only wish days were longer so I could have my staff bill more time.

I live in a business world where Dell is accepted and "white box" PCs lost favor a decade ago - so the proprietary parts don't concern me - I am not an overclocking engineer.

There are videos of the system on the Youtubes showing various 3-D samples with the GT 720, but remember... that basic video card means nothing to me except that it supports up to 3 displays (I only need 2), and is faster than many internal GPUs, plus - at retail values of about $40 that card is expendable - but keep it around in case you need premium phone support speaking to Americans which is generally known as "enhanced" - which is included with my new machine.

Video surveillance PCs have a bit of overlap with gaming machines, in that they need speed - but 2D graphics is all that is necessary, and with a $8 cable I convert the unused DVI-D port to passive HDMI - which is all I need for display #2.  I'll have 2 HDMI ports off that card and stay within Dell's support limits, and avoid using the HDMI on the mainboard which isn't meant to be in this mix - Dell thoughtfully put a rubber plug over it so I don't accidentally try to use it unless I must.

I get it that the ultimate gamer PC must be colorful and water cooled, preferably with lots of blinky lights and extra fans.  Dell does not offer that - but to the casual first time gamer a system like I bought with a better video card is low hassle.  I usually buy Optiplex machines, this is my first XPS - and I have to say I'm impressed with the value.

I really don't mean to derail your excellent topic - but some guys need to know they can do this with a budget and a screwdriver with minimal research.  We get an occasional service call for a dude with boxes of parts that won't play nice together, even after his crazy Uncle Jim who knows everything about PCs tried to get it running.  Sometimes parts get zapped from mishandling or poor chassis builds - or even just with the screws to hold the main board down.  Some run until the CPU boils due to mismatched fans or heatsinks.  Some folks don't know that paste is often important, and how much to use.  Some folks don't know to not only unplug, but then hold the power button down to drain off the remaining voltage before inserting or removing a component.  Some folks have no idea about BIOS settings, or how to tweak the OS for maximum speed.   Heck, there's a lot I don't know about the new style PCs which I gain from threads like these - so I appreciate the thread.

Some folks don't belong under the hood of their car, or inside a PC.

I do appreciate your efforts to educate folks here, honestly I do - because they don't quite fit together like Legos yet, but that's just a matter of time - we're getting there though.

I just wanted folks to know they can buy an 80% lower and finish the rest themselves without starting from the ground up.

Hey, I used to hate Dell too - but they have a place in this world.  I accept that place, and don't worship them as you may think.  I'm not a fanboi, but I have spent millions with Dell for clients (I know this because I ran a report last week because I was interested).  

I hope you take this with a grain of humor, as we IT guys root for you gamers to have great success, but designing and building your own kick ass machine might be more of a challenge than finding that detent pin on an AR build.

Good luck guys, just be careful and ask questions if necessary.  RMAing new parts can delay your build.  Learn, then enjoy they hell out of your creation!

You're talking about a company that bought a powerhouse in the gaming rig industry like Alienware and fucked it up without even trying.

I'd love to see you build a Dell to the same specs and performance as my rig for anywhere near the price. And I say this as a long time Dell account holder with several Dells in the house (just not for gaming).

I don't think he meant it for gaming. And due to the overhead of stuff like an OS, low to mid price computers are difficult to build for cheaper than you can buy them from Dell Outlet. If you're not worried about gaming or expandability, they are a great choice. But Dell Outlet really shines for the laptops, which you can't really build yourself, and monitors. You can save sometimes 40, 50% off of retail with often the same warranty.

My family has bought a lot of refurbished Dells and they've all worked great (I game on a home built PC, so I don't use it for that).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok so this thread keeps pushing my toward building a dedicated gaming PC. I currently have a Sony KDL55HX820 in my living room. Is that adequate for a PC monitor or would it be better if I purchased a smaller (27"?) dedicated monitor?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I need a new PC. Mine is a HP 1170N Media Center PC from 2002-2003. I have replaced the power supply, HDD, and graphics card and added memory. I am in a bind really though. My funds are tight and I am having to house hunt 2 years earlier than planned. My son keeps begging to play minecraft on computer. But the computer is old, slow and I am fighting a nasty rootkit/regisrty/malware. So I can get a Dell for 20% off due to work. I can buy the computer already done and have 24 months at 0%.

If I build I would have to sell a gun, gun stuff to get it right now. We are on a strict budget to get a house. But I want my son to be happy and have a safe computer for us to use for personal stuff and taxes. I would need a max budget of say $5-600. Can it be done? I could use the old DVD burner and DVD Rom I have, and get a Blu-Ray in a full tower? Need Widows though, unless I could get one of our corporate copies and use it for work at home. So if anyone has a parts list for a budget build would you share? Or if anyone has a newer laptop that would work, that is better than the 3-400 WalMart ones I would buy one.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]
build lists

5-600 is doable, with some alterations to the above lists you could add an os and a blue ray DVD player.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Hedonist feels i treated him unfairly. So i welcome him to take over the remainder of the posting since he said has more authority on the subject. PM me otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
While I have only bought a name brand PC once in my entire life, rather than build, why can't you appreciate that building is not for everyone?  Some people can't even change a plate cover on a light switch if it cracks, or swap out a doorknob/latch.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hedonist feels i treated him unfairly. So i welcome him to take over the remainder of the posting since he said has more authority on the subject. PM me otherwise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While I have only bought a name brand PC once in my entire life, rather than build, why can't you appreciate that building is not for everyone?  Some people can't even change a plate cover on a light switch if it cracks, or swap out a doorknob/latch.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don' you appreciate that this thread isnt for those people? The thread is clearly titled. Building PC. Gaming oriented.

Maybe i should post a thread asking why don't we respect not everyone can own guns and stop talking about it? I'll go on the Arfcom thread guides on how to build AR's and tell them that too.

If they are THAT mechanically challenged, then they wouldn't even be on this on this gun board, or they would've ND'ed themselves to death. And they sure as hell wouldn't be on this computer, or on this forum due to the complicated nature of choosing an E-mail to log onto this website takes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you guys in the know please keep posting and not get mad a quit. For those of us who know enough but not enough this thread could help people like me needing a build and the ability to add upgrades later. I really need a new computer and if building gets me a machine my 7 year old can game on, do homework,etc that is close to a big box store cheapie machine price I am ready to learn. I have replaced heatsinks on CPU in past, so I have played with thermal paste.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
build lists

5-600 is doable, with some alterations to the above lists you could add an os and a blue ray DVD player.
View Quote

Thanks for this, I have some reading to do.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
build lists

There's been some changes in the market, I'll post a somewhat updated one to accompany his.

Are people still interested in this. or do they Want the IT guy to take this over?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are people still interested in this. or do they Want the IT guy to take this over?
View Quote

Are you a Texan by birth?

Yes, I'd be interested in an updated list.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can you guys in the know please keep posting and not get mad a quit. For those of us who know enough but not enough this thread could help people like me needing a build and the ability to add upgrades later. I really need a new computer and if building gets me a machine my 7 year old can game on, do homework,etc that is close to a big box store cheapie machine price I am ready to learn. I have replaced heatsinks on CPU in past, so I have played with thermal paste.

View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I recommend a lenovo Y500 series. avoid Alien ware. OriginPC's are GTG

IF it's possible. try to get something that isnt dependant in Intel Integrated graphics
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back on this please, a gaming laptop may be what I'm stuck with for a few years.

IF it's possible. try to get something that isnt dependant in Intel Integrated graphics

The reason I went with the MSI is the weight and size. 17" laptop that is thinner and lighter and still packs enough of a punch to play BF4. It's the only game I play and my laptop is usually on my lap lol....

-Less than an inch thick
-NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 970M

It will more than fulfill my needs and the look to me is nice. The last thing I want is a big thick laptop, I'll sacrifice a bit of power for comfort and size.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texan by birth?no. why you ask? Im reffering to hedonist the it guy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I've seen you make fun of Texans for being butthurt, and you're letting one guys comments derail a good thread and getting your jimmies way too rustled.

So I assumed you had to have some association with Texas to get so butthurt over such a trivial thing.  

It's a good thread and there are plenty of guys interested in building gaming PCs, so don't get bogged down with disagreements with one dude.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Since we've already established I'm a cheap and lazy console owner that wouldn't mind getting back into the PC master race, what's the current opinion on ibuypower?

I had one of their custom built systems in 07 and it ran great until I got rid of it in 2011.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since we've already established I'm a cheap and lazy console owner that wouldn't mind getting back into the PC master race, what's the current opinion on ibuypower?

I had one of their custom built systems in 07 and it ran great until I got rid of it in 2011.
View Quote

My current budget gaming PC is an ibuypower bought in 2010.  I've upgraded the video card, and last year I started having random restarts/crashes that I traced to hardware problems with my RAM.  Upgraded/replaced it and the computer is still humming along.  4 years in and one hardware issue....knowing that I still would have bought.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Just keep the damn thing going. You haven't gotten to peripherals yet!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Personally, I have 3 pawnshop PC's and 2 "built" PC's in the house, and I will admit that there is something to be said for having a pre-packaged restore CD for your TV PC when your GF cannot resist clicking on every piece of clickbait that facebook offers her..

That said, for single 30" monitor gaming, something like World of Tanks for example, would one be better off with a midrange video and a faster processor, or a better video and a lesser processor?  As a follow up question, starting with your $800 build, if someone were to have $900 to spend, what component do they upgrade (spend more on) first?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

ibuypower is grossly overpriced -- building an AR is harder than building a computer, there's only one place shit can go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll add my shitbox...

Probably don't use it enough to justify the $$ Ive put in to it, but was fun to build.. blows any console away
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#39]

What reservoir and water pump is that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ok so this thread keeps pushing my toward building a dedicated gaming PC. I currently have a Sony KDL55HX820 in my living room. Is that adequate for a PC monitor or would it be better if I purchased a smaller (27"?) dedicated monitor?
View Quote

If it's not a 4k TV, then a monitor is going to be much better (if you do have a 4k TV then you should select a video card that supports 4k).

Doesn't your TV have a VGA port hidden in the back?
You can see how it will look.
If not, you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter to plug in also (assuming your current PC has a DVI out).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The reason I went with the MSI is the weight and size. 17" laptop that is thinner and lighter and still packs enough of a punch to play BF4. It's the only game I play and my laptop is usually on my lap lol....

-Less than an inch thick

It will more than fulfill my needs and the look to me is nice. The last thing I want is a big thick laptop, I'll sacrifice a bit of power for comfort and size.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back on this please, a gaming laptop may be what I'm stuck with for a few years.

-Less than an inch thick

i would agree with you that is a nice laptop but the y500 i got for $900, nearly half the price you paid was:

gtx620 sli
i5 cpu
256gb ssd that i added
1tb drive that came with it

bf4 if i remember right i can play on 1080p at 50fps on medium settings. i think tho that it was cpu limited last i tried.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What reservoir and water pump is that?
View All Quotes

Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Res: Bitzpower Water Tank Z 250
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Are you overclocking?  Whats the gear?

I was considering messing with OC again and bought the parts for it, but still deciding on a fan or water.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($73.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

for an $800 budget, I'd concentrate on components that would provide an objectively quicker experience -- the i5 is a pretty solid cpu (an i7 would be better for video processing, but it's a bit more expensive. you could cut back cists on the GPU by switching to say an AMD offering perhaps to bump it up, but the current combination would be better for a jack of all trades sort of setup). The 960 is nvidia's new mainstream performance card, which will be plenty competent at playing pretty much any game on the market with most settings maxed on a single monitor. The RAM is the cheapest option for 8GB right now, and looks neat (heat spreaders look like rifles). The motherboard is sort of stripped down, with enough features to work with the locked CPU, PNY SSD isn't the flashiest (like an intel or samsung), but its plenty quick and well reviewed for reliability. Case is a no-frills standard box, and for ~$30 it lets us concentrate funds elsewhere that will actually determine how the system can work/game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfect timing on this thread, my computer was bought in '01(?). I really need a new one. I will admit that all of this talk is greek to me, but I know that I could build one. My problem is putting a list of components together.

I'd be using the PC for "home office work" but I do some FPS gaming and have an interest in other games but obviously my current set up is a 97lb weakling. With a newer rig I would probably also mess with making videos too. A mid tower designed rig would probably suffice. 800.00 would be my high limit, anything less than that would be a bonus.

Thanks DocBach, I appreciate the help.  

Some questions:

So the SSD is for the games and the regular HD is for the OS and other stuff?

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

If I wanted to go with an I7, which one?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

I use an SSD as a "C" Drive where all the program files are, then a conventional "J" drive for all storage files & folders (you can label your other drives with whatever letters are free).
Machine boots & runs faster that way.
Personally I would only build with W7 Pro & stay away from W8/8.1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

Install the is to the ssd, frequently played games can go on it too. Hdd is for media and documents and other games. If you want an i7, and don't plan on overclocking get the 4790.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some questions:

Windows 8.1 for the OS?

Install the is to the ssd, frequently played games can go on it too. Hdd is for media and documents and other games. If you want an i7, and don't plan on overclocking get the 4790.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

My problem is a play a lot of different stuff, and I'm not sure 200 gig SSD is going to cut it.  But I also don't want to spring for a bigger one....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top