[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the stuff!!!
View Quote

+1.  That and Blood Pudding.  Yum
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
At first I was , but then I was .  Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I could have possibly tried the mash before it got jellied. But no no no
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Toss in the trotters....skim off the froth....churn this hellsbroth.....The Queens tongue makes it sound even worse!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Toss in the trotters....skim off the froth....churn this hellsbroth.....The Queens tongue makes it sound even worse!
View Quote

Mine was trotters, tails, belly, shoulder, tongues, snoots, ears and ground.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, he goes on about it being a marathon, not a sprint, and it's a 2 day process.  He cuts apart a pig's head with hand tools.  He hand picks through the meat like 3 times.

But he's not going to bother squeezing lemons for juice and instead used bottled lemon stuff from the grocery?
View Quote

That bothered me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad's favorite is pontus (sp?).  It falls into a similar category as the cornmeal concoction that a few posters mentioned on the previous page.  He's got my 2 year old niece hooked on the stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What was wrong with it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was wrong with it?

I assume its like the same jelly thats in viener sausages except lots more. Nasty.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Post pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I  have a mix of pig parts boiled and some seriously gelatinous broth. I was figuring on adding salt, pepper, chopped fresh garlic and lots of chopped fresh parsley. Any other ideas?

Paprika?

Good call, I went with smoked paprika.

Post pics.

OK, I heated it back up to melt the jelled broth and added Knox gelatin and more salt, pepper,cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. I got it molded back up.

And tried a slice

This time  it wasn't near as crumbly. And now it's got a little spice to it, not hot spicy but enough to complement the meat.

Now I have to do stuff with it; this thing is 3.5"x4.5"x10" and weighs somewhere north of 4 pounds.

ETA;I guess it's more of a terrine than a head cheese, but it does have some head parts in it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OK, I heated it back up to melt the jelled broth and added Knox gelatin and more salt, pepper,cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. I got it molded back up.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/edb_2009/DSC_1003_zps30f2b0ec.jpg

And tried a slice

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/edb_2009/DSC_1004_zps15b5e156.jpg

This time  it wasn't near as crumbly. And now it's got a little spice to it, not hot spicy but enough to complement the meat.

Now I have to do stuff with it; this thing is 3.5"x4.5"x10" and weighs somewhere north of 4 pounds.

ETA;I guess it's more of a terrine than a head cheese, but it does have some head parts in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, I  have a mix of pig parts boiled and some seriously gelatinous broth. I was figuring on adding salt, pepper, chopped fresh garlic and lots of chopped fresh parsley. Any other ideas?

Paprika?

Post pics.

And tried a slice

I went to my butcher today. He said he won't order me a pig's head because what he gets nowadays is frozen and he can't know how long it's been frozen so he won't sell me a product he can't guarantee the freshness of. Used to be you could order pigs' heads no problem. These days, people don't eat that so the quality is meh. Told me I should go straight to someone who raises and butchers pigs. So I shall do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure the butchers at the Korean supermarket where I got all these pig parts could get me a whole head, but I figured with all those parts available why not go with what they had, it fits in a smaller pot in pieces( I cooked the meat in batches). Plus I didn't really want brains and eyeballs anyway. They also had lots of organ meats too, but I'm not so into that. Some of the recipes I saw said to include the skin and cartilage and all the fat. I left out skin, bones and cartilage and most of the fat except for the belly pieces.

ETA.  I think I'm gonna take a nice thick slice and wrap it in puff pastry and bake it, maybe with cheese.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sure the butchers at the Korean supermarket where I got all these pig parts could get me a whole head, but I figured with all those parts available why not go with what they had, it fits in a smaller pot in pieces( I cooked the meat in batches). Plus I didn't really want brains and eyeballs anyway. They also had lots of organ meats too, but I'm not so into that. Some of the recipes I saw said to include the skin and cartilage and all the fat. I left out skin, bones and cartilage and most of the fat except for the belly pieces.
View Quote

The things you left out, especially the cartilage, is what makes the gelatin. The gelatin you used is basically highly filtered boiled critter parts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And tried a slice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paprika?

Post pics.

And tried a slice

Looks good.  I'd try it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The things you left out, especially the cartilage, is what makes the gelatin. The gelatin you used is basically highly filtered boiled critter parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't leave the fats, skin, bone or cartilage out of the boil. I just picked out the meat to put in the mold. Some of the recipes said to put that stuff into the mold. The broth was gelatinous enough to turn to jelly when refrigerated but not gelatinous enough to hold all these chunks together and be sliceable. So I added extra and now a slice will hold together.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I subscribed to his channel.   I found listening and watching him work to be very interesting.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I need to practice writing clearly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
kinda sorta really glad flash player isn't working right now

I don't think I wanna know what head cheese is
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Guy sounds like a bit of a porker himself.

I think the "meat" to fat ratio is what determines the final grain of the loaf.   Pretty much any deli souse is going to include everything edible. This guy kept out some of the fat, skin, and connective tissues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guy sounds like a bit of a porker himself.

I think the "meat" to fat ratio is what determines the final grain of the loaf.   Pretty much any deli souse is going to include everything edible. This guy kept out some of the fat, skin, and connective tissues.
View Quote

Did you just call me fat?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top