Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Seagate failures are nothing new.  That said, I'm running 2 of them now with no problems after a year.  I keep good backups, though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Mechanical drives.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow always thought Seagate was a good brand, I have used Seagate SCSI Cheetahs for years never had a problem, switched to Fujitsu SAS drives in my last build had two of those fail in a one week period, now I just use SSDs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's why all my drives are western digital.  Seagates have always been notorious for failures
View Quote

That's your misplaced brand loyalty talking.

All manufacturers have about the same failure rates virtually across the board.

They are mechanical parts. They are DESTINED to fail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's why all my drives are western digital.  Seagates have always been notorious for failures

Pretty much however as someone who spent many years in the IT world doing everything from desktop support to server administration I would choose WD over Seagate any day. I have personally had a lot of bad luck with seagate.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty much however as someone who spent many years in the IT world doing everything from desktop support to server administration I would choose WD over Seagate any day. I have personally had a lot of bad luck with seagate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have over two decades in IT operations, planning and design.

Consumer level are all the same, save the warranties of course.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That failure rate doesn't even surprise me. It's not very unusual.

Ever since the "Death Stars" there's been model number after model number of unreliable drives.

I've done a lot of Seagate RMAs, a lot of WD RMAs, no mfr seems immune to it, and I think all drives die at 3-5yrs anyway...
so just buy based on longest warranty coverage period and expect it to die eventually. Back shit up.

I only get pissed if they die within 3yrs, and I won't buy a drive with less than a 3yr warranty, period.
View Quote

Every now and then you get a good one.

I have an old Acer laptop, purchased in 2004 when I started college.  It has an 80GB 4200rpm drive -- still works fine, over 10 years later.  It might be slow as shit but it still works, and that laptop was hauled to class almost every day in my bookbag, tossed into cars, and generally not treated as fragile.  Heck I've never had any issues with that laptop other than the hinges eventually wearing out and shearing off (2x...I replaced them the first time but couldn't find replacement parts the second time).  Never even had to reinstall Windows.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the data even consumer level drives are not created equal.  Some of the Seagate drives have failure rates on par with the other manufacturers.  It's been a few years but I remember some of the reviews on Amazon about certain model Seagates produced in china had issues but Taiwan produced drives were OK.  Sometimes it's better to pay more and get better drives like WD blacks over the green for instance.  

Do your research and you can minimize your potential problems.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same concept but different write heads, platters, and controllers but I'm sure you know this. The .gov faculty I worked at for years before taking a different postilion within the organization had around 600 PC's which isn't a lot comparatively speaking but in my own first hand experience the failure rate of Seagate compared to WD has been astronomical.

My experience might differ from what you have seen but for the most part what i have seen is on par with what you will find on the web or hear from other guys that work/worked in IT.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you look at the data even consumer level drives are not created equal.  Some of the Seagate drives have failure rates on par with the other manufacturers.  It's been a few years but I remember some of the reviews on Amazon about certain model Seagates produced in china had issues but Taiwan produced drives were OK.  Sometimes it's better to pay more and get better drives like WD blacks over the green for instance.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

BTW only use the green for storage
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
lol, all my WD drives have failed, my Seagates have worked perfectly

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same concept but different write heads, platters, and controllers but I'm sure you know this. The .gov faculty I worked at for years before taking a different postilion within the organization had around 600 PC's which isn't a lot comparatively speaking but in my own first hand experience the failure rate of Seagate compared to WD has been astronomical.

My experience might differ from what you have seen but for the most part what i have seen is on par with what you will find on the web or hear from other guys that work/worked in IT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I supported the Federal Air Marshals we had A FEW THOUSAND Western Digital Raptors. 90 percent (not an exaggeration) dead in under 3 years. and about 50 percent of the replacements dead in the first year after swap.

It's all a gamble. The parts are mechanical.

Design (both the drive design and the case it's put in), software\firmaware, heat, shipping and use all deliver different results.

It's simply impossible to say "Seagate sux" with a straight face, if you are employing any level of intellectual honesty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow always thought Seagate was a good brand, I have used Seagate SCSI Cheetahs for years never had a problem, switched to Fujitsu SAS drives in my last build had two of those fail in a one week period, now I just use SSDs.
View Quote

Seagate used to be one of the best.  Then they merged with Maxtor and things went to shit.  They moved production to China and started building cheaper, shittier drives than everyone else to lock in OEM contracts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's a Seagate in general you should probably get a new one.
View Quote

This.  For mechanical drives, WD or GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]

When I supported the Federal Air Marshals we had A FEW THOUSAND Western Digital Raptors. 90 percent (not an exaggeration) dead in under 3 years. and about 50 percent of the replacements dead in the first year after swap.

It's all a gamble. The parts are mechanical.

Design (both the drive design and the case it's put in), software\firmaware, heat, shipping and use all deliver different results.

It's simply impossible to say "Seagate sux" with a straight face, if you are employing any level of intellectual honesty.
View Quote

Raptors have a short lifespan and WD is even up front about it. The speed was a trade off for the longevity. Please tell me you aren't basing your finding off from raptor drives
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I have heard this stay away from seagate for years and ignored it for years.

The only drive i ever had fail was a WD 10 years ago or so in a raid 0 setup.
The day the SEAGATE - BARRACUDA 1.5TB 7200RPM SERIAL ATA-300 came out i picked up 3 for gaming systems and all still work fine, I no longer do raid now that i have SSD's for boot drives.
If you research it you will see a lot of trash talking saying the drive is crap well they still run years later and not a problem.
Its luck of the draw you may get a good drive and you may get a crap drive no mater who makes it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
It seems like all the 2tb and above drives, especially 3, 4 and 5 have astronomical failure rates. completely unacceptable
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's a Seagate in general you should probably get a new one.

Specifically, WD Black.  HGST desktop drives are also great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually the 4's seem to be better than the 3tb's for some reason. Little Pony just had a Seagate Caviar 1tb fail but it was about 5 years old and was one I gave him from a previous build.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
120 TB worth of SSD storage

Our current SAN is a hybrid with 3.5 TB worth of SSD, a second layer of 10K drives, and a third layer of 7200 drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mechanical drives.

120 TB worth of SSD storage

Our current SAN is a hybrid with 3.5 TB worth of SSD, a second layer of 10K drives, and a third layer of 7200 drives.
I thought we were talking about "What's in your computer?". I run mechanicals on my iSCSI SAN, but not on my laptop or PCs.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And who here doesn't have at least a few SAN/NAS arrays backing their shit up?

I'm running three arrays including a four disk Drobo, a pair of two disk NAS systems, and I just added a wireless NAS to the mix for the phones.
View Quote

My play desktop backs up once a week and my at home work laptop and desktop back up in real time ony any file change made. I have small two drive Lenova NAS at home that replicates with another small four drive NAS on my work desk. The transfer leaves my network with 256 AES encryption.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#28]
(Knock on wood) I've got old Maxtors, WD, Seagate and Fujitsu drives running still. Haven't had any fail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

(Knock on wood) I've got old Maxtors, WD, Seagate and Fujitsu drives running still. Haven't had any fail.
View Quote
Maxtor ceased to exist in 2005. I wouldn't run anything important on a drive that old.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I haven't used them in almost ten years.

Because they were JUST THAT FREAKING AWFUL when I did.

We're talking batches with >50% failure rates in less than a year, and the replacements that Seagate would send were recertified, and had ~50% failure rate in the first three months.

Now, some would last FOREVER.  But the early failures in some batches were just unbelievable.

Never had trouble like that with any other vendor, before or since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been a while since I worked the IT Security side of things (getting back into it next week), but
I've been told by our techies to stay away from Seagate.

Anybody else confirm this?

We're talking batches with >50% failure rates in less than a year, and the replacements that Seagate would send were recertified, and had ~50% failure rate in the first three months.

Now, some would last FOREVER.  But the early failures in some batches were just unbelievable.

You may not be old enough to remember Micropolis.  Now there was a vendor with a shabby reliability record...

400,000 MTBF figure must be for a drive sitting on a climate controlled shelf, powered off.  Hard drives are like light bulbs, either back them up or at least run in a RAID configuration, because they are going to fail sooner or later.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You got problems, 2 of them.

If the BIOS only shows it as 830 GB, then you need to upgrade the BIOS, as it's losing the 2TB due to "wraparound".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
mother fucker.

eta I only recognize the model number because I've been trying to figure out why this stupid HP PC only sees it as ~830 GB.

You got problems, 2 of them.

If the BIOS only shows it as 830 GB, then you need to upgrade the BIOS, as it's losing the 2TB due to "wraparound".

There's no BIOS update.  Well, there may have been one but it looks like HP pulled it at some point.

Every time I buy a complete computer I end up regretting it.

Anyway, this Toshba HD is destined for a different computer now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You may not be old enough to remember Micropolis.  Now there was a vendor with a shabby reliability record...

400,000 MTBF figure must be for a drive sitting on a climate controlled shelf, powered off.  Hard drives are like light bulbs, either back them up or at least run in a RAID configuration, because they are going to fail sooner or later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been a while since I worked the IT Security side of things (getting back into it next week), but

Kalok, Rodime and Miniscribe were even worse yet.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Not to say there aren't differences between manufacturers, but the meaningful differentiators (Taiwan vs. China, etc.) have been obfuscated to the point that diligent research is necessary to uncover them.  Brand names mean jack shit anymore.   Not too many folks are going to go to the trouble for a $80 drive, and I include myself in that number.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Maxtor ceased to exist in 2005. I wouldn't run anything important on a drive that old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't important just commenting that it still works.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

Has Seagate - Crahsed
Had Maxtor - Crashed
Had Hitatchi - Crashed
Using WD - No crash even with 8 year old 750GB VR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Has Seagate - Crahsed
Had Maxtor - Crashed
Had Hitatchi - Crashed

I'm expecting a 2GB WD black label drive back from warranty replacement today.  I've had all those other brands fail too.

I did have a bad rash of Maxtor failures 10-12 years ago.. but not sure what bearing that has on maxtor drives of today (are they even still in business?)

Almost all drives crash, sooner or later. The odd drive will hang on longer than expected; however, the way storage capacities (and demands) increase, I'm not sure a 8 year old drive that still works is something to be that excited about.  750GB was a monster back in 2007!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I must be a lucky motherfucker. I have numerous computers that get used a lot and I have never had a hard drive fail. Never. Got my first computer in 1985 and have had at least one ever since. At a quick count right now I own over 20 hard drives that get used regularly.

I do backup regularly just in case but my experience has been that drives are pretty robust.

We have a computer at work that up until a few months ago was absolutely critical to our operations and it has hard drives from the nineties in it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Meh, all my important stuff is backed up online.

Though I did buy probably my first extended warranty ever on a new Seagate 3TB drive I picked up.

2 year manufacturer warrenty + 3 year $15 NewEgg extended warranty = covered till 2020  

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Just put 4 new HGST 4tb in a NAS.

3 year warranty - thats what matters to me. All brands will have some failure, have multiple backups and its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the NewEgg reviews on the WD Red drives that are supposed to be designed for constant running NAS drives, they have an amazingly high failure rate.  When capacity goes above 2 TB, the failure rate increases even more.  Their quality control has all but disappeared.   I'm not one for civil suits, but I would not be against a class action suit for their claimed MTBF's.  Their MTBF numbers are all BS.

I've been running five Seagate 2TB NAS drives in my FreeNAS box constant for 6 months.  Not even a hiccup, but 6 months is not even close to a valid useful lifespan of these drives.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I have 2 of those running in a RAID 1 array. They have been running for about a year with no issues. I'll have to check the manufacture date to see if they are outside that group mentioned.

The only drive (of mine) that has died on me in the past 4 years is a WD 500 GB drive. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's been my experience over the years.  Seagate = Fail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm expecting a 2GB WD black label drive back from warranty replacement today.  I've had all those other brands fail too.

I did have a bad rash of Maxtor failures 10-12 years ago.. but not sure what bearing that has on maxtor drives of today (are they even still in business?)

Almost all drives crash, sooner or later. The odd drive will hang on longer than expected; however, the way storage capacities (and demands) increase, I'm not sure a 8 year old drive that still works is something to be that excited about.  750GB was a monster back in 2007!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Has Seagate - Crahsed
Had Maxtor - Crashed
Had Hitatchi - Crashed

There was a bad run of Maxtor drives back then. The 3.5" 30, 40 and 60 GB drives, especially the slim ones had insanely high failure rates. I still have a box full of dead 40GB Maxtor slim drives that I never got around to throwing out. I saved them in case I got bored enough to swap controller cards between them and see if I could resurrect a few.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#46]

I haven't used a Seagate HDD in maybe 10 years or so, WD all the way. As a matter of fact, I'm still using some WD Raptor X HDDs that I bought off of someone on here years ago, and they were used.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Seagates decimating of their warranties on consumer level drives has really made WD the only choice for desktop drives.

Not that thats a bad thing, their black series are solid. I would avoid the greens, never seen a failure rate so high when I worked in computer service.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Not sure that's really a monkey wrench.

If the HGST 4TB drives only have a 1.4% failure rate in such a harsh environment, I'd say that's doing pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I have three 3TB Seagate drives. I'll check the firmware when I get home.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#50]
We have replaced between 500 and 1000 of these drives.  They were all bought at the same time and started failing last year.   We've premptively replaced all of them that were purchased.

IMHO it is not a coincidence that these things are failing since their manufacturing location was changed due to the massive floods a couple years ago in SE Asia.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top