BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As long as your firmware and date of manufacture fall close to that tiny ~1200 hard drive sample size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting report from Backblaze an online backup company.  The Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (ST3000DM001). a 3TB drive had a 43.1% failure rate.

See the full article here: Link

As long as your firmware and date of manufacture fall close to that tiny ~1200 hard drive sample size.

Not sure if serious
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting report from Backblaze an online backup company.  The Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (ST3000DM001). a 3TB drive had a 43.1% failure rate.

See the full article here: Link

Not sure if serious

Shhh. site staff we don't them run the yugo off the road......

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You may not be old enough to remember Micropolis.  Now there was a vendor with a shabby reliability record...

400,000 MTBF figure must be for a drive sitting on a climate controlled shelf, powered off.  Hard drives are like light bulbs, either back them up or at least run in a RAID configuration, because they are going to fail sooner or later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's why all my drives are western digital.  Seagates have always been notorious for failures

Been a while since I worked the IT Security side of things (getting back into it next week), but
I've been told by our techies to stay away from Seagate.

Anybody else confirm this?

I haven't used them in almost ten years.

Because they were JUST THAT FREAKING AWFUL when I did.

We're talking batches with >50% failure rates in less than a year, and the replacements that Seagate would send were recertified, and had ~50% failure rate in the first three months.

Now, some would last FOREVER.  But the early failures in some batches were just unbelievable.

Never had trouble like that with any other vendor, before or since.

You may not be old enough to remember Micropolis.  Now there was a vendor with a shabby reliability record...

400,000 MTBF figure must be for a drive sitting on a climate controlled shelf, powered off.  Hard drives are like light bulbs, either back them up or at least run in a RAID configuration, because they are going to fail sooner or later.

Well, hard drives do three things:  Read data, write data, and fail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.

Has Seagate - Crahsed
Had Maxtor - Crashed
Had Hitatchi - Crashed
Using WD - No crash even with 8 year old 750GB VR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's why all my drives are western digital.  Seagates have always been notorious for failures

This.

Has Seagate - Crahsed
Had Maxtor - Crashed
Had Hitatchi - Crashed
Using WD - No crash even with 8 year old 750GB VR.

Well, sample size definitely plays a part.  Once or twice a year, I put together a couple of packages of failed HDDs to send back to the manufacturer for replacement.  Drives fail from every manufacturer, you're not going to get away from it.  But, there's a big difference between, say, 1-3%, and ~50% over the course of a year.  Also important is how they handle the replacement... if a company sends a refurb as a warranty replacement, that's a pretty bad sign.

As for the WD, I found Velociraptors to have a noticeably higher failure rate than the RE2/3/4 lines.  Still quite reasonable failure rate, and WD was terrific about replacing them, but they're certainly not immune from failure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Western Digital or HGST for the win.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to interject a minor item here, and that is power save modes.  There is too much power saving mode crap going on to save pennies in electricity.  I'm a 30-some year IT pro, and over the last 10 years this power save mode has been involved in too many bios updates.  It also causes the drive to stop, cool, start, warm, stop, cool, start, warm - you see a pattern here?  How tight is that data striping now?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a thermometer built into these drives to calibrate head to disc distances and sector tracking - because it has to be influenced by temperature.  To me, a hard drive should always be spinning and given a comfortable temperature zone.

I just bought a new PC for my camera system, and among the first thing I disabled was power save on drives and Ethernet.

Just my .02 regarding certain things that I am not an expert on, but have an opinion.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I was recruited by Seagate to work international security and investigations in 1996.  Aside from that worthless fact, I tend to avoid Seagate drives as well.  A while back we had a number of problems with a couple of batches of them.  We just switched makes and have only seen the usual issues.  We are getting away from platter units in many places though.  The current SSD's are remarkable storage devices.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
OCZ SSDs & WD HDDs
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
WD Green series suck bad too, but nothing compared to Seagates rates of failure, and the 3TB drives for some reason are so beyond suck that it boggles the mind.

All our NAS are now WD Red 2TB, after WD Greens and Seagates started to fail at an unacceptable rate.  

I won't even put a Seagate drive in a laptop as a secondary drive anymore - It's not worth the effort of not putting in another SSD.

Aside from WD Reds, I am hearing very good results from the HGST line (another Western Digital co).
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Grrr that exact model is in my photo computer as a storage/backup drive.  Thinking I should replace it if the failure rate is that high.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I worked at a computer manufacturing plant about… Dang, it was 16 or 17 years ago now.

Anyway, some of the drives had an insanely high return rate. The drives would fail with CRC errors. Turns out a tiny, almost microscopic, resistor on the disk's board had tiny cracks. After being used for a while the resistor would open up and the drive would give those CRC errors. But it might not give those errors until the drive heated up and even then they could be intermittent.

One batch of screwed up components that probably cost less than a penny each killed hundred+ dollar drives that went into thousands and thousands of computers.

I wonder if the Seagate failure rate is due to a single faulty component or just a lot of cheap components.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to interject a minor item here, and that is power save modes.  There is too much power saving mode crap going on to save pennies in electricity.  I'm a 30-some year IT pro, and over the last 10 years this power save mode has been involved in too many bios updates.  It also causes the drive to stop, cool, start, warm, stop, cool, start, warm - you see a pattern here?  How tight is that data striping now?  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a thermometer built into these drives to calibrate head to disc distances and sector tracking - because it has to be influenced by temperature.  To me, a hard drive should always be spinning and given a comfortable temperature zone.

I just bought a new PC for my camera system, and among the first thing I disabled was power save on drives and Ethernet.

Just my .02 regarding certain things that I am not an expert on, but have an opinion.

View Quote

WD introduced a "Green" line of drives (I don't recall the exact designation)  that would quite aggressively park the heads and spin down.  When used in always-on RAID arrays, the heads would get parked and then brought back on so often that they could exceed the load/unload rating in a single year.  A lot of people bought them for RAID arrays without realizing that, and wore the drives out very early.  Their regular Raid Edition drives, though, work quite well for such uses - no surprise there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

SAMSUNG SSD PRO SERIES FTW
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Seagate has sucked shit since the 80's.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a lot of friends who go through large volumes of drives at work and/or own dozens for their personal use.   All of them tell me they're going to reach through the phone and strangle me if I buy Seagate drives.

Hard drives are cheap, it shouldn't be difficult to find a decent one.  And back up your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will never buy a Seagate again. I bought a Seagate drive. It died 3 months later and they refused to help me or replace it. Fuck Seagate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Seagate HD were pretty decent, before they bought out Maxtor, one of their competitors. Maxtor HD's were never as good as Seagate or Western Digital.

Seagate closed several of their own facilities, and moved manufacturing to several Maxtor facilities.

Almost overnight, Seagate HDs were suddenly less reliable. I won't buy one of them, ever.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not sure that's really a monkey wrench.

If the HGST 4TB drives only have a 1.4% failure rate in such a harsh environment, I'd say that's doing pretty damn good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure that's really a monkey wrench.

If the HGST 4TB drives only have a 1.4% failure rate in such a harsh environment, I'd say that's doing pretty damn good.

I would agree if we knew for certain that the HGST and Seagate drives in question were in the exact same operating conditions.  However, as the tweaktown article points out we do not know that and we do know the operating environment changed over time (the Storage Pods used to hold the HDs went through at least three changes over time).  It is possible that the Seagate drives data was obtained from different conditions than the HGST drives.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top